Chapter 11

Chapter 11

A Chapter by Lizet Elaine

Between Lovers

Chapters 11

©Lizzie 2003-present

 

            Jacob arrived at Pitney’s Pub and saw there was a line around the building. He went to the front of the line and looked into the open building.

            “Help you?” the bouncer asked standing in front of the door.

            “Just waiting for someone.” Jacob said.

            “This someone have a name?”

            “Yeah, Lexi.” Jacob said getting defensive.

            “So you’re Jacob?” the guy asked. He nodded his head, “You look better in the ads.”

Jacob laughed a bit, “Thanks…I think.”

“Alexandria is waiting for you. Back table in the left corner.”

Jacob nodded his head and walked into the building. He made his way though the pub and found Alexandria sitting at the back table and surrounded by men offering to buy her a drink.

“Is it too late for me to get in on offering to buy you a drink?” Jacob asked as he sat in a chair next to Alexandria.

“No, but you’re late.” Alexandria said jokingly, “I said five and its five after five.”

Jacob looked around, “Kind of hard to get through here.” he looked at the other guys who were still standing by the table, “And I didn’t know if you gave up on me.”

Alexandria looked at the guys and smiled, “Sorry, guys, maybe you can buy drinks another time.”

The guys groaned and walked off, “You’re quite the popular one.” Jacob said

Alexandria shrugged her shoulders, “I get by I guess.”

“When was the last time you paid for a drink?” Jacob asked as he motioned for a waitress to come over to them.

“I’m...twen…in my twenties so I guess about three years ago.”

Jacob laughed, “Well, we won’t be breaking that pattern.”

The waitress came over and looked at Alexandria, “The usual, Lexi?”

“Let’s spice it up a bit.” Alexandria said, “We’ll have whatever the man picks.”

“Our first date and you’re letting me order our drinks?”

“I have to see how good your tastes are.”

“Well I was think we’ll start with a Fuzzy Navel and then a couple of Long Island Ice Teas followed by whatever you have on tap.”

“You sound like a pro.” Alexandria said. She looked at the waitress, “That’s fine with me Judy.” Judy nodded her head and walked off.

Jacob leaned back in his chair and looked at Alexandria, “So how long have you been coming here?”

“Since I was seventeen.” She said, “My father used to play poker in the back room and my older sister and I would come with him.”

“You have an older sister?”

“Yeah, a couple years older.” Alexandria said, “She moved to Chicago to live with other family when our mother died.”

“I’m sorry to hear that.” Jacob said, “How long has it been?”

“About twelve years.” She said solemnly.

“So you were ten, your older sister was twelve and your little sister was two almost three?”

Alexandria smiled a bit and nodded her head, “Right on the head. How did you know?”

Judy came back with the drinks and placed them on the table, “Pit said he’d add them to your tab.”

Alexandria smiled and picked up her drink taking a sip, “Tell him thanks.” Judy nodded her head and walked off. “So how did you know how old my sisters and I were when our mother died?”

“Math is one of my better points.” Jacob said with a smirk, “Plus, your little sister looks to be about thirteen or fourteen.”

“Wow, you’re good.” she said after she took another sip of her drink

Jacob took a drink of his Long Island Ice Tea and licked his lips, “I know. I’ve been told that many times.”

“I’m sure you have.” Alexandria said with a laugh, “You’ve probably heard it many times and in many ways.”

Jacob gasped, “I don’t know what you’ve heard about me, but I’m as good as they come.”

Alexandria downed the last of her first drink and smiled, “I’m about as good as you are and I’ve been around the block once or twice.”

“I find that hard to believe.”

“Oh believe it.” she said, “But I’m not proud of it.”

+*+

            Two hours later, Alexandria and Jacob were pretty sauced and the Karaoke night was just about to begin. Jacob talked Alexandria into singing and she said that she would need a couple more drinks before she got up on the stage.

            Around nine, Jacob was pushing her on to the stage, “We wanna hear you sing…” he said as he slurred a bit.

            “Okay, just one, but then you have to.” she said. She flipped through the catalogue of songs and decided on Get the Party Started by Pink. While she was singing a crowd began to form around the stage and at the front was Jacob.

            Alexandria finished the song and the crowd erupted into the cheers. She walked down the stairs and over to Jacob, “So how was I?”

            Jacob thought a bit, “You’re one of the better Karaoke singers I’ve heard.”

            Alexandria laughed, “I’ll take that as a compliment.”

            “You should.” he said leading her back to their table

            “Hey wait, you have to sing too.” she protested

            “I don’t do well in front of people.” he said with a laugh, “So how ‘bout a private concert?”

            “Okay, let’s go.” Alexandria said, “I want this tonight.”

            Jacob laughed, “You sure you have enough alcohol in you to listen to me sing?”

            “I’m sure you won’t have any problem in getting me any more liquored up.” she said with a laugh, “Your place or mine?”

            “Can you make it two blocks?”

            “I think I can.” Alexandria said standing up.



© 2008 Lizet Elaine


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on February 26, 2008