Chapter 27: What Cost?

Chapter 27: What Cost?

A Chapter by Vertigo Cat1111
"

Link and Midna are able to mingle with the Resistance and even rest a bit. But the time will come soon, to once again hit the road.

"
Link stepped outside after a good night's rest in the hotel, feeling satisfied. Looking at everyone talking, he felt and sensed a weird air of frustration.
"Yes, but everyone can step aside, be healers. I can fight. They'll be fine," Rusl was speaking.
"But we don't want anyone there hurt or worse. You know that, and I know you don't want that either Rusl," Renado said calmly.
"The Gorons will already be an absolute huge help. Think about it. We don-" "No, no, YOU think about it. We're going up against GODS, Renado. I'm not trying to be rude in any way, but... sometimes you have to think a little bigger, and be a bit selfish about it."
Renado nodded but didn't respond. Link's ears perked when he heard the door behind him creak. Turning his head, he smiled widely. Midna, his now spouse was stepping out, running a hand through her orange, shining locks. She stared up at her hair for a moment, then her eyes directed to Link, and stared for half a moment. 
Then she smiled gently and Link's heart buzzed, his stomach deciding to do backflips all on its own.
Then a growling noise caught their attention from each other. Link and Midna looked ahead, dragging their eyes away, and they saw Telma standing up, clenching her fists.
She was scowling and looked ready to slap someone. Link found her piercing brown eyes to be on Rusl, and he was suddenly worried for his father-like figure.
"Uh, Telma," he muttered, reaching his hand out. 
"You know, it's people like you who are gonna mess this whole thing up! Be kind to the shaman! He is-!"
"Woah, it's alright Telma, calm down," Renado tried to assure her. "Yeah, Telma, it's alright," Link spoke up, walking towards the fiery woman. Midna followed suit.
Everyone turned and looked at the two, and a weird feeling passed through the air. Why were they staring? Had he- or Midna- done something wrong?
Shuffling uncomfortably, he stepped ahead once again, trying to ignore it.
"Guys, the last thing we need right now is fighting," Link frowned under their stares.
Ashei scoffed, folding her arms and whipping her head away.
Midna glared at her, as Link continued trying to make the peace. "What's even going on?"
Rusl and Telma hung their head shamefully, and Renado began to speak, but Telma looked back up, frustration glinting in her eyes. 
"Rusl wants to bring more people into this war. I think all The Gorons will be a fine amount," she muttered, folding her arms. Link looked at her for several more seconds and could tell she was lying to herself.
Telma wasn't one to say stuff like that. Normally she'd be more than willing to gather more people- it was just the person she was. But Link knew why she was disagreeing with her inner self, and what she REALLY thought. Because Renado had said so, and Link had always seen Telma's desperate affection for the shaman.
Link felt bad, as he was unsure whether or not Renado returned these feelings, but he wished Telma wouldn't follow blindly alongside him. Even though he was a wise man, you couldn't always be right.
"Telma..." Link began looking down at her. "Just because Renado said what he thinks... doesn't mean you have to think the same thing," he whispered lowly, so only he and she could hear it. She looked up at him, flinching. He smiled gently at her. "Maybe you should start playing hard to get," he said mischievously.
Telma continued staring at him, seeming nervous for a few seconds, then smirked widely. She then whipped her head back to the group and said, "I think Rusl's right. This is a WAR. We need much more than just a group of Gorons," she nodded, and Link got back the Telma vibe now. "They're so strong, you know that," she looked to everyone, "but- you all know we need more. Whoever's ready."
Zelda nodded. "Yes, I agree." Renado shuffled uncomfortably. Shad spoke up now. "Well, what about-" he began, then started writing something down. "Let's see," he muttered under his breath. After a moments pause, he looked back up at Link.
"Whom else could we bring along with us? Anyone, you'd know that possibly be willing?"
He began to travel through his mind, but for some reason, it was coming up point-blank. A sudden chilly wind passed through them, and he winced in the cold. 
He needed a starting point, a vague beginning of where to look.
The wind suddenly told him.
"Yetis!" He almost shouted. Midna smiled and nodded at him. "Yeah, and- Harold! And the Zorons!" Midna said, getting excited. The majority of the group said- "Huh?"
But Zelda, Ashei, and Auru turned and stared, intrigued it seemed.
"Zor-Zorons... are still around?" "We could see the Yetis?" Ashei asked excitedly. Zelda squinted. "I knew they were still around." 
"Zorons?" Shad gasped. "Ooh! I've heard of them, I thought- thought they were a mere myth!" He gasped.
Link shook their head. "Uh, yeah," he chuckled, forgetting they're meeting. "We met them. They know about what's happening and said if we need it, to invite them. Because they have their own problems against the Gods."
Zelda nodded, and Shad stretched up excitedly. "Because of- well," he began turning to the others, "a Goron and Zora fell in love, but the Gods thought it was wrong."
"And that it would spread evil, so they took each other out of Hyrule, Stormsky, where they began a family, and now a kingdom," Midna explained, getting a bit excited, but she realized she was visibly burning up now, and the others stared a bit confused, it seemed.
She shrugged nervously, and Link cut the awkwardness off. "So, who do we go to get next?" he asked, the excitement of adventure pounding in his heart.
"Well, some of us here can probably just go to the Gorons... But I doubt we all wanna split up so much."
Link nodded in quiet agreement, then an idea flashed in his mind. "Oh, Midna!" He turned to her. "What if you and I go to the Yetis- Yeto and Yeta and then that'll be a shortcut, to Stormsky, and we can get everyone then?"
Midna nodded. "That's perfect! We-" she began to stutter looking around seemingly for something. "We gotta get going, basically, now," she stumbled.
"Wait- okay... But you gotta make sure you're ready," Auru said. Barnes nodded. "Yeah. Take some bombs for free! Their snow-proof!" He grinned, gesturing exaggeratedly to his shop. "I-" Link bumbled, raising one thick eyebrow, wondering what the point of it was. "Shouldn't water-bombs be the same thing?"
Barnes shook his head frenziedly. "Oh no! See, all my old bombs were much too sluggish to move through the snow. You know, it's thick and can even be slushy," he explained. "These ones are like a mixture off the best of the best!
It stomps through that dumb, annoying snow, and is water-proof through all the slushy disgustingness!" He grinned. "And the explosion is now 3+ times bigger!" The older man explained proudly, smiling with his teeth as wide as possible.
"Uh, okay... great," Link smiled back at him, then side-eyed Midna, who was trying not to laugh at the man who was trying much too hard to be basically a commercial.
"Yeah, we'll take some... soon," he assured the man.
"Are you gonna get going, like, now?" Colin asked. Link suddenly remembered something. "Wait, did anyone send a letter to Ordon and tell them we have the kids?" he asked panicking at the thought of a once again heartbroken village.
Rusl nodded, and as he did, his helmet fell over his face. he pushed it back up. "I sure did, and they're fine. they were just scared."
Rusl examined Link's thoroughly relieved yet guilty face and smiled gently at him. "It's okay Link. We've all been able to tell somethings been going on recently. We'll fight for Midna's peace, and the others. She has rights just as we all do."
Link nodded in complete agreement, suddenly feeling a burst of inspiration and warmth. This Resistance was his family. And they'd be here for him, even if he blamed himself for this adventurous mess. Smiling, Telma walked to him. "If you two are going, it'd be best if you got some sort of winter coats, right?"
Link nodded once again, almost shuddering at the thought of all the cold before. Link was never a cold person, but Midna smiled because she loved the cold.
Malo was also joining in, with a rather rare smile. "I've been stocking my store with all sorts of winter things," he said quietly. Link and Telma turned to him. "Oh, well, bring 'em out!" she said excitedly. 
Malo froze, then glared at the woman, scowling. Telma laughed out loud, bellowing. "Why-why's he doing that?" she wheezed through her laughs. "It's so- cute..."
Link chuckled awkwardly. "I think he expects us to pay," Link said, shuffling his boots on the dirt ground, unsure if he should be scared or not at Malo's pout.
"What?" Telma asked, eyes wide. She then looked down at the little boy. "You want your friends to live, right?" she asked, bending down, hands on her hips.
Malo nodded, still pouting. "Well then, give them the things! Who knows if they even have the money, young man," she frowned at him, squinting. He kept glaring at her, and it was becoming immensely intense, and Link was wondering who'd win. He got his answer when Malo threw his hands up then down, then stomped away to Malo Mart.
Telma smiled and stood back up. "That's a good boy, son," she said. A few moments later, the child walked out, holding some boots and two coats, quite a lot for him to be carrying, but he succeeded. 
"There we go," Auru said smiling. Malo continued frowning then chucked the clothes in Link's hands. "Yeah, it might be best if you wear boots, Midna," he smiled softly at her. She snickered and rolled her eyes. "I like the cold."
"But it's much better than frostbite, I think," he said handing her the coat. "I don't need to put this on 'till we get there," Midna said, stuffing it in a bag. "It's hot here. Too hot. Blech," she shook her head.
Link smirked, and then turned to the others, their little exchange warming him, and his heart especially. "So, you're going to get the Gorons?" He asked.
Zelda nodded. "Yes. Me, Renado and Telma, I believe."
"I wanna go!" Barnes said. Shad looked at them. "Well, me too. It'll be great knowledge to put in my books."
Zelda frowned. "We probably need at least three people down here. Ashei, Shad, Barnes, and Auru." she said. "It might be even better if there are four people here... You know, to watch the children."
Shad sighed, but just opened his book and continued to read. "Alright, fine."
Barnes was significantly more cheerful about it. "Okay, but can you bring me some supplies?" he asked looking to Renado. "I have a lot more ideas to be executed."
Renado nodded but seemed distracted. He looked at Link and Midna. "Do you need a carriage?" he asked. 
Link shook his head, and Midna said, "Oh no. Keep those if you need it. It's only the two of us, and we've done this countless times, y'know," the Twilight Princess explained.
"Okay, but, please be careful," Telma asked them hopefully, wishes and fear all in her eyes. "Don't worry," Link promised, "we'll be careful. But, please be careful too," he said as they began to make their way to the exit. 
"Are you sure you're not both too tired to go?" Zelda asked, and Link thought he saw a glint of anxiety and foreboding in her eyes. Link smiled at her. "We'll be perfectly fine, I promise," he said, bright blue eyes, meeting bright blue eyes.
They went ahead and started their next journey.
-
Walking out, Midna and Link were laughing joyously. Neither of them was quite sure why, as they were quite in a life or death situation, but the air swarming around them was exciting, dangerous. Link turned to her, grinning and listened to her pleased laugh.
"I guess maybe we can do this after all!" she congratulated. This remark made more warmth burst in Link's heart. "Listen," she began in a calmer voice, "I like this all, so  maybe I'll spit on you if the Gods set you on fire."
Link smiled at her jokes. "So in exchange for your help, I'll be sure to make sure you don't starve to death out here," he added playfully
"Great! Then let's get moving!"
----
Zelda shifted, watching them leave, chest aching. Her breathing was slightly unsteady. Anything she had to say trailed off in a choking gasp. Whenever Link was around it felt every horrible, terrible thing would disappear. Then when he leaves with Midna, it reminds her why they're even in this situation. Because he loves her. And everyone sees it. The warmth Link gave to her was emanating and fading from her hands, her heart. 
But she did understand what it was that she could not say. Her heart had changed since the restoration and return of Midna if it already hadn't changed by then. "Are you ready, Princess Zelda? We wouldn't wish for our time to grow shorter," Telma said to Zelda.
The Princess nodded but her back remained turned, and she stared blankly into the great beyond, and the bobbing figures disappear.
There was no sign of love for her, from Link. There never would be. She needed to stop pretending he looked at her the same way he stared at Midna.
The Princess of Hyrule could never compare to The Twilight Princess.
"I pray you don't die," was all Zelda whispered, so quietly only she and maybe the Gods could hear. The sparkles in her eyes dimmed, and she whipped around with her cloak wooshing in the air.
Now Link and Midna could be with one another as they wished, but... at what cost?


© 2020 Vertigo Cat1111


Author's Note

Vertigo Cat1111
I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! And Link and Midna are hitting the road again! All rights belong to Nintendo besides my own stuff!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

24 Views
Added on October 15, 2020
Last Updated on October 15, 2020
Tags: Link. Midna. Zelda. Twilight Pri

Legend Of Twilight: Everlasting Dawn


Author

Vertigo Cat1111
Vertigo Cat1111

About
🐱💙My biggest writing inspirations are Lorde, Gabbie Hanna, and Phoebe Bridgers. If you like any of them feel free to talk to me about it! Never be afraid to go on tangents to talk abou.. more..

Writing