Chapter 14: Setting Off And Pasts

Chapter 14: Setting Off And Pasts

A Chapter by Vertigo Cat1111
"

When Midna and Link are preparing to set off, their hit with an entire story... a story about a past that seems too familiar.

"
"You're leaving so soon?" Comet asked. 
The sun was barely up, it's bright glory shining down on the earth. Link shuffled around, feeling anxious to get up and get going. Like, now. 
He kicked his boots against the ground, patiently waiting. "Um, yeah, we gotta go." Midna sighed, looking awkward. "Yeah, we kinda, um, have a kingdom to save, I think," she mumbled shyly. She seemed to not wanna make a huge deal about it, and Link understood why. He was never was one to ever make a big deal of things, even if it WAS a huge deal. But then again, why was Midna so... different around the hybrids?
"Saving a KINGDOM, you say? What's wrong with Hyrule?" 
Link sighed. It'd be long and hard to explain. But might as well start. 
"We'd better sit down."
----
"Oh my goodness..." Comet mumbled. He seemed thoroughly shocked. Link couldn't blame him. 
It was a crazy, situation, but despite understanding the Zorgons surprise, he was suddenly worried- and embarrassed- that he would think Link was an idiot for bringing Midna back.
"But, that doesn't make any sense," Comet scowled. 
Midna nodded. "I know. So, we have to keep going. But, thank you, so, so much for letting us stay, and feeding us," Midna said, all the while wincing inwardly. She never spoke this way, and as far as she was concerned, she didn't NEED any help.
Comet shook his head. "No, I mean, it literally doesn't make sense. It's all told in ancient books, Twilight and Light do NOT make Evil. It makes Dawn. That's very obvious, the Gods should know that, and I don't know why they're LYING to you."
Midna's heart started to pound, mind started to race, palms started to sweat. What... what could he possibly mean by that? She was inclined to listen further, yet worry churned in her stomach. What was the King about to tell her?
"Well, we were also, infamous in Hyrule," Comet began, eyes staring down. If Link was capable, he wouldn't have smiled nervously. But now, he couldn't.
Swallowing, they listened.
"Or- no, let me get this right. There was an annual holiday trading, where we all trade- You've heard of it, of course, Link?" Comet asked him. Link nodded. Each year, around October, a strange man would come to Ordon, or Rusl would set out, and they'd trade each other things. Rusl had to give away lots of pumpkins at that time. But either way, Link as a young boy, would always hide behind a building, scared of the man. Uli and the rest of the woman would always comfort him, and assure him, Ordona wasn't being sold. He would whimper, and Ilia would laugh and tease him. 
One day, he was so fed up with her teasing, he chomped on her hand, embarrassing Rusl in front of the scary man from Castle Town, and they were both grounded, for almost a week. But as he grew into a teenager, he was less afraid and helped load the pumpkins in the man's cart.
It was a story the laughed about now, even the man from Castle Town and Link, handing down the pumpkins to him.
Link felt a bit of guilt wash over him. He wondered how they were... It was the first time in a while he'd wondered, honestly.
"And, one Goron and one Zora fell deeply in love. They weren't sure who to tell, so they would meet upon at night, in Hyrule. The Goron told his Zora, 'you have to tell you're parents, it can't go on like forever.' He was worried." Comet explained.
Midna nodded, fingers gripped onto the armrest, deeply invested.
"So, she agreed. She told her mother and father, who were coincidentally, King and Queen. They didn't say much. Their daughter thought she was in the clear, out of the woods... Until the next Harvest Moon... The King and Queen told the leaders of the Goron Tribe, and the parents agreed, to exile them. Or kill the two, possibly. They were ruthless, and they were a disgrace, they thought. But the Goron overheard, and told the Zora, and they put their heads together, and ran away before being publicly shamed, or hurt... separately."
Midna's heart caught in her throat... Murder? The Goron and Zora Tribe? Really?
"And, running away was the best decision they'd ever made. They started a family and their own tribe. Here, in Stormsky. They decided to visit the Gods, at a church. If you have not seen them, there are plenty of churches around here. They loved their new home but missed their family. The Gods told them to never, ever return. The Gods could not hurt them in Stormsky, supposedly. But they never wanted them to return. They told them they created darkness and evil, but it never happened. It only created happiness, families. No evil was ever created, just love and families. And here we are."
Midna stared, butterflies zipping around in her stomach. It sounded like... her and- Nevermind. The thing was, they had lied. But even if they hadn't created darkness and evil, Link and she came from different realms... That was different- but they had told them the same thing and LIED. It was all very conflicting.
A weary Midna sighed.
"I'm... I'm very sorry that happened to you all. You didn't deserve being banished... I know how it feels. Also how it feels to feel- wrong to..." She choked.
Midna couldn't finish her sentence. What she was gonna say was too close, and she tried to take a breath, realizing when she said' See You Later' she'd meant to say three different words. Link stared at her, looking worried. She had to keep her wall up and she would.
"Do you believe the same thing is happening?" Midna asked, the King. He nodded. "There's absolutely no doubt in my mind. It's nearly the exact same situation."
Midna's face heated up... Wait, did this Zorgon believe they were... in love? 
And was he very far from the truth? At all?
Looking about, Link realized that the guards were all mumbling, as the sun's light emanated brightly. Listening closely, he caught his breath. At a murmur's level, he could hear the Zorgon's clearly talking. "...The excitement and energy level is even higher than when Ganon took control..." One guard judged.
"So, they can't hurt us here?" Midna asked, knowing they couldn't anyway. The Zorgon shrugged. Oh? "I have no idea. I guess they couldn't, but this is bigger than that... Light and Twilight make an amazing powerful substance. I feel they still could. Please be careful, even though, I could be wrong." He said.
Midna's thoughts were heavy, and her ruby eyes stared down. Her breath shook, rattled. It was hard to take in, hard to take in that... Her and Link's story was so similar.
So little differences.
She swiped her tongue over her dry purple-ish lips. This was serious now. Of course, it was serious before, but Midna wasn't ever completely sure the Gods COULD do that if the Goddesess's would let them. Maybe the Goddesses's weren't on their side. Crap. The thought was making Midna anxious and she needed to leave this closing in room, and go back to traveling. She needed to get the Twilit Sword, now. Or, at least very, very soon. Or she just ASAP. She swallowed and looked back up at him.
"T-Thank you very much, Comet." Midna said. "We appreciate you letting us stay the night here, very much."
Comet didn't answer right away. He stared down, pondering seemingly. Midna was suddenly worried, but refused to show it, and stared at him, waiting for an answer. The silence went on so long, the guards began murmuring, glancing at their deep in thought king. 
He slowly looked up, and the guards, quick as lighting, returned to their stance.
"Princess, Hero... this is not really our business... and... we shall get involved, if you wish us too. We'll fight for your freedom." Comet spoke. "We know how it feels. No one should ever go through prejudice."
Midna immediately shook her head. She could NOT get anybody else involved. 
Whatsoever. It was already a huge discombobulation already. It wasn't Link's fault though. It was without recourse. It was perfectly inevitable. But that's when Midna's mind clicked... Would she and Link truly be able to defeat GODS together? They could defy them, but kill them? Midna shuddered. She wanted to say yes to him. But there couldn't be any casualties...
But it was too late for that.
"But you're going to need all the help you can get! We do NOT leave anybody in need, even if that means my very own death," he spat out the word 'death'.
Link's sapphire eyes shifted from Comet to his guards, to Midna, to his lap. But he was slowly starting to find his eyes were getting stuck on the Twilit. Should they let them? It was a HUMONGOUS decision. This could be the thin line from a battle to a war. A big sacrifice. But Comet wasn't wrong, it was all very true. They were very similar to himself and Midna.
"Comet... people will DIE," "Yes, yes, I know, but..." he heard Comet and Midna chattering, but Link found it fading out.
Link was now lost looking at his best friend. There was something about the way his companion gestured... talked... walked... Just how she was. Even when she was furious at him, she was so classy. Beautiful.
She was just MAJESTIC. Something had changed between them since they'd first met... or maybe it's always been there. But whatever it was, it was beyond compare. Perhaps it was like what he'd felt for Ilia... but different. He had never felt this way for Zelda, despite what others thought. She was very much like an older sister. It was different then fairytales because Link was being pulled to the darkness, rather than the regular Princess. Link realized, he loved imperfections... They were more beautiful than perfection.
Midna held such a special place in his heart. But only was it recently had Link come to notice the ways in which her ruby red sharp eyes looked down upon him. He had begun to note the feeling in his heart when he saw her, was now heavier, more serious... He was dazed. Link suddenly grew nervous. In the early morning breeze, he faintly heard thunder, and warmth filled his heart. He was really-
"Link!" Midna hissed, inches from his face. Link's eyes went back to focus, noticing Midna's scary face so close to his. "AH!" Link yelped, jumping back a bit, chair scooting. He felt his face suddenly turn red. That was embarrassing, but... Midna was scary as all hell.
"Link," she repeated through gritted teeth. Her eyes darted to Comet, and Link saw nervousness and embarrassment in her eyes. Comet looked merely amused, a small smile peeking out of the corner of his mouth.
"I asked you a QUESTION, Link! FIVE TIMES!" She whisper-shouted. Geez, Link was in trouble. "Oh! OH! Sorry, what was it?" He said awkwardly, face probably red. He scooched his chair forward, hands folded. It was his best attempt at recovery from something so- utterly and simply embarrassing.
"If we REALLY need it, Comet will fight alongside us, OKAY?" she said, sounding beyond frustrated. He nodded. He could feel heavily that Midna was trying her darn HARDEST not to bite his sorry head off. Most likely, it was because of them being in company.
"Well, thank you so much, we'll be going now," Midna said, adventure and hope rose with her, and she immediately stood next to Link.
"Yes, yes, um... and Hyrule is to the south correct?" "Yep, correct," Midna smiled. It was then that Link gazed up at Midna. They set off.
-----
Midna frowned as she walked ahead. Her brain was in complete deep thought. The gravity of Midna's anxiety was all too real then. She had never felt this worried before somehow. And that just didn't make sense. She never imagined the day when she'd be more worried than when her kingdom was taken over by that disgusting usurper. It was just... there were so many feelings that she was feeling, that she had never predicted... She heard of them all, especially in fairytales... So much had come of light to her mind since she'd said goodbye. And that had hurt so bad. She'd had an entire kingdom, yet she was so, so lonely then.
She wasn't sure if this feeling was always here, with Link had always been here, or if it had grown over time. But-
None of that matters now. They were best friends, and she was going to save Link.
But she couldn't help the little hurtful tinge of worry in her currently battered with a new emotion, heart.
"At this rate, we should be there decently soon. But the climb will be high, and long, not to mention dangerous. It's a race against time..." Midna said with a wearied sigh. She couldn't keep in her woes forever. Yet she wasn't used to telling someone what she was feeling... Only to Link...
Only to Link...
The former farm boy, turned his head to her, as their horses trotted. "It's okay Midna. We'll get there, and we'll be perfectly safe."
Midna calmed slightly at his smile, and her heart began to slow down into a tolerable beat. But then it began to beat again for all the wrong reasons. She full teeth-smiled awkwardly at Link, and he stared at her, confused.
Oh, crap. What was she doing? The smile was so utterly dumb and fake, she was dying inside. "Uh... Midna?" Link asked, and Midna could see his laugh beginning to form on his face. She dropped the fake grin. "Uh, yeah. Thanks, Link." She awkwardly stumbled, then turned her face away, blushing.
There was again, more of a long silence. Midna and Link were side by side, but alone in their own mind. It had nearly been half an hour since their exiting of the exciting place named Rockgoon, and though he'd been happy to see civilization again, guiltiness and sorrow had swollen within him, that'd been waiting to since he'd met Midna again. He could not bring himself to blame anyone but himself. He had stolen Midna away from isolated safety, and Hyrule, and he had admitted danger to the world.
It was all his fault. Although the rain dripped, it did not wash away his guilt. He could feel his sadness taking ahold of him for the first time since Midna had left.
But within a corner of his mind, Link felt hopeful still, that he'd done the right thing. He had come to associate a strange and warm kind of security around Midna, he'd realized recently. They were surrounded by mountains currently, and Link felt strangely safe at the moment. If not guilty as all heck. Link leaned himself against his horse, sighing a bit, but kept it silent. He didn't want Midna to see him mope. He'd never been so happy, to have Midna by his side again, but this guilt was really getting in his way. 
"You know," a voice sounded, that startled the farmboy, "sulking isn't going to help us find that sword."
He felt a smile crack through his mouth. Oh, Midna... 
He stayed silent for a few moments, but then looked at her. "I know, Midna." He breathed in, then sighed once again. "I just... feel like I started a big mess."
...
Link felt confused when Midna said nothing. Shame flooded him more than ever, and he laid his head down, pointy ears flopping. He groaned but stopped quickly hearing Midna's chuckle.
It sounded like a voice ready to break a heart. It made him nervous. "Hahaha! Oh-! Oh, Link! That's ridiculous!" She laughed. Link was confused, embarrassed. Ridiculous?
"Link, it was all inevitable. It's obviously destiny. Nothing-" Midna said, "and I mean NOTHING could've stopped this. You heard the Zorgons. The Gods are wrong. You know it, I know it, and soon everyone else, will know it," she spat.
Link stared at her in surprise. Just several moments ago, he sensed her uncertainty and apprehension. You know, the stuff he blamed himself for? Now, she was being regular uproarious and fiery and insolent Midna. His best friend. He honestly never thought he'd call Midna his best friend. And he hoped Midna would call him her best friend too, even if that was unlikely for her to said it, despite it being possibly true.
Maybe she had a closer friend in the Twilight Realm, but considering her closed-off persona, he confidently doubted.
....
"Are you sure about that?" Link asked, still sounding troubled, even though Midna's words had a means of comforting and cheering him up. "I'm completely sure."
Midna... she had a way with her remarks. Now he felt he had his wits about him. Excitement pumping into his heart about the adventure, he grinned a bit. 
"Yeah... yeah, we should be fine," he said optimistically, smile wide.
Midna nearly regretted cheering him up. She rolled her eyes. "But if we die, then what?" Midna joked. Link froze, and his horse stopped in place. It felt like he'd been slapped. Then he shrugged, smiling again, horse trotting ahead. "We won't die. Have more faith in us, okay?"
This time she sighed AND rolled her eyes. "Ugh! Fine! But if it comes to me or you, you're going buddy! And don't expect me to come and save you. I'll sit back and relish in the fact I'm free!" Midna exclaimed. It may seem harsh, but Link merely smiled, used to the jokes, and Midna scowled at his strength... her weakness.
Her goddamned stupid weakness. She hated it. She hated him... Lies, lies, lies, on top of lies, with a little bit of bluffing for the cherry on top. She was expecting this dumb feeling to go away by now and was hoping it was just her excitement for a new adventure in Hyrule. She was wrong. Completely and utterly wrong. That wasn't what this was. Folding her arms, Midna stared ahead.
Jealousy was stupid. It just plain straight-up, wasn't for her. So the burning, aching, dying feeling she gets when Link reads over Zelda's letter again... what was that? Well, whatever it was, she ignored it.


© 2020 Vertigo Cat1111


Author's Note

Vertigo Cat1111
Another chapter! Hmmm... the Zorgons have a very familiar past. What is it with the Gods and forbidden love? Ugh, this isn't Warrior Cats! (As much as I love those books lol) Please review and tell me what you think! (:

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on September 29, 2020
Last Updated on September 29, 2020
Tags: Link. Midna. Zelda. Twilight Pri

Legend Of Twilight: Everlasting Dawn


Author

Vertigo Cat1111
Vertigo Cat1111

About
🐱💙My biggest writing inspirations are Lorde, Gabbie Hanna, and Phoebe Bridgers. If you like any of them feel free to talk to me about it! Never be afraid to go on tangents to talk abou.. more..

Writing