Chapter 31

Chapter 31

A Chapter by Lizet Elaine

 

Between Lovers

Chapter 31

© Lizzie 2003-present

 

            By nine thirty, Trevor was finally leaving the office. He put in nearly fourteen hours and he was beat. He still had unpacking to do and there were still a few items that were in route from his office in California that he desperately needed in order for things at the new office to run smoothly.

            As he made his way down the elevator from the fifth floor to the basement parking he went through the six pages of hand written notes of items that the office needed. There was drafting paper that needed to be ordered, dozen upon dozens of pencils and of course caffeine. He made a mental note to go to the store and buy the things that could be placed in the break room, as well as his empty apartment.

            ‘Tomorrow I’ll buy for my apartment.’ He thought to himself. He stopped mid-step when he realized the date, ‘Crap, Christmas.’ He rushed to his newly purchased car, dumped his things in the bag and headed to his apartment. He remembered that his mother was going to call him and he wanted to be home so he wouldn’t miss the call.

            By the time he got to the apartment building, parked his car, gathered his things from the back and got into his apartment, it was ten fifteen. Trevor counted back three hours in his head and knew his mother would be getting off work and heading to buy last minute things needed for Christmas dinner so it would be a couple of hours before she called.

            Trevor stood in his kitchen and looked into his empty refrigerator and sighed, ‘I can’t go without food again, tonight.’ He closed the doors and was about to call a local pizza place where there was a  knock at the door.

            “I’m comin’” he said as she walked to the door. He looked through the peephole and was surprised to see Alexandria and her sister. He opened the door and smiled, “Alexandria, Shia…what do I owe the pleasure of this late night visit?”

            “We come bearing food.” Shia said pointing to the bags they were carrying.

            “Jacob’s mom made lots extra and thought you could use the food.” Alexandria said with a smile, “There’s probably enough for a couple weeks.”

            Trevor stepped to the side to let them walk in, “You must have read my mind, or stomach. I haven’t eaten in a couple days.” He said with a small laugh.

            “Oh we can’t have you going hungry.” Alexandria said. She took the bags from her sister, walked to the kitchen and began to put the food away, “There’s ham, chicken, rolls, greens and lots of other stuff.” She said, “Oh!” she turned and looked at Trevor, “Do you have plans tomorrow?”

            Trevor shook his head, “I was just doing to unpack and watch some T.V.” he said

            “Well now you have plans.” Alexandria said walking to him, “There’s a show the NYDT…The New York Dance Troupe, puts on for the Mayor. I have an extra ticket.”

            “I don’t have anything to wear.” Trevor said.

            “You can wear a black suit.” She said, “It doesn’t have to be anything fancy.”

Trevor nodded his head, “Okay, when and where?”

“It starts at seven, but be there at five thirty.” Alexandria said going back to the kitchen, “At Radio City Music Hall.” She added, “And we’re going to have to do something about your lack of utensils.” She laughed.

“You have some in storage…” Shia said

“Thanks for reminding me.” Alexandria said, “I’ll get them for you tomorrow and either Shia or Jacob can bring them to you.”

“You don’t have to…” Trevor said

“Don’t worry about it.” She said, “I have to get going. I need some sleep, but I’ll see you tomorrow.” She smiled and walked out his apartment with Shia behind her.

+*+

            Jacob sat in his living room and looked at the list in front of him, “Are you sure we can pull this off?” he asked Jordan.

            “Of course we can!” he said, “Her sister and I have been working on it since yesterday. We already have the place, the time and all the food. All you have to do is get her there on time.”

            “What time do we have to be there?”

            “Ten fifteen.” Jordan said, “It’s here in the building, her father even said it was okay to use the meeting room for a couple of hours.”

            Jacob looked at Jordan, “How did you pull that off?”

            “I told him that everyone in the building wanted it.” Jordan said with a shrug of his shoulders, “And a few of the do, so he said okay.”

            “Okay, I’ll get her here. But you have to make sure your part here is done and ready.” Jacob said standing up and walking to his room.

            “J she’ll love this surprise party. I know she will.” Jordan said with a smile. Jacob nodded his head, walked into his room and closed the door.

+*+

            Erik Bradshaw sat in a chair on the balcony of his penthouse apartment. He sighed knowing that two of his daughters were so close yet still so far away. He knew that he kept them at arms length as to keep from hurting them, but deep down he knew that by doing that he was hurting them even more.

            His precious little girl Shia, so wise beyond her thirteen years, never really having a father in her life and seemingly not a care in the world. ‘She has everything to offer the world…’ He thought to himself.

            His dancing queen Alexandria, so much talent, grace, beauty and love. She was truly her mother’s daughter in every way. ‘There’s something about her…her mother knew it, but I can’t and still don’t see it.’ He looked up to the sky, “Tell me what it is Tina…tell me and I listen.” He sighed and looked back down at the street.

            His older, more independent daughter Brandy, so much like him, smart, business oriented and successful beyond all comprehension. ‘She’s the future of the Bradshaw destiny…I know she is.’ He said to himself.

            He had so much to be grateful about yet here he was this bitter man loving when his children are successful, but not wanting them to be too successful for fear that they would no longer need him.

            He turned, walked into the apartment, pulled the sliding glass door shut and walked into the living room. Sitting on the coffee table were twenty receipts from dozens of florists. He was going to make sure that Alexandria remembered her opening night as the night that her father put aside any hurt he had at his wife’s passing and be there to support his daughter like he should.

 

 



© 2008 Lizet Elaine


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on April 1, 2008