Close.

Close.

A Chapter by Katrina At The Disco:D

It was around midnight when my phone started vibrating. I looked at the front screen and it was Katrina. I picked up.

"Hey, listen. I'm sorry for earlier. I made a mistake and I know --" I said. But she cut me off. She was making weird noises, it kind of sounded like she was gasping for air.
"Tay-tay-tay! Taylor," more heavy breathing, "Come hereeeee." she was begging.
"Baby? Hello? You alright?"
"No! No! No! Taylor," she heaved, "Cooooome!" her voice cracked and it sounded like her phone dropped to the floor. I dashed out of my room and slipped my shoes on. But before I could get out of the house, my dad stood tall infront of the door.
"Where do you think you're going?" he asked in a rough voice.
"Katrina called! There's an emergency!" I yelled.
"No, Taylor. You can't go."
"Move!" I demanded, then pushed him to the side. I ran out the door and hopped on my motorcycle. When I got to Katrina's apartment building, there were ambulances everywhere and one firetruck. Blue and red flashing lights. I tried to get through, but a policeman stopped me.
"My girlfriend's in there!" I screamed at him.
"I know, I know. There was a young woman lying on the floor gasping for air. There was smoke all over her apartment and that's when the person next door came barging in. She was very close to dying due to all the smoke, but we're pretty sure she's going to be fine." he explained.
"Let me see her..." I said.
He looked around a little for some reason and lead me to an ambluance. I saw her laying on a bed, her face was pale white and she had a breathing mask on. Her eyes were closed and after a few seconds, her eyelashes started fluttering.
"Baby? You awake? Can you hear me?" I said. She opened her eyes slightly and smiled. She closed them again and I felt the tears running down my cheeks. I smiled brightly at her and put my hand over hers. It was cold as ice. I grabbed it and they wheeled her into an ambulance. I walked away slowly to my motorcycle with my head down. I sniffed a little and got on. I turned the engine on and rode home, even though I knew I was going to be killed by my parents. The first floor lights were on so I knew they were both awake. I walked in and I heard my mom.

"Taylor?" she yelled, but in a soft-like voice.
"Yeah, mom. It's me." my voice cracked.
"Son, get in here!" my dad yelled. My dad and I never really got along and he was never home. I walked into the dining room. My mom had a soft look on her face and my dad's face was hard. "Where did you go?" he questioned.
"Katrina's. I can explain..." I said.
"Taylor, I said you couldn't go and you almost broke my hip there when you pushed me out of the way." my dad replied.
"Well, I almost was too late. My girlfriend was this close," I put my thumb and index finger close together, "to dying, dad! And you don't even care?!" I hollered. My mom gasped and my dad's face didn't change. He still looked mad at me. I just groaned and went to my room. I slammed the door shut. Damn. I felt like a teenage girl. I checked my phone and I got a missed call from Frankie. I called him back. Ring, ring, ring.

"Hey, man." I heard him.
"Hey, Frankie. What's up?"
"I heard what happened like 30 minutes ago," he said, "S**t man, I'm sorry."
"It's aight. She's in the hospital. I don't even know how her place was filled with smoke. The police wouldn't tell me. I guess I'll visit her tomorrow." I said.
"Oh, aight. Well, listen. Good luck and again, I'm sorry. Tell Katrina I said get well?"
"Yeah, sure."
"`Kay. Peace."
"Bye." I said then the line went dead.

I woke up in the morning and my eyelids felt heavier than ever. I got out of bed and jumped in the shower. I got out and got dressed for school. It went by like a drag and I just wanted to get out so I could visit Katrina. The final bell finally rang and when I rushed out of the school, someone was blocking me. Tiffany.

"What do you want,Tiffany?!" I screamed.
"I just wanted to say... I'm sorry. Truly sorry. I feel so horrible." she said quietly. I was still narrowing my eyes at her.
"Well, thanks I guess. But I don't need your stupid bullshit."
"I want to see her." she said, quietly again.
"What?" I said harshly. She looked up at me with her clear, ocean-blue eyes. They looked clear because it seemed like tears were about to fall out of her eyes. My face smoothened out and I walked to my locker. I gave her a motorcycle helmet and she held on tight. It felt kind of awkward. We got into the hospital and asked the receptionist for Katrina's room number. We were in the elevator, trying to stand as far as we can from eachother. We got to Katrina's floor and Tiffany kept her distance. Her heels were clacking and it was getting me irritated. We got to Katrina's room and I knocked on the door.

"Come in." I heard a quiet voice. Cracked. I opened the door and saw her. She looked better, but still pale. She smiled when she saw me and I grinned back.
"I'm here with someone..." my voice trailed off and Tiffany pushed her way through. Katrina's eyebrows pushed together.
"Hey, Katrina." Tiffany said.
"Hi, Tiffany. What are you doing here?" she asked, looking confused.
"I wanted to see how you were. I just feel horrible for everything I've done to you. I guess I was just jealous that Taylor wanted you and not me. How James did. How Frankie did. And surprisingly, how Lawrence really did. He wasn't faking, you know. I just want to apologize." Tiffany apologized. I looked over at Katrina and her eyes were filled with questions.
Instead of asking those questions, she answered. "It's okay, Tiffany."
"Okay..." I said, feeling a little uncomfortable. Tiffany sat down at a chair, flipping out her blackberry. She started texting, and it seemed like she was in her own world. I sank into the chair next to Katrina. She smiled and leaned on one of her arms and leaned in to kiss me.
"She's in her own little Barbie world." she whispered and giggled. I chuckled a little, but it didn't feel right. I needed to know what happened. Katrina looked at me like she knew I had something to say.
"What happened?" I finally asked. She sighed.
"Well, I honestly don't know. I went to sleep and then around 11:50 PM I smelt smoke. I walked into my living room and the room was filled with smoke. I ran to my kitchen and walked to my oven. It was at the highest temperature and I opened it. Flames bursted out and I scrambled back, hitting my head on the counter. I was unconcious for about 10 minutes then I called you. After I hung up, I dialed in 9-1-1 and told them to help. I have no clue why my oven was on. I haven't used it in the longest time... It was super weird."
"Oh. Any burns?"
"One on stomach. It hurts real bad. Second degree."
"Oh jeez, baby. I'm real sorry!" I said, kissing her forehead.
"I was so surprised when the doctor told me I was really close to being knocked out unconcious... forever. Thank God, I called them fast enough. I was breathing in so much smoke. I couldn't take it anymore. I really couldn't breathe smoothly through my lungs and I still can't. It's been a night and it still feels like there's smoke in my lungs. It hurts." she explained and then the door opened and closed. I looked over and there was nurse with a blood-pressure thing, I didn't know what it was called, and she smiled at me. Tiffany was looking up, finally entering reality.
"Katrina, we have to check your blood pressue. Then you're going to have a doctor check up on you. I'm sorry, guys, but you're going to have to leave." the nurse said.
"It's okay. Bye, love." I kissed Katrina and headed towards the door.
"Bye, Katrina." Tiffany said quietly and followed after me.
 
We got to the parking lot and I asked her if she wanted to go home or to school. She said school because her car was still there. I dropped her off and she said thanks. I told her to keep the helmet for now androde off. I got home and took a nice, long nap. I didn't want to wake up until Katrina was back. Yet, I couldn't believe she was so close to death. I have no clue what I would do with myself. Losing the one I loved. The one I wanted to marry. The one I wanted to be with. Forever.
But, I thought to myself, Why was her oven on in the first place?
 


© 2009 Katrina At The Disco:D


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on May 9, 2009


Author

Katrina At The Disco:D
Katrina At The Disco:D

L-town.(:, NJ



About
i love writing. and i love reading even more. more..

Writing