Chapter 19

Chapter 19

A Chapter by Lizet Elaine

Between Lovers

Chapter 19

© Lizzie 2003-present

 

            Once Alexandria got to her apartment she went right to the elevator and up to the sixth floor to her apartment. She unlocked the door, walked in and locked it behind her. She rested her back against the door and took a couple of deep breaths. ‘He doesn’t know where you live, Lex…calm down.’ she said to herself. She pushed herself away from the door and walked farther into the apartment. She stopped at the machine that was sitting on the table near the entrance to the bedroom. She pressed the play button and walked into the room to get ready to meet Jacob.

            Alexandria, this is Toni Mitchell from the New York Dance Troupe. I’m just calling to remind you of your interview on Wednesday. You’re scheduled for eleven, be here by nine thirty to give any sheet music you may have to the house band so you can do a quick practice.”

            Alexandria made a mental note to have Ramon bring the music to her the next day before they closed the Dance Studio.

            “Lexi, its Shi. Just reminding you about our all day date tomorrow. DON’T forget. I have something fun for us to do.”

            Alexandria laughed at her sister’s message, grabbed a piece of paper and pen to write a reminder note about telling Jacob that she has plans in case he wanted to see her again.

The third message began to play and Alexandria instantly recognized the voice. She stopped what she was doing, sat on the bed and listened to the message, “So I hear you’ve moved on. Gotta love your father for being so easily manipulated when it comes to you. Why did you leave like you did today? I was hoping to get the chance to shoot the breeze…you know catch up on old times. I’ll be seeing you around, count on that, so maybe another time.”

When the message finished, Alexandria was chilled to the bone, ‘If he has my number, then he probably knows where I live…’ she thought to herself. Alexandria felt herself beginning to panic. She took some deep breaths trying to calm herself but it wasn’t working.

Alexandria began to fiddle with her fingers and the hem of her shirt. She looked at the clock, reached for the phone and dialed the number of her therapist, Theca Mandolin. The phone rang three times before it clicked over.

“Theca, it’s Alex…” she said out of breath

“Alex, is everything okay?”

“No. No everything’s not okay.” Alexandria said, “I saw him today and now he has my home number!”

“Who?” Theca asked

“Xavier.” she said, “I saw him when I was leaving work and then when I got home there was a message from him on my machine. What if he comes over here and tries something…” she began to breath hard.

“Alex, you need to calm down.” Theca said, “Take some deep breaths and think about this rationally.”

“Theca, my father gave him my number!” Alexandria said. Her breathing quickened, “What if he knows where I live?”

            Alexandria, you aren’t listening to me.” Theca said, her normally calm and soothing voice rising a bit, “Take three deep breaths.”

            Alexandria’s mind was reeling and she didn’t hear what Theca was telling her to do. All she could think about was her ex boyfriend finding out where she was at and doing something to her.

Theca was still talking, trying to get Alexandria to calm down when she heard a thud and then silence. “Alex?” Theca said into the phone, “Alexandria, are you there?” When Theca didn’t get a response she picked up the other phone in her office and called the police.

“Precinct Thirty-Eight, do you have an emergency?” The officer asked

“My name is Theca Mandolin and I’m on the other line with a patient and I think something may have happened to her.”

“What is her name and address?”

“Alexandria Bradshaw and her address is umm…thirty-eight fifteen West Sixth Street. Sixth floor, apartment six twelve.”

“Okay, we’ll send someone over there.” the officer said, “Do you know if she was alone?”

            “I don’t know, but she said her ex boyfriend had her number.” Theca said, “He’s abused her in the past she’s afraid he’ll do the same thing again.”

            “Okay, ma’am, stay on the line and we’ll let you know when the police arrive.”

            “The apartment may be locked and other than the super, I have a key.” Theca said

            “The super’ll open for us.” the office said, “Don’t worry.”

+*+

            Once Jacob finished in the shower, he got dressed, then decided that he would surprise Alexandria and meet her at her apartment and they could go out together. He grabbed his jacket, keys, and wallet before walking out of his apartment. He closed the door, locked it and walked to the elevator. Once in the elevator, he decided that he would call and see if she was still at home. Her cell phone rang before the voicemail picked up. He didn’t bother leaving a message. He simply ended the call and was on his way.

            Ten minutes later he was parking his car near the parking structure of her building. He noticed the police car parked in front of the building and wondered what happened. As he walked in he saw the officers talking with the superintendent. He shrugged it off and walked to the elevator. He pressed the button and the doors opened. As he walked in the two officers and the superintendent joined him in the elevator.

When Jacob walked out he was slightly worried when he saw them walked in the same direction he was going. He stopped mid-step when they stopped in front of Alexandria’s door. ‘What happened?’ he asked himself.



© 2008 Lizet Elaine


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on March 4, 2008