Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by thuaners

Two figures trudged through the snow.  it was windy and very cold, and flakes of snow were falling all around them.  They were going uphill, and looked like they were reaching the peak of a mountain.  One was a lady with flaming red hair, the other was younger, probably in her teens, with jet black hair.

The lady with the red hair, reached into her knapsack and pulled out a scroll.  She unravelled it.  "According to this map, we should see Anton's village just as we get to the top of this mountain."

In a few more steps, they had reached the peak .  They could see all the way to the horizon in every direction.

"So," said the girl with the black hair, "Where is this village?"

They both looked around for a minute or so.  No village in sight.

The black haired girl, whose name was Fog, came over to take a look at the map in the red haired lady's hands.  One glance and immediately Fog knew what was wrong.

"Is this the way you've been holding this map the whole time?" said Fog.

"Yes...." said the red haired lady, whose name was Maruska, "How should i be holding it?"

Fog took the map out of Maruska's hands, rotated it the right way up, then handed it back to her.

"See that compass picture in the corner?" said Fog, "That 'N' should be pointing upwards."

"I see," said Maruska slowly, "so you mean to say that for the past two months.... we have been walking in the wrong direction.?"

"Unfortunately, yes," said Fog.

"Hmmm...." said Maruska, "Well that explains that ocean that we crossed that wasn't on the map."  Maruska turned to face the other way, back down the mountain.  "I guess we go this way then, I suppose.  Come, Fog, let's get going.  It appears your master has made an error."

Fog smiled and the two of them began trudging back down the mountain.

"Mistress Maruska," said Fog, "It's going to take quite a while to get to this man's village.  Are you sure this is something that you need to do?  We can just go home and you could forget all about him, you know."

Without any hesitation, Maruska answered Fog's question.

"No."

Four months later....

"Manangatang village!" said Fog.

They were both standing on the top of a mountain.  Another mountain.  It was nice and sunny.  Down below, at the foot of the mountain, was a little quaint-looking village.

"Yes," said Maruska, "We finally made it.  And not a moment too soon.  I think my shoes have nearly worn out."  Just to prove it, she held up her boots and there was a hole worn through the sole.

"T'was a lot of walking," said Fog.  Then she said to Maruska, "So what now?  We go down to confront him?"

"Nay, my impatient little apprentice," said Maruska, "We wait until twilight.  I always imagined I would do this at night.  It seems cooler.  Sunny afternoon like this seems a tad too happy."

Fog nodded, and the two of them found a nice spot nearby, to set up camp and wait until nightfall.



© 2011 thuaners


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

That was nice. Mystery always keeps the reader hooked. Though I think there seems to be no relation between the first chapter and this. You could say something like 'and months after that in winter' or something else. Also it sounds quite silly that the Fog didn't look at the map earlier. Maybe you can say that Maruska never let her touch the map until when she finally lost the way. But great story though. Post chap 3 soon :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Thanks for the advice Scarlett! :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


That was nice. Mystery always keeps the reader hooked. Though I think there seems to be no relation between the first chapter and this. You could say something like 'and months after that in winter' or something else. Also it sounds quite silly that the Fog didn't look at the map earlier. Maybe you can say that Maruska never let her touch the map until when she finally lost the way. But great story though. Post chap 3 soon :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 6, 2011
Last Updated on April 26, 2011

Passion of the Liger


Author

thuaners
thuaners

Australia



About
Currently writing a fantasy adventure story online (called 'Passion of the Liger' :) ). hope you enjoy reading it ^^ more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by thuaners