Chapter 12: Not Awkward

Chapter 12: Not Awkward

A Chapter by Vertigo Cat1111
"

Link and Midna are getting some rest, but being apart so long makes conversations bubble up... and feelings.

"
Link nestled himself in the grass, trying to get warm on this rather chilly northern September night. He glanced over at Midna, most worry stemming from her own warmth. He hoped she was warm enough, and while he longed to ask, he knew he MAY get his head bitten off. She seemed rather comfortable now, and so, after the long, and rather quicksandy day, he wanted to start up a friendly conversation.

"So, what have you been doing, before I stole you from your kingdom?" He joked lightly. For a moment, he froze, wondering if he was better off asking a different, perhaps less insensible question, but as she smiled, he remembered her sense of humor.

"Oh, apologizing frequently, battle training, fixing things, politics-" "Then why don't you-" "Link, this is what I wanted. I missed my kingdom," she reassures rather quickly.

Then he realized... it was probably his fault she missed it, now. "I'm sorry. I took you away from them." He stared at her for her answer and got one in the right amount of time. She shook her head vigourously. "Don't be," she said, nose scrunched up a bit, and it made him wonder... maybe she missed and loved her people, but the rest was odds and ends.

That's when Link began to wonder... how much thrilling and easier would it be, if they did it together? Not- not in a king and queen way- no, but-

"What did you think I'd been doing?" Midna asked, the two of them staring up at the stars.

Oh, well... Link fidgeted, as he hadn't expected this question. The thing that'd been dancing around in his mind forever. What SHE'D been doing. Not that Link had never been asked what he thought of something- but when it came to personal stuff, he was never exactly... honest.

So, to BE honest... It was just them now, right?

"I'd figured you'd probably moved on... married a handsome, rich guy." "Pfft? Seriously?" She asked, blinking away from the stars to look at him, squinting a bit. He nodded quickly, a bit nervous about what was next to come out of her mouth. "No way. There's not many men or women in that world I'd like to date, and besides," she chuckled. "I don't NEED a rich guy. I'm already loaded, back at the Realm," she smugly joked. Link was entranced. So then- But then he watched her face fall. 

"Well, after fixing the repairs of the kingdom, I don't know about rich-" She stopped when she glanced at a wide-eyed Link. She decided to turn off her little joke now before Link offered her some sort of money. (Even though rupees wouldn't even work as currency there.)

"I'm just kidding, I'm just kidding, Link," she said quickly.

Link breathed a quick sigh of relief, feeling rather embarrassed. Of course, the kingdom wasn't broke- that'd be a bigger concerned for her... Link blinked and turned his head down, as he sat up.

 He stared at some a plate, that used to hold food they'd finished earlier. "So... you're not married? Or with anyone... R-really?" He also wanted to ask if she was just, well, simply in LOVE... but he found he'd rather not. It may torture him not knowing, but he figured if that what came out of Midna's mouth was what he hoped it was NOT... he'd regret it deeply.

And all Midna did, was a nod in the silent awkwardness. He shoved the thoughts away. 

Something was growing stronger between them. They couldn't say what-although he... THEY sorta knew, and it was almost extremely AWKWARD.

For Link, it was scary. If Midna ever knew how fast his heart pounded when he saw her... he'd be launched all the way back to Hyrule, and probably past that...

For Midna, it was confusing, especially annoying. If Link ever knew the butterflies she got when he smiled, she'd DIE.

It was wrong... gross, disgusting, she tried to convince herself. But was it really? The only time she had felt something even similar to this, it was when she was little, having a crush on one of her father's friend's sons, the same age as her, and then when she was about a teen, a friend of hers. She was still friends with the girl but found her feelings faded over time. Midna found herself being attracted to both females and males but had never truly... been with anyone.

Wait- she nearly lost her dinner- she sat up... did she just compare her current emotions... to LOVE? CRUSHES? Disgusting!

"Midna, are you okay?" Link asked, and Midna nearly snapped at him, about to ask why he was so worried, then realized she'd launched up quickly in shock. She tried to shake the thought off and nodded. "Yeah, fine."

Currently, they were in a small area, much like Hena's Fishing Hole, but without a house there, of course. It was just very secluded, peaceful and rounded like that, the lake glittering as it reflected the moon. The flowers swayed in the wind, gentle but promising of a coming storm somehow. Clouds swarmed around the moon, and the stars glittered. In other words, it was pretty and romantic. NOT awkward. 

Okay, well not romantic. Just nice.

Midna sighed, and grabbed a glass and fiddled around with it. The twilit turned it upside down, and liquid spilling out onto the grass, with a small splash.
"Oh," she said simply. Link's mouth twitched in amusement, and he quickly stopped it, trying to hide it. If Midna saw his little chuckle... well...

A question came up in his mind. He could ask her anything, right? He had asked about her father before... what about her mom? His mind wasn't completely clear, fogged with sleep when he asked.

"So... I know about your dad, but what about your mom, then?" 
"Same fate, Link."

The way she addressed him by his name at the end of the sentence told him not to ask any more questions, but he knew he had to know more if they were ever to-

Well, he didn't know, but he knew... He had to learn more about his best friend and her past. She may be the closest friend he'd ever had, but they still knew little of each other's past. Yet, more then Ilia and such knew. He wondered if Midna had a closer friend back at home. Maybe a lover?

That... rattled him to the core.

At the moment, he'd asked of her father, who she had smiled proudly, and said he was a wise and kind man. The best ruler in all of the Twilight Realm, with a warm heart, but knew when to put his foot down. A gruff yet sociable and good-hearted kind of father. The kind Link wished he'd have. But as he thought that, he suddenly realized... Rusl was a father figure, was he not? Not of blood, but the best one any could ask for. Link had learned a long time ago, blood doesn't matter in families.

Link finally got through his thick head, maybe dead family members weren't exactly what Midna liked to talk about, especially considering her tone of voice, and he decided to take a mental note thumbtacked into his mind, out.

"Hey... remember what we saw of the Twilight Realm?" He spoke, as crickets chirped.
Normally he would have liked to ask more clearly, and get to the point but just looking at Midna... talking to her now, was enough.

"Yeah," Midna nodded, sounding warmer to be off the subject of deceased parents. "Do- you- Well, do you know if there's any other of the Twilight? Is there more? B-beyond that?" He asked, for some reason nervous to know the truth.

There was a moment of silence, as Midna stared ahead, cardinal eyes unintelligible of what the princess was feeling. Princess? Queen! Goddesses, he sounded like stupid!

That was another question to ask. But, maybe for another day, not today.

Midna finally answered after a loud silence. "I suppose so," she merely shrugged. Link stared downward after his desperate question was answered. For some reason... That answer gave him the chills. Why? He was unsure. Maybe it was the unknown. But all he knew was that- He wanted to see the rest of it one day.

All of the dark nook and crannies, all the secrets hiding in the corners of her world. 

He opened his mouth to ask another question, then shut it, deciding against it. Or should he- "So, Link." 

Oh, she beat him to it.

Wait, this was a question about his past? Shoot. That's a bit... terrifying.

But, okay.

"What of your parents?" "Midna, you know this one already." He sighed. " I know, but it's only fair, you're intensely quizzing me about dead relatives."

Link blushed, looking downwards. "Sorry." 

Midna shrugged. "Hey, we need to know about each other's dead loved ones, right?" She jokingly said, smiling weakly a bit. Link tried to also force a weak smile, but he found Midna was being too harsh with herself. He wasn't sure how to feel about HIS dead loved ones, because well... he doesn't remember them. But, he knew she missed and loved nearly her mother and father dearly.

He couldn't imagine the pain of losing Rusl or Uli... He didn't want too. 

"I don't remember. Them. I'm sure they were fine, and in a way I miss them... but how do I miss someone I've never known?That's why we have to fix this," Link said, as Midna picked as fronds of grass. "Or something could happen to us, everybody."

Desperate to say something else, knowing the topic was a downer , she spoke. "So, Link, about the, uh... Master Sword," Goddesses, she never stuttered!

"Oh, well, the night before, or the night OF- I guess... I missed it, the feeling of it in my hand you know? And... I basically knew I was going to go find you, so I grabbed it back. I ran through the forest because I needed it."

Midna nodded, feeling pleasant listening to him. But she had a question... "Wait, so the Gods didn't stop you?" she asked curious. Link shrugged. He wasn't sure why either. Maybe it was the Gods on his side. "I honestly, don't really know. It came out like it did last time. Nothing to stop me."

"Mmm..." Midna nodded. 

Link's eye twitched involuntarily. Not just this conversations weight was heavy on his mind... but something else. He couldn't help remembering how about a year ago that he had LOATHED this creature, wanting her to stop tugging on his ears, teasing and tormenting him, and now... Now... what was this that he was feeling?

Midna shivered. A simple boy she had once despised and only used made her feel- well, THIS WAY. She was never so useless, so sick. So... desperate? No! No way!  She, Midna, was not desperate! Well... at least she shouldn't be. Once into her teen years, she moved away from people, was more distant and to herself, thus how she became who she was now, as a young adult. And some dumb, BOY- (she felt bad suddenly for calling him dumb. Why? She could say it all day before!) couldn't take away who she was!

Or... or maybe he was just breaking her walls down.

She recognized this feeling from around, well... the Gerudo Desert. Although she knew it might've started before that... But now she was mad! Mad that'd she'd fallen into whatever this was (she knew what it was) and mad at Link that he had to gall to pull her in, ever so deep.

Midna was a sarcastic proud princess. Link was a shy, silly former farm boy. Yet somehow they clicked.

Midna couldn't keep pretending to herself anymore. She was remarkably, acutely, and vehemently... attracted to Link. Though Midna perhaps only imagined it, it felt as though this topic was the world hanging over their heads, dangling only by a tearing thread, soon to crush them both.    

Suddenly, the twilit tried to pull away from one terrifying topic, making a mistake in the process. "Either way, Link... they would have been so proud of you," Midna said, quite out of character.

"..."

Crap, had she gone too far?

"Thank you," Link said, and there were real warmth and appreciation in his voice. "Nice night, tonight," Link said, figuring it was now his turn to break the ice. She loved-

No. Just no. She was never supposed to care about him this much. Restoring back to her angry and cruel roots, she regarded that, she was only supposed to use him to save her people, nothing more, certainly nothing less. There are better people out there, people who are worth her goddamn time.

But... he's worth it... Isn't he? A voice said, deep in her heart, in her mind. Is that right? Is this even possible?

Could... could he feel the same way? Her voice somehow cracked in her thoughts.

Most likely not.

And so, she found herself angry at herself for even pondering that, and when she figured she highly doubted he did, for he had Ilia, and Zelda to pick from- humans!-

she was left in a rather foul mood. "Well, I'm gonna sleep now," Midna said, knowing it was unfair to Link, her chest aching, and she turned away on her side.

After a few minutes, a rather disappointed, sad and confused Link did the same. 

"Nice night... tonight?" He awkwardly repeated, suddenly not at all wanting to go to sleep. Midna cleared her throat. "Mmh, mmh, lovely. Wonderful." She sighed, Link thought she sounded almost sad. "May I get some rest now?" she asked, and she sounded maybe- like she was trying to be kind.

The thought of Link not suffering through these strange feelings also disturbed her. Midna distasted this feeling of uncertainty every time she so much as thought about him. And too often did she find herself thinking of him. She suddenly realized she had been finding the weirdest reasons to lay a hand upon him, or talk to him, or look at him.

It was- APPALLING. Therefore, she wanted to return to the way it was before these disgusting emotions came in- be cruel to Link. She outwardly cringed and winced thinking of it. The sweet part of her wondered- how? But the angry and hurt part said, go for it.

That's when Midna realized where they were now.

Fighting the Gods because they wanted to always be together.

Ugh.

She looked out at the wilderness and sighed.

Willow trees hang near the edge and drape over the water across them. The image reminds them of Hena's Fishing Hole. Trees once pink with blossoms were now orangey, but wildflowers still poked themselves all around them, and Link noticed the amount of grass lessened around the pond.

Yet, despite the beauty, Link shifted around. It was quiet, only chirps came from the trees, the sky, the grass. A hawk flew by, and Link's heart jumped as he wondered if it was the one from Ordona, watching over them, for even from it being far, he saw similarities. Lighting struck somewhere far, hinting a storm, everyone had been waiting silently for.

Suddenly, Midna felt something words spill out of her mouth if she wanted them too or not, and honestly... she didn't mind it too much. She let it. It was honesty.

"The Twilight Realm doesn't have rain like this," Link heard, although it sounded more like a thought him than anything. Midna flipped around, a sudden lighting strike sparkling in her eyes. 

He turned over also, heart pumping in a strange excitement. Why was he so excited? His hat lay on his stomach, and his shield and sword sheath was close by. 

Link cocked his head curiously. "That's the last thing I expected to hear from you," he said after a moment of considering. He shifted onto his stomach this time, getting comfortable, excited for just a late-night conversation with his best friend- not that he'd ever say that out loud, probably. He used his hands to prop his head up, staring at Midna, who was looking away. Not exactly a way, but just- off.

"I'd have thought you kinda- I don't know-...you know, HATED it."

Midna's face was thoughtful, but she did not look at him. Truly thinking about this. At first, Link had expected some sort of snappy remark, but she seemed to be... truly thinking about this.

There was a long-drawn-out silence, and Link stared at her pondering, noticing her exaggerated little faces. He always noticed them, but right now... he was really admiring cute things like that. Cute? Yes... cute. Beautiful, in fact.

"I-I don't hate it..." was her weak response.

Link kept staring at her, now confused. He brushed a lock of his hair back, frustrated at its tickling his nose. He longed to put his hat back on to keep back the mess but it felt nice to be off. The smell of lavender- somewhat smoky- passed by him, and he relished in it.

"Why?" It didn't make sense why she didn't hate the dawn, the sun, the gray clouds. Was it just memories of Zant being the usurper?

Midna's eyes widened. Oops. In some sort of defense mechanism, she turned into an imp, and ripped her helmet off, tossing it at Link. He barely dodged it.

"Doesn't matter. I... like it here. Maybe you think it's dumb."

"Oh no, not even a little. And- maybe I'm being a good influence on you. Wanna be a creature of light?" He joked sarcastically, grinning at her.

"You're a crappy influence, Link."

The stars shined and twinkled, as they giggled. "My father- he- my father always promised, maybe one day, to take me to Hyrule," Midna admitted. "He always hoped the twilight and light would one day mend."

Link looked to her, sapphire eyes shining with curiosity. "And you?"

"I don't know."

Why was she telling him this? She had never opened up like this- only in small sudden, loud spurts when it made sense. Did... this moment hold any meaning to her?

But Midna felt herself grow... confused, hurt, sad, once again. Midna was silent now, staring at the stars as she wished... she wished she'd never met him. Because... she was falling in love.

And so was he.

The sun was rising.


© 2020 Vertigo Cat1111


Author's Note

Vertigo Cat1111
All rights belong to Nintendo! Uh oh... Link and Midna are falling in LOOOOVE! Please review and tell me if you enjoyed it!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

27 Views
Added on September 26, 2020
Last Updated on September 26, 2020
Tags: Link. Midna. Zelda. Twilight Pri

Legend Of Twilight: Everlasting Dawn


Author

Vertigo Cat1111
Vertigo Cat1111

About
🐱💙My biggest writing inspirations are Lorde, Gabbie Hanna, and Phoebe Bridgers. If you like any of them feel free to talk to me about it! Never be afraid to go on tangents to talk abou.. more..

Writing