Chapter 38: Brothers

Chapter 38: Brothers

A Chapter by Vertigo Cat1111
"

It's time for Link and Midna to confront Ravana first if they're ever to get to the Gods.

"
The gravity of the war was becoming all too real, as they approached Hyrule Castle's entrance. Link had never wanted anything to happen to any of them. There was so much more to his life then he'd ever thought. So much had happened and came to light. He could never go back to his past, and he knew he didn't long to.

But none of this mattered anymore, at all. They loved each other and were so close to saving the world.

Onward, they walked. As they faced the gray force-field around the Castle, they began to ponder on how to break it. 

Link exhaled shortly, tilting his head. He stripped his mind of easy solutions. He didn't know much about Ravana- his half-brother- but he seemed ruthless. He couldn't think of an easy solution, for the probable reality is there probably was none. "We need to... figure this out."

Gently, Midna pressed her hand against it.

"What do you suppose we should do?" she asked, turning to Link. He stared at it, up and down. He was not sure.
Midna withdrew her hand from the energy field when he didn't answer and then gasped. Where she had put her hand, a hole was made. She stuck a finger in, and it seemed to be a real hole.

Link turned to it, confused. "How did that happen?" "...I dunno. I just put my hand there, and..." an idea came into her mind and she suddenly looked at Link.
"What if-"

Suddenly and roughly, she took Link's hand and held it. She screwed her eyes shut tightly, and began muttering under her breath. "Midna, um-" he began to say, but then stopped, not wanting to interrupt whatever his partner was doing.

Out of nowhere, slow energy began burning in his hands, and Midna stared in his eyes, intensely. "You feel that?" she asked. Link nodded, blushing under her gaze.

She withdrew her hands, and Link looked to his hands. A yellow, gray and light blue power was dancing it his hands. "I think this is what you were talking about, Link."
"What did it make?" he asked, confused at the tickling electricity.

"I suppose it made Dawn. Think, you have Light, and I have Twilight- together that's Dawn."

The Hylian stared at his hands and then pushed them on the force-field and suddenly, it began evaporating. 
"Link, we did it!" Midna whisper shouted. "Let's go!'

---
They hurried into the field of the Castle and entered the door. What the found, was what they had seen last time. Except, tall shrouds of the darkest black shadow hovering in each corner.
Link walked over to it, confused. "Careful," Midna warned him.

Strangely, the dark clouds seemed to have been alive, coiling about his fingers ominously, as if trying to tie its death around his hands, then him. He shook free of the darkness and it wafted away but still stretched out to reach for him. 
He moved away from the shadow, feeling frightened. Into the depths, they went.

Lighting flashed off from somewhere and silhouetted him.

The hour of war was at their hand. Link could not help but feel threatened by the largeness of the castle. He'd been in here, going to take down Ganondorf, but something about it now, felt rotten, haunted almost? 

He longed for any hidden passages to get them to Ravana much quicker then the usual route would take them- and whatever they knew of the raven-haired man, was he seemed to be the type to set traps. Link had a rotten feeling he was a coward, rather dealing with killing them by other means, rather than getting his hands dirty himself.


The eerie torchlight that flickered, didn't help the creepy atmosphere at all, as his boots clicked on the shiny tile, slightly dusted in a black cloud. He stepped lightly, but the footsteps still echoed, and with a pang of anxiety, he wondered if anyone could hear.
Ahead, there was a new staircase placed, and it made everything much easier, as long as he could find the way to Ravana.

Suddenly, loud footsteps alerted them, and yelling men ran at them. Guards. Traitors of Zelda. Soon, their enemies were upon them. But immediately, they were in motion. Their swords moved and went in and out of the enemies around them. It didn't take long at all for the men to lay on the floor, in heaps of their own blood.

Trying to ignore any sensation of guilt, he moved past the traitors he and Midna had just dispatched, and they moved on, making sure there were no others. Hurrying up the staircase, Midna almost slipped on her last step. She was nervous.

They made their way for a door, silently, and as Link opened it, someone yelled in anger. A large sword swung towards Midna's head, and she didn't have time to duck, and Link met the enemies sword with his own, making a metal clanking sound.

"Woah!" Midna yelled, jumping away. Taking in what just happened, she looked at the large knight for several seconds, then shoved her sword into his abdomen.

Barely having any time to process, the knight cried out in pain, gurgling on his own blood, and swung once again at Midna. The force he swung with, could've killed anyone, but Midna was smart and quick.

Yelling, Midna kicked the man's helmet, and he fell over, shouting. Stabbing him once again, he began to wheeze and cough then went silent.
Panting, Midna nudged him around a bit. "I think he's dead."
Link nodded. "Assuming."

The knight was no match for them. After this moment, Link leaned against the wall and caught his breath for a moment. "That wasn't too hard." Link chuckled.
"If not terrifying," Midna admitted.

Ignoring the dark clouds around them, they trudged up some more stairs. Momentarily, he eased up, then slapped himself mentally for letting his mind dawdle.

They entered the walkway, that was outside and Link looked to the stormy skies.
"What are we doing out here?" Midna asked. The Hylian shrugged. "I don't know- as I'm not quite sure where to go."
"Wouldn't he be in the throne room?"

Link winced. He didn't like the thought of another usurper, filling him with rage. "I know, I know..." He liked to believe that was not true.

Midna stared softly at Link, empathy making her heartache.

However though, as Link imagined Ravana sitting smugly on Zelda's very throne, thunder sounded and made him jump. It was close, almost by their feet. He almost wished the Resistance were here.

As they entered the next room, they barely had time to dodge. Dozens and dozens of Lizaflos in silver armor, came charging. Link and Midna sprung to action, and it was an easy job. Each hit was loud as it clattered against their armor, and Link wondered how he wasn't more tired. But the hits were light, rather than too heavy.

He was used to this. THEY were used to this. Wide swings, fast steps were all it took.

Lizaflos in armor was more of a problem than unguarded ones, but it wasn't much, not at all. And soon, all around Link and Midna were nothing more than piles of armor. It was all the evidence they needed to know they were closer to Ravana. The bigger the army, the closer to winning.

---

The wings proved to be rather quicker than the last time, considering everything wasn't as broken, and they knew the exact way, the worst thing in their way was enemies, monsters. But no doors were locked, and the Bokoblins were as weak as ever. It confused the couple, though they stayed silent about it. Why was Ravana surrounded by all these weak monsters, and no locked doors? He obviously was playing a game and wanted them to get there as fast as possible.

Link wouldn't let him get the satisfaction of winning, because he knew that was what was racing in his cruel mind a the moment.

The fear Link felt as they headed up the castle, assailed his mind. He took a few steps into the echoey room, new tiles that'd in the place, walls covered in gorgeous paintings. He admired them for several seconds, before climbing the stairs. He did not need to look to Midna for reassurance- he knew she was right there.

Stepping out in the cold air, where the throne room was, and headed to the throne room. It held a different kind of brilliance.

He then took a breath, not letting fear take over, and without any reluctance, his mind ablaze. He and Midna were about to face the son of Zant and his half-brother. His own brother seemed so cold and devoid of emotion. And yet calm and collected, just like his father. They were going to defeat his own brother, who was also just a mere mystery to him. He was completely clueless about his own flesh and blood.

The partners stood close to each others side, and as the made it to the throne room, Link raised his sword slightly, threateningly. "Ravana, it's time." He said. He was his brother- but Link promised justice.

He didn't want Midna to know he was scared. She could read him whenever she wanted to. He somehow knew Ravana could simply not win, but it didn't ease his fear.

Ravana stood up, and Link saw the familiar smirk that coiled his lips. "I see your love for Midna has ruined your destiny- bravery, and everything else." His crude voice replied. 

Midna's scowl was intense.

"Do you not see the light spirits are evil- hungry?" Ravana now spoke to Link. Link glared angrily, wanting the evil man to never set green eyes upon Midna again.

Midna furrowed her brow, and she felt every angry nerve in her body twitching.
"They are disgusting, to be forgotten. They need to be locked away, tortured, as our kind were- don't you agree, Midna?

"We are-"
 
Ravana roughly stood up after Midna spoke. Glaring at her as if she were his most hated enemy. "Keep your mouth closed, woman"

Link's grip tightened angrily "Ravana, you are NOT-!"
"-Let me tell you both, why you are so very wrong."

He came over, taking steps slowly, and Link expected to be jumped on at any moment. As he walked, he dragged his all-black sword, scraping as it touched the floor.

All this time, Link was trying to inch over, to hide Midna from the revolting man. He was not his brother. Not anymore.
Ravana glared at them, eyes squinted into green slits. 

"You people... the people of light, are the ones that always mess everything up, perpetually. Disgusting," he spat.
"Because of you, we have to be mere beetles stuck under you."

Link glared angrily, and Midna followed along. This was all Ravana was- exactly the same as his father. A childlike man, who thought the world was a toy. He'd changed, lost his sanity, just like his father.

"We had to serve and endure- true," Midna began glowering. "But, that's in the past. Don't you see what's happening now?" Midna asked, gesturing to Link. "He loves me, and I don't think you're going about this the right way, Ravan-"

"I AM going about this, the perfect way, princess. And how have I done this, you are thinking? Because my father was the most powerful man there was! Because the Gods chose us to be true champions of this world!" He yelled, sounded almost high and shrill now, he turned his eyes on Link. "They chose US! THAT is what is happening!"

He used to have a cool and calm exterior, but now he seemed insane, just like his father. "I have danced under footfall for too long! Zant may have been my father, a brilliant man, but now it's MY turn to have the spotlight." He panted. Ravana's head hung low for a second, but then his head snapped up and his eyes set on them, causing the two to step backward for a second. His eyes were burning like embers.
 
Suddenly, his face eased sadly. "Just let it be my TURN!" He suddenly screeched. Suddenly he stood up, extremely straight. "But they said NO!" His body slumped once again. "I can be stronger then my father and be the leader, Link, and Midna if you would let me-"

"WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU ASKING!?" Midna suddenly screamed at him, he stood up, not so straight, in shock. "Figure it out! Are you with your father, or against him? What's your goal? Are you along the Gods side? Pick a loyalty!"

There was silence, and he slumped down again. "Midna..." Link said in a warning tone, to get back. Who knew what this man was capable of? 

Suddenly, his back arched and his face held passionate anger. "They will call me a king, they will!" He cried.

"They will not call you king!" Midna spat, interrupting him. She had enough of his fits, his confusion. "Just like your father, that rotten usurper, it's that look on your face! You cannot decide what you long to do! Even in this hour, you cannot! No one will ever turn to you!"

She wanted the conversation to turn into a confrontation.

He seemed to have a frail understanding, staring off, at the floor. Midna snorted, and Link stared at her. "You're stuck in a niche of hatred and jealousy. Look to the light, and find the right answer! You know what it is!"

Something about the look on Ravana's face exuded and dripped sickness, making both Link and Midna feel ill. His gaunt face at that moment would haunt Midna forevermore. "No... The Gods are right- you're both wrong. I know-"
"You don't know anything!" Midna's shrill voice cracked the air, breaking his precious thoughts to pieces.
Link stepped forward, he glared. "Ravana, get off your high horse-"

Ravana looked at them, his green eyes penetrating. "Midna, you are wrong," he whispered shakily, voice low now as if he'd gotten over his fit.

"I will be remembered forever..." he panted. "We will break the light- and there will never be another Dawn as long as I am remembered!"

In a flash, lightning struck, and the thunder was a booming roar. Flying back the lighting flew through the castle, almost directly where Link and Midna stood.

It seemed as if everything paused for a brief moment until the time came back with a full force. Link removed his blade and kept his eyes locked on Ravana.

They hurried and stood back up, and both quickly raised a shield. They were several far feet from each other, and Midna went running to Link, but Ravana sliced her and she fell on her stomach. Snarling and giving the usurper and evil glare, she rubbed her cheek. Midna looked back to Link, and hurried, as shields began to scrape together. 

"Link!" she cried. Link saw her on the floor rubbing her cheek, and hurt filled him. This had to end. With a new force, grunting, he pushed his shield harder into Ravana's. With everything in her, Midna gathered a magic ball in her hands, now the grayish blue color with an aura of light yellow, and with much courage, heaved the orb at Ravana. It just barely missed.

Flinching, Midna wanted to cry as it reverberated against the wall- but she then got lucky- as it bounced back and it hit Ravana in the head.

Dust from bricks about crumbled down, and when Ravana fell, for several moments, it seemed to have zapped him of his energy. Link lifted his sword up and went to stab him, but Ravana rolled away and kicked Link's leg. He tumbled backward, and almost fell down the hole, the shot of lighting created.

Gasping, his breath fogged as the wind blew his lower body as he hung. In a huff of fear, he pulled himself back up, the frustration that he missed his killing blow cascading through him.

Link saw Midna and Ravana colliding their swords. The wind blew, and it began to pour, extremely hard. He recovered quickly and stood tall. Midna glanced at Link and was shocked to see him crawling out, but as he hurried over, his blue piercing eyes shone in the dark, angrier than any fiery galaxy.
Ravana turned and saw Link.

Ravana charged.

Insanely, he swung his sword, and Midna cut him from behind before the strong winds knocked her down. The cut began to drain Link's brother of his strength, his energy. But he would not give up- if he killed one the other would give up. They had become much too dependent. Their love for each other was too much.
And all he wanted to do- was kill them. If he could eliminate one, the other would fall, then the Resistance they'd worked so hard to gather would add to his army...The best to kill was Link, the strongest... it was a brilliant plan-

All he had to do was execute it perfectly.

He kicked Link to the ground and he gasped, almost falling down the hole. "T-traitor!" Ravana cried with a grin on his face. He lifted his sword up and was about to plunge it down. Link huffed loudly, in frustration that this was the second time it had happened in several minutes, and at all, and in fear. Was this his end?

Suddenly, he heard Midna yell, and a ball of Dawn flew and shot through Ravana's chest. Altogether, he stopped.

He stared wide-eyed, realizing what happened, as his body began to shut down. His sword, fell through the hole Link was dangling off of, and Link never heard it clatter. Link stared in shock, mouth slightly open. His brother was drained of life and of hope.
Link felt something in him ache. He never even got to know the only family member of his, that was still alive.

Ravana wobbled, and relief flooded Link as Midna rushed over and helped him up. Pulling her up with his hands, and shock filled her as Ravana turned to them, wide-eyed.

"F-...foolish..."

Midna wiped dust mixed with blood off of her hand, glancing down, then quickly back up, curious. Links stared. His breaths sounded as if he was dying. "You will- never, ever- destroy Gods!" Ravana coughed. He let those words sink and that they already had. Ravana's attempt to stop them- they already knew this.
But they still knew they could win. "The power you think you have- it is not real!" Ravana continued to cough.

"You are my brother and you..." He said, trying to shock Link once again, but those words had already sunken in. The fact his father was a usurper, evil mastermind.
"Once the Gods kill you, they will resurrect ME!"

Those shouting words caught the partners off guard, and solemn anger and a sense of fear flashed in their eyes, reflecting a strike of lighting. They had come all this way to kill Ravana... and of course, he could be revived by the Gods. But Link and Midna's fear was not in this world any longer. It'd crept off and disappeared into the tiny hole where it had come from.

It was time for the end.

Midna could then not contain her rage, and rather suddenly, a ball of her magic formed in her arms, and she flung it forcefully.

Suddenly, Ravana yelled in pain, as his bones began to crack, and snap loudly, and it was too strong... he fell backward.

And was gone forever.

"Link, we..." Midna's soft voice lowered. She could not comprehend they had just done it. She'd never wanted revenge more. Anxiety overwhelmed and she was afraid. She realized the Gods warnings- maybe she should've heeded it.

Link looked to where Ravana had just stood... where he had once stood. The memory of almost dying passed through him. 

This also reminded Midna of her purpose. The path she had to follow to the bitter end. She couldn't afford to be scared, she could not afford to agree. She had to use this fear, and make it determination. She would not allow the luxury of returning home. If anything happened when they fought the Gods- if anyone died- if she did if Link did...

They still always had each other.

Turning to Link, she shouted. "Now is the time! We have to go!" She was basically pleading.

Link steadied himself. She was right. The ruler of Twili was right. After going through so much, she was true. She'd done so much, seen so much- it was time.

"We can't take every power from the Gods. We can't do everything right..." Midna said. "But we have the Everlasting Dawn bestowed upon us. No matter what happens."

Midna hurried to the door and looked to Link. Every emotion in the world shone in her ruby eyes. The devotion she had given him, could never be repaid. The battle had shown him, Midna had no issues with fighting by his side. He already knew this, though. Her eyes said it all.

It gave Link everything he'd ever need. The past year told him an overwhelming amount of information. It showed him every length the one you're meant to be with would go for you.

The look in her eyes told him everything no one would ever have to.

She waved him on. "It's time! The world is waiting!"


© 2020 Vertigo Cat1111


Author's Note

Vertigo Cat1111
The end is coming! Thank you for reading and all rights belong to Nintendo, besides my own stuff!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

27 Views
Added on October 27, 2020
Last Updated on October 27, 2020
Tags: Link. Midna. Zelda. Twilight Pri

Legend Of Twilight: Everlasting Dawn


Author

Vertigo Cat1111
Vertigo Cat1111

About
🐱💙My biggest writing inspirations are Lorde, Gabbie Hanna, and Phoebe Bridgers. If you like any of them feel free to talk to me about it! Never be afraid to go on tangents to talk abou.. more..

Writing