Chapter 36: Father And Son

Chapter 36: Father And Son

A Chapter by Vertigo Cat1111
"

It's finally time for Ravana to make his reappearance and Link is more than ready to fight him. But Ravana will reveal a secret that could shake the Resistance to its very core- Link.

"
They had rushed home, and Shad had hurried off to the City in the Sky. They had to be ready and prepared for anything and everything.
Link stood with Midna, looking around Kakariko Village. The tension was in the air, gripping his very soul and he was scared for whatever came next. Would they survive this lethal jump? Could they? 

Thunder sounded, and it was for sure coming closer. 
Others were resting up, practicing and Link sighed... they hadn't had enough time to get ready, Link thought.

On the roof of the hotel, Link and Midna now laid enwrapped by the warm light of the sun shining down. as it watched over the pair. Midna sat at the edge and Link had collapsed on the dusty, dirt floor. 
"What the Gods said... do you even remember it, Link?"

Link turned his head to her, eyes on the imp. He shook his head chuckling, but not because he did not remember. "It's... it all feels so long ago," he laughed lowly and dryly. 

"They said we wreak havoc and darkness," she recalled, her voice thick. She shook her head, just barely. "But if they wanted to, they could figure out how to warp me back, and destroy it. That's proof that they are weak compared to us."
Link nodded, staring at her slightly angry face. Her lip curled in irritation, just the silence, but she stayed quiet for several moments. The air was a grayish orange. It was just like those one nights, in the summer and monsoon season, where it was raining, thundering so hard, the sky had turned orange and the air was hot windy- but spoke of so much more.
"I feel like we have some sort of power, Link... something we need to unleash."

Link saw many emotions dancing in her red-eye. He was then sure, with someone as fierce as Midna... they would win. He looked over the Village. Everyone here, in some way, held a place in his heart. He couldn't bare to see any of them go. Shad, Auru, Rusl, Telma, Zelda and- Ilia.

The hero was unsure of whatever happened to them. But he knew he'd fix it, somehow. He had to. 

As Midna's words echoed in his head, bravery began bubbling in his chest, coming from somewhere, deep within. Now more then ever, they had to be courageous, and he was very sure they had a chance. Perhaps Midna was the one who'd saved his life from being dull and empty. Perhaps Midna had saved him in the midst of nothing. 
Possibly, it was Midna who had driven Hyrule to collide with Stormsky... Collide and make peace, and put the world back together. 

More silence and they stared up at the stormy sky, wondering what would happen next.

Everyone had been forgiven, the Gorons, Zoras, and Hybrids were all at peace. 

Soon, the night would come where they began again.

No matter what happened.

----

A sudden thundering noise sounded, and it definitely wasn't thunder. Midna perked up from reading in surprise, and Link stood up in a rush, running down to the largest field in Hyrule. "What was that?" He heard Ilia cry. Everyone began running out from where they slept and seeing where Link ran and Midna followed, they chased after. "Link?" Rusl called.

There was- something. This was different. Link huffed, as he ran through the canyon, and gazed at whatever made that noise. There was a dark gray- basically black, transparent force field around Hyrule Castle, but not the entirety of Castle Town. His heart froze. What was that?

Many of the people behind him asked the exact same thing. "What?" Uli cried. 
"Everyone, stay back!" Midna turned around and glared at the Resistance, agitated. She ripped out the Twilight Sword, and Link held his own, the Master Sword, and Hylian shield. Calling Epona over, Midna called over her own horse, seeing someone riding over. "Everyone, GO!" Midna basically screeched. shooing them off.

Several stayed- Rusl, Harold and several Gorons, Zoras and Hybrids. Midna let them remain. As the person rode over, Link hopped on Epona, and Midna climbed on Shadow's back.

A gust of wind made the two flinch and Link suddenly recognized the man as he rode closer- Zelda's assistant, Ravana.
"Hello?" Midna shouted over the wind. The man with sharp green eyes smirked. "Have you told your little princess we have taken over?" he chuckled fiercely.
Midna was taken aback, as was Link.

"Wh-what?" she asked. They barely knew this man at all- what sort of connection did he have, that made him feel he could come and speak to them.

He frowned. "Zelda knows it, that her own kingdom is against her- and this will only make the God's blood slaughter easier."
Link felt as if he was in a rather peculiar dream. He barely remembered seeing the knight Ravana, and most of all- how did he know about the Gods, and what the Resistance were all up against.

+++++

"Who- what the hell are you talking about?" Midna spat. "Who are you?" Rusl asked.

"Do you think a mere group will slay me?" he sneered.

Fear jumped into Link's throat. Ideas flooded into his brain. Was he with the Gods? Part of them? And did the final battle start now?
All of his fear crashed into dust when he remembered Midna was right next to him. A bravery Link had never felt and couldn't understand made his blood boil. He kept his grip tight on the Master Sword, glaring bravely. This mad man must think the Gods had already won, because of him, but Link and Midna had every right to prove him wrong.

Ravana charged ahead, trampling the grass, and Link and Midna shot ahead. But they were soon joined by other former guards of Zelda. Orange and black deepened the skies, making them glow, and lighting crashed down, very close by. He was now fully aware of what was about to happen.
Link patted Epona's side. "Hiya!"

He rode through the masses, and the guards who tried to block him from Ravana, but Midna charged, swiping at them. "Get Ravana, Link!" Midna called.

Link panicked for a moment, losing Ravana in his sight, but then his eyes caught the dark rider billowing on the edge of the land on horseback.
Sharp blue eyes, met cold green ones, and a fire in Link's belly was lit. His gaze seemed to be daring Link.

Courage burst inside Link, as he raised the Master Sword, charging towards the cowardly knight. Suddenly, Ravana turned his horse. He turned to Link as he rode off, smirking. He wanted him to follow. It seemed to be a mere game to him. Link would not play it.

"Go after him!" Midna cried, caught up in a battle with the other guards. He could feel the ground shaking with the Goron's rolling after Midna.
Link swerved to avoid a large rock, attempting to keep his speed, staying steady.

Link urged Epona forward and she speeded like never before. Loyally, Epona's hooves clopped against the grass and hard set dirt.

Soon, Link took Ravana being cornered to his advantage and advanced for an attack. Too soon, Link was in front of Ravana and went to slice at his head. But he missed and ended up barely slicing his arm. 

Ravana hissed in pain and backed up. Link drew Epona forward slicing his sword, and backing the rider. His blade was merely cutting air, but it made him draw onto the Hylian Bridge. Link's brow furrowed as Ravana smirked at him, confidently. His fist tightened over the hilt, and they were now fighting on the Hylian Bridge.

Ravana rose his sword and swung at Link, and he responded. Together, their swords clashed, and they raced towards each other.

Link swung. 
And missed.

He cried out, head throbbing, as the man's dark sword sliced across Link's face, blood flying.
"Give it up!" Ravana cried. No, demanded.

But Link would not. There was no question. He would cast all the negative energy out of Hyrule, all the disbelievers out of Stormsky. They would not remain.

He swiped his sword once again. When he swung it, gathering all his strength. It blew into Ravana's head, and then his head rung as if he was dreaming. "ARGH!" he shouted, shaking his head. Link went in for another blow, and sliced the mans stomach, but lightly. Fury and his arrogance broke through as he held his head, and looked at Link, who was fuming- and thought he was winning. Ravana sliced rather quickly, but Link was just as fast and their swords collided. 

"Father would be so disappointed in us," he chuckled. As Link attempted to parry him, he was utterly confused. "Father- what?"

But as he looked at Ravana's face, he suddenly realized he did look rather familiar- sharp eyes, a rather sharp nose, and silently rounded face.
Ravana looked like Link himself.

But this was still confusing- Link couldn't just assume he was his brother- and how did he even know his father? Ravana must be insane.
Ravana must've seen the look of pure confusion on his face because he chuckled. "Think about this, Link- you know this man... rather, well in fact. But he's by far not your favorite person."

Link struggled to figure out what he was talking about. "Think about it..." he muttered.
A wave of alarm struck the green-clad hero and an idea came into his mind- albeit, it was a silly one, most definitely not true. This man was merely insane, and his taunts did little to confirm who his 'father' was.

This man was not his brother. He was insane, crazy.

"You- I don't know you!" Link shouted at him, wanting him to stop the confusion. But this was probably just part of his plan, Link thought.

Ravana scoffed, but his green eyes never left Links. "Your too dull-minded to know, aren't you?" he said. "It's the dark lord, brother," he spat. "Zant, though you don't believe it.

Link's grip on his hilt weakened, and Ravana drew back his. He looked as if he had just won when neither of them really had.
"I-what?" Link asked desperately staring off.
"It makes sense now? The way he loathed you, the way he treated you? He was a cruel man, but he was a smart one, brother. Don't forget that."

The former-farm boy shook his head. "This is dumb- you're lying. Why in hell would you tell me such an awful lie?" he spat, but deep down he was pleading to the Gods that it wasn't true.
"I know this, Link- I would not lie to you, you're my own flesh, kin. This is why you have such powerful light virtue, from our mother. Zant loathed this, you know. 

How he had come into this world, was that struggling, while still young, with the fact when he deduced he would most likely never be King, he left for a bit... found a woman, and what do you know the 'heartless' man fell in love. And we were born. But when she found out what he wanted to do, take over the Kingdom in the Twilight Realm, she disagreed, took one child- you, and left it in a safe haven. What she heard was the safest. Ordon Village.

She then followed Zant back into the Twilight Realm but disagreed with his ways, and he killed her in the slaughter. Eventually, I grew, and I left and made it here- to make something of myself, to help Ganon and Zant. But you defeated both of them- and when I found out it was you, I teamed with the Gods."

Link's heart was pounding, shaking. His breath caught, and he stared at his... brother. And his movement backward caused Epona to take an involuntary step backwards. He now stared, downcast. How could it be that his partial father was Zant, the very usurper of the Twilight, was his father? Or was he entirely his dad, or just half?

"Zant...?" Link mumbled. It was the same name he'd bestowed with hatred. Now he realized, why this made so much sense.
'No matter how much you may desire, you will never be more than a shadow in their world...'

Dad... It can't be. He couldn't possibly...

"So... you're lying," was all Link said at first. But Ravana shook his head frowning. "How else would I know these things?"
It made no sense- but Ravana knew it all. "No, Link... there's room for you in my heart- you're my brother and I love you, whether my father did or not- but join us and the Gods- send Midna back, and fix this."

Link thrust his shield to hit him, but Ravana grabbed it, and Link gasped in shock as almost a black gas began to flow out of his hand, cracking his shield.
The Hylian pulled it away, guessing Zant had given him shadow power.

Link felt his heart take on the strongest denial he'd ever felt. "As Midna's companion," he said, "I am not going to be such a failure as you are."
Link's mind was stumbling but he spits out whatever resistance he could. He was trying to regain the steps he was losing. But, courageously, he stared into his eyes.
Even if his vision was blurred. But he realized that Ravana was turning around and racing off. Several other guards shot past, nearly knocking Link over and followed. 

Ravana was gone.

Zant.

Link was horrified. He was more horrified then he'd ever been in his entire existence, even his past lives. He almost wanted to reach out weakly, to stop this. He gasped and almost fell down into the chasm below the bridge. The shock had infested him, his entire body. He almost felt as if he was at the precipice of truth. He was trying to digest this- but felt sick.

"Link!" the man heard an oh-so-familiar call. He weakly turned his head. "Did you fend him off?" she asked. "I suppose you did, but I just-"
"Zant..." Link mumbled.
He stared down.

"W-what...?" Midna 
"My-my half father..." "What!?"

Link shook his head. How could he explain this to Midna? He glanced at her face. It was a confused expression, and her sleek, well-shapen eyebrows knitted together in confusion. "Link, I... don't understand. Zant was... Zant is your dad?"

Link nodded, feeling weak. "I don't... understand, Midna," he breathed. Midna stared at him for several long moments, then shook her head. "Neither do I, Link." she spoke. "But let's get you home."

-----
Link explained the story as Midna half-held him back to Kakariko Village. 

Midna was trying not to come to terms to why this made perfect sense. Even little things.
But she couldn't- wouldn't believe it.
He was still in a state of shock, confused. It sounded foolish, insane, but he felt what Ravana had told him was the truth. 
"Now, don't go running off and telling everyone, okay?" Midna told him gently. "We still don't know what's... true or not."

Link nodded weakly but wasn't listening.

As they trudged into Kakariko Village, they were swarmed.
"Link what was that?" "Who's Ravana?" "It sounded like thunder, but louder!" Talo cried waving his arms about.

Link sighed looking downwards. "He-" he pulled himself away from the crowd. "Its-" Midna looked to him as he tripped over his words. He may as well get it over with, get everyone over the shock now, so they'd be prepared.

"Ravana is- was a guard of Zelda's. He's on the God's side now, and he... his father is Zant... I'm Ravana's brother."

The Resistance's silence turned to gasps and yelps, murmurs becoming shocked whispers, longing to know if this was the truth. "What? How do you know this?" Uli gasped.
"And why would you believe him?" Ashei said. "He's who told you right?"

Link nodded. "The way he explained it- it makes to much sense." "But it doesn't to us!"

Link lifted his head up. "Listen! He told me little details, no one but Midna and I could know. Or even Zelda, but there were things he knew about the Twilight Realm. 
He-" the former-farmboy cut himself off and looked to Midna, even more coming together in his whirling mind. "You once told me Midna, Zant always seemed to have a wife or something with him, but ended up killing her when he killed your father."

"But I never saw a human boy!" Midna shouted back. "Maybe he isn't human- maybe this is some disguise, or maybe they just kept him hidden well," he said, and there was a long moment of silence as he caught his breath.

"And he had so many things, only we knew," he repeated. "He had my mother drop me in the safest area, Ordon Village because he didn't like how much light I harnessed-"
"Why would he do that- he hated the thought of Midna staying here, yeah?" Ashei spoke up again. "So, why would he have fallen in love with a human?" 

Link went quiet, realizing he didn't have an answer to that. This was posthumous, so there's no way he could figure it out now. But somehow, this felt true.
Link shrugged. "Maybe just to have children. He took the one with the darkest vibe and power, and dumped the lighter one."

Rusl then stepped out of the crowd. "I think we should believe Link," he declared. "Sure, Ravana's an odd person- an odd issue... But if Link, the most honest man I know, says it felt real, then he must be telling the truth."

"And this should NOT change the way we feel about him!" A Zoron shouted. "Yes," Gor Coron said lowly. "Just because his father and brother are rotten, doesn't mean Link is. He saved Hyrule after all. He saved thousands of lives."

There was silence, and Link felt relieved for a moment, his shoulders feeling light. Until the one person he didn't think would argue, did.
"Well, he seems to be a manipulator! So, we can't be sure-" Midna began shouting.
Link whipped around to his partner. "Midna, don't you see? What he says make sense!" he said angrily, snapping.

Midna was then taken aback. Link had never gotten so upset at her. He turned slowly back to the large Resistance. "He put some sort of- f-field around the Castle. But not the actual town..." he mumbled.

Rusl nodded, but came over, put a hand on his son-figures shoulder. "You need to rest. Tomorrow... some of us should sneak in and figure out what's going on."
Link looked to Midna. "Me and Midn
a will go... I think... it'll be-" but he went silent, when he saw her frustrated face, looking hurt and away from Link.
"I-" he began. He turned quickly to Rusl a concerned, almost scared look on his face.

Rusl shook his head encouragingly. "Talk to her..." he said. Link nodded, exhausted, and Midna followed him to the hotel.

----

Link walked into the hotel room, shutting the door gently. A few doors down, he heard the children playing, not care in the world and it warmed his heart.
Sighing, he slumped on the bed. He looked up and realized Midna was giving him a baffling look. "So?" she asked.
"So?" he repeated. "What- what do you mean?"

"Just yell at me as you did then," Midna stated, folding her arms. A look of shock spread across Link's face. "I certainly will not! Midna, I'm sorry, I didn't mean... I'm just confused. I feel weird."

Midna took in this conversation. This was one of her least favorite things to do, argue. But she couldn't help it by saying more. It was because she could tease, and taunt but she hated serious fights with people she loved. When she used to argue with her parents, even when she was in the right (or was sure she was) she'd still say sorry by at least the end of the night, just to make sure there were no ill feelings. She'd felt too bad.

"Doesn't seem like it..." she muttered, kicking her feet. Link didn't say anything, but he wishes he had, right after a small rock hit him in the shoulder. "Hey!" Link yelled.

"Next time I'll go for your head, maybe fix whatever's wrong with you to believe Ravana's lies."

Link glared at her, eyebrows raised. "You're making a huge deal of nothing at all!" he said. But he knew it wasn't. His dad was Midna's worst enemy for Goddess sake! Did this change her viewpoint on him? His stomach dropped.

"Whatever. It wasn't my idea to sneak into Castle Town tomorrow? Hm?" she raised a sleek eyebrow at him.

Link gritted his teeth. "We need to figure out what's going on- so we don't have to just guess and worry. Plus, maybe we can spend some time..."
"Just one word, beasty- NO." 
"Midna, what's wrong with you!?"

She turned around to spit some dumb, weak insult that would never hurt him anyway, but she bumped into a table, and it started to fall over one weak leg wobbling.
Midna barely reached out and caught it.

There was an awkward silence. Neither knew what to say at all.

Except for Midna of course. "This is stupid."

Link sat up fiercely. "I'm stupid, or this is stupid?" he hissed. "YOU'RE stupid, Link!" Midna yelled, throwing her hands up. "You just like hearing the sound of your own voice," Link muttered, turning away.
"WHAT!?" Midna screeched fiercely.

Link turned and glared at her. "You heard me! You just hate me now, because you found out I'm related to Zant! So now you hate me!" 

This felt odd to both of them, taking some seriousness out of the fight. Link was never a yeller, and though Link and Midna had never had any arguments that were truly serious, Link had still always been silent. Midna was the provoker.

"Link, you could not be farther from the truth," Midna hissed.

"Then why are you so mad?" he asked, quieter now. "Because, you're so gullible-" she stopped. Her head was hung low now. She sighed, and plopped on the bed next to Link. The green-clad hero was utterly puzzled.

"I'm sorry, Link..." 

"What?" he asked. Why was this ending so quick, and why was she apologizing? She had changed her attitude quicker then he could go wolf.
"I just... was upset, b-because I-" she turned her head away, face purple. Link tried to tell her not to be so embarrased, but no words could come out in his bafflement. "Wh-what's wrong?"

"I-I don't know... I just didn't want you to feel hurt over this... I-I still love you as much... more then I ever did, because you come from someone so evil, but your blood is so good, and pure..." she mumbled, not believing what she was saying. 

"It's... okay. And I'm okay. I'm also really sorry I yelled at you- I don't want you to hate me," he said. He meant to word it differently, more intellgient, but that was what came out.
She shrugged and in the split second before she spoke, Link was on edge that she was still upset. "That's alright... I think we just need rest, this whole day has been stressful."
She stared at the floor, but Link looked to her and nodded. "I agree... but..."

The Twilight Princess turned her head to look at him. "What?" she asked, suddenly nervous. He looked to her pouting. "Goodnight, I wove you," he jokingly whined.

Midna stared at him in surprise for several seconds. Then shoved him lightly. "Oh, my GODDESS'S! Go to bed, Link!" 
"Okay, okay, but only if you love me too!" he laughed. The twilit squinted at him, in disbelief. "You really wanna want me to say so, huh?"

He bounced slightly on the bed. "YES!"
"Okay, okay, fine, you child," she chuckled, trying to get comfortable now. "Hehe..." he giggled. 

Midna smiled gently at the man-child, glad this whole mess she didn't even know was true- didn't affect him as much as she was worried it would.


© 2020 Vertigo Cat1111


Author's Note

Vertigo Cat1111
UH, OH, PLOT TWIST. I can't wait, this one is almost finished! Please, please, please check out my new stories that'll be coming out soon too! All rights belong to Nintendo besides my own stuff.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

26 Views
Added on October 24, 2020
Last Updated on October 24, 2020
Tags: Link. Midna. Zelda. Twilight Pri

Legend Of Twilight: Everlasting Dawn


Author

Vertigo Cat1111
Vertigo Cat1111

About
🐱💙My biggest writing inspirations are Lorde, Gabbie Hanna, and Phoebe Bridgers. If you like any of them feel free to talk to me about it! Never be afraid to go on tangents to talk abou.. more..

Writing