Chapter 19: Heal

Chapter 19: Heal

A Chapter by Vertigo Cat1111
"

Midna is still struggling to save Link and will have to get out of her comfort zone if she truly is to do so.

"
Midna stared out the exit of the cave, watching the sun go down, as it bathed the land in orange and yellow light, lighting the sky up, even pink and purple. The velvety blanket of night was approaching, and an idea had swept across her mind, several minutes ago. Even though she couldn't feel any hunger in her belly, she was more than excited to get those chus she had spotted for Link. Sighing, she rose to her feet and switched excitedly to a Twilit. She suddenly smelled something strong, then remembered in her panic, she had tried to heal Link's wound with her dress. Bloodstained the edges.

Looking down, and frowning at the mess, she headed out anyway, Link's sword and shield in hand. Her legs guided her to the wide-open field, noticing not one but two red chus. It may not be much, but hopefully, it'd be enough to get Link through this, through the worst.

The sword felt heavy in her hands, and it made her nervous for the Twilight Sword. How would she ever get used to this? And she indubitably hated to admit it, but maybe Link was right. Maybe she did need to take some of his lessons. He was an extremely talented and experienced swordsman.

As she walked on, daydreaming, she was suddenly knocked backward. Midna stared at what had DARED to attack her. Snarling, she realized she had come upon the chus without even realizing it. Grumbling, and yet, not knowing what she was doing, she sliced at the red chu, and she grinned victoriously. 

Ha! That would teach the old grubby thing to mess with her!

Her smile dropped when she saw it split into two, smaller chus.

What- Oh, gosh darn it. If only she'd paid better attention when Link fought these dang things. Not that it was a very big deal. She got this down-

But the two red jellies launched forward, knocking her back. "HEY!" Midna shouted, frustrated, as if they were two insolent children, running around while they should be in bed. 

Midna tried to slice the one to her left but barely missed it. "MM!" Midna growled. She hopped back up on her feet and attempted to rid of it again. This time she was able to slice it, and instead of it doubling, it fell into liquid. Trying to get it as fast as possible, she stumbled with Link's satchel, struggling to open it with her shaking fingers, but after a second that seemed a millennium of frustration, she whipped it open, and ripped out the bottle, tearing the sponge cap off.

Dunking the bottle into the red liquid, she smiled with an ah-ha! Until the other sludgy, gross Chu wrapped itself (can Chu's have genders?) around Midna's blue leg.

"AGH!" Midna screamed, shaking the wretched thing off. "EW, EW, EW, EW!" Midna wailed, finding grosser then any three-foot bug her and Link had seen.
She kicked it with her barefoot and began to angrily poke it with Link's Master Sword. "Go away, you filthy creep!" 

It quickly split in two, but Midna was in a blind rage, swiping her sword every which way until they disappeared. Midna shuddered, picking a bottle off the floor that'd fallen in her panic, and scooped the grossness up. "Yuck," she frowned, feeling grossed out by them. She looked around for any more sludges but saw none. Darn, if there was the golden Chu, that probably would've healed Link right up! Turning herself back to the cave, she knew it was time to get back to Link. It might've only been several minutes, but she still felt she'd been out here much too long.

----

Midna couldn't breathe, as she sat by his head, stroking his sweat-darkened hair, listening to delirious mumblings and cries, trembling in worry and disbelief when she heard his own name, tumbling from his mouth. When she came back, he was much worst then she left him. He was speaking of something desperately in his sleep, and sweating profusely, now not a cold sweat. She pressed the damp and cold washcloth onto his forehead, and felt like bursting into absolute tears, because how awfully unfair this was. She wanted, NEEDED Link to be okay! And he hadn't gotten better yet! She felt pitiful, utterly desperate.

Holding back a sob rising in her voice, she merely sighed, and kept trying to wipe the sweat and heat away from him. It was a bit deep into the night if Midna had to guess, it was nearly midnight. She needed rest, she knew. Or else it'd be impossible to take care of him...

'Just a few more minutes...' she told herself, eyes tired, and she could basically feel the bags under them.

 The night before, she'd also barely slept, and when she did, it wasn't very good. Shivering from the nippy air making its way into the cave, her ears perked up, with an idea in mind.

Getting up off her sore knees, she hovered over the entrance of the cave and spread out her hands. Her idea was to add some sort of twilight window to the entrance, so she wouldn't feel so claustrophobic, and so she could distract herself with the view. Behind her, Link mumbled something about Midna again.
This made said Imp wanna cry. Again. 

Sighing, she spread her hands out and formed some messy twilight window pane. It was basically clear, with a tinge of orange, and a few messy black splats around. With her hands on her hips, she stared at her work. Not particularly proud of it, Midna told herself it was just because she was so stressed because of the sick Hylian behind her. She kept in mind, she gave Link his first potion, but kept the other one, wanting to use it sparingly, unsure if there were any more Chus grossly squirming around.

Turning back, she noticed the wind definitely wasn't blowing in, and looking at Link, he wasn't shivering as much, so her work was done. With keeping Link from the chill, that was. She still needed to take care of him, save him. Sighing, once again, she took a blanket, but made sure Link was tucked in well enough, and then snuggled herself into a corner. She closed her eyes and tried to focus on her breathing, looking forward that the next day, Link may wake up, and be feeling better.
The Twilight Sword was the last thing on her mind, getting it. She could only think of Link's well-being. He had to be okay, he had to! The Goddesses' couldn't take him now? Was it their punishment? 

Wait... Why was he sick? Was it really being in that river? It wasn't cold there, it was rather warm. MAYBE, the Gods found a way for Midna to blame herself? Why was Link sick? It couldn't be an infection of his cut, because as she'd been checking on it, it'd been healing perfectly fine! Ha!

The Gods couldn't trick her forever. And she was going to save him. Maybe she sounded insane, but she was merely not in the right space of mind to be really thinking about it. But it just felt, simply right and true. 

Growling, she hoped the Gods watched her, as she dragged her pillow and blanket over to Link, and laid next to him, nearly snuggling. "You can't stop me from saving him, Gods..." Midna hissed, knowing somehow it wasn't the Goddesses'... she got the strange feeling they were on there side.

Snorting in anger, and realizing how truly tired she was, she closed her eyes, pressing her cheek to Link's chest, and she realized she could lay here forever if Link was alright.

-----

Midna nearly jumped up, a bit startled. What was that? It echoed in her mind, something familiar that she knew she should know, but it wasn't connecting. She glanced at Link, but he was seemingly in a deep sleep. Tired eyes looked to the entrance of the cave. The rain was dripping down, and it was still some time deep in the night. The Moon shone in the room, and she found this as an opportunity to feel his forehead.

Then the noise came again. But Midna's slightly less tired brain, this time registered it as a voice. Link's voice. Saying her name.

She gets up, startled from her slumbery eyes, as she heard his rusty, hoarse voice asking for her. "Midna...?" Hearing his voice shocked Midna, and she stared at him. 
"What's- what's wrong, Link?" She said, in a near whisper. His voice was sleepy, peaceful even as he said, "I... I l..."

...

Midna's heart began to race like never before. Trying to catch her very own breath, she told herself, her defense mechanism and walls built up so high and strong, her brain immediately told her quickening heartbeat it was only the fever talking.

How would she ever sleep now? 

No, she was being ridiculous. Link wasn't saying what she thought. Link was dreaming and called her name out on accident. Or, he was dreaming of Ilia and didn't mean to say such crap. She turned her head to him, then suddenly felt intimidated. Hovering up and backing up anxiously, she tried to catch her breath, as nearly everything else caught up with HER.
Sighing a heavy breath, she stared at the moon. The moon was also intimidating her. Everything was telling her what she already damn-well knew, but didn't want to admit... Because... because... she was afraid. 

No, damn it! She wasn't afraid of anything, because there was nothing there! Jeez! When would she learn? When would her stupid heart learn!? 

Midna found herself wanting to scream into a pillow, curse everything out. It was so dumb and she just... just wanted Link to get better... And not... these stupid feelings.

Her heart's bound with his. She guesses she always knew- a strong, invincible thread clung on, tied to both of them. Neither of them had to say anything. They could've always stayed silent, and it would've been there. From the very beginning there something. But, Midna didn't care. Light Dwellers are pathetic, whiny, overemotional and weak creatures. But... she found herself not being able to think that anymore. Maybe she was blinded by the veil around her eyes that was her and Link's fierce bond, with no words needed to express the feelings. But Light Dwellers were-!

But what she feels...

Midna buried her face into her hands.

It's so powerful. So powerful, she couldn't breathe, confused and panicked. It's not registering. Because it's not NATURAL for her. She isn't that dumb, ditzy farm girl who sucks up to Link. He's controlling her, and it sickening. She wants him- NEEDS him, and that thought makes her want to vomit. But she can't let it defeat her! And there- she looked up to stare at him- he sleeps there, oblivious to her panic and pain. It's baffling she could ever be so cruel. To LINK! He probably thinks she hates him. Unless he sees through her, clearly.

He's too wonderful; he's too sweet. She looked at him. Midna longed so much to reach out and hold him, everything in him, including his spirit. He was so oblivious and she was so desperate. 

But she pretends not to care... Her whole life, she always pretends. 

...

The image of Zelda and Link arrive in her mind. They're perfect together.

And everyone knows it.

But through that envy, through that ugly emotion, all she feels is a beautiful passion. Passion for everything he's ever looked at, thought about, everything... relating to him.

She sighed and removed her face from her palms, and looked back up at the moon, then Link...

The smell of lavender that radiated off his tunic, his soft skin, yet rough fingers...

Deep down in her heart... she was happy. Ecstatic. Some strange, yet amazing feeling. 

It was a feeling Midna was sure she was incapable of giving back to Link. This journey has been difficult, in all the right ways. Yet, now that he has a hold of her heart, she doesn't want it to go away... She wishes she didn't like the feeling, but honestly, it's already too late. 

He's her life.

Her heart felt resurrected, a tormenting pain with each thump. She was merely a girl, scared, weak and timid, confused, frighten, unsure, with a wall built around her. Yet, she was strong, as she took a few bricks down, looking out into the world, with her strong longing. She looked to him, smiled. The fever seemed to have passed. But it is not the same smile she shares with anyone else. She knows by now, he is the only one, even if he can never be hers. But deep in her head and heart, she knew that scenario she had been dreaming of was more than possible.

It's already planned. They're simply BOUNDED to be one, as sure as the sun rising each morning.

Forever, Midna will wonder why she broke the mirror, let the pieces fall, and reflect the image of her heart at that moment.

'He was always mine to lose', she admitted.


------

Midna's eyes blinked in the rising sun. She had actually slept quite a few hours that night after she half-admitted... SOMETHING to herself. She frowned. It still made her feel ever so weak. But the sun reminded her of healed things... Better stronger things. Surely the things she'd thought last night would only make her weaker, not stronger?

Sighing, she turned her head away from the bright sun. 

"M-Midna..."

Midna looked up, ears perked. Link was looking at her through squinted eyes, and he seemed to be trying to sit up. "LINK!" Midna screamed. She hovered anxiously around him, as he pushed himself up. "Link, Link, Link," she babbled quickly. "I'm... I'm okay..." he whispered. 

"Are you alright? What hurts?" She begged him to answer, in complete shock. "Ye-..." for several seconds he didn't answer, and she began to panic. "Yeah, I'm alright..." Link said quickly, after sensing her panic. Midna breathed a sigh of relief, as he tried to lift himself up.

"I'm just... sore, y'know? When you sleep in too much?" He said, turning to her and smiling. Midna stared at him as he smiled. She suddenly felt angry, and her face turned red, and she began to sweat. His smile was- intense. 

He pulled himself into a sitting position on the cave wall, and when he's settled, Midna sighed happily in relief. Midna then hovered to him, slaps his shoulder. "Never do anything so stupid again! Promise?" She hissed. He smiled at again, and she glared at him. Was this some sort of game to him?
"Is this a game to you!? I've been taking care of you for THREE HORRIFYING DAYS! I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD!" She screeched, trying once again to hide something.

...

"I promise."

Midna sighed in relief and slumped onto the floor. "...Good." 

She turned into a twilit, eyes closed in peace, grateful that Link was seemingly... okay. She lifted her head up to meet his own gaze. "Are... you okay?" She whispered.

Surprising her, Link laughed. "I'm okay, Midna. It's okay." He chuckled, smiled sweetly at her. It slowly fell down, as Midna stared at him. "I'm just making sure, jeez-"
"Uh, Midna?" Link asked, tilted her head at her, as she grumbled head, turned away. "What?" She snapped. 

"What... happened?" Link giggled a bit. Midna stared at him in shock, then began to ready herself to shout, and SCREAM at him, that she was put through all that, and he didn't remember a single bit!? Well, he was going to!

"YOU DON'T REMEMBER, PUSHING ME, AND DYING, YOU SORRY DOLT!?" Midna screeched in anger, suddenly wishing very much, he was still unconscious.

"YOU-" She began again, ready to tear the tired Hylian new one, but he put his hands up defensively. "No, I meant, AFTER I pushed you. YOU rescued me."

Midna stared at him, as the rose higher, and shone on them. "Midna, you have to understand, I was sure that was the death of me."

...     

"So did I, Link." 

They stared at each other, eye contact lasting for several intense moments. That is, until, Link gently smiled at her and said, "I'm really sorry, Midna."

Midna stared at him, but it somehow changed. She felt her heart shatter into pieces and suddenly felt like an utter monster for calling the poor thing an dolt. He was out of it, and probably in a huge amount of pain for God's Sake! Why couldn't she just be nice to him?

Sighing, she floated nearer to him, her tiny arms behind her back. "Sorry..."
Link's eyes widened in surprise. Midna just apologized? Geez, he only ever remembered her apologizing since he'd known her... twice?

Wrapping his arms around her tiny body, he pulled her in for a hug, and it shocked Midna. unexpecting, for several seconds she tried to get away from him. This... this was too much! But realizing she'd already been cruel to him, she let him hold her however he may wish, even if it made her feel as if someone lit her tiny body on fire.

But how long it'd been was long enough, and she shuffled away. "Okay, okay... That's enough." Midna grumbled and flew back out of Link's grasp when he relaxed his arms. 

Stopping herself before her back slammed into the wall, she folded her own arms. "I'd say it's about time to check on you're wound, Link."
Link stared at her confused. "My-my wound-" he glanced down, and seemed utterly shocked, and froze when he saw his lower torso all bandaged up. "Oh, uh... So, when I fell, I guess, huh?"

The way he spoke, Midna found, turned her face red. Trying desperately not to snap, she spits out a mere, "yes," hovering over to him. 

He laid down on his back, feeling as if it was what to do. 

Midna looked down at him frowning, wanting to figure out something that he was doing wrong, and tell him so. Looking around, as he laid down like she was gonna tell him, she found his dumb hands, were placed on his dumb bandages!

But she merely spoke, "Link, can you move your hand, please?"

Ugh, did she seriously just ask politely? Gross. But she saw how her taunts and such didn't upset Link anymore. He merely smiled at her, and she then wondered if Link thought he was lucky or something. Grumbling, as she unwrapped his bandages, he hummed sleepily and happily, hands on his chest, patting it joyfully.

As Midna grabbed a washcloth and dabbed into Link's cut, (which, by the way, made her cringe and her stomach turns each time she cleaned it.)

A sudden painful, sharpness shot through Link's waist, for the first time. And he yelped. "Ow!" He shouted, and gripped it. "Are you okay?" Midna gasped, drawn out of her defensiveness, and grew ultimately concerned.

Switching into a twilit, to help clean it easier, she stared at him as he winced. "It'll probably hurt, as I clean it, okay?"

Link nodded through the pain and tried to ignore it, as it throbbed away. As she gently patted his wound, trying to clean up the rest of the blood, Link ever so bravely remained silent through it.

Suddenly, a sticky warm smell flowed through the air to him, and his relaxed, closed eyes opened. "Uh... is that my blood?" He asked. A throbbing ache vibrated to him, as he stared at Midna. "Uh, I don't think so. It could be. But it's basically clean." As Link felt the water pat his stomach, he winced at the sting but looked to Midna. 

The cape the splayed out behind her- the very corner- was covered, absolutely soaked in dried blood. "Midna!" He shouted. Midna looked confused up at him. "What?" She asked.

"You're- You're CAPE!" He yelled, immediately regretting it when pain shot through his sore, unused body. Midna stared at him for a few moments. Honestly, she'd just been secretly reveling in the fact that well... he was alive. 
Thank the Goddesses', but staring at Link's shocked and scared face, she took a moment to humor him. Turning her head around, she stared at it. "Oh, yeah. Meh."

"MEH?" Link yelled, struggling to understand. "What could you possibly mean, by 'meh'?" He pondered, frightened. "Oh," Midna said, and it turned into a slow giggle. 
 
"It's not from me, Link. I didn't get hurt. This is your blood, actually."

Link stared at her, then nervously turned his blue orbs back to the darkened cape. "Oh... uh..." It made his stomach turn, and he felt bad for Midna. Not only had this been probably very scary for her, but she had his blood all over her clothes. "Do... do you need me to clean them?" Link offered, still feeling unsure and confused by his surroundings. Midna laughed, and as she did so, Link was worried he did something wrong. "No, no Link. That's okay. You've been through enough."

Link stared at her for several more seconds, then laid himself back. Sighing he lay his hands on his chest. He already wanted to get out of this cave... But he was alive, and among Midna. Even though his mind was still dizzy, and he felt as if he were recovering from the flu, Midna was with him...

And that's all he needed.

"Get some more sleep if you need it, Link. In fact, that's an order. Don't worry about anything," Midna said, patting dry his cut. 

Link found comfort in her words, and as she finished up, the sun now up from afar had fallen once more, into a deep sleep.


-----

Distant noises echoed into Link's ears softly, and it brought him to a quiet wake. His eyes opened a bit fast. He could almost focus immediately, and he breathed in. His body felt rather heavy. The bright sun had been washed away, but he could feel it's natural warmth, shining through the clouds this time. He looked right and saw Midna struggling with something, outside. She had fallen on her bum. Link energetically sat up. He wanted to help and found he felt not whatsoever tired, or even
sick. It felt like too long he'd been asleep, but he figured it was only several hours.

He stared at Midna she came back, who seemed a bit surprised but still smiled at him. When she came in, she handed him a cup of water. He took a few sips, then thanked her, and noticed she held his Master Sword. "Hey... what were you doing out there?" He asked, curious but almost proud she'd been using his sword. But for what exactly?

Midna looked down to it. "Oh, yeah. Getting some Chus," she said rather nonchalantly, setting the weapons down. "That's fine with you, right?" Midna asked, turned to him. Link nodded, face feeling warm when she came in. "Yeah, of course... I just... didn't expect to see you with a sword, you know. Just yet."

He listened to the wind outside, as he took a second sip. He lifted his head up, swallowing and turned to a Midna. Something came into his mind that he was surprised hadn't came into his loopy, light-headed mind earlier.

"So... how long?" 

"Yesterday morning you woke, and two days since what happened."

'Almost four days...' thought Link, drinking away his dry throat. He began to rise, but Midna pushed him back down. "Uh, uh," Midna grunted shaking her head. "I'm not so sure you should get up," she frowned. "You should really eat some Chu." Midna offered, handing him a new bottle of the red stuff. Link noticed the poor thing seemed flustered, but he nodded. But instead of drinking any, he immediately stood up, and Midna gasped angrily. "Link!" She growled, looking down at him.

"I'm... fine," he babbled. If he was being perfectly honest, his legs felt a bit wobbly, and his head was also very light-feeling but that had to be expected for laying down for nearly four days. "Link!" Midna screeched again. "Lay down! You had a fever!" 

Link cocked an eyebrow at her. "Fever?" He was confused... 
"Yes. Not only were you cut, but you also had some sort of flu. I didn't understand, and still, don't but I think it was an infection from the wound, even though I'm pretty- definitely sure I had cleaned it."

"Huh..." Link wondered, looking around the room, turning it into a spin. Maybe Midna didn't understand, (well, yes, of course, she didn't, he didn't tell her yet) but he felt... Spectacular. He was ready to go out and about. "What time is it, even?" He wondered. 
Midna still looked frustratingly concerned but turned behind her to look outside. "It's hard to tell since it's so overcast-It's mostly always overcast here- but it's still early morning."

Link nodded, staring over her shoulder, through the bright clouds to what he assumed to be the sun... or a death ray. "Link, you should really lay down..." Midna insisted.

"No, I'm ready to get out-" he began to walk towards the exit, and Midna made no attempt to stop him, as he clashed into some invisible wall. He fell down, then looked up and around. Had he hit a wall?

Behind him, Midna burst out cackling, and Link turned his head to glare at her. "Hey, what's the issue here?" He shouted. "I really, don't understand," he frowned, pouting at her. "Link- Link," she tried to get out, tripping over her own words, laughter taking over. "I put an invisible wall there, cause of the cold- HAHA!"

Link pouted, then got right back up, in which that moment Midna stopped laughing and yelled, "Hey!"

Rubbing his sore, and angry face he plastered a smile on. "Let's go."

Midna stared up at him. "Link, are you really sure you're okay?"
Link scoffed, waving a hand around. "I'm MORE than okay! Seriously Midna! Let's get out of here."

Midna sighed and nodded. "Fine, but we get to bed EARLY tonight." She growled as he gathered his stuff. "Got that Link?"

"Fine, fine," he agreed, smiling as he bent over. He put his hat on, then frowned. "Why... is it so big?" he wondered, completely and utterly confused.

Midna's face turned a dark shade of crimson red. "Uh, uh, no reason," she babbled, ripping it out of his hand, shrinking it with some sort of magic, then tossing it back to him.

He smiled at her as she turned away. He fit it on, and it fit this time, comfortably, and snugly. There... perfect. Gathering the rest of his stuff, as Midna cleared up the cave they'd been living for far too long, Link remembered their mission, as lighting stuck, thunder sounded at the same time.

It was time to get going.


© 2020 Vertigo Cat1111


Author's Note

Vertigo Cat1111
Another chapter! All rights belong to Nintendo and please review and tell me what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

27 Views
Added on October 7, 2020
Last Updated on October 7, 2020
Tags: Link. Midna. Zelda. Twilight Pri

Legend Of Twilight: Everlasting Dawn


Author

Vertigo Cat1111
Vertigo Cat1111

About
🐱💙My biggest writing inspirations are Lorde, Gabbie Hanna, and Phoebe Bridgers. If you like any of them feel free to talk to me about it! Never be afraid to go on tangents to talk abou.. more..

Writing