Chapter 24: The Twilight Sword

Chapter 24: The Twilight Sword

A Chapter by Vertigo Cat1111
"

Link and Midna are about to finally achieve what they've been looking for. But of course, it's never that easy.

"
Using her strange magic, Midna hopped and warped rocks that surrounded her, as Link slept, snoring. The fresh and chilly air excited Midna's soul. 

'C'mon, Link, wake up,' she urged inwardly.

Just as Midna started off in her mind, a grunt sounded where Link lay. She stared at him, but he merely seemed to be rolling in his sleep. Studying him, she realized the man looked utterly peaceful, and she watched the moon glow. His skin was soft but tough over what these rough journeys had put them through. It hurt her, that her skin wasn't as tough, which meant she didn't fight as much... She'd change that. And his hair was as bright as the sun, yet darkened by mother nature's choice. His clothes molded to his hidden muscular form, and she suddenly realized it was impossible she'd ever really hated him.

Feeling his aura and spirit swarm around her, and she realized, even more, he was truly a cherished friend, despite what she'd ever said. However she deceived him, or anyone else to think the opposite. The legend sleeping before her was none other than Link.

Unable to try to wake him up herself, she found herself broadly grinning. Her stomach tingled as she stared at him. He made life utterly feel exciting, and like a treat. That'd never been in her mind before. It made her realize- life was... a gift. And it was joyous. 

But even with her unheralded feeling of hidden joy and aw

e, there was still this small sense of hesitation she felt to go get the sword. What would they face next?
The cold, unforgivingness of danger, or an eccentric, laughable fun adventure? Or maybe both?

She knew they had developed a strong, unbreakable bond through the first time they met to now. In fact, it was so strong, stronger then she'd thought, it defied Gods.

And even though Midna often secretly regarded herself as hideous, Link frequently called her beautiful, and for that, she grew even more attached to him, for no one else in this world had ever helped fixed her hidden insecurities.

But now the real issue arose: did these dramatic emotions in her heart change anything? Was she supposed to bow down at his feet? Why... did she want to? Although she'd never admitted it out loud, there was something new in her heart, and it wasn't merely there dynamic changing because they'd been apart. It was just what'd always been there, the absence made it stronger.

With the fact they were nearly here, well, there were even more complications. Midna was a quiet, and yet a loud person. An ambivert if you will. But, she was feeling very shy today, and maybe it's because they were so utterly close to the sword... and what would happen next? Would this scary tension break? Would they have to- kill the Gods?

The ideas were circling around in her mind and it was enough for her to long to retreat back into her shell of shyness and coldness.

"Link?" she suddenly whispered. The sunrise was apparent and even though she wanted this to last as long as possible, she also wanted to get the sword now. It was only a day of work now.

"Link?" she squeaked after the prolonged silence. He raised his head up, and his blue eyes were immediately wide awake. "Are you okay, Midna?" he asked, and she suddenly felt the daunting task of traveling up the end of the mountain. "Are you alright?" he asked, seeming nervous. "You're... not sick are you?"

Midna smiled gently at him. Ever since he had such a horrid flu, he seemed fearful of catching another one, or even herself doing so. She understood. She placed a hand on his cheek. "No, I am not ill," she replied, removing her hand from his cheek.

His shoulders relaxed. "Oh, okay... Well, what's wrong?" he asked, and his eyes began to dart around. "I think it's time to go," she gently said. Paying close attention this his sleepy eyes, as he blinked, she felt guilty. "But, if you're tired- after all, we could-"

Link shot up. "No, no- I'm sorry," he stuttered, pausing for several seconds, as the sun glared against him. "I-I just forgot how close we are," he said seemingly in amazement and drew his head to the top of the mountain.

That's when doubt filled Midna when she looked up with him. What if this was the wrong spot?

But this feeling was too strong... It couldn't be wrong... could it? But even with all of this reassurance, Midna was still uncertain, however. With all the courage she could muster, she stared at the Mountain of Storms and took a deep breath, nearly choking. "I'm glad we're here, Midna," Link suddenly said, and Midna wondered if he shared her doubts. Staring back down at him, it struck a chord in her swollen heart. Now she was at a loss for words, and she merely turned to him. 

"I'm glad we're here, too."

----

"Shall we ride across these mountainy dunes as a wolf?" Link suggested sarcastically. Midna laughed, all her nervousness and anxiety building up in her throat. "I know you happen to be awfully tuckered out and just the thought of walking is too much for you're sore legs to bear." Link joked, and Midna fakely chuckled once again.

She followed behind and was anxious. Of what? The trillions and trillions of scenarios running around in her mind, messing with her.

This was all too scary, and Midna was on the verge of shaking and shivering. She wondered if Link noticed and that was why he was cracking so many jokes. And she did find them hilarious, but she was too scared to laugh truely. But she hoped Link didn't notice! She didn't want to see how much of a coward she was being.
Stepping over the pebbles, Midna realized maybe she should ride upon Link's back. This wasn't a good time not to have shoes, honestly.

But albeit the pain of sometimes stepping on little, sharp pebbles, she ignored it. The sooner they got up there, the better. The sun was setting now, and the entire day they'd been straight forward, only eating a quick sandwich.

Link remained silent now, as they trekked slowly, ever so slowly upwards. And the thought continued to circle in Midna's mind, never ebbing or stopping. What if this was the wrong spot? It'd be all her fault, then they'd travel all the way back to Hyrule, right back in the Gods target view. Maybe Link would just sigh disappointingly and suggest it's just best if she goes back to the Twilight Realm?

Shivering with unsureness she looked the sun she so secretly loved, and in seeking reassurance, she found the warmth of the planet. It calmed her down somehow.

But her steps were becoming strained as the climbed the mountain of unbelievable size, now fighting gravity as the mountain slowly, slowly, sloped.

As these difficulties became harder and harder, Link had begged and urged Midna to retreat in his shadow as an imp, which she'd plain said no. If she was getting a weapon, it was time for her to stop hiding. Link seemed as if he was going to argue, but didn't respond to her.

Midna's physical self struggled and mentally as she treaded up the rocky mountain, now leaving footprints behind in some dirt. As the hours passed by, they passed quietly and Link was realizing how important this was.

The sun had fallen down now, and by this time, Link halted his steps, and slipped out his water pouch and gulped some down. Midna impatiently paced around as he did so. She looked down, to see where'd they climbed right as Link went to hand her the water.

'How big is this mountain?' Midna stared and the height was making her dizzy. 'It's almost nighttime, but I can't rest now.'
She could hear Link an hour from now. 'Come on. You're tired... we'll make it their tomorrow. Come eat too.'

She turned around and nearly knocked her head into a water holder. "Oh, no... I'm okay Link, thank you though," she responded. Link frowned. "Well, if we're gonna be going all night, it might be best to be hydrated," he said, sounding like a parent. She froze. Would Link be a father someday...? 
And would he...?

Never mind. She took a sip and nodded in her thanks. She smiled a bit, realizing Link was ready and willing to stay awake till they made it there... and if it wasn't there...?

Nevertheless, stopping to worry did nothing to solve the matter. Link stared at her for a few seconds, before they resumed there steps. But her mind continued to churn.

If she didn't find it, and Link suffered in this attempt to do so, she would never be able to pull that blame from herself. But as more and more steps were taken thoughts were taken to other matters. Her brains images were intermingling and hopping around with one another. And Link was in his own mind too.

Ilia... would she ever forgive him? Colin... Was he upset? Malo and Talo and Beth...! Were they happy? Were they all alright without him? And Rusl-? Would he never forgive Link now that'd he'd officially left for who knows how long? Maybe Rusl was a father figure to him, and maybe he was like son- but he never felt as if he truly belonged to someone, and recently that was something he-... he longed for. Strange as that may sound.

Midna...

His thoughts never failed to cross upon her. It was odd to remember that she was a new scary alien creature to him, once so very long ago. Her aggressive taunts, her taunting smirk, and her cold-blooded, stubborn glare. What seemed like years ago now, he'd despised those all. But now, the time had come, and time had gone. And he'd realized they most definitely were not faults.

He'd finally opened his eyes and now could see so much more, even more than when she'd left. She was a pure real being, and her reactions to such and such were normal, she was just hot-headed and defensive. She was merely more hostile and closed off to people she didn't know, and that was being a true person too. Had she changed, or had he seen the true her, he wondered? Most likely both.

She seemed so much nobler now, fighting for peace, for him, Hyrule and her own home. And even Stormsky now. Now he wouldn't be living without her by his side. She was nobler, and a true companion, ready and willing to sacrifice what she had already, and what she had yet too.

Link found a small smile spreading and growing on his face, but he shook it off, realizing he must have been lost in his own thoughts for quite some time. The moon now shone over them, high in the sky, and looking up, they must be almost there, he concluded. After these hours of relentless travel, he could distinctly see the top coming. His heart dropped. He hadn't realized it was so close, and he got an explosion of excitement and anxiety in his heart, sinking into him.

A rather steep climb came, and Midna gripped onto it first, exhausted. And though her feet were blistered and sore, she kept climbing reminding herself to get some sort of climbing boots rather soon.

Sighing, she pulled herself up from the rock, and she nearly fell backward. Link caught her. "Whoa! Midna! Are you, uh, alright?" he asked. 
"Link... It's here."

She blinked several times in shock. "Wait... what? What do you mean Midna...? It's here? We found it?" He gasped in surprise. "Your kidding?" He said disbelievingly. "I don't believe it!"

Midna pushed her way up to the top, and tripped a bit, but caught her balance, and then stared at the sword. It was here. She was right to trust her intuition.
Link climbed up from up behind her, and she felt his silent shock.

She was disbelieving, before walking towards the sword. It was all black, with glowing Twilight patterns. Link was staring as if he'd seen a real and true ghost. She could only stare, and ignore the broken stones that enclosed the weapon, making up a vague outline around it of a holder for it. She stepped towards it slowly, her long slender legs taking their time. But once she reached the pinnacle of it, she truly felt it's powerful energy. 

Link stared abruptly his eyes not on the sword but Midna and her own amazement, maybe searching for the Gods. It began to rain ever so gently, ever so slightly. Midna cautiously wrapped her hands around it and gulped nervously. "Go ahead, Midna," Link said from behind her, voicing over the rain, nearly whispering. 

Suddenly the item she had her blue fists, began to glow, a blinding light began to glint around the room then exploded. It burst outward, shimmering, and Midna had to look down and shut her eyes. Link watched shocked, as Midna was consumed by light and it shone, bursting through Stormsky. At last, in a whirl of shining pure light, and the light stopped. 

It was in Midna's hand, and Link watched her bright orange hair fall in her face, that blue pointed, soft face. It was in that moment, the bubble in Link's heart popped. He suddenly saw her true self, her real likeness, her inner soul, and everything in there and beside it. Midna stared at it, breathing in and out heavily.

Link noticed the light still danced around Midna, twirling about. She opened her eyes, hair against framed against her face, and she looked to her body and herself and found herself.

Looking around she lost her breath seeing the view. The view was nothing she'd seen before. they were ever so many miles from Hyrule, and she could see the Castle from here. Ordon. Snowpeak, Kakariko. It was beautiful, and that was when Midna realized she'd found home. With Link. She had to squint her eyes to see it all, and she almost strained her eyes, trying to see every little thing. She'd never, ever felt so high up. Rain fell down upon Link and Midna, and she tilted her head up, seeing the clouds, the storm. It made her feel dizzy, but she grinned and breathed in as deep as she could, trying to capture the moment. A smile littered Link's face after, and they both laughed.

Link quietly stepped up to her, grinning ever so gently. "Midna..." he began. "Are you okay?" 
Midna's response came slowly. She turned around to Link, taking her time. "Yeah... I think I'm okay..." She pondered, for some reason afraid to look at him. Something was bubbling to the surface, and she kept staring at what she grasped.

Link remained silent, as his feet drew him closer to the Twilight Princess. When she looked up for a second, and her eyes turned to him, stared into him, his stomach jumped. No matter what, this was his Midna. The woman he'd come to- care for so completely. So utterly entranced in her being.
"Well... The princess was right all along," Midna said, trying not to smile, "the Mirror was still around. Just broken."
"And we met again," Link grinned.

This was what brought Link the life in his eyes. He couldn't and would never bring ask more of Midna then that. And he knew she would never ask more. 

'I'll always be here,' Link had told her.

Midna had always longed to hear those words for some reason, and she didn't even know she did... Link would leap in an instant to keep every one of her his promises to her. Everything in his body pulled and tore him away from 'One day' to 'I'll follow you wherever you will go.'

Midna glanced at him, glancing the bright happiness in his eyes, and the final barrier against her deepest feelings finally began to crack, again. But this... was even different. She fought against the rush of emotion, but it caught her in its whirlwind and she almost choked on her own words. "Midna... I..." Link began.
Midna's heart leaped when he spoke. What would he... say? 

She began to shake, ever so suddenly. She was silently begging to hear it, and they both knew it, but the moment was becoming all too intense. The emotions were too much, that and she nearly began crying.
He stepped toward her, and in unison, she stepped back. 
"Link, I-" Midna stuttered, stepping back once again.

She was so scared. More than she ever thought she'd be in this moment. Link was drawing nearer to him, and she was pulling away as it always went. For her entire life, since she became an adolescent, her friends always stabbed her in the back, and so she learned to be closed off. They never ever listened to her, and only bragged about themselves, and it'd messed her up in ways she was horrified would never be fixed. And yet it felt so natural now. Yet, somehow she knew Link was different. So, so different, and she was ready to quit being surprised when she accidentally opened her heart to him, and tell him everything. A tear fell down her cheek and Link stopped.

When he saw it slide down her soft cheek, it reminded him of the Mirror. Then he understood. Understood it all.
 
They made intense eye contact and she saw fierce, burning loyalty and devotion in his usual soft, sapphire eyes. The glow of the tear eclipsed in his sharp eyes, and he reached his hand out and caught her tear before it fell. "Link..." Midna nearly choked, desperate to stop it. "We saved Hyrule. Our destinies were filled."

All he did was shook his head. In his hand, he felt the tear, and within it, all her pain, anger sadness, happiness, and love.

Her pointed chin quivered, and more tears threatened to fall, realizing he saved them from a forever goodbye. He was the most courageous heart she'd ever know to exist, and she realized it took more than courage when he kissed her gently.

She pulled back, gasping a bit. "Midna..." Link longed to scream, but his voice was strangled, worried Midna hated him. She stared at him, and Link realized not with anger, disgust or hatred. But with desperation.

And love.

Love for Link. And she was scared he mirrored these feelings, because what did that mean? And now she knew he did... But the fear meant she was also scared to lose him... forever.

But Link took another careful step forward, vibrating in fear. Blue eyes stared into red eyes for a long time until Midna spoke. "Link..." 

Link cut her off. "I promised you... A long time ago. That'd I'd follow you anywhere. You know that." 
"We can't-" Midna wavered, her walls shattered, supposedly impenetrable bricks scattered all around her, and she was defenseless. "Your place is to protect this world- and I cannot ever forget mine."

He stared bravely at her. "I don't belong anywhere. Besides with you. And if that means going back with you then fine- But-" he said. "I've had months and months to think over where I should go, and where I could explore. And the only time I could do it- was when I realized I was going to try everything in my power to bring you back." 
The energy of Midna's dark beauty hovered around him like a ghost. "I wouldn't have cared if I died fighting Ganon... because I thought you were dead." Link admitted, eyes watering.

Midna now let waterfalls flow down her cheeks, and her brow furrowed, but her eyes remained strong. The sensations she'd been holding back forever so long overwhelmed her, choked her. 

"And today I'm making a new promise to you," he began, taking her dainty hand in his, "okay?" 

She nodded, unable to say anything through her tears. He tangled his fingers around hers, taking in all her grief, happiness and sadness. And at that moment he was feeling himself promise also to rid all of that sadness and negativity. She stared at him, as he looked up at her, a confident smile on his face. He wiped a tear from her face, placing his hand on her cheek and wiping it away. His longing eyes promised something before he even said it.

"I'll keep seeing you, later after later."

Midna smiled through tears when he said it, lighting striking. The barriers and walls around her heart shattered, broke as if they were nothing, had never been anything at all.

"Link, I-"

A loud crashing sound made them jump, and they whipped around to find, they were face to face with the Gods. Gods made of unholy ruthless murder and dark evil.

"Gods," Midna spat disgustingly. Last time, Link found they were threating, and yet today, they reeked the presence of anger and hate. They were the embodiment of negativity which dragged other people down. 

In instinct, Link whipped out his sword, but Lanaryu shot a small blast of light from its mouth, and it knocked Link to the side.
"No!" Midna screamed, running to Link. If either fell from this mountain it was over. Link's sword slipped from his hand, but as it did, he caught it in its grasp again, ready to die to save Midna.

Midna heard an emanating growl coming from the Gods, and her chest wrenched within itself. The violent sudden change of air struck a chord in her, and she shook as Link stood back up. Staring up at the Gods together, defying them, Midna felt anxiety and anger writhe in her chest, longing for safety.

"Do you really think you are going to go against the old way of the world? Fools." Ordona spat, then brought it's head closer. "Traitors."

They seemed so sure of themselves yet entirely angry. They were harsh, demanding of the old way.

"Why do you defy us Gods?"

"GODS?" Midna scoffed unsure of what she was doing. She felt herself warming up with anger, fists clenched. "All you have done is abuse us heroes, who saved you!" Midna raged.

"You suggest... we've done NOTHING?" They shrieked, and it turned Link frigid. "You-" Midna choked on her own anger. "Midna," Link stuttered, looking to Midna, scared she'd be hurt. "YOU'VE DONE NOTHING!" Midna shrieked at them again. 

"We are GODS!" The light beings spat. The voice echoing through the mountains, hatred for her disrespect. "We are the Gods, and we will make you respect us!"

Midna opened her mouth again, but Link grabbed her arm. "Midna-" she stopped. Even Link was unsure what he was trying to do. Midna looked to Link for a quick instant, but in a moment, she whipped out her own sword and went to jump at them in her anger, but she froze in the air. A hand that felt like a demon's clasped itself around her neck. Choking, she ripped and clawed at it. It felt like putrid bones holding her, and her body began to transform into an imp. She tugged at the invisible hand to tear it from her airway, and the pain in her began to pulsate more and more. Darkness and bones grew around her, as Link panicked, now a wolf. He jumped at Midna, but she was much too high. 

Barking, he saw Midna out of consciousness, and he used all the strength and desperation in his hind legs and grabbed her. She fell back onto the mountain. Jerking backward, Link caught her on his back.

"Foolish 'heroes. How could you forget? You are oppressing your own people, princess," they said, poking at her insecurities. "No matter how much you desire him, you'll never be anything but a failure to him, because you cannot be with both him and your people."

Midna stared off, at the view dizzy, confused. There was something in her heart she wasn't sure she'd ever been in company with. "You will never ever be his companion unless you have a death wish." They explained, and Link's barking rang in her ears, yet she was helpless. 
"Hatred, pain, chaos will blot out everything you've worked for," they breathed in her ear.

"For everyone... go back home."

Midna's answer was clear since the beginning, but all Link could do was hold his breath.

"Never. I love him."

Sinister air like nothing else swarmed around them and was cast around the world. "Fine-" Their magic lifted her up, black energy. "You will return to the place you love so, but let's see Link save you now, Princess!"

The magic brought her back, and she realized she was in mortal danger and death was snapping at her heels. She struggled as Link whined loudly, scared and confused, breaking her bitter heart. The spirit flung her off the mountain, and Link panicked and looked back at the Gods, who glared at Link. He snapped his jaws and growled at them. He jumped after Midna.

The war had begun.


End of Arc 1


© 2020 Vertigo Cat1111


Author's Note

Vertigo Cat1111
AHHHH THE END OF ARC 1111 SORRY IM JUST EXCITED. Okay, anyway, lol, there are 2 more arcs. I believe this was the longest one, though. Just be prepared to have a lot of fun now, and things are getting SERIOUS. (:< Okay, I'm done I'm writing like an actual child.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

23 Views
Added on October 12, 2020
Last Updated on October 12, 2020
Tags: Link. Midna. Zelda. Sword. Twili

Legend Of Twilight: Everlasting Dawn


Author

Vertigo Cat1111
Vertigo Cat1111

About
🐱💙My biggest writing inspirations are Lorde, Gabbie Hanna, and Phoebe Bridgers. If you like any of them feel free to talk to me about it! Never be afraid to go on tangents to talk abou.. more..

Writing