Chapter 31: Guilt Of War

Chapter 31: Guilt Of War

A Chapter by Vertigo Cat1111
"

The guilt of war gets to whoever is leading the war- when is too much too far? Who's lives will be lost against the Gods, due to what Link and Midna want?

"
They stepped into the Hybrid's Domain. This entire time, Link felt they were going into their execution. It wasn't- well, let's just say it wasn't a good feeling.

Link wasn't feeling sure if he should run or not, but Midna stared on, brave, determined and fierce. So Link tried to present the same on his face.
But honestly, he was unsure if Comet would be so king to them this time. It might be an irrational fear, but it was still a fear.

But he did not struggle against their iron grip presence. They didn't chain them up, but who knew what magic they had up their sleeve? Fins? Er, rocks.
Something.

But he'd heard stories of swords that could even shoot a laser out of the tip! How insane is that!?

Despite his paranoia, they kept walking. As they finally ended their long walk and ended up in the domain full of Hybrids, others looked at him, and most glared.
Link was confused, as was Midna, but she did not show it. The atmosphere had been so warm before. 

That's when he spotted Comet talking to some children it seemed, but he looked up when the feeling of the Domain changed. He spotted Link and Midna. 

"Hello, Link and Midna! It's been a bit since we've seen you!"
"WE'VE?" One person whispered in a confused voice.

Cautious mutterings and voices of others disapproval continued. "Er-," Midna began, distracted by everyone else gathering around. She turned back to Comet. "We need to speak to you."

He nodded silently. "Please, let's go into my throne room."

As he turned around and began leading them, Midna began worrying this was a trap. But a voice shouted out. "Hey! Who are these people?"
Comet, Link, and Midna whipped around. The King frowned. "These are our- MY guests," he put. 

"You know the rule! Hylians and others aren't allowed!" the same one shouted.

"I am the king now. You have to follow my words. They are the law." He frowned. "I don't understand-"
"If you're letting these people be your allies, you're disappointing your ancestors."

Comet shot daggers at the Gorzon, but turned back around. "Come, let's go."
"Hey! If they have something to say, they can say it to all of us!" the same one shouted. Several others yelled in agreement. Comet looked infuriated and turned to them. "This is MY kingdom and I-!"

Link looked at him. "No, it's okay. We got this."

Midna glanced at Link with the same determined expression. "Fine!" she shouted at them all, and they went silent. "You wanna know why we need to talk? Because you're possibly ALL in danger!" she shouted.

A few quietly gasped. "We're on your side. The Gods have come to destroy both Link here," she gestured, "and me. Just because Link brought me back from the Twilight Realm. The Gods say I don't belong here and we don't belong together! Does that sound familiar?" she queried. 

Some of the hybrids looked and each other and spoke in basically inaudible whispers. 

"I'm sure it does!" she exclaimed. "Well, we're all basically in danger, because of who we choose to love! But if we all unite, we can put this close-mindedness to an end!"

The talking began to grow louder until another one spoke up. "How do we know we can win?"
Link looked up to Midna, unsure of what she was gonna say. But bravely, she spoke up.

"Because with us- and you and you're fierceness, reuniting with the Zora's and Goron's and showing them what you're made of, we can do this!"
Some burst out cheering, others shouted in anger. "We're never reuniting with those selfish fools!" One cried.

"Enough!" Comet yelled. "We will do what I say- and I declare we must go with them! And if you disagree, you can leave, what was once your home!"
He shouted.

Link felt uncomfortable and was unsure what kind of mess he made. About three Gorzons and two Zorgons stood up. Glaring at their leader, one of them scowled. "You'll regret this, Comet. A long time ago, this place was much braver, humbler. Now, we're cowards, stooping to the level of our enemies-"

Fury seemed to burst out of Midna. "Be quiet!" she hissed. "If you don't have anything helpful to say, get out of here."
They stared at Midna, shooting daggers, but Link saw she stood, unshaken. After a moment, they looked back to Comet. "You'll regret this," one repeated, then left out of the exit.

Silence took hold, as Link looked over the kingdom, reeling from what had happened so fast just now. 

After a few long seconds, King Comet turned to Link, and grinned. "So, Link, Midna... Is this quite good enough to take the Gods down, pull them from the sky?" he asked in confidence.
Link looked up at him, on the rock he stood. "Quite."

Midna turned back to the Hybrids. "I, Link, on behalf of saving you and you're home and us, ask for your aid to burn the Gods down!"

Pride bursted in Link's chest as they burst out cheering loudly once again. They all bellowed, some in excitement, and Link guessed some in confusion, anxiety maybe. But Link and Midna didn't pay attention to the negative energy they longed to swarm them with.

"Let's go!" Comet called. "Ready the supplies!"

Link nodded to him as Midna began to explain once again where Kakariko Village lay. He passed through some hybrids trying to make his way to Midna. He ignored some angry looks, coming from two or three of them. He climbed the rock. 

They began to spread, and as the King hopped off the rock, he could hear Midna's voice over the loud, curious chattering. "And THAT-" she said smugly, "is how you win a war."

-----

Giant tarantulas jumped at Link, enclosing around his personal space. Link was unsure of his next move, mind utterly blurry. "Uh-" he muttered. "Link, c'mon!" Midna cried, fighting some bats fluttering around in a tree. "I don't know what to do!" he shouted. 

"YOU FIGHT WITH YOUR SWORD!"
"Yeah, but-"

Link suddenly was thrown upwards in a jerky motion, and he realized Midna had reached him with the Clawshot. "How is it you can't fight more so after gathering more experience than before?" she chuckled. 

Fiddling around, she opened a bag as the spiders jumped at them, and dropped it. It exploded, and the duo winced as it did. But luckily, as Midna had planned, they were blown back, and they're legs curled up and then died.

"There," Midna sighed, satisfied with her hands on her hips. "That wasn't so hard, was it?"
Link stared at her, unoffended, but mind heavy. "What were you thinking about that's so much more important then your own death?" she giggled and teased.

Link winced. "Uh... Midna, if I'm being honest, I'm worried- w-well," he stuttered, eyes looking to the floor as Midna stared at him, searching.
"What if we're- I'm- sending these people to their death?"

Midna stared at him for several long seconds, and he was suddenly worried he'd stressed her out. But she spoke up, her energy still bubbling as always.
"Well, Link!" she smiled. "You know what's going on, don't you?" She ran a hand through her orange hair.

She hovered downwards, eye-level to him. "This isn't just about us, anymore. I mean, you know, in my mind it's all about us," she blushed, "but this is about the safety of Hyrule and Stormsky now. If it wasn't for us, Zelda wouldn't be ruler any more, and the Gods would figure out a way to destroy the Hybrids. And do you remember how you told me the Goddesses' saved you?" she left that for him to think about. 

"There's a total of four of them- and the way we're gathering people, that's slowly becoming nothing. If we want to know who wins- we have to fight," she smiled at him. "Don't worry so much."

He looked at her, intent on voicing another worry, but he couldn't think of one she didn't soothe.

---
They continued traveling and had both decreed they'd be going around to talk to the people of Ordon Village. Link wasn't quite excited to see Ilia again.
'Don't be selfish,' he thought to himself. 'They're also in danger.' 

'She's still my best friend. And I love her dearly, but I can only keep going on and doing what I love. Maybe... maybe she won't be upset. But what if she's still hurting? I broke her heart...' he thought as the beast form of him looked around in this part of Stormsky he did not recognize.

That brought pain to his heart. What if he also hurt the Ordonians? he had to have. At least a little. He shook his head. He needed to quit thinking like this! They're okay without him! He'd bring them into Kakariko Village, into the sanctuary. He stopped short of his annoying thoughts.

He just knew he'd make sure they were all protected. He was not giving up their lives- he could never do that.

But he was beginning to understand, as Midna explained- Hyrule and Stormsky were coming first.  He would ALWAYS protect his loved ones. It was just that there were millions of other innocent lives he had to protect too.

'We have to keep going for Stormsky, for Hyrule...  But I am not giving up, Midna. I'm not. I'll defend with my sword and shield wherever we are.  I love you so much- and we'll vanquish this evil.'

They continued as both Link and Midna trudged through the guilt of war.


© 2020 Vertigo Cat1111


Author's Note

Vertigo Cat1111
Awww, man, they're feeling GUILTY. All rights belong to Nintendo, besides my own characters!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

16 Views
Added on October 19, 2020
Last Updated on October 19, 2020
Tags: Link. Midna. Zelda. War. Twiligh

Legend Of Twilight: Everlasting Dawn


Author

Vertigo Cat1111
Vertigo Cat1111

About
🐱💙My biggest writing inspirations are Lorde, Gabbie Hanna, and Phoebe Bridgers. If you like any of them feel free to talk to me about it! Never be afraid to go on tangents to talk abou.. more..

Writing