Chapter 35: The Sanctuary

Chapter 35: The Sanctuary

A Chapter by Vertigo Cat1111
"

With their new allies, Link and Midna return to Kakariko Village, only to have to leave, once again.

"
Link and Midna stared, their eyes as wide as possible.

In Kakariko Village walked Gorons, Gorzons, Zorgons, Yetis, humans- and Twilits.
"Uh-" Midna stuttered. "This is-" "Great?" Link said, unsure how to finish her sentence. "Y-yeah?"

They weren't quite sure why they were so nervous- the number of people they had was great... 

But how exactly was Renado holding this fort up?
Link looked past the yetis, and his eyes searched for Renado. 

When he spotted him shuffling past a Goron, Link ran over. "Renado!" he called. The shaman looked to Link, and smiled widely. "Hello, Link!" he greeted, bowing down. Link waved gently, then quickly turned his head to see what Midna was doing. She was smiling at Uli's baby and getting the children and their parents back together.

He smiled gently, even though she wasn't looking at him and turned back. "Hi," he greeted again. "Uh... how's everything- going?"
Renado tilted his head. "Just fine, if not a bit crowded. Why?"

Link shrugged, suddenly nervous, that he was being stupid- paranoid. "I just- no one's argued?" he whispered, for comfort. The man shook his head. "The Gorzons and Gorons have been getting on rather well, it seems- but at first they seemed to be tense... but now, it's almost like their ancestors never warred."

Link was shocked at this. "R-really?" They're not fighting? At all?" he chuckled relieved. Renado shook his head. "Unless they're killing each other every time I turn my back," he joked. Link chuckled along with this. "Um, but have you seen-" he began realizing something extra important.

"Link!" A familiar voice called. The Hylian whipped around and saw Ashei excitedly running towards him, dragging someone with her.

It was her father.

When she came close enough to him, he could see pure excitement, love, happiness in her eyes. She was ever so thankful.
"Oh my Goddesses', Link! How'd you find 'im?"
Link laughed loudly. "He was looking for you!" he exclaimed. "You didn't believe it, yeah?" she couldn't stop smiling and laughing. Link shook his head grinning. "I was worried, I'll admit."

Ashei's father bellowed in deep laughter. "Thought I was a con-artist, huh?" he nudged Link. Ashei smiled at Link, and he was taken aback. "Thank you, Link..." she whispered, then she and her father walked off chattering. Pride swelled his heart, and someone suddenly picked him up, not even giving him a second to comprehend everything that was happening. "I-!" 

Of course, who else was it besides Harold? 

"WOOOaOh! Harold!" Link yelled. "YOU HELPED ME FIND MY PEOPLE!" The yeti cried and shouted happily. "I'M- SO- HAPPY- FOR- YOU!" Link yelled. "BUT I'M GETTING DIZZY!"

"Oops, sorry," Harold said awkwardly, dropping Link. "Didn't mean ta'- but look at all the yetis! And they loved me!"
Link nodded patiently with the child-like monster. "I'm sure they did Harold."

Link looked around almost overwhelmed with all the people to talk to and saw everyone- besides one person. "Hey," Link turned to Renado. "Where's Barnes?"
"Oh, yeah," Renado began. "He thought it'd be most helpful if he fixed his bomb shack.

 For a reason we're unsure of, it exploded once... Suppose it was just because it was a bomb shack... But he's fixing now, but I'd be careful greeting him, as it still makes him rather angry."

Link felt his face turning red. He tried to shake it off, and make it not so visible- but deep down he was laughing his head off. He remembered when he and Midna blew that old thing up- 'that's how the cookie crumbles' Midna put it.

Link felt like visiting an old friend, and getting some peace and quiet in the mountains, and gestured Midna over. 

Midna glanced at him, holding Uli's baby. She handed the baby back to Uli, and walked over to Link. "Yeah, Link?" she smiled gently, with a dazed look in her ruby red eyes. Link subtly smirked. She hated kids, huh? Maybe once the war was over...

"Uh," Link shook his head. "You wanna go check on Barnes, and relax up there and just- t-talk?" Link asked, still feeling nervous and shy looking her directly in the face. She nodded, simply smiling.

As they made their way up the dusty trail of the mountain, as Renado said, Link spotted Barnes.
"Hey Barnes!" Link waved, as he hammered his half-built building. "Hey, how's it going?"

Midna burst out laughing after Barnes spoke. "HA! Oh, you're building back that old thing?" she chuckled. Before Link could act, she giggled again, turning to Link joyfully. "Remember we blew the old one up, Link? When we had to get those bugs-"

Midna trailed off as Link's eyes grew wide and Barnes slowly stopped hammering and turned to them, his face set in a furious scowl.

"WHAT!?" He stomped over angrily. "BOY, I'M REALLY 'BOUT TO-!" He began to yell, but someone behind the flinching Link and Midna cut Barnes off. "Hello, Link and Midna."

Recognizing the soft voice, they whipped around to find Zelda standing there, hair blowing in the wind. "Zelda!" they pulled her into a hug, and the princess laughed. 
"You've brought so much here- did so well... I'm so proud of you."
Link squeezed her tightly. "We missed you, Princess..."

Zelda hugged him back. "Link, please," she begged, "just call me Zelda," the brunette chuckled. 

For some reason, she always gave off the warmth of a mother... it made his heart flip, though not in the same way Midna made his entire self jump. As Zelda hugged them, she looked across the city, and she felt safe, surrounded by all of these people who respected them and were willing to protect them- it was entirely crowded.

But she sighed. She did not like to send Midna and Link out once again, but it was time soon -the next day actually- to go get the Zoras. She hoped and prayed that they would get along with the Hybrids and Gorons.

"Are you ready for tomorrow?" Zelda asked, knowing they were more than exhausted- but it was her duty. She tried to ease into it.
They pulled away from the hug.

"Of course," Midna said honestly, and Link nodded. "We'll always be ready."
"You're making everyone proud if I do say, Princess and Hero," she smiled. Midna's face turned red along with Link's. "Zelda, please," Midna began, putting her blue hands up. "I know-" Zelda winked. "I'm teasing."

Midna seemed relieved and chuckled.

"Oh, okay... thank goodness," Midna smiled, wiping pretend sweat from her forehead.

"Hey! I'm not done talking to you, you-!" Barnes began shouting again. Gently, but threateningly, both Zelda and Midna raised a questioning eyebrow at Barnes.
His face turned pink, and he started to laugh nervously and backed off. "Hehe... alright, guys, I get it..." and with that, he kept hammering away.

Giggling under their breath, they turned back to each other. Zelda grinned, laughing quietly, with her delicate gloved fingers covering her mouth.
After several seconds, they calmed down, but Link still smiled gently at their laughs. Link's heart jumped as Zelda suddenly frowned, and her demeanor got much more serious. Midna seemed to notice this as well, as her smile dropped.

Her voice had broken free of humor and lowered to a more serious tone. 

She looked to them, worry in her piercing blue eyes. The sudden and quick mood change gave him backlash, left him shaken up.
"Okay- but listen..." She took a deep breath. "I feel- something is going to happen soon... Last night I dreamt of... dark things. I think you may be wanted... especially considering the uprising against me- and whatever the Gods told them... is law. They will listen. Even more so since they've wanted their own power."

"Wanted?" Link raised an eyebrow. "As in..., they're hunting us?" 
Zelda nodded solemnly. "I... I am guessing so."

Midna smirked and tilted their head at them as Link's heart began to pound. "You don't have to be so worried!" she said. 
"Do you think we can't fight off any foul beast that comes our way?" she giggled. Link's heart calmed for a second, Midna's attitude and sense of being calmed him, and he felt a little more ready, confident.

 But an issue that leaped into his intellect then bothered him... He hoped Midna wasn't once again trying to hide her worry and anxiety with humor, and comforting others.

"Midna..." Zelda began, and Link was surprised that she sounded a bit frustrated. She began, but stumbled off, into another question. "Midna, you need to be careful, with Link. We cannot have either of you getting hurt. Be cautious, won't you?" the princess asked.

Link felt odd at the fierce tension that suddenly surrounded them.
Midna looked almost thoughtful as she stared at Zelda, and neither the Hero of Twilight nor the princess was sure of the response they'd get.

But they waited.

"Okay, I'll try," Midna simply said, a familiar smile cracking at her lips. She almost giggled.

Zelda opened her mouth to say more, but then shut it once again, and it seemed she distrustfully sanctioned it. "Well... time has quickly passed," she said, making eye contact with neither of them. "I suppose you're hungry?" she said rather quietly.

"Lunch should be finished." With that, the princess strode off. 
"Please let me know later, who you plan to bring to Zora's Domain."

---

'Shadow and light are two sides of the same coin'

They are bound to be together, forever.

Ever since they met, ever since they saw them together... A powerful bond is drawn by the hands of the Goddesses'. They never needed to say anything, never needed to speak a word. There love is just there; light and dark, together. We may need darkness, but what is it without the light to shine upon it?

Zelda tried to convince herself she doesn't care, and sometimes it works- but then when she comes around them, she can feel that fierce bond- stronger than she and Link ever had... or maybe that she could ever have. With anyone. But no, she mustn't think like that... Right?

But the gossiping of villagers in Castle Town that she used to hear, ached. They did not know... any of it. They do not recognize the Hero and the Princess with the mask. They were full of naivety.

They even thought Link was joyous to be in her presence- maybe he was? Who knows? 

But the people surrounding them knew better. They looked at them with admiration, hearts full. They don't need to show anyone how much they loved,

Zelda is frightened because she had plans for them- she knew what she wanted the future to hold and maybe she should have never planned it- because things never go as planned. But she loved him so much she couldn't help it, even if she knew this.

She panics and wants to tell someone- anyone. This couldn't be real because she thought she had him in the palm of her hand- she should've guessed.

This is almost ruining her every day when she sees them. 

Zelda just wished she could have Link; he's too sweet. His heart is in exactly the right spot. She wants to reach out, hold him. She's- desperate even. But he's oblivious and too far from her, blue piercing eyes set on sharp ruby red ones.

She stood alone.
Faking.

She never wanted to look either of them in the eyes ever again. It hurts her- destroys her soul to even gaze at either of them... any of them.
Zelda hates that Link and Midna are perfect together. She wants to scream- but that wouldn't be very ladylike of her, would it? 
She's never been able to give him anything he loves. It was a shattered longing.

Even when he smiles at her- well, that's only worse, and she knows that, feels it. And it's not the same smile he shoots at the Twilight Princess. Not at all... it never ever could be, for he did not harness that sort of happiness when he looks at the Princess of Hyrule, rather than HIS own princess. Maybe she's in the way... being too obvious.

Her parents always told her, that her own needs and wants weren't nearly as important as her citizen's needs and wants.
She always agreed.

They are meant to be together- and Zelda knew she was never, ever part of the equation.
Why'd she have to feel this way? Why couldn't she just be perfectly fine?

Or- Why couldn't Link just be HERS?

----

Link and Midna had set off early the next morning, wishing to grab the Zora's as quick as possible, feeling the tension in the air rising. And they were gone by the time the children had awoken. Link was still trying to get used to having absolutely everyone he knew- and even strangers- together. They bade farewell to those who stayed behind. Link, Midna, Rusl, Shad, and Telma all went. They rode across the rickety-roads of northern Hyrule's gray rocks.

Link hung his head and sighed in relief that after this- just maybe they could beat the Gods?
But also, who were they kidding? Link was trying to be as forward-looking as he could be about warring with some Gods... but it was a hard deal.

... Albeit, he had Midna. And she was worth anything... anything that could come his way.

Giving Link and Midna a break, Telma guided Epona up and along the mountains with Rusl. As Link looked out the windows and around, he could see the beautiful view, and the horses kept pace. While Link and Midna were trying to relax, Shad continued to ask the pair about their adventure in the City in the Sky.

"And what did the dragon look like?" The inquisitive and brainy man asked. "Like a dragon," Midna responded sassily. "Hmm... curious," the man began putting the quill he was writing with to his lips. "I figured it'd be somewhat different... even looking like an Ooccoo itself!" he exclaimed.

His grey eyes stared off. "But I suppose that's a bit nonsensical, correct?" the keen man chuckled, pointing his pen out.
Neither of them said anything, but Link merely nodded. 

"And what of the Ooccoo's? Do they remain safe and protected? Home-free?" he chuckled again.

"Oh," Link was suddenly interested. Link began fiddling with his boot, adjusting it. "I suppose... so. It would be great to visit them again." Link looked at Shad, a telling sparkle in his eyes. "That would be great for you to seem them- true?"

Shad's face switched at those words, and Link place a hand on his shoulder as if to get him prepared for what he was going to say next. Here was smart Shad- the man who had always wanted to visit the Ooccoos- and now he had a chance, a reason. Link was not sure whether to just tell him, or to let him figure it out himself.

Confusion seemed to fill the redhead's eyes. "Of course, it would be- wonderful. More than that. It's been a dream..."

Link tried to figure out how to get him to see his plan, and could only think of one way to see his eyes light up with shock. "Remember how we got there?" Asked Link and Shad nodded. "O-of course. The way I heard it, you got there with a clawshot and the cannon in Lanaryu. You didn't need anything else-" he got cut off when the Hylian pulled something out of his pocket and handed the man his clawshots.

His grey eyes widened and shock. "Borrow them," Link began. "Go get the Ooccoos, and then come back," he said gently.
Shad looked shocked and even confused. But he understood what Link was encouraging now. Soon it would they would not be just an army- they'd have a war army behind them. It'd been this way for a while, but Link knew, even more, giving a stronger hope.

Shad grinned wildly at Link. "Until you get back, take them and keep them safe." Link told him. Midna was staring at her other half like he was insane, but she said nothing. 

"Th-thank you, Link!" he exclaimed, stuttering in shock.

Link looked back out the window and smiled gently as Shad scribbled furiously in his notebook. Link's sense of pride and hope at that moment- was stronger.

---
Maybe they were nearing the end of their journey. Link and Midna looked at each other as the skies were a dark, stormy gray. Maybe soon they'd be fighting the Gods on foot. "We're getting so close..." Midna muttered.
Link nodded. "I know." 

The last lap of this- would decide everything. It wasn't just Hyrule now- it was the world they were fighting for... and each other.
Shad was currently walking beside Rusl and Telma chatting about his exciting new adventure he was ready to have.

"Well- what's after this?" Midna asked, nervous, but too stubborn to show it. She swallowed, and her throat felt closed up. "Maybe we should see for ourselves..." Link spoke lowly.

Midna scoffed. "I know, Link... But do we confront them? Why haven't they confronted us? Link, are we ready?" she asked, and for a second, he could hear the pure anxiety in her voice. Her tone seemed angry, but he heard the melody of fear. He tried to relax his shoulders, but it felt almost impossible. Birds flew past their carriage. They blew a gust of cold, air and he shivered. But there was something more sinister in the air than a winter chill.

As they rode northward, they sat close together and admired the beauty of the Rockies, and the stormy sky. The great scale of the world he lived in, still amazed him and he suddenly felt utterly tiny. The gray trench closed in until they were in the northern field, and the land was flat again.

Suddenly, the carriage stopped abruptly and something fell on the floor, shaking the ground.
He heard Telma yelp and Rusl gasp. "Hey, what's going on?" Midna asked, hurrying out of the carriage, Link right behind her.

Link gasped, seeing the distinct ogre on his boar- that was King Bulbin. Quickly he ripped out his sword and went to charge at the monster- fury making his heart pound. "WAIT!" The monster cried in a gruff voice. Midna stared wide-eyed, and it seemed to surprise her so much, she fell backward. "Huh?" she babbled.

"I- no want to fight..." he said, climbing off his oversized pig, holding his beefy arms up.

Link was utterly confused. "W-what?" he stuttered. He suddenly, he remembered when he was going to fight Ganondorf, and he fought King Bulbin, who gave up after a beating and gave Link an extra key. 'Enough' he had said. 'I follow the strongest side! That is all I have ever known.'

He almost laughed, remembering Midna's reaction. 'Link... He... He spoke.'

Link ended up tilting his head. "What...?" Link mumbled again. "I long to join you. I know what is happening around these places... and as I said, you are the strongest side. Please, trust me."

The green-clad hero was absolutely taken aback. The words he'd said were to please, trust him... How could he? He'd caused so much evil in this world. But Link couldn't help but have a good feeling about the now silly King. "I have an entire army... you know, you fought 'em," he laughed awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck. Link opened his mouth, confused. "Er- yes?" Link responded, wondering if he was bounding them to doom.

"Wahoo!" The beast yelled, his voice gurgly and deep. "I-I'll be in the VILLAGE!" he cried and rode off. Link turned to Midna, eyebrows high. "Huh?" she muttered. "What'd you do that for?"

Swallowing in nervousness, Link realized he'd have to ask the young prince to join them, in saving their world. Link's mind was speaking about to blame himself again, but he grabbed it in his grasp and stopped it. It was NOT his fault- and anyway, nothing could be undone. It was time for the world to begin again. Maybe they could find better days soon...

"Well, then." Midna began. "We're rather close. Let's make this quick- it's freezing up here!" Midna shivered. Link looked to her and raised an eyebrow. "Thought you liked the cold?" he said quickly. Midna shrugged. "I suppose it depends."

Link was confused, unsure what she meant, but let it slide. But as she mentioned the cold and winced, he, himself felt the bitter sting of the rising cold.
There was a silent moment when they could hear Telma speaking.
"Almost there, Rusl, honey. What do you suppose everyone's doing back in the Village? Pretty packed, eh?" she said, then added a chuckle from deep in her chest, and Rusl and Shad laughed along with her, and this calmed the anxiety in Link, the same feeling in Midna.

They felt themselves climbing up the hill and the rain began dripping a bit. The chill had begun to reach their bones, threateningly, and they scooted closer together, and Midna laid her hand on Link's shoulder. The touch made his entire body feel as if it was asleep, and excitement swarmed in his chest and stomach.  But he stayed silent.

The carriage stopped slowly as the silence continued, and Telma then spoke up. "We're here." And they could almost see her warm smile.

They hopped out of the carriage, and Midna stretched widely and yawned. In the whirlwind of stress, Link smiled gently at her. Always being herself...

--
They headed up the hill as Zora's stared curiously, but some smiled and waved with a welcoming grin on his face.
Link didn't want any of them to die.
But if they didn't do this- all of them would. In the wrath and anger of the Gods. It was time to see Prince Ralis. 

Midna looked up at the entrance to the room Ralis and his guards would be.
"Let's hope," Telma mumbled, feeling the air of intimidation they were trying to ignore. They stepped in, and the Prince immediately stood up, and Link stared in shock, along with the others.

Ralis already looked plenty older. Maybe it was the way he looked like he was stronger, and had more muscle on his body. He'd grown in height, but just barely enough to notice. He held the staff himself. "Link? Is that you?" He grinned. Then he glanced at Telma. "Telma!" he exclaimed loudly.

The guards look shocked but rushed over when Ralis rushed over and pulled Telma and the green-clad hero into a hug. "Telma! Link!" he yelled again, holding them ever so tightly. "I missed you guys!"

The Zora's did nothing but stared at the reunion, some looking ready to fight if it came down to the people their Prince were hugging, were mere imposters.
"What are you doing here?" he asked, pulling away. Getting close enough to see his face, Link saw he was growing the smallest, tiniest beard. He drew his eyes away from it and sighed. "It's nothing good, Prince."

Link knew he would deny the name, but the new, big atmosphere he was giving off, it felt odd to refer to him as the little boy he once knew. It almost made his heartache. He knew that Zora's got to their adolescent adulthood a bit fast once they hit double digits, and it was all quick from there, then they stayed that age for a very long time, but it was all rather strange.

As he figured, Ralis shook his head, but his eyebrows knitted together in concern. "Please, call me just Ralis. We're all friends. Before I found out what's going on, may I ask you're names?" he began, looking to Midna, Shad, and Rusl. Midna reached a handout. "I'm Midna. Twilight Princess." 
The boy's eyes widened. "Pl-pleasure to meet you..." he stuttered. He shook her soft, pale blue hand. "Do- do you prefer being called Midna?"
Midna chuckled and nodded. "Very much." 

"And I'm Shad!" Shad said, taking Ralis's hand in his own, shaking it vigorously, seeming excited to be talking to a different species.
Ralis smiled, he looked to Rusl. "My name's Rusl," and he took his rugged hand, and shook the Prince's.
"Nice to meet you all..." the Zora smiled weakly, but it did not stay for long at all. "What's... what's the trouble?"

Link sighed. "Listen... It's- a mess. You don't know this, but Midna was with me through my journey, just not visible. It's hard to explain... but at the end of the fight with Ganondorf, Midna had to go back her, to the Twilight Realm, but broke the Mirror so no one could hurt Hyrule again," the former farm-boy said, as Ralis nodded. 

But there was no sound of bitterness in his voice, no anger towards Midna. He was just telling the story.

"But, I ended fixing the way back, somehow. And the Gods- well, they didn't like this," Link said, his throat closing up in fear and anxiety, scared Ralis would tell them they were insane. "And now- if we don't send Midna back and break the Mirror, once again, they said they'll destroy Hyrule. And everything beyond."

Ralis's eyes were wide. "Why? Why so destructive?" he scoffed. Link shrugged. "I- I don't know." He suddenly wanted to see it from an outside view. "Are we in the wrong, Ralis?" he asked desperately, reaching for a positive answer, any confirmation that he wasn't a selfish fool.

"In the wrong?" Ralis repeated in shock. "No! I just don't understand... how..." he stared at the floor for several seconds as the other Zora's stared in shock. 

"Do you know who the Hybrid's are, Ralis?" Link dared to ask. He had to make sure he knew. Ralis looked back up at him, and interest sparkled in his eyes. He turned his head slightly to the left. "Th-the... Zorons?" he asked, and Link couldn't tell what tone was in his voice.

O-of course!" He stuttered. "My mother always told me about them."

Link raised an eyebrow. "What'd she say?" he asked, holding back his own urge to stutter. Ralis shifted uncomfortably it seemed. "Well... she was never against them... but just seemed... I suppose a bit close-minded about them."

This made Link's heart jump. The sweet queen he'd once met, as a ghost? That was her? 

"Wait- what?" Link asked, feeling as if a piece of him he'd never known was there, cracked in confusion. Ralis nodded, almost seeming pained too. "It... I was always against that, and it would 'cause some arguments."
"So, you're fine with Hybrids?"

Ralis looked shocked at that moment. "Of course! I don't understand why you wouldn't. But of course... to some others, there just a myth, and while I believe in them being real myself... I don't have proof."

"They're Kakariko Village with us," Link said, grinning with a spark in his eye. Ralis' eyebrows raised. "You're kidding?" he said in disbelief.
"No, we got 'em," Midna spoke this time, almost seeming impatient, but Link assumed it was just Midna's personality.

Ralis stared off. "Wow..." It seemed he was trying to digest what had just been told, and Link wondered if he was thinking about his mother.
'Help us' Link wanted to say out loud.

Just at that moment, Ralis looked back and made direct eye contact with Link. "We're ready to join, and fix this mess, and win the war," he said determinedly.
A sort of weight lifted from Link. But he still felt odd.
"You will?" Link sighed in relief.

Ralis nodded, smiling. "If you'll have us." 
Link nodded vigorously. "I do. You have no idea how much this helps," he said.

Ralis turned to his guards. "Who's ready to save our home- who's ready to save all the lands around us?"
They all cheered.


© 2020 Vertigo Cat1111


Author's Note

Vertigo Cat1111
We are very, very close to the end of this story! Eventually, I'll be putting up short stories for different characters, but I'm unsure of when I'll do that. All rights belong to Nintendo besides my own stuff!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

29 Views
Added on October 23, 2020
Last Updated on October 23, 2020
Tags: Link. Midna. Zelda. Twilight Pri

Legend Of Twilight: Everlasting Dawn


Author

Vertigo Cat1111
Vertigo Cat1111

About
🐱💙My biggest writing inspirations are Lorde, Gabbie Hanna, and Phoebe Bridgers. If you like any of them feel free to talk to me about it! Never be afraid to go on tangents to talk abou.. more..

Writing