August 19

August 19

A Chapter by Calypso

August 19

            Janna pulled me over today. She told me that I have a week and a day until I’m released. Apparently it’s apart of the rules that I must be told the steps.

            First Dr. Small will have on last meeting with me (that will be tomorrow) and see if she believes I’m mentally fit to leave. Then Wednesday I’ll meet with Dr. Mendel for extensive blood work and physical exam. On Thursday Dad will meet with Janna, Dr. Mendel and Dr. Small and there they will decide together if I’m fit enough to leave and make a plan for an after care.

            She told me not to worry though. I have a very, very good chance. Being in class today seemed kinda odd. I knew I was leaving soon but the classes keep on trucking. Mrs. Maxwell made plans for a test next Wednesday. After class I spoke to her. She laughed when I asked if it would be counted against me.

            “Don’t worry silly. You’re leaving soon. You should spend your time with the friends you made here.” She stood up to organize some books but paused mid-step “In fact you can turn in your book now if you want to. I’ll go ahead and contact your school and give you an A.”

            “Thank you for the grade Mrs. Maxwell!” I said surprised.

            “You’ve worked hard and was respectful, you deserve it.”

            I turned to leave the room but paused before the door. “I think I’ll keep the book.” I gazed down at the book I was holding, To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee. “It’s good. I want to finish it.”

            “As long as you bring it back before you leave.”

            “I promise.” I said as I stepped out of the room.

            During the first free break I stopped by the music therapist’s office for my sheet music.

            Her office is in a small alcove in the upper part of the room. In that small alcove there were three metal file cabinet, a very small keyboard and her desk.

            “What’s this for?” I asked looking though the sheet music. I hadn’t heard of any of the music. I held one up called ‘Psalms 43’ and she took it from my hand.

            “If I were you I would practice this more then the other pieces.” She then slipped the sheet music back into the folder she handed me.

            She was about to step out of the room was I asked, “Why is this one important?”

            “Because the speaker will talk about that verse in particular next month. If you want to you can practice during your free breaks.”

            “I’m leaving in a week.”

            She finally turned around and pursed her lips. “You have a piano.” It was more a statement then a question.

            “Naturally.”

            She smiled kindly, “Well then practice sweetie.” She waved and left me alone.

            I sat in front of the keyboard and played for ten minutes, but stopped because I realized I didn’t know Psalms 43.

            There was a Bible on the top of the center file cabinet and I figured she wouldn’t mind so I looked up the verse. 

            It read, “Vindicate me, my God, and plead my cause against an unfaithful nation.
Rescue me from those who are deceitful and wicked. You are God my stronghold. Why have you rejected me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy? Send me your light and your faithful care, let them lead me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell. Then I will go to the altar of God, to God, my joy and my delight. I will praise you with the lyre, O God, my God. Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.”

            I quickly wiped away a tear and was glad I was alone. After placing the Bible back on top of the dusty file cabinet I started practice with new energy.

           

     

           



© 2011 Calypso


Author's Note

Calypso
The verse from Psalms 43 is from the NIV.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hm. I don't know what an NIV is, and I don't understand the verse. I guess that kind of ruined the end for me, but the rest of the chapter was good.

Posted 12 Years Ago


It's nice to read she is getting better and has something she loves to look forward to, piano playing. She's reconnected with the music.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like it thsat things are gettign better for her

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great write! I love the Bible verse that you selected!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

580 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 20, 2011
Last Updated on March 20, 2011


Author

Calypso
Calypso

WV



About
I'm a full time college student, part time worker. I'm two years away from my bsw! In my free time I read, write and sim. Check out my tumblr blogs some time. http://emmy-1127.tumblr.com/ more..

Writing
Sand Garden Sand Garden

A Story by Calypso



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


August 23 August 23

A Chapter by Calypso


June 15 June 15

A Chapter by Calypso