Chapter 22

Chapter 22

A Chapter by Lizet Elaine

Between Lovers

Chapter 22

© Lizzie 2003-present

 

            At ten minutes to eleven, Alexandria’s name was called and she walked into the main dance room. On the far side of the room there were four people, all of whom Alexandria recognized from various press clippings she’d seen at the Dance Studio. From left to right, there was Veronica Troy, one of the first women to star in a Christmas performance for any Dignitary, Toni Mitchell, who was a recruiter and spoke with Alexandria in the past, Manny and Danny Spectra, the head choreographers. On the left of them, a man sat behind the piano and put his music in order.

            “Please state your name, age and the name of your musical selection.” Veronica Troy said looking over the brim of her glasses.

            Alexandria walked to the center of the room and spoke, “My name is Alexandria Bradshaw, I’m twenty-two and I’ll be dancing to Winter Light from The Secret Garden. She looked at the piano player, nodded her head and waited for him to being playing.

            Before she started to dance, Manny Spectra spoke, “Remember to keep your section between five and ten minutes in length.” Alexandria nodded her head and began to dance.

            As she dance to what the piano player was playing, she softly sang the words of the song.

 

Hearts call

Hearts fall

Swallowed in the rain

 

Who knows

Life grows

Hollow and so vain

 

Wandering in the winter light

The wicked and the sane

Bear witness to salvation

And life starts over again

 

Now the clear sky is all around you

Aah aah

Love's shadow will surround you

All through the night

 

            As Alexandria neared the part of the routine that was new to her she prayed that she wouldn’t stumble or fall. When she passed it successfully she thanked her mother who she could feel surrounding her as she danced.

 

Star glowing in the twilight

Tell me true

Hope whispers and I will follow

Till you love me too

 

Ah ah ah

 

Now the clear sky is all around you

Aah aah

Love's shadow will surround you

All through the night

 

Star glowing in the twilight

Tell me true

Hope whispers and I will follow

Till you love me too

 

Ah ah ah

 

            Seven minutes later, the music ended and Alexandria finished her performance by sitting on the floor with her arms draped over the side of her legs and her head looking down. She waited a moment to catch her breath and when she looked up, the four judges were talking amongst themselves.

Toni Mitchell was chosen to speak for the group, “Alexandria, your performance was simply amazing and we would like you to have a trial run during our Christmas program.”

            Alexandria was shocked, “The program that performs for the Mayor?” she asked

            “That’s the one.” Toni said, “If you do well in that, you’ll be guaranteed a spot come January first.”

            “Oh, my.” was all that Alexandria could manage, “Thank you so much.”

            “Don’t thank us,” Danny Spectra said, “ We should be thanking you. That performance was unlike anything I’d ever seen, especially from someone without formal training.”

            “Some of the greatest dancers are waiting to be discovered at the Dance Studio.” she said, “Again, thank you.”

            The group of four nodded their head giving Alexandria the cue that she could leave. Before she walked out of the room, Veronica spoke up, “We’ll be in contact with you Friday morning.”

            Alexandria smiled her thanks and walked out of the room. When she got to the hallway, the first person she saw was Ramon, “So?!” he asked walking to her, “How did it go? Better yet, how much did they like the dress?”

            “They didn’t ask about the dress, but on Friday, I’ll ask when they call…I have a trial session for the Christmas program!” Alexandria said with a smile, “The program that performs for the MAYOR!”

            “Oh MY!” Cherry said joining them and giving Alexandria hug, “This is so awesome! We have to celebrate tonight!”

           “Ohh, I can’t. I have to move the rest of my stuff into my new place and Jacob is treating me and my sister to a home cooked dinner.”



© 2008 Lizet Elaine


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
Added on March 4, 2008