July 27

July 27

A Chapter by Calypso

July 27

            Today was one of the few days when I tried to look nice. I knew I wanted to look good for my Dad. I figured if I wore nice clothes and make up he might come to believe that everything is all right.

            I exchanged my sweat pants for a decent pair of jeans and my hoodie for a graphic T-shirt. I put some foundation on and a smudge of eye shadow. Because my hair is still so frizzy I left it in a ponytail.

            After breakfast I grabbed my suitcase I waited for Dad in the office.

            I wasn’t surprised when I saw Dad in a camouflage pants and plain white T-shirt. Dad has never dressed well, the only time he ever tries to look nice is for Sunday mornings.

            Once outside I saw the church van and I wanted to scream. The thing is that you would think my Dad is a pedophile because he sometimes drives around in a white van without windows. Because there was a budget cut when the church bought the van the church’s name was monogrammed into it.

            You would be very sure Dad was a pedophile even more on Sunday afternoons. That’s when he drives a van full of pre-teens to Diary Queen for ice cream.

            “Why the van?” I asked as he took my suitcase from me.

            “I have to deliver some fruit baskets today.” Dad simply said. He opened up the van and I saw about twenty fruit baskets.

            “There were five funerals in the past two weeks. No one who goes to our church died though. It was just family members.”

I guess the church doesn’t think saving the dignity of the youth pastor wasn’t worth money, but sending fruit baskets that no one eats was worth the money.

I jumped into the can but before Dad could close the door I turned around and asked, “What about the other fifteen baskets?”

            Dad sinker, “Over half of our church is over 70. They seem to live in the hospital.”

With a loud slam Dad closed the door. I had to place one of the baskets on my lap.

“How are you?” He said as soon as he started the car.

“It smells more fruity in here then a gay pride parade.” I was sure to through a few jokes in so Dad never knew that I’m depressed.

His laughed was muffled and almost sounded like a sinker.

Once home Dad helped me out of the van.

“Why don’t you call Abigail?”

Dad poured a glass of milk for himself and me. I wonder if this should be written down in my food journal. I guess if I really wanted to know I should e-mail Janna. Maybe later.

            “Would like some chocolate syrup?” The say Dad said it made it sound like he wanted to put alcohol in my milk.

            “No thanks.”

            Dad’s eyes narrowed onto me. I knew that Dad wasn’t going to leave this kitchen until I had a glass of chocolate milk in my stomach.

            “Just a little.” He started.

            “No” I shot back.

            “It won’t kill you.”

            “And neither will denying it.”

            He raised his eyebrows. I have never talked back to him. He left the room without much else said. I could tell he was pissed. 



© 2011 Calypso


Author's Note

Calypso
This turned out oddly funny.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

At least she hasn't gained enough weight to feel upset her pants/jeans are getting tight or too tight. That's one major distress, gaining weight and your clothes don't fit. You feel like you have to go buy fat clothes because you're getting fatter.

The eating pressure is on. I'm glad she stood up for herself. Nothing worse than people trying to force you to eat.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Since I don't have a good relationship with my dad, I completely related to this. But, is this whole story centered around this girl and her dad? I know I haven't read much of it, and have really no right to make assumptions as I just have, but I type faster than I think.

Posted 12 Years Ago


It is good she stood up for herself. She doesn't always need to eat crap like that. It's good enough that she's drinking milk.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

At least she hasn't gained enough weight to feel upset her pants/jeans are getting tight or too tight. That's one major distress, gaining weight and your clothes don't fit. You feel like you have to go buy fat clothes because you're getting fatter.

The eating pressure is on. I'm glad she stood up for herself. Nothing worse than people trying to force you to eat.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i like this chapter, but i still can't figure out what will happen in the end. better keep reading... :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

nice job. I love literature where you can find humor even in the darkest of situations.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I thought this was a nice chapter.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This turned out really well. I loved the whole story up till now, and can't wait for the next installment.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

...This is an odd chapter...but I like it!

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

724 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 16, 2011
Last Updated on January 31, 2011


Author

Calypso
Calypso

WV



About
I'm a full time college student, part time worker. I'm two years away from my bsw! In my free time I read, write and sim. Check out my tumblr blogs some time. http://emmy-1127.tumblr.com/ more..

Writing
Sand Garden Sand Garden

A Story by Calypso



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..