Chapter 29

Chapter 29

A Chapter by Lizet Elaine

Between Lovers

Chapter 29

© Lizzie 2003-present

 

            “Just fine sweetie.” her grandmother said, “I talked to Shia and she told me you were at practice. I hope I’m not bothering you.”

            “Nope, I just got in.” Alexandria said, “You got the tickets I sent for tomorrow, right?”

            “I just got them from the delivery boy.” she said, “Pop-Pop and I will be there with bells on.”

            “Please no bells.” Alexandria said with a laugh. Someone knocked on the door and Alexandria looked up and nodded her head, “Nana, I have to go. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

            “Okay, see you tomorrow sweetie.” her grandmother said. They hung up at the same time and Alexandria headed off to be fitted into the lead role’s costume.

+*+

            While Jacob was at work, his father stopped by to see him and how the shop was doing. When Timothy got to the shop, Rosie showed him where Jacob was working. “I see you have another car you’re fixing up…”

            Jacob looked up from the bucket he was sitting on in front of the driver side door, “It’s Alex’s.” he said, “Someone banged in the door and scratched the trunk so I said I’d fix them for her.”

            Timothy nodded his head, “I can see things are picking up here.”

            Jacob nodded his head as well and went back to putting the red paint on the door, “We have our days. Though I have been slacking just a bit.”

            “I bet you have.” his father said, “Alexandria is quite a distraction…”

            Jacob looked up at his father, “What?”

            Timothy laugh, “I do have eyes.” he said, “I saw you at the party last night.”

Jacob’s cheeks flushed, then he wiped his face with his hand, “It may not go anywhere…”

“Is that so?” Timothy said, “From the way you talk about each other, it sounds like you’re in it for the long haul.”

“I don’t want to get hurt again, and I don’t want to even think about hurting her.”

“Then don’t hurt each other.” Timothy said, “When you start thinking about getting hurt or not wanting to hurt someone, you pull away and that hurts just as much.”

“I don’t know…” Jacob said, “And I just got out of a long relationship.”

“A year ago.” his father said, “I would like to have some grandkids, and you aren’t going to be young forever.”

“God, you sound like mom.” Jacob said with a laugh, “And I’m only twenty-three. I have forever to think about having a family.”

“But I’m not going to be around forever.” Timothy said, “Think long and hard about what you’re going to do, before you do it.”

Jacob gave his father a small smile, “Don’t I always?”

“One word…” he began

“Don’t remind me.” Jacob said

Timothy laughed, “I’m supposed to meet your mother for lunch at Rocco’s so I need to get going.”

“I should be home for dinner.” Jacob said

“That reminds me, your mother is cooking dinner and wants you to invite Alexandria and her sister.”

Jacob nodded his head, “If she gets done with practice she’ll be over, but it’ll more than likely just be her sister.”

“Okay, I’ll see you tonight.” his father said, “Don’t work too hard.” he turned, walked out of the garage and headed where he parked the car.

+*+

            Trevor sat in his sparsely decorated fifth floor office. It was Monday morning and he was waiting for a few other architects to come. He knew his father called and told them when and where they were working so he figured they’d be strolling in any moment. As he waited for them, he began to wonder if he should have called to remind them yesterday or Saturday. ‘They’re only five minutes late…’ he thought to himself.

            Trevor stood and walked to his office door, opened it and stood in the entrance. He walked out and to the elevator just as it made a dinging noise and the doors opened. Standing in front of him where about fifteen neatly dressed men and women. A few of them he recognized from his father’s California office and the others were new to him.

            “I see we have a welcoming committee of sorts.” One of the men said, “You must be the boss’s son.” He extended his hand, “Mackenzie Stevens’ the name.”

            Trevor shook the man’s hand and moved to the side to let the people off the elevator, “Well, Mackenzie, you and the others are five minutes late.” He turned and walked back to the general area of the room, “Not a good way to start the day.” There were a series of ohh’s as the group followed Trevor, “Let me take this time to introduce myself. My name’s Trevor Wayne. I am Michael Wayne’s son, but I will not be referred to as the boss’s son. In this building I’m the boss. I have the power to hire and fire as I choose.” He pulled out a chair, sat down and waited for the others to do the same thing. When they did, he continued on with his speech “I don’t want to have to give a lecture about when work starts and ends, but as a reminder, in this office at eight forty-five for group meeting, back in this office at four forty-five for a group meeting. In between nine and four thirty-five you’re doing whatever work you have to do.” He paused, “Mr. Bradshaw will be in later on today because he has some kind of project that he will need our help in.”

            “Trevor…may I call you Trevor?” Mackenzie asked, “We’re all adult here, so please don’t treat us like children.”

            Trevor ignored the comment and continued on, “We have this entire office to ourselves. Feel free to stake your claim on any work area you would like to have. Make it your own so that you feel comfortable.” He said, “And one last thing, Enjoy yourselves here. The main reason I wanted out of my father’s shadow was to run things how I wanted, but since this is still his company, we have to have some kind of order should he decide he wants to make an unannounced visit.” Trevor stood up signaling he was done with his speech and walked back to his office.

            “What crawled up his a*s and died?” Mackenzie asked

            “Trap it Mack.” One of the women said, “You just upset because you won’t have free roam of the place.”

            Mackenzie gave the woman the one finger salute, stood up and headed off to stake his place.

+*+

            Some time later, Erik Bradshaw and his army of followers arrived on the fifth floor. As they walked into the main office, everyone quieted what they were doing and looked up. Trevor appeared at the entrance to his office and held out his hand when Erik stopped at the door, “Mr. Bradshaw, glad you could make it.”

            Erik shook his hand, “Nice group of people you have here.” He said motioned with his head to the others in the office, “Think they’re up for the long hours?”

            “A few of them may be, but I’m not too sure about the others.” Trevor said, “Join me in my office, won’t you.”

            Erik and his group walked in the office and Trevor closed the door behind them. He walked to the head of the corporate desk that was to the side of the room and stood behind the chair, “Gentlemen, shall we get to work.”

            The men joined in around the table, pulled out their chairs and began to discuss the upcoming projects that Trevor and his team were to work on for the next twelve to eighteen months.

            At a quarter to eleven, the men walked out of the room and Trevor motioned for Mackenzie to join him in his office. When he got there, Trevor again closed the door, walked to his desk and sat down. “Have a seat, Mack…may I call you that.” Mackenzie didn’t respond and Trevor continued, “We have three upcoming projects and I’d like for you to help me put together the three teams of five to work on them.”

            “Me?” Mackenzie asked

            Trevor nodded his head, “I’ve heard a lot about you from my father. If he can trust you, then I can too.”

            Mackenzie tried to contain his excitement, “What do you want me to do?”

            Trevor began to explain to him, in great detail, the plans that needed to be done. They talked about what each group member would be responsible for and the deadlines for the projects.

            “Bradshaw expects us to have all that done in twenty four months?” Mackenzie asked. Trevor nodded his head, “Well, it’ll be a strain, but I’m sure we can do it. When do we start?”

            “Beginning of next year.” Trevor said, “I’m sure you all have families and I don’t want to cause you to change your plans. Tell the group they’re dismissed for the Holidays and are expected to be here on time come January sixth.”

            Mackenzie stood up, smiled and extended his hand, “It’ll be a pleasure to do that, sir.” He said. Trevor shook his hand and Mackenzie walked out of the office to inform the others of what was discussed.



© 2008 Lizet Elaine


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on March 5, 2008