Chapter 33: Sleep and Stalling

Chapter 33: Sleep and Stalling

A Chapter by Vertigo Cat1111
"

Returning to Ordon would be hard, Link knew. So... just one more night with Midna would make it all the better.

"
Link sat on a rock, crafting arrows as Midna practiced with her sword. They were taking a short break, waiting for the chicken to cook.
The noise of Link cutting and shaping wood made Midna feel at home, even though she was somewhere new every day. But she was finally coming to terms with what home actually meant- wherever Link was. 
The thought of where she belonged was always a hard one for her, as she knew the Twilight Realm was where she lived, where she ruled, but nothing, no thoughts, no ideas seemed right without Link.
Before realizing her place was with him, she never had a straight answer.
Link cleaned them up a bit, and then took the chicken off the fire. Midna looked anxiously at it, suddenly wondering if they were taking too long. 
"This is all a race against time isn't it?" she frowned. "We've been going faster than predicted," Link reassured.
"Yeah, but nothing is fast enough," Midna frowned seriously, with a weary sigh. Midna was inclined to worry further, but something appeared out of the corner of her eye.
"Link!" She gasped jumping back.
It was the largest crow either of them had ever seen, it's beady eyes staring down at them. It was barely bigger than a Twilit bird. Link switched into a wolf as it cawed and flew towards the both of them.
He leaped for its belly, and it screeched like nothing he'd ever heard. He reached his claws out to scratch at its wings, his mind willing for Midna to run and hide, be safe. But he knew Midna, and if he knew ANYTHING about her-
He heard imp Midna yelling furiously, and her orange third hand reached out and smacked the bird. In her anger, she wasn't sure what else to do- they'd never seen this thing before.
The pressure threw the bird back, and Link went flying backward. He landed on his back, but got back up in a hurry, as it awfully screeched in pain.
Ignoring the pain in his back from hitting the cooling campfire, he pushed hard on the dirt floor, hard with his paws, and jumped. 
He thumped into it, and nearly fell back down, but clawed on to his, the sharpness of them sinking into its flesh.
It writhed and screamed in pain, but Link hung on and snapped his maw around its neck. 
Suddenly, he heard Midna yell, "DUCK!" and the wolf whipped his head around to see a boulder heading straight for them, gasping he ducked as Midna said, and it hit the monster straight in the face. Link fell back, whimpering and paws flailing.
"Oh, Link!" Midna yelled, struggling, then he felt one large hand catch him before he fell on the hard ground.
They both froze in shock, and Link found himself laying there for several long seconds. The creature lay there, dead.
"Pleh..." Midna blubbered. Link looked up at her, barking. "Oh, sorry," she apologized and set him down gently. 
She hovered down herself, and landed gently on her feet, as Link rolled back on his paws, a small poof of dust flying up.
"What the hell... was that?" Midna asked. Link looked back at her. Was that rhetorical? Because he didn't know either. It was different than a kargorok. He supposed it could be a new monster- but from what? 
"Don't you dare think that it was from our 'evil energy'," Midna snapped from behind him before he could even think of it. He winced, but not because he didn't think it was true- it was a thought that was going to cross his mind, but he didn't believe they could create that. 
Everything that was between he and Midna felt anything but evil. Making a whining noise, Midna looked at him, drawing her eyes from the body. "Hmm, suppose the Gods did it, do you?" she rubbed her cheek. "Well, they are against us, and GODS so, why wouldn't they?"
Link turned his gaze from the monster to Midna. There was silence between them as Midna packed their stuff and Link wondered if the same realization had passed their minds. 
To think they were gathering so many people if the Gods could create- monsters. They didn't say much to each other as they began to head south once again, wanting to leave the corpse behind, forgetting their appetites, but they both understood the tone between them. Clearly, fear was swelling.
This war had obviously become more apparent to them, and he suspected the rest who knew what was going on knew the same thing. There was more to this war then two star-struck lovers, like Romeo and Juliet. 
There was a terrible, unfair past that lay in the mysteries of Hyrule, that almost went hidden forever... how close it'd been scared him. If he'd stayed at Ordona...
So, they kept walking, faster than usual, but not running. Serious thoughts passing through them, the same ones.
Maybe... they could beat them.
And bring justice to all those who'd ever loved who they had wanted to. 
They cantered ahead when they almost slipped off a ledge. Link skidded, and Midna jumped back gracefully on one foot. "Woah!" she yelled. Sniffing the area, he recognized the scent- home. It was Ordon. 
The beginning of Hyrule field. Since they just made it out of the trees, they could both confirm it, seeing the familiar area, and that Hyrule Castle was ever closer.
The happiness and somewhat relief that flooded in him when he realized where they were at, was replaced by a feeling of impending doom when he looked at the blue and gray castle.
Edging down, he began the climb down the rocks. There were plenty of footholds but found he kept slipping anyway. "Oh, Link, careful," Midna would keep squeaking. He approached the edge, as it was a shorter wall. 
Should he jump down? He wondered as his foot slipped, but he regained its hold and balance.
His sharp nails dug into the crevices which were grassy and he hopped down, almost falling on his face, but he caught himself.
Their minds were now very jumpy. They found their eyes patrolling anything that moved even an inch. Perhaps the Gods could now see them? Whatever the reason, however, Link stayed close to Midna as they looked around, spying Ordon. 
----
The moon was shining now, and Link and Midna were exhausted.
They both raised their head to look up at it. It was a full circle, shining bright. It helped lead them to their destination and it seemed so bright where they were at, about to enter where Coro sat. They had gotten stopped by several Bokoblins and were now exhausted. Midna especially because she was just getting used to fighting as much as Link did.
Midna sighed, patting the side of Link's fur. "Link... I'm really tired, you're really tired- should we sleep?" he suggested.
Link nodded, relieved she suggested it. 
He looked around, but decided to move ahead- his house was the best bet. His stomach fluttered with butterflies. Sure, she'd seen his house, but now that she was his... significant other it felt like introducing her to his family- and he realized with a drop in his stomach that he probably would in the morning.
But he tossed that anxious thought aside and went ahead to his home. He turned human and they entered. He watched Midna as she looked around. "Hmm... cozy."
Link swallowed, this sudden nervous feeling shaking him up. 
He then noticed Midna just keeping her eye on the burning fireplace.
"Uh... Link?" she asked, confused. "Yeah?" he asked quietly. "Why is your, uh, fireplace going?" 
Link looked at it and blinked several times. "Oh yeah- game developers or something," he rolled his eyes. "Mm."
A sudden noise from outside made them jump- the howling wind, and then a strike of lighting, thundering. It wailed sharply, and the rain beat the roof, violently. Link inched closer to the fire, just the noise of the rain making him cold.  
Midna yawned. "How late is it?" she pondered, looking about. Link found his eyes drooping, but he looked to his old clock hanging up on the wall. "Er... 10:39..."
Midna sat down, as Link began to gather what Midna thought were random objects. She raised an eyebrow. "What're you doing?" she wondered. Link chuckled. "We're gonna sleep down here tonight."
"Ooooh," Midna responded. "So we're not sleeping in your bed?" she tilted her head. Link blushed. "No."
"Hm," Midna responded in weird humming noise she'd been making all day.
After setting them all up, Midna hovered to Link smiling. "I really like your house. All your pictures are funny," she almost giggled. Link nodded at her, grinning. 
But then he realized something- when he'd been leaving Ordon, he was messing around with all of his objects, and they had been thrown into things, broke windows-
He looked around. It was all fixed. Had they done it for him? He smiled gently. Maybe they wouldn't be as angry as he was fearing.
After a bit, they'd began to fall asleep, but Midna suddenly yawned, and it made Link yawn too. "How late is it?" she smiled, asking again. She was cuddling up to him, and he knew if she was any more awake, she'd be upset at him for snuggling with her, when, well, it was quite the other way around. He was half asleep. " 'Dunno..." he mumbled. 
He peaked a glance at the clock and realized they'd been in a blissful half-awake arrangement for some time now. " 11:59," he repeated what he saw, sleepily.
He looked at the flames, almost transfixed. The flames were casting flickering shadows across his small house, and the only noise came from the crazy-loud storm, and the crackling fire.
"Zzz... 's is fine," Midna mumbled, and Link wondered how close to sleep she was. He smiled at her. "Cute," he whispered, ever quietly.
"Cute...?" Midna hissed and Link winced. He'd said it too loud. 
"Cute, like WHAT?" She said a bit louder. 
Link couldn't help a chuckle. "A kitty? A child I suppose, perhaps both-"
"I LOATHE children," Midna spat. "They're realllly mucusey." 
She flipped away from him, growling. What had he done, that was so bad? But jealousy that she'd been holding back poured out of her.
"You know, Link, you're a dolt!" 
He stared, surprised. "If you want dumb, gross-snotty a*s brats, and for me to be all pregnant, go to you're freaking farm girl!" she exclaimed, and whipped away, backing him. "Stupid, dumb dummy head," she jabbered quietly.
"Wait..." Link stuttered. "Wait, I didn't mean..."
He went silent. What else could he say?
Link was rather cold with Midna not pressing up against him, and was unsure if this was one of their daily bickers or a real argument. He morphed into a wolf, and tried to rest now, closing his eyes- but it was next to impossible.
He still faced Midna, and after a while, he felt he may be falling asleep, till something pointy poked at his chest. He opened his eyes, and Midna's wide eyes stared at him. She'd taken off her heavy helmet, and both her red orbs were stretched open.
He snorted and jumped back. He wanted to tell her that she'd nearly given him a heart attack. But she just kept staring. He tilted his fluffy head. Was she just sleeping with her eyes open?
But she blinked at him, and Link realized she was about to ask something. He nudged her shyly with his cold nose. "Can we get closer? I'm cold," she blushed. He nodded and she curled in, feeling like... well, a child.
Midna sighed in content and smiled happily, even if she had to degrade herself and do this- but her chest still ached with hurt. Ilia was... perfect. Especially for Link.
Midna mumbled to herself as Link was pleased. He never knew human (twilit?) contact, and warmth could ever feel so good. Link was going to have the best sleep ever, he just knew it now.
---
As sunrise rolled around, Link realized he'd been more than correct. The night had held the best sleep he'd ever had.
And when he woke up, Midna had been actually, snoring. 
They were a bit funny sounding, but if you asked Link how they sounded, he'd have trouble describing it. But it mostly sounded like rapid bee noises. "Bz, bz, bz, bz, bz."
He really wanted to laugh. He decided to try to nudge her awake before he exploded. Pushing his black nose into her, she did nothing, then tried again. Still nothing.
"Stooop," Midna whined. "Bedtime... go play..."
The issue was that she had her entire body wrapped around his tail and hind legs. It was quite uncomfortable, yet very comfortable all at the same time.
Link snorted quietly. If he wanted to catch a ball, (he kinda wanted to) he'd still be dragging her around. It was time to get up, he supposed. He nudged her again, a bit harder this time.
"Liiiink! Stop! Or I'll cook you!"
Link's eyes widened. Okay- no dragging. He wanted to keep his legs. And whatever his tail was on his human body. (?)
So Link slept with her for another few hours. It was 11:56 PM when they woke up, and Link found himself in a berating session. "You should've gotten up, Link!" she exclaimed, waving her arms. But she decided they might as well sleep the rest of the night away. After all, no one in Ordon Village would be awake.
But Link was human that night, and just a blanket wasn't as comfortable as a fluffy wolf.
Midna thought about asking Link again- but that was rather embarrassing. He handed her a blanket, rather sleepily, and chuckled as he realized they'd been sleeping here for about 24 hours. They needed the sleep though... But while Midna was comfortable, she just couldn't sleep and tapped on Link's back. She needed her furry pillow.
He opened his still sleepy blue eyes. "Yeah, Midna?" he smiled. "I'm f-freezing," she answered, adding in the stutter for extra effect. Classy. Butterflies fluttered in her stomach when she saw his blonde tousled hair and shining blue orbs.
He chuckled. "Is one blanket not enough?" The way she woke him up, reminded him of a child waking up their parents from a bad dream, or something another.
Midna decided just to up and say it. "You're a lot comfier and warmer," she looked away as her face turned red, and her entire body heated up.
Link gasped happily. "Really!? Really and truely?" 
She hated this embarrassing moment; she said what she meant, and meant what she said, what was with jabbering?
"I always wanted to be a blanket." His goofy smile was plastered on his tired, and bed-headed face.
Midna's face became even hotter than before. His smile was so, damn cute. But as irritating as the hells that were just as hot as her face. "Oh, shut up, Link, just do it!"
Midna reached into his satchels that lay across the floor and tossed the magic stone Zant had put into Link's head, hard enough to hurt at his head, and it shifted him into a wolf, just like Midna wanted. 
But Link was silent about how smug he was about her words. As she got comfortable, he curled into her. As it was, Midna blushed, embarrassed, but still content, happy, and like she had wanted- warm.
And relieved he didn't mind. They slept, till the morning light, and Midna knew the war was bound to happen soon and wasn't sure who'd they lose but for now... she felt the old, dingy blanket that was wrapped around her a treasure. She'd always hold memories like this in her heart. 
Tommorow, she'd have to face Ilia. But for now... she was okay.


© 2020 Vertigo Cat1111


Author's Note

Vertigo Cat1111
I remember this particular chapter being inspired by another TP story, 'Keep Me Warm' by
AngelicConquistador on Fanfiction.Net, but I have no idea if they're still active, but I remember their writing being wonderful. All rights belong to Nintendo besides my own stuff!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

24 Views
Added on October 21, 2020
Last Updated on October 21, 2020
Tags: Link. Midna. Zelda. Twilight Pri

Legend Of Twilight: Everlasting Dawn


Author

Vertigo Cat1111
Vertigo Cat1111

About
🐱💙My biggest writing inspirations are Lorde, Gabbie Hanna, and Phoebe Bridgers. If you like any of them feel free to talk to me about it! Never be afraid to go on tangents to talk abou.. more..

Writing