Chapter 30

Chapter 30

A Chapter by Lizet Elaine

Between Lovers

Chapter 30

© Lizzie 2003-present

 

When Alexandria got home from rehearsal she checked the apartment to make sure she was alone. When she saw that she was, she pulled out her journal, turned to a fresh page and began her entry. She had quite a bit to put down and didn’t know where to start.

 

December 23rd, 2002

 

This should have been done earlier, but more pressing things came up and I had to take care of them.

======

I’ve spent the better part of my down time from rehearsal trying to explain to my grandfather why I decided to leave the accounting firm I was at to pursue dance. Then the rest of the down time was spent working on a few moves for tomorrow’s show. Every five minutes Ramon or Cherry would ask about Jacob. I told them it was none of their business. I shouldn’t have said. Ramon started a rumor that Jacob and I were an item. I wouldn’t have minded, but I don’t even know if we are and I didn’t want everyone I work with thinking that I was taken.

On December twenty-seventh will be exactly seven years since my mother died. Every year for the last six years I’m made the trip from wherever I was to upstate New York and the little cemetery she is buried at. This year…this year I don’t know if I’m emotionally able to make the trip. I’ve gone so many times alone and held up, but so much has gone on in the last year, especially in the last few days, that I don’t think I can do it alone.

Granddaddy always said I was going to make some lonely man very happy because I’m so giving. I’m going to see the Goo Goo Dolls. December thirty-first in Chicago. It’s sort of a late Christmas gift for Jacob.

There’s been a buzz around the NYDT that we may have a New Year’s Eve afternoon show. If it happens, then no Goo Goo Dolls. I’m hoping I get to see them.

-L

           

Alexandria closed her journal and placed it back in her gym bag and under her rehearsal clothes. She looked at the clocked and noticed the time. ‘Seven forty-five. I wonder where Jake and Shia are…’ she thought to herself.

            Alexandria stood up, walked to her cordless phone, picked it up, dialed Jacob’s number and waited for someone to answer.

            “Lex, when did you get home?” Jacob asked when he picked up his phone

            “About forty-five minutes ago.” She said, “Do you know where my sister is?”

            “Over here waiting for my mom to finish dinner.” He said, “Didn’t you check your messages?”

            Alexandria walked to the refridgerator and looked at the message on the door and laughed, “I see it right now. I’ll be over in a bit.”

            “Well, dinner is almost done, so hurry.” Jacob said with a laugh.

            They hung up their phones at the same time and Alexandria went to freshen up before she went to Jacob’s for dinner. Five minutes later she was knocking on Jacob’s door and Timothy answered it.

            “Alexandria, glad you could make it.” he said with a smile.

            Alexandria smiled and walked in, “I was starving and Jake said the magic F word.” she laughed.

            “Dinner is ready!” Maria said taking the last of the food to the dining room. Everyone sat around the table and began to eat. At around nine fifteen, they were finished eating and putting the leftover food away.

            “Mom, you always make too much food.” Jacob said as he placed the last of the food in the refrigerator.

            “It’s called thinking ahead, dear.” His mother said, “Plus come Christmas, I don’t want to cook.”

            “So we’re having leftovers?” Timothy asked

            “Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without leftovers.” Jordan said jokingly, “Last Christmas we had ham sandwiches for dinner because dad forgot to defrost the ham.”

            “It wasn’t my fault.” Timothy said with a laugh, “I was out doing last minute shopping with your mother.”

            “Don’t blame this on me.” Maria said.

            Alexandria and Shia sat back and watched the family playfully fight.

            “I asked you three times before we left if you took it out and you said yes.” Maria said

            “But you believed me…” Timothy said, “That’s where you went wrong.”

            Alexandria looked at Shia and laughed, “Remember what just happened right there.” She said, “Don’t trust men to remember important things.”

            Maria laughed and looked at Alexandria and Shia, “That’s not entirely true.” She said, “They can remember important things…if they have to do with cars, politics or sports.”

            Jacob snorted, “I resent that comment.” He said, “What I was originally trying to get at was there’s too much food. Jordan and I hardly eat so the food will go to waste.”

            “Alexandria can take some with her, and I’m sure that new fellow from the party the other night will need food too.”

            “That’s right, Trevor.” Alexandria said, “I’m sure he could use the food.”

            “Why don’t you take some to him?” Jordan suggested.

            “Okay.” Alexandria said.

Jacob’s head shot up at how quickly Alexandria agreed to take food over to him, “Why don’t I do it. I could use another male friend in this world and I’m sure he could use one as well.”

Alexandria raised an eyebrow, “Okay…” she said

“What was his apartment number?” he asked as he stood up and walked back to the kitchen to get some food together.

“Umm, six oh one.” Alexandria said. The group looked at her, “What?”

“How do you know the number?” Jordan asked

“I asked…he told.” She said, then looked at Jacob, “Aww, are you jealous? That is so cute.” She stood up, walked to Jacob and kissed his cheek, “You have nothing to be jealous about. He’s a friend.”

Jacob nodded his head and grabbed a few containers, “It’s going to look kind of weird if I showed up with food…” he said

“No it’s not.” Shia said

“Yes it is.” Jordan and Timothy said.

“Oh fine!” Alexandria said taking the bag of food, “I’ll do it before I go to bed.” She walked to the door, “Don’t’ forget that tomorrow is the NYDT show. The tickets arrive tomorrow morning at ten.”

“Actually they came today.” Shia said, “Twelve tickets if I remember correctly.”

“But there are only ten in the group.” Alexandria said

“We should maybe…you know…invite Daddy…” Shia said, “And of course Noel, Tia Dola and Catty.”

“I guess so, but not my father.” Alexandria said with a nod, “So that would leave one ticket. I’m sure I can find someone else who can do.” She walked out of the apartment, “Good night, thanks for dinner and I’ll see you all tomorrow.”

There were a sea of goodnights as Shia and Alexandria walked out of Jacob’s apartment and to the elevator to take the food to Trevor.



© 2008 Lizet Elaine


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
Added on March 5, 2008