Chapter 26: On The Road

Chapter 26: On The Road

A Chapter by Vertigo Cat1111
"

Link and Midna are leaving once again. But with more of a story behind them.

"
Link awoke from a deep sleep, and the sun was barely edging to the beginning of his earth, the rays shining through his window. And yet, there was a bustle of commotion downstairs. 

He sat up in his bed and looked out the clear window. The rain had stopped, and the clouds were gone. But on the very, very tip of the horizon- he had to strain his eyes to see it- he thought he saw a millimeter of gray fluffy clouds coming into view of the people who didn't try and look. Link ignored the threatening feeling of it, and found it rather peaceful, maybe.

He rubbed a hand against his face, ridding of sand that was in his eyes. An air of excitement extruding from downstair bounced around the air, into his heart. At that feeling, he stood up and found his garbs he'd lazily dropped on the floor the night before. He could not postpone his thoughts anymore. A war was coming. And they needed help. 

But would the Resistance be willing to join? Or had they already checked in, and it would be dumb to ask? Maybe all he'd have to bare though was another little Ashei fit.

He dressed, then picked up his equipment and weapons attached them to wherever they go. Strapping the Master Sword around his waist, he realized how lucky he was to have it. But if the Gods wished it, could it disappear at their wish? No... it was a weapon from the Goddesses... They couldn't. They may be strong, but they were below the Goddesses.

Suddenly, the sound of Telmas chortling mixed with Midna's mischievous giggle caught his ears attention- and heart.

The woman he loved was downstairs... waiting for him? Sighing he merely wondered one simple question. Did she love him too? He tried shaking the inevitable off, and somewhere in his mind, he knew it was too late to step back from this even if he tried, even if he ran.

Trying to shrug it off, but a wave of fear came over him. What troubles would besiege them soon? Would they go through their own personal losses? Would he have hundreds of doubts? How many loved, dear friends would be lost in this war. How long would they travel this dangerous road till somehow, someway, they met peace?

But he had to shake off any doubts. The last hero had succeeded, and though Link's mission was different, he was certain at that moment, he would win this, with Midna at his side. 

They would reign in a new, powerful, storming dawn. It would bring the death of these angry Gods. But what if that also brought chaos? But- if it did, the Goddesse's would stop them. They may be free beings, but they could be stopped from ending the world if this is what the situation was coming to.

He felt a shiver of excitement and nerves shoot through him, as he headed to the door, hand on the doorknob. He knew he craved her love back at him. Maybe even their power just combined could help them defeat these wretched Gods. 

But he could not dismiss the feeling he mostly wanted her because he loved her. This scary feeling he locked away, now seemed to be easily bouncing around his heart. He opened the door with that notion. He had loved Midna for a very long time, and no matter what happened, he would always remember that. 

He could never- and certainly not now- dismiss how he felt just thinking of her. He had always known she was a truly good being, even if she, herself, did not believe it. She was a wise and kind being.

He would always be by her side, no matter what happens next.

---

Link stepped down the stairs nervously, and spotted Telma, and looked around for Midna, but he couldn't find her. The room was empty besides herself, and it was quiet now.
"Morning, Telma," he spoke unnerved Midna would appear any moment. His sapphire eyes darted around. She was already looking up at him. Smiling cheerfully, she said.

"Good morning, Link!" she waddled over to hug him, grinning.

Pulling away from the hug, the woman said, "Nice to see another adventure starting here. And it's nice that all of this is finally for you when it was always for others," she said kindly, and Link blushed. Was he being selfish?

"You're not being selfish, Link," she said suddenly as if reading his mind. She casually leaned up against her own bar. "Don't you dare even think that." 
It warmed him when she said that. 

"This crazy story of yours..." she began again, turning to Link. "You think you'll ever tell it?"

"Tell it?" Link almost stuttered. Telma nodded. "There's not many good stories anymore. You know," she said, "you hear them all. The generic princess is stolen, hurt... the hero saves her, they're in love. Yadda, yadda. They get married. It's all rather boring now, you know?" she said, looking at him.

Link shyly nodded and wondered what she was insinuating if she was insinuating anything at all. It brought his mind back to the thought that never left.

"How's Midna?" he asked, nervously. What conversation was he bringing himself into? It always felt as if Telma knew everything.

She smiled silently for several seconds. "She's doing great, actually, Link," she responded, but for some reason, the way she said it, made him suddenly clammy in nervousness. "I'm really glad Zelda could heal her," she said, smiling a bit differently now.

Again, he nodded and stared off now. Hopefully, this was the end of talking about his companion to her because he regretted asking her now. There were a few moments of silence, as Telma handed him a plate with two eggs and a biscuit, along with some water. Realizing his hunger, his stomach growled, and he dug in.
He enjoyed his meal in silence, recouping. 

When he finished his food, he took a big sip of his cup of water, and Telma's smile never left her face when she said- "so... she'd important to you huh? Midna?"

Link nearly had to spit out his food, and also almost choked. "I-I'm sorry, what?" he gasped, as she made no apology that she made him lose his breath. She turned to him now. "Oh come on, Link. Don't 'I'm sorry, what,' me..." she smiled.

"Everyone could see it. Even Midna can too. Because she ever obviously feels the same way."

Link shook his head. "No, she doesn't!" he shouted louder then he meant to. Telma stretched taller, seeming to enjoy herself. "Yes she does!" she exclaimed. "I can tell! We talked about you, and she couldn't stop smiling, in the same way, one that's in love would!" she said, and Link stared in shock, sapphire eyes huge.
"Where is she, even?" he asked.

"Restroom," she smirked, leaning back on her bar.

Silence cupped them again, and Link fiddled with his too-big cup of water. Until he said- "Did she... er... confirm anything?" he asked. Telma's smile grew a bit, and she shook her head after several long moments. "She neither confirmed nor denied anything."

Link sighed but he didn't know if it was in relief or not. She looked at him, with her classic kindly look on her face. "I'm glad to see you again, Link."

Link grinned. "I told you, whenever I was near, I'd drop in," he smiled at her.

She nodded at him. "I'm glad you remembered, honey."
"This bar, you know, is like a safe zone... But if the Gods are attacking, sometimes you have to go somewhere unexpected."

"Kakariko? That's- won't they find us there?"
Telma shrugged. "That's what Zelda told me."

Link nodded, then Shad burst in the door. "We're ready!"

Link rushed ahead, leaving the uncomfortable situation with Telma behind. Heading out the door, where the dark gray clouds seemed to draw barely, yet ever closer.
He glanced at them, and then the road. Two carriages. He climbed the stairs, and suddenly hoped that no one would guess it was for Zelda.

That's when she arrived beside him, hair swinging in the wind. "Are you sure you wanna leave them all behind?" Link asked, his gaze turned to her.

She paused for a moment, and Link was suddenly nervous the wise princess was unsure she was doing the right thing. But slowly, she nodded. "This is the best way to assure you all safety. I-" 

"But what about you?" He asked concerned. "You're our princess. Our leader... without you-"

She cut him off this time, shaking her head. "You and Midna, Link... are a team I've never ever seen before. You have the power to rid of anything that stands in your way," she said, but Link didn't speak yet, getting the feeling the princess wasn't done yet. Her blue orbs stared off, and Link watched.

"Whatever may happen to the kingdom, we have to fight against the Gods," she confirmed.

Link's heart dropped. He wanted Zelda to be safe and come with them, but what of the kingdom? What if it was overrun by traitors? By the God's people?
"Well, do you even have anyone to watch over it?" He asked. The Hylian didn't mean to be rude, but this could truly make everything worse.

"Yes, I do," she responded. "Whom, may I ask?" 

"You've met him," Zelda said. "Ravana. If I'm correct he escorted you to me." Link shifted uncomfortably. As long as someone was watching over, great, but what of any others? Not meaning to be a bother, he opened his mouth to ask another question, when a presence beside him, froze him in his tracks.

Midna stood about two feet from him and stared at the carriages. "Ready, princesses?" Shad exclaimed excitedly and loudly. 
Zelda pressed a single finger to her lips. "Shhhh..." she hushed. "...We don't want anyone knowing." 

Shad nervously and embarrassingly shook his head in agreement, and ducked back into the carriage, seeming to rearrange things.

Link was nervous and utterly frightened to face Midna, so he turned to no one, but simply opened his mouth once again.

"I'm gonna ride up front," he said, heading to the horses. "With Shad."
He could almost see Midna nod, as he hopped up on his own horse, Epona.

"Thanks for helping up here Link," Shad said, and he wondered if it was his mind imagining his frigid coldness. The sound of Telma humming made him feel a bit better. She wouldn't let Shad or Ashei snap at him. "Shad, I think it's best to save your thanks till you actually take that sourness out of your mouth. It's best if you get in on the other carriage. I'll sit with Link," she smiled at Shad, then to Link.

Link smiled at her, warmth in his heart. He really did have true friends. Telma, Rusl... Midna. Midna... he'd figure that out on the way there. It was nice to learn and be sure that some people still accepted him, beast or not.

It reminded him of something she had once said, while also on a carriage. 

'We need a beast right now, to keep the true ones at bay.'

Yes, he'd protect all of his friends, if it meant giving his own life. He'd promised this forever ago and would promise it forevermore. "When we get to Kakariko, maybe then you'll be a bit kinder to your hero," Telma smiled, and Link could feel Ashei and Shad's uncomfortableness.

"Are you ready?" Zelda asked from the carriage. No one had come out of there houses and homes yet, but Zelda seemed eager to get going.

Zelda and Midna had been willing to ride a carriage themselves but was reminded it was best they weren't seen. So Link settled in.


And also settled in for some heavy, heavy thoughts.

-----

The carriages were pulling into Kakariko, as thunder crashed from far off somewhere. His stomach growled, though the trip had been quick, his breakfast had been small. 

He turned the twist into the actual village and a breath of nostalgia crashed over him. He was back here, back in another home. He looked, to see if Renado was there, waiting for them, as Zelda had sent a letter to him, informing him, his daughter and Uli.

Link's eyes landed upon Colin, Talo, Malo, and Beth. For a moment he was transported back in time and he was still attempting to get the Fused Shadows. He stopped dead and caught Colin's eye. 

The young boy had been smiling but had then caught Link's eye. Colin only stared as if just as shocked to see his friend.
Soon after the rest of the children looked up and met Link's confused and shocked gaze.

Talo ran towards Link, cheering happily. Soon, the rest of the kids' young minds caught on and they ran towards Link also, happily calling their friends name.

Link hopped off Epona, and the children rejoiced around him, yelling excitedly. Link smiled at them, and waved, greeting them as they jumped and bounced around. A small smile crossed his face, and he looked up searching for the rest of Ordon.

Or at least an authority figure. Renado, Barnes, and Luda walked across the dirt path and the large group, smiling in welcome, but something in their eyes told Link there was a reason the children were here.

The children circled him like ants around food, and Link felt nervous energy buzzing off of them. Link looked to Renado, an eyebrow raised.

"Hello, Link and friends. Welcome." He spoke, smile warm and kind. Link had truly forgotten how much he'd miss this man and his kindness. Even Barnes and his way over the top reactions to pretty much everything.

"Hello, Renado. I'm so glad to see you again." His eyes looked around. "But... er... uh," he babbled.

"Renado... am I missing something?" he asked glancing down at the children where Talo smiled nervously and widely at him. 
"Oh..." Renado said, seeming to remember why exactly the children were there. "Yes, they traveled here."
"WHAT!?" Link yelled confused. "Alone?" 

Renado nodded, and Link was utterly baffled. Alone? Why? Who said that was- okay? "They snuck out," Renado continued. "I have already written and sent letters to the people of Ordon."

"How long have they been here?" Link drawled, reaching for more information. "Nearly a week, I'd suppose."
Link paused, staring at Renado, then turning his attention to the children. "Uh- why'd you guys come here?"

Colin now smiled nervously with the others, but Talo's fake smile dropped. "Do you guys seriously think we're that stupid that we can't tell something is wrong again?" he shouted angrily. Link fidgeted, guilt passing through him for a second. "Talo- guys, everything's fine," he tried to reassure, but by the expression of Talo, it wasn't working.

"Then why'd you leave?" Talo growled. "Why'd you leave us behind?" 
Colin spoke now. "Talo, you know-" he stuck up for Link, but Talo shouted over his meek voice. "We wanna help too! We're not just kids!"

"No offense Talo, but we kinda are," said Beth who was nearly the ripe age of 13. "Well, whatever! That doesn't mean we're not useful!" He pouted.

"L-listen Talo, it's n-not-" Link stuttered, reaching to pet his brown hair.

"It's not at all because we think you're weak, son," Renado continued for the blubbering Link, walking over. "We just don't want you hurt. That's the last thing we want," he said, placing his hand gently upon the boys head. 

"The enemies out there are foul... And-" he paused for a moment. "What are we up to now, Link?"
He asked, and Link saw a glint of nervousness and anxiety in his brown eyes. 

Link shamefully looked down. "I- I can't say just right now... right here," he winced. Renado nodded and continued to speak before Talo could begin to shout again.

"It's dangerous, and we scary. And you were very brave and strong to come here, all of you," he said, gaze sweeping over them all. "But, we want you to be safe because if we all get hurt, you're our next defense."

"Huh?" The children all cried with different emotions and tones of voice. Renado smiled gently at them. "Yes. You see, you're our last line of defense, and thus, one of our most important lines of defense."
"We are?" Colin and Talo exclaimed loudly, but their emotions were very different, and expressions. "Mmhm," the man confirmed. "And so if we ever are defeated, you fight-"

"But Renado-" Link began, but Renado turned to him and winked, and Link shrugged it off. He was confused and knew Renado was a smart man. He knew what he was doing, especially since Link, himself didn't exactly know right now.

"I'm sorry we have to go through this again," Renado said. "You've seen your fair share of hardships recently, huh?" he asked. Link nodded smiling.
Midna stepped out of the carriage, and suddenly everyone's attention was on her.

"Who's the blue lady?!" Beth nearly screeched, pointing.

Midna turned her head to the girl, eyes wide. It must be absolutely strange to suddenly be visible to someone you'd been completely invisible to before, the whole time you knew of them.

Midna shakily waved, and Link suddenly remembered he'd have to explain everything once again. His shoulders slumped. He opened his mouth to speak, when Malo said, "Is that the Midna girl?" he asked.
Link's ears perked. Huh? Confusion swarmed him, and he looked to the kids then Renado. He smiled gently at Link. "Telma sent a letter. You know, she always keeps me updated, but I have to say that was a very long letter," he chuckled.

Link stared at him, then wheezed in a laugh on edge.
Renado then sighed, seemingly frustrated. "I knew when the children came, then the letter this morning, more was coming." Staring off, Link listened. "It strains my mind that the Gods would do this. 

"This change... it has to happen. We all need change," he spoke, looking up to the peak of the mountain.
Link felt relieved Renado was fine with it. And willing to be on his side.

The shaman pulled away from his thoughts, snapping free. Looking to Link he continued. "In the case that anything happens here, perhaps we should go up north to the Zoras. There is no telling what may happen now- but... everything feels like it'll be okay. It may be hard for them, but we will also gather the Gorons."

Link nodded silently but what Renado said made something in his heart explode.

Ideas began swirling in his mind and he stared off, as the carriages and horses were settled, but his mind and heart were far from settling themselves.

----

Link watched the children run around screaming, as Colin tried to show them a large beetle he found. "SET IT DOWN BEFORE I HIT YOU!" Beth wailed.
"But, wait, look it's so cute," Colin pouted, pounding his short legs.

He had been explaining to them when Renado said he was ready to be a healer for the war if it was a good idea to get the Gorons and Zora's to join. He had to reassure himself it was a simple idea, he wasn't yet putting the Gorons nor Zora's in danger... just yet.

"That just may be an excellent idea," Zelda said thoughtfully, a finger to his chin. Barnes frowned. "What if they exploded us?" 

Beth fell to the floor and laughed at Barnes wording error. Colin bumped into her, and slipped, nearly falling, but incidentally, a bug fell onto Beth's head. She screamed, sat back up and ran off, and Colin and the other kids chased her. "WAIT, BETH!"

Link's eyes darted to Midna, who was picking at a drumstick of meat. She was beautiful there, but he needed desperately to speak to her. But how could they sneak away? Would Midna just try and push it away? And leave it forgotten forever? Because he wouldn't allow that.

Bad ideas crossed his mind, and he looked over to Midna, who seemed to already be looking at him. "Uh-er, I and Midna need to talk about these plans in privacy real quick, so if you'll excuse us please," he spoke pushing himself up from the bonfire and looking to Midna.

Midna expression when he looked over was nothing short of pure panic. Smiling gently at her, she scowled at him, face turning purple from blushing.
But Link could not allow what had happened to disappear into awkward obscurity forever.

Link tightened a cloak over himself, even though, since they were so south, it wasn't nearly as cold as Stormsky.

He steadied his breath as everyone nodded, and he and Midna headed towards the largest section of Hyrule. He sifted through his thoughts and realized he hadn't at all planned anything. He tried to put his finger on the best course of action to follow. Yet his mind was vast. He was blindly searching.

But first things first, anyway, even if he was blank in the head.

He needed to see how his and Midna's relationship was holding up.

----

Link looked across from their grand view from the large rock at the exit of Kakariko Village. Midna's lips pursed, eyes narrowing. She had been silent, except to giggle at several of Link's jokes he'd made to break the ice. But now he needed to talk about what he came up here to talk about.
"Midna," Link's voice startled her then as he giggled, "Midna, what's with your face?" he smiled.

She turned to him scowling. "What about it?" she hissed, squinting harder.
Not sure how to respond about the little spat about her expression, so he continued to stare into the dead of the night, wondering what words would come out the next time he opened his mouth. The cold sting of the rock had warmed as they sat on it. 

Midna sat silently alongside, concentrated upon just ignoring him and not sparking up conversations it seemed. She ambled her eyes straight ahead, and Link wondered just what exactly she was thinking.

Midna looked upward she discovered the stars and the millions of shining beauties. She threw her eyes about them, but Link spoke up, destroying the silence between them... maybe forever

"Midna, we need to talk about what happened-"
"Nothing happened, Link," she said plainly as if that was the end of it. "Right, okay," Link frowned sadly. What could he say? He looked away from her, and Midna suddenly hesitated. "Wait, no, Link..." 

He turned excitedly back to her, and she whipped her head away, shy. "Midna, I-" he breathed deep. She knew what was coming so she looked past him, on the horizon, and maybe that'd stop her total embarrassment.
He scooted over to her.

She then stood up afraid. "You found me," he giggled smiling at her, looking up as he stood up, into her eyes. He drew her into a hug. "I love you, Midna,"
and he pulled her into another kiss. She did not resist; in fact, Midna was unsure she had ever known true happiness until this very moment. 

For so long neither of them ever felt like they had belonged, but here with each other, with the ones they once loathed and now loved more than anything- they had found where the belonged.

He pulled away and kept hugging her. She was more than a princess, a shadow, he knew. The way Link held her, or even just looked at her, she felt like a goddess, ready to take on anything. A queen. She had finally found the one to break down her supposedly impenetrable walls. Her breath caught in her throat as a new tear fell, and she wondered what had happened to her, that she was crying so much more often, and she used to never cry!

Maybe it was love.

Their love whispered into every corner of Hyrule that a storm was coming.


© 2020 Vertigo Cat1111


Author's Note

Vertigo Cat1111
We're getting closer to more stuff... uh oh. Keep a lookout for suspicious people... hmmm...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

19 Views
Added on October 14, 2020
Last Updated on October 14, 2020
Tags: Link. Midna. Zelda. Twilight Pri

Legend Of Twilight: Everlasting Dawn


Author

Vertigo Cat1111
Vertigo Cat1111

About
🐱💙My biggest writing inspirations are Lorde, Gabbie Hanna, and Phoebe Bridgers. If you like any of them feel free to talk to me about it! Never be afraid to go on tangents to talk abou.. more..

Writing