Chapter 16: Coming Down

Chapter 16: Coming Down

A Chapter by Vertigo Cat1111
"

Getting closer and closer to the mountain, it's apparent this land is very old. So apparent in fact, it leads to life or death.

"
After Link and Midna had exited the forest, they spent an hour talking, and trading stories, receiving laughs and shouts. Though they were both a bit fatigued, Midna insisted they take a nap. And though last time Midna had urged they kept going, this time she'd told him to nap. Even if she wanted to go so bad. As Link had fallen asleep, Midna stared at him, believing his shyness was due to his embarrassment, still feeling as if it was his fault. Link let her believe so, but somehow, he was almost past the guilt. The feeling that felt as though it was attacking him was... something new.

By the time they'd found a nice place to nap, and they had pried themselves away from such interesting stories, such as, what happened if you fell off the base of the Twilight Realm, or why Coro didn't appreciate criticism to his soup. That was a whole other story when Midna had been gone, and Link thought he'd get out and about. He tried to help Coro with his rancid soup, but it just upset the man. That, and Link couldn't stop staring at the entrance of Hyrule... maybe that was why he came to visit the big-haired man all along.

--------
Twilight had dawned, and Link realized he'd slept till the evening time, but strangely enough, he felt more energetic than ever. Beautiful and almost eerie colors danced across the sky. Link sat up, looking to the Mountain of Storms, and he felt strength gathering within his very soul. 

He smiled to himself, as he stared at the intimidating mountain. With an excited, anxious and violent aspiration he looked across the gray, upcoming rocky range. He was very much appreciating the beauty of this place, at this moment. Everything somehow felt settled... calm. He watched the reflection of the world play amongst the sky, against every mountain, every river, every star, and every storm. He stared at Midna now. Her beauty took his breath away. Everything good in a person was in her... Link found he couldn't tear his eyes away.

 Everything on her was beautiful. Her dimples, skin, gently shut eyes, and silky orange hair... She was prettier then any sky there could be. 
He happily sighed, and some sort of feeling gripped his heart, filling it up.

But the Twilight Sword still needs to be found, he reminded himself.

Link couldn't help a grin as he gathered up. He collected his sword and shield that'd been sprawled out and anything else that had spilled out of his satchels. Before waking Midna, he looked at the view one more time. The world was so utterly big, too hard to explain if you cannot see what he was seeing. And what he was feeling. There were so many places he'd yet to venture, and he couldn't explore this breathtaking place. It'd probably be like that wherever the two went for now.

He turned to wake up his best friend. "Maybe... we can come see it again. One day."

------

The morning was reigning now, when Link and Midna had climbed a hill, to see a good view of Stormsky once again. The sight brought a smile to his face. There was a very long and large bridge, and what they would be traveling on soon, would be field. But after the bridge, was a canyon, and when Link raised his face up, his eyes widened, his heart jumped, and he almost fell backward. 

The Mountain Of Storms was close... very close. He hadn't realized that when they'd been traveling, how much distance they'd crossed and covered. "Oh, wow..."

"Oh..." Midna said, eyes wide. Since climbing the hill, they hadn't realized, truly how far they'd gone. The thought brought a smile to his face. He began to hurry down the hill, and Midna was about to follow him, however, frowned, when he began to roll down, and she spotted his battered face and green-stained clothes.

"Yes, Link. My father must wish to return when he sees who my companion is," she said, words absolutely dripping in sarcasm.
Link merely looked up at her and smiled. She looked away, but went down the hill, and quickly hurried to his side. 

She made an effort not to run all the way to the mountain. "Here we come, Link!" Midna said excitedly. "But first of all is that bridge... that seems to be the quickest path to the sword..."

As Link nodded, Midna suddenly felt doubtful. Was she wrong about it being up there? It felt like it was to her... It just had to be. Maybe she was gambling, but she felt luck was on her side, even if doubt was trying to sodden her mind. She sighed, glancing at Link. She quickly caught the sympathy and whatever else stupid emotion showing in her eyes. She closed her ruby orbs, shook her head and turned away, trying to rip herself free of these dumb emotions that had been raging within her. 

She turned her back on Link. "Not that this has been any fun. It still appalls me how you've become so obsessed with me, you 'rescued' me from my life as a princess... A life of luxury..." she said, getting in one last attempt to shake these emotions away with any anger she had left. 

Her voice trailed off, and though her deepest thoughts were unheard to her companion, Link could sense a growing feeling of guilt and lies from her, as if she was... hiding something...

"How does always getting what you want supposed to teach you anything...?" she asked.

Clearing her throat, she partially turned back to Link, convinced her shenanigans were not working very well, but she still did not want to fully give in. She didn't look him in the eye, as they mostly stood side by side, and she knew had failed in designating fictitious emotions. She knew her mood had swung rather quickly, but she honestly couldn't help it.

"But I guess I shouldn't judge your emotions, huh? You didn't choose them, after all... You know I'd never wish harm on you or anything you hold dear, Link."

That meant Ilia too... 

That filthy, bloodsucking leech, Midna felt her mind seeth with rage. Her twisted mind. Midna couldn't help but hate her, LOATHE her. How was Link such good friends with that little bit- Leech... Midna found Ilia cutesy, patronizing, and annoying all at the same time... but then she remembered something. Link had left Ordon- left Ilia- to find her. Even when it seemed impossible.

Geez, maybe she should just give in already- 

Midna quickly shook her head. She was thinking to deep into everything. (But why? A voice asked. Why now?) She shook it off and went on speaking.

"No, as long as we get our hands on that sword," she turned to him, unsure, "we'll be fine."
Link smiled at her then. She looked at him. and it suddenly felt like they understood what they were feeling these emotions. And though Midna had never fully said it in her brain, her inquiry's had been answered.

This... is what all of this was. Wasn't it? They were best friends, making their way through the Light World, and they both knew her selfish bravado, wasn't just for- herself anymore. Even if she resented this sentimentality, there was no way to stop it... Yet she still denied it. And although she still refused it, Link saw it in her at that moment... Around them. 

Something new in a strange, amicable way. A spark of allegiance. Something strong.

They were beginning to like one another more then they realized, or had been expected. In the very beginning, they had both thought they'd always despise one another. Oh, how they were very, very wrong. Midna had taken on a new perspective, and Link, a new attitude. They were overall, better, happier people now, and it was because of each other. Without Midna, Link would have never known how to leave for an adventure of his own, and without Link, Midna's heart would've never warmed back up to the queenly one she had had. They would never be what they used to be. At first, they were unsure of it... but now... they never wanted to be who they had been again.

A gullible, blind to the entire world around him, farmboy.

A cruel, hurt and selfish princess.

It would never be the same since they first met.

For, they have never been any less than partners. They've always been more than partners. And soon, it'd be even more. Link's mind had reached a slight understanding of these emotions, and while Midna had too, she was still desperately trying to push it away. But her throes of resistance were getting ever so weaker. Facing each other now, it was time to take another step forward. Midna's gaze lowered, and dull, familiar pain in her chest that been playing like a drum ever so recently ringed. It was a hidden pain, but she looked at Link and smiled. He knew she hadn't meant anything she had said, and Midna knew that too. It was too far gone. He was holding out the world to her, and she, to him.

They accepted it and looked onward at the bridge, and the nearby mountain. The largest thing any of them had ever seen.
They were devoted to the same thing. They both craved the destruction of the Gods, and to keep one another safe.

And so, forward they went.

-------------

As per as they should've, Wolf Link and Imp Midna went towards the bridge and followed the path, with flattened grass by probably generations and generations of creatures and people. It was rather beautiful. Westward they went, meeting only a Deku Baba on the way, and that's when they both freely pondered to each other, why exactly the creatures had come back. They seemed altogether brighter than usual, and that's when they concluded together, the Gods had created them, thus the lightness aura around them, and the idea that Link and Midna had created them, then feeling guilty, cue Midna leaving again... forever. 

But what if it was neither? If none of them was the problem, then...?

Link approached the humongous bridge, and his paw came upon the stone. He looked upwards, at the arched path. It was just like the Mountain of Storms. Gigantic. It was definitely bigger than the Hylian Bridge. It seemed to have withstood generations and generations.

He had a bad feeling, somehow. It looked much too vulnerable. It was most definitely past it's prime. He cleared his throat and turned into a human. Midna leaped off of his back and floated forward. She remained an imp, and Link thought it was a rather good idea because they wouldn't weigh down so much on the bridge.

In his own anxious thoughts and mind, he nearly tripped, and he wobbled a bit. He caught himself, and luckily Midna was ahead of him, so she didn't view his discomposure. There was silence, as they went forth, and he began to enjoy the view, trying not to focus on the old rickety-bridge.

He listened to Midna humming, and he stared at the tall mountains. Under them seemed to be a large gorge. 

He could hear water flowing, and he kept on staring at the patch of trees. He found himself pretending he was used to and wasn't intimidated by the mountains, but he panicky looked up at the silhouette of all the mountains, and it still made his heart drop. He had to tilt his head an extreme amount to even see the very tip of it.

It was so hard to explain how freaky it was, how daunting it was. Link sighed, looking across the chasm and found they still had ways to go. But he found himself smiling. How very lucky was he? 

There was no way that he could traverse these mountain paths alone. Only with Midna. And that made him realize, she was the most important person and thing to him. It could've been seen as cruel to others, but somehow Midna was more important then Ordon, Hyrule-

*Crack* 

Link's ears perked up. What was that? He turned to Midna, but she was floating ahead like a natural. She landed on the bridge, tiny feet tiptoeing, and Link felt his mouth turn to a small, unintentional smile. 

Her head wobbled and bobbled a bit, and he tilted his head. He admired her walking as an imp. He rarely ever saw it. Most of the time, she hid in his shadow or hovered above him, or even just stood. This was abnormally captivating and enchanting.

"Look, Link." 
Link turned his attention away and looked at what she was admiring. She was leaning over the edge a bit, and he caught his breath. "Obviously," she began, "It's really old." She bent over the edge a bit more, and nervously, Link hurried over to her. "Hmm... that's a long way down, Link," she said, thick eyebrows raised. "Goddesses, that's a gigantic lake."


*Crack* 

This time they both heard it, and they whipped their head towards the sound, at the beginning of the bridge, and they looked to the floor of it. What looked like a crack in the bridge, began to grow. It was spreading towards them, and they felt the bridge beginning to wobble and fall apart beneath them.

Link and Midna glanced at each other, eyes wide frowning. Panicking, they ran for it. Link beat his boots into the ground, running as fast as they could carry him, and Midna floated ahead. 

But thanks to how much they'd traveled, he found his legs felt painfully sore when he ran. He breathed heavily, as Midna zoomed ahead of him, having an obvious advantage. Link kept speeding, and nearly tripped, his legs already seeming to give out on him. But he had an idea.

But they only made it so far, that he realized he may be no match for how fast it was falling apart and how huge the bridge was. Midna turned to see if Link was still following, as she hovered. It was then that Midna realized what Link was trying to do. 

He barely reached Midna, he pushed her, bumping her far and forward. He used all his might, and he could feel the bridge giving way under him. Midna came crashing down on the end of the bridge. Gasping, she stared at him.

Link did not fancy dying, but he most certainly not fancy Midna dying. In his panic, he did not rely on saving his own life, rather then Midnas. Even if there was the teeniest chance they'd both survive, she was much more important. This was her only chance at continuation, at finding her beloved father's sword. She reached out for him, as the bridge gave way, and the hero fell. 

"ARE YOU CRAZY!?" Midna screamed. "LINK!"


© 2020 Vertigo Cat1111


Author's Note

Vertigo Cat1111
Uhhhh oooooh... I hope Link's okaaaaay. Thanks for reading, all rights belong to Nintendo, and please review!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

25 Views
Added on October 3, 2020
Last Updated on October 3, 2020
Tags: Link. Midna. Zelda. Twilight Pri

Legend Of Twilight: Everlasting Dawn


Author

Vertigo Cat1111
Vertigo Cat1111

About
🐱💙My biggest writing inspirations are Lorde, Gabbie Hanna, and Phoebe Bridgers. If you like any of them feel free to talk to me about it! Never be afraid to go on tangents to talk abou.. more..

Writing