Chapter 35

Chapter 35

A Chapter by Lizet Elaine

 

Between Lovers

Chapter 35

© Lizzie 2003-present

 

            Alexandria finally made her way to her dressing room after being introduced to groups upon groups of supporters of the New York Dance Troupe. She was also introduced to the honored guests in the three balcony box seats. When she got to her room, there were nearly twenty-five people in the fifty-foot by fifty-foot room. More flowers had arrived and they were sitting on the many tabletops and counter tops.

            “Your star has arrived!” Alexandria said making a grand entrance. Everyone turned towards the entrance and applauded, “Thank you…thank you.” she said bowing dramatically.

            “If they don’t give you a job, you can be lead teacher at the Dance Center.” Madeline said walking to her and giving her a hug.

            “And give up the life of living off my father?” she said jokingly.

            “I heard that.” Erik said from behind the group

            Alexandria was taken aback when she heard his voice. She walked through the group and stood in front of her father, “So even after I asked you not to come, you still did?”

            “Believe it or not, I was invited.” he said

            “And who would have been bold enough to do that?”

            “Someone from the building…I’m sure you know him…Jacob Cartwright.”

            Alexandria turned and looked at Jacob, “How could you!?”

            “It was the only way he would have let us have the party.” Jacob said

            “That’s beside the point!” she said, “You asked me what I thought of him coming and I said I didn’t want to be in the same room as him, and you still invited him. Some boyfriend you are.” Jacob winced when he heard her words.

            “Don’t blame Jacob for me being here.” Erik said, “It’s not his fault.”

            “Glad to see you’re taking responsibility for something.” she said turning and walking out of the room.

            “Lexi, wait…” Jacob said going after her, “Would you just wait a minute.”

            “Save it Jacob.” Alexandria said, “I wouldn’t want you to miss out on the party tonight.”

            While Jacob and Alexandria were talking in the hall, everyone in the room was at a loss of what should be done. A few people suggested they just cancel the party all together while others said they should go through with it.

            “Look people, this wasn’t just a party for my sister,” Brady said speaking loudly, “If I’m not mistaken, it was also a Christmas party. Lexi may not be up to joining us, but why should all of Shia and Jordan’s hard work go to waste.”

            “I agree with her.” Maria Cartwright said, “In this short time that I’ve come to know Alexandria, I’m sure she would want all of you to be happy. It’s Christmas Eve.”

            A few people agreed while others still said it would be right. Dola, Erik’s sister spoke up, “This is what we’re going to do. For those who still want to party tonight, be at the Commodore, if not, then Merry Christmas and you can be on your way.” she picked up Alexandria’s dance bag, box of shoes and walked out of the room. Behind her were Shia, Brandy, Erik, Maria and Timothy Cartwright, Jordan and his boyfriend D, and a few others. The rest filtered out of the room still unsure of what they should do.

+*+

            Alexandria made it out the back of the building and was standing in the back parking lot of the Radio City Music Hall. She was so furious at Jacob for going against what she wanted. ‘Why would he invite him?’ she asked herself, ‘He knew from the beginning I didn’t want him there.’ she sighed, walked to the steps of the deli and sat down. She shivered slightly as she watched the people walk by.

            “You’ll catch a cold that way.” Came Jacob’s voice to her left. He took off his jacket and placed it on her shoulders.

            Alexandria looked at Jacob, “How could you do that to me?” she asked

            “He really wanted to be there.” Jacob said sitting next to her, “He came to me early this morning and told me how much he wanted to be there…to see what you’re so passionate about.”

            Alexandria sighed, “Fine time for him to be interested in what I’m passionate about.” she said, “He should have been that way while I was growing up.”

            “That may be true, but at least he’s making an effort, right?” Jacob said trying to reason with her, “It really is better than nothing.”

            “As far as I’m concerned, it is nothing.” Alexandria said. She looked at Jacob, “But I don’t want to talk about it. Earlier you said you wanted to talk about us…”

            Jacob laughed some, “Despite all this excitement, you remembered?”

            “Mind like and elephant.” she said tapping her head and laughed.

            Jacob licked his lips and looked up at the sky. He was mulling over what he wanted to say and Alexandra could tell, but she sat there patiently waiting for him to speak. “There really isn’t an easy way to say this, but I want you to listen to everything that I have to say…” A chill went down Alexandria’s back and she nodded her head, “I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about this and I’ve run every possible scenario and they all end the same way…me saying that I don’t want to get hurt again and I don’t want to hurt you.” he looked her in the eyes, “I love you so much, but right now I can’t be in the kind of committed relationship I know you want.”

            Alexandria gave a small, shocked laugh and shook her head, “Wow, I really am batting a thousand when it comes to men.”

            Jacob took Alexandria’s hands in his; “It isn’t you…” he began

            Alexandria pushed his hands off hers and stood up, “Save the ‘it isn’t you, it’s me speech.’ I’ve heard almost every version of them.”

            “You haven’t heard mine.” he said, “This has absolutely nothing to do with you. This is all me. About my insecurities about being in another relationship.”

            “And I don’t have insecurities?!” Alexandria asked as she turned and looked at Jacob, “I go to therapist once every two weeks so that I can get over all the insecurities that I have. I go to a therapist and talk about my fears of getting into another relationship because I don’t want to get hurt again.” She wiped her eyes with the back of her hand causing her makeup to smear, “So like I said, save the speech. I’ve heard it before.”

            “I’m not saying that you don’t have them…I know you do.” Jacob said, “But I need to get over mine before you and I or me and anyone can have a committed relationship.” He walked to Alexandria and gave her a passionate kiss before pulling away and walking to where he parked his car.

Alexandria watched Jacob walk away then watched as he drove away. A couple of people who were walking down the street noticed Alexandria from the show and stopped to congratulate her on the performance she gave. Alexandria gave a small distant smile and gave a soft thank you. The people smiled and continued on their way. Other people stopped and asked if she was okay or if she needed help. Alexandria simply shook her head or said she was fine, so they left her alone.

            Some time later, Alexandria was still outside in front of the deli. She still had on her final dress, her dance shoes, which were ruined because of the snow and the jacket Jacob put on her shoulders. Alexandria was still in a daze when she heard her name being called. She turned in the direction of the voice but nothing registered in her brain.

When Trevor called out Alexandria’s name she turned around but he could tell that who he was hadn’t gotten through to her. He pulled to the curb, parked his car, and got out, pulling a blanket with him and walked to Alexandria and wrapped it around her.

When Alexandria felt his arms around her, she wrapped her arms around him and cried. Trevor was shocked and tried to pull away to look at Alexandria, but as he tried to move away, she held tighter. He stopped trying to pull away and tighten his arms around her. He didn’t know what to say, so he stayed quiet and hugged her.

When he felt her loosening her arms, he pulled away, led her back to his car, opened the passenger side door and helped her get in. Once she was in he closed the door, walked to the driver side, got in and drove back to their apartment building. He pulled into the basement parking, parked his car in the emergency spot near the elevator, got out, helped a sleeping Alexandria out, and they were on their way to his apartment.



© 2008 Lizet Elaine


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
Added on April 1, 2008