Chapter 30: Forgotten Father

Chapter 30: Forgotten Father

A Chapter by Vertigo Cat1111
"

Some things are best forgotten... but what about heritage, and family?

"
Link's boot sludged the snow, which was much wetter than usual and a good sign they were drawing closer to green grass, and the Zorons. Thank the Goddesses, Link felt. The sooner they got out of the white, cold mess, the better.
Midna hummed beside him and grabbed some snow, making different shapes with it.

"You know, snow squares are a lot funnier then snowballs," Midna inquired. "Really?" Link said. "Can you even make snow squares? Like... is that possible?"
"Oh yeah," Midna said as if it was a fact she was teaching him. "You see, Link-"

Midna was cut off and Link got whacked in the back of the head by something cold. "Hey, what the hell?" he asked, wincing in pain, and rubbing the back of his head.

He turned around. "Midna did you see who-"
She was giggling and no longer holding snow. He slowly looked at the hand that touched the back of his hand and saw crumbling snow. "OH," he slowly smirked. "I see how it is."

He reached down to grab some snow with his left hand, then shouted. "Ow!" 
"Oh, Link are you okay?" Midna ran over.

Both of them had completely forgotten his ice burns. Midna had at first wondered why she hadn't gotten any herself but remembered her gloves weren't fingerless, and the Twilight Realm had a certain element of always being cold. It was something she'd always had a hard time explaining, but she'd grown up used to the chill.

"Yeah... I'm alright," he chuckled. "But it doesn't look like I'll be winning any snowball fights soon," he joked. Midna smiled softly at him. "Or snowman building competitions."
Link raised an eyebrow. "That sounds boring. I think I'm fine going on without snowman building competitions."

"Good idea," she muttered, grabbing his wrist and gazing at his fingers. Unsure of what was the best course of action. She leaned her head closer to his hand and blew warm breath on his hand. "Woah," Link giggled. "Kinda feels nice."
Midna looked up at him and chuckled. 

"Need something for that?" said an unknown voice.
Link and Midna turned neck-break speed towards the man. Link immediately knew he looked familiar. 

The man wore heavy, winter armor, and boots. Not much to it besides carrying a sword, and bow. His hair was light brown, but his eyes looked ever familiar.
They were brown and slanted, with heavy lashes.
Link knew he'd seen someone like him before. Trying to bring up who it was in his mind, the memories of the person brought frustration and confusion.

"Uh... who are you?" Link asked. The man stared at Link. "I should be asking you that- because you can't be the Hero of Time."
Link nodded. "Right, 'cause I'm the Hero of Twilight."

The newcomer raised an eyebrow. "As in the Twilight Realm?" He looked to Midna.
She nodded. "That's right."

The man was silent for a mere moment, then grinned. "God, what have I been missing out on?"
Link smiled uncomfortably. "Quite a lot." But Link shook his head. "Um, I'm sorry, who are you."

The mystery man stared. "Hey, listen, I'm just as confused as you," he said. "I never thought I'd be seeing the green suit- in real life."
Link realized how confused the poor man must feel. He's -for so long- used to being the Hero in green, used to everyone knowing he was Link, a Hero... and here was a new guy, who had to be so confused... 

If he hadn't been in Hyrule for the whole charade.

"How long have you been out of Hyrule?" Link asked. He took notice of the man's extremely long and scraggly beard and guessed he'd been out of there for a long time.

"Oh... a long time," he said, and a sudden sadness glazed over his eyes. "A long... long time... I can't seem to find my way back."
"You can't find you're way back?" Midna exclaimed, "you're almost to Hyrule! Where'd you come from?"

The man's brown eyes widened. "I'm- I'm almost there!?" he shouted. "You're kidding! OH! My daughter! I'm gonna find her!" he smiled, and Link took notice of the extreme, wild desperation in his eyes.

"Your daughter?" Link asked. "What's her name?"
The man then frowned. 

"That's... one of the problems. Mainly with me. I was among the mountains with my friends, and an avalanche... well... They assumed I was dead, I think because they're all gone. I don't know how long I was out, but I woke up without any memory. So I became a traveler."
This story brought memories back to Link. Ilia... had also suffered from this.

"And so I kept traveling, unsure... I'd get faint memories but couldn't remember much. And then one day- months later... I remembered. And realized I had a daughter to get back to. So I've been looking for Hyrule for- I don't know how long." He sighed, seeming sad. But then he looked back up. "But you say I'm close?" he said, hope shining in his eyes.

Link nodded. "Rather close... See, keep going south. You'll be there in no time. You'll come across the mountains, climb over those, and you're in Hyrule."
The man's mustache raised in a grin. "My goodness, goodness! Thank you so much!" he cheered. "May I ask your names?" he said. 
"I'm Link, and-" "I'm Midna." 

He shook their hands. "I thought... the realm was closed off..." he sputtered. Midna turned to Link and smiled. "It's a long story... if we see you again, we can speak, but I'm sure you wanna get home to your daughter."
He nodded vigorously, cheerfully. 

"By the way," Link said, getting a weird feeling in the pit of his stomach. "Do... you perhaps remember you're daughters name- if you don't mind telling us?" Midna aggressively nudged Link. "He just said he can't remember. 

The man nodded. "Yes, but she's my little girl... I just hope she recognizes me. I can only remember she had pale skin, black hair... Eyes like her mother, but that's all."

Link's heart dropped. "Ashei?"
He looked at Link. "Ashei? Why... why I think..." His eyes widened. 
"She's apart of our- Yes, I know her! She explores all the mountains and always talks about her dead father!"

The man's face changed from shock to ecstatics. "How is she!?" he shouted. "She's great! You'd be so proud of her! She helped in the last war and she's gonna help us out here, see, the Resistance are gonna-"

"Wait, huh?" The man asked confused. "Uh-" Link started. "She'll tell you everything- but do you remember Kakariko Village?" Link asked.
The man's eyes shone. "By heart!" 

"Well, that's where she is- if not, wait for her there. She might be recruiting the Gorons-" "For WHAT?"

Link opened his mouth to speak, then turned to Midna, who looked expressionless. Turning back, he said, "I'm sorry, but I think Ashei can tell you everything."

"Or Telma- Ashei's a bit upset at us right now."
The man nodded. "She was fierce. "Still is."

"But are you sure it's even your daughter?" Midna frowned, thinking this man and Link were getting far too ahead of themselves.

The man suddenly looked annoyed, "I know my daughter's name when I- I remember it."

"All I'm saying is... don't get your hopes too high."

"Okay... okay," he said, looking disbelieving. "Thank you- so, so much... Does she ever talk about me?"
"All the time," Link smiled. "She always says you made her who she is- trained her as a real knight."
The man's eyes began to water. 


Midna felt bad, but smiled gently at him, before she, strangely enough, got emotional herself. "She's waiting for you, bud."
He grinned and them, and then ruffled through his band.

He found some sort of bottle of something and tossed it to Link, then threw his backpack on once again.
"Thank you so much!" And the man hurried off south. 

Midna laughed. "You're welcome!" she waved after the running man. Link turned to her wide-eyed. "What a turn of events!" he chuckled. Midna giggled, nodding in agreement. "I can't wait to see what Ashei thinks," she said. She then looked to the tube Link held. "What is that?" she asked as he snapped the white top open.
"Frostbite ointment," he showed Midna the tube. "Huh," she said. "Nice, especially for you- if it's not in the upper 90's you're shivering like a baby," she joked.

"Hey!" Link laughed along with. "You're the one who'd live on Pluto if she could," he smirked, looking at her. Her smile dropped, and her head tilted. "Pluto?" she mispronounced. 

"What's that?"
Link rolled his eyes. "Never mind."

But he made a mistake, and she growled. 

"Hey, don't you dare roll your eyes at me!" She shouted. Link looked at her and whimpered. "Okay, okay," he winced, and transformed back into a wolf, and she went back into her short imp form. "You're lucky I don't fu..."
The rest of what she said was inaudible to him as she plopped herself on his furry back.

Ahead was what looked like The Zorgons home. Hopefully, they'd run into some patrol, but if they didn't they'd be there in to time soon. He propelled himself forward, snow torrenting away behind him. 

"HEY! WOAH!" Midna yelled, seemingly unprepared. Wolf Link's tongue lolled out the side of his mouth, as Midna ducked closer to him, looking ahead, but squinting, the air making her eyes teary.

------

Link was slowing down as he was about to enter the Zorgon's Domain anytime soon. He stepped into the cascade of drier earth then the slushy snow could offer. Ah, finally, solid ground. 

The inside of Stormsky's ground would always remain damp though, because of how often it rained, and the intensity it did, both he and Midna learned. Link had figured this because of his love for nature. Though the rain had not fallen on them here for some time, the skies hinted that the next time would be very, very soon. 

They remained silent, but still a bit chilly. They could only keep going now. But even if it's silent, Link had not known solitude since he'd fixed the Mirror- a comforting thought.

Midna sat up energetically. A drop of rain splatted on her mask, and she shook it off. "It's nice that we're here and all, but it'll be sunset soon- we've been out since the moon was falling, so when are we gonna sleep?" she asked curiously, leaning over to his ear. He signaled with his ear he was about to transform, and she hovered off, hands on her hips.

Link turned human and looked at her. "Don't you think we still have more time to keep going?" He asked. Midna nodded, but still looked stern. "Well, yeah," she agreed. "But we're not gonna find more shelter like this," she pointed out, "or food."

Link squinted at her. "True. But we can make do with anything- and we have food." 
"We're running out."

Link stared off thinking about this... It'd still be better if they kept going, right?
"I hope you know I know why you wanna go."

The Hylian looked to her. "Huh?" Midna shook her head, folding her arms now, moved from her hips. "You feel bad, think this is a mess."
Link gulped. Generally, Midna was the one who wanted to rush, not him.

She looked pretty damn stern. Link could see she was detecting his blushing feelings, but he just looked away, sweating now.
But she was smart, and simply hovered behind him, her gaze sullen- but she seemed to know what she was doing. "I hope you're not feeling sorry for everyone around you."

"Yeah- actually, I am," he said, unsure what direction he was taking. He said it a bit more bitter then he'd meant to. But honestly, he still did feel bad and blamed himself. He didn't know if that would ever go away, especially if someone ended up hurt or dead- which he knew was bound. 

Anytime he had the moment, he wondered if this huge war was all his fault. But no- the Gods had thrown a fit, basically. But it was he still started it. 

He'd been unable to hold back.

Midna hovered to the front of him and grabbed his cheeks, squishing them together. "Hey!" she exclaimed in his face. He nearly whimpered. What the hell- was she okay?

But her one eye he could see was glowing determinedly. "Link, you need to stop blaming yourself. This is obviously some form of destiny- I mean, what were you supposed to do, listen to my mask cry like a baby forever, and get a pounding headache?" she said.

Was he truly to blame?

He tripped upon confusing answers to his confusing questions. Wherein he could've left this all alone and let the journey end, for some reason there was still an air of magic and adventure, and not to mention Zelda's growing empire against her. 

They needed Midna at some point. The Mirror was honestly never meant to be broken.
No matter what the need to help and find Midna had been his number one priority for almost a year now... He hoped it was able to stay that way.

Unsure of what to do, Link realized they had been like this for a moment. Midna then planted a harsh unexpected kiss on his nose, then pulled away quickly.
"Bleh," she said, but he could see the sparkle in her eyes. "Hehe, you liked it," he teased.

"Link! Midna! Is that you!?"

Link and Midna turned to find someone they recognized- Sebastian, the hyperactive Gorzon. For some reason, the duo was excited to see him. They ran over.

"Sebastian!" Link laughed and hugged him. Midna was a little less excited, but let Sebastian hug her also when he hugged her significant other.

"I missed you guys!" he chuckled. 
"Are these friends?" Asked another Gorzon, standing next to two Zorgons. They looked a little confused, bu.t not exactly hostile. One of the Zorgons eyes lit up. "Oh, yes!" he said. "Remember when King Comet mentioned that the hero Link came to stop by, but we missed him?" he said. 

"This is him!" he exclaimed gesturing.
The Gorzon who asked if they were friends snorted and rolled his eyes. "Hero... anyone who comes from Hyrule is NOT a Hero, in my eyes... Nor should he be in any of yours!"

Link was taken aback, as was Midna. "Huh?" Midna whispered to Link. He shrugged, although in his mind he guessed, inaudibly. It must have something to do with the leaders of their original homes banishing the Zora and Goron who fell in love.

"You're Hylian!" The agitated Gorzon spat. "There's no way your both getting in these mountains!" He basically declared.
...

Both Link and Midna were unsure whether to be intimidated, considering they were facing GODS, and the other group, besides the growling Gorzon seemed unsure too. "Well, we've made it this far," Link said, rather casually.

For a second the Gorzon's face dropped, but then formed into an ugly scowl again. "This far- for what!?" he shouted, throwing his arms down.

"ENOUGH!" A female voice shouted. Link, and even Midna flinched. The creature stood, seemingly shocked. But they split apart for the woman to make way. One of the Zorgons stepped forward, bigger staff in hand than the others. She seemed to be leader of the patrol.

Midna had thought there were only Zorgons, or Gorzons, but this one was almost full Zora, but the only thing was her elbow and hips were concaved in a rocklike material, a Goron would have. 

Even around her head, shoulders, and chest.
She stood smaller and shorter than the others but held a unique presence.

"Are they so evil you have to act like a child, Brook?" the girl frowned. Brook scowled at her, but the short woman looked to Link and Midna. "I apologize for that-

I'm Molly," she introduced. Link nodded, unsure of what else to do. "It's not our PLACE," she said, looking behind her to shoot daggers at Brook with her gray-blue eyes, "to say what happens to civilians of Hyrule. King Comet will decide."

Both Link and Midna and even Sebastian opened their mouth to object, but Molly gestured for them to follow. "Come on. Follow me."
Midna gulped. She wanted to say Comet was friendly with them- but knew there was no point.

The only thing was they felt more like prisoners than anything at the moment.


© 2020 Vertigo Cat1111


Author's Note

Vertigo Cat1111
Please tell me what you think! I'm really excited to get deeper into this story and am excited to see what everyone else thinks! And I can't wait to post We All Have A Story To Tell, the first book in my original series, although that one is a rather a short one.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

21 Views
Added on October 18, 2020
Last Updated on October 18, 2020
Tags: Link. Midna. Zelda. Twilight Pri

Legend Of Twilight: Everlasting Dawn


Author

Vertigo Cat1111
Vertigo Cat1111

About
🐱💙My biggest writing inspirations are Lorde, Gabbie Hanna, and Phoebe Bridgers. If you like any of them feel free to talk to me about it! Never be afraid to go on tangents to talk abou.. more..

Writing