Chapter 25: Midna's Uprising

Chapter 25: Midna's Uprising

A Chapter by Vertigo Cat1111
"

Midna has been injured by light beings once again. The difference is, last time they were close to Zelda. Now, though? They're being chased by the Gods and they're days away from Castle Town.

"
Link awoke, and it was hard to focus on anything at all. There was anger and fear bubbling within him, and it felt as if it was absorbing the wolf. But an abrupt voice in his mind questioned where he was at. He bared his teeth in worry there were any enemies around, but he was still struggling to open his eyes. Standing up, a familiar weight on his back groaned. Reality stormed on him, when lightning struck, waking him up.

His eyes opened and the setting around him made the wolf jump. He was in northern Hyrule, and no longer on a mountain or padding his way through a forest.

How had he come here? He turned his head back quickly to be sure it was Midna on his back when he heard a voice. A power angelic voice, that sounded like more than one vocal.

"Take the Twilight Princess to the ruler of Hyrule. Inside Telma's sanctuary, you will find the beginners of the resistance. The Gods are coming. Hurry, Link."

Link's ears were perked, listening as carefully as possible. When he was sure the message was over, anxiety-filled his belly. 

They were coming... Now? He better hurry then. And, this meant the Goddesses' were on his side? Right?

There was savage anger and need for justice within him. It consumed him, nearly, anger pounding in his now wide awake head. He growled, baring his teeth. This animalistic rage would not stop flaring in him, his lupine instincts. It was a need to avenge Midna, though she was still alive. His jaws growled wickedly, but within that, he heard a small little voice. "Link..."

Her voice whipped the memories around in his confused head. He was suddenly desperate. He wanted- needed her to live. He nuzzled her gently, and she groaned again.

"Link... we have to go... to Telma..." 
Link... he, LINK had to get home. And- Telma?

He shook his head, remembering the lady in a split second. How could he forget there? Yes, he had to go to the bar, NOW! He then realized his anger was confusing his mind so much he couldn't focus.

But then he realized the ominous Gods were in fact coming. He felt there angry presence. And so he ran.
He'd save Midna if all hell and heaven collided if Hyrule crumbled if Ilia wanted him home... Midna needed him.

And he needed Midna. 

He ran under the dark raining and dangerous sky.

Luckily he was in familiar grounds. He knew he would not, could not lose Midna. Not like this not at all. He would never ever let her die, and he made that vow now.

He expected to be tired of running as fast as he was, but Midna's life was at stake. 

He made it through this challenge, paws running so fast dust was thrown up behind his paws, settling. But as he ran, some sharp little pebbles, he would usually step past caught his pads, cracking the black part of his parts. He ignored the trickle of blood he left behind and kept running. He sprinted out of northern Hyrule, and he was close to Hyrule Castle now.

His ears perked up when he saw the castle and he froze for a second, but then excitedly bounded forward. It was coming soon. He barked at Midna, to tell her they were almost there, and a mere wheeze fell out of her. It unnerved him more than anything. He turned that fear into determination and blasted forward excitement and anxiety rumbling in his tummy.

Running down the hill, he headed for Castle Town.

---

All the citizens of Castle Town ran and screamed, pulling away from the beast Link was. Each passerby screamed, and Link's aching ears tried to ignore them, wondering why they were so scared when he was merely running away too... But how would he feel if he was there, holding his children's hands?

But right now, he was only slightly afraid of the guards who backed away into corners with their weapons, shivering. As everyone screamed and ran at their own accord, Link went on with his business.

Soon, he twisted down the street that led to the bar, but and tumbled down the stairs nearly. Getting up, he shook his head, then ran down the second pair of stairs.

But he froze, stopping short at the door. What if Zelda wasn't in there? Would she recognize him?

He paced back up the stairs and remembered the window, and the pile of boxes he once placed there in a similar situation. He hopped up them, struggling with a limp Midna on his back, but he reminded himself he'd done this before, and he was nearly there. It'd be faster than the last time.

He wasted no time, jumping in through the window, and the heat of the room brought him some relief. And so did the sight of Zelda chatting with the Resistance.

Telma chortled merrily about something, and Link's heart pounded. Did he just jump down? 

Or would frighten them all, including the two Gorons who he was in no state to deal with. The rain pattered softly outside, but he knew it was truly pouring. With nothing else to do, he jumped down.

As he expected, people screamed and backed up. Telma even threw a frying pan at him, which he barely dodged. Everyone backed into corners, and even the Gorons looked a bit afraid. "What's that on it's back?!" Shad yelled. Everyone was scared of him backing away- except of course... Zelda.

She stepped over to him, and everyone shouted. "Zelda, what're you doing? Get back here!" Telma shouted. Link merely looked hopefully up at Zelda, who picked Midna from his back, and he felt a great weight come off and relieve him.

Midna huffed in pain, and Zelda went on examining her. Link watched on, aware of the other eyes on him. He suddenly heard the loud stomping of a Goron coming over. Link whipped around, but Telma spoke. "Wait a moment," she said sternly.

She placed her hands over Midna, and she radiated a bit of glow, and everyone watched in shock. Link padded over and leaned down. He nuzzled Midna a little bit. She squinted her eyes, barely opening and used her strength to smile at him.

"What the hell?" Ashei spat. 
"Link..." Midna spoke.

Links heart set on fire, and he couldn't stop the warmth filling his veins when she whispered his name, only for him to hear. "Midna," Zelda began, gripping her hand. "You're gonna be okay."
Link settled next to her, and gently laid his head against her, in which she wrapped her tiny arms around him, most specifically his muzzle.

"Zelda," Ashei said again, raising her voice. "Shhh," Telma frowned. Ashei rolled her brown eyes. "Zelda, do you know this beast, and that- creature?

"Yes... It's Link," Zelda confirmed. 

"WHAT?" Ashei yelled and was hit with another response of Telma shushing her when her yell caused both Link and Midna to jump. "Zelda- I don't mean anything by this, but- have you gone out of your ROYAL MIND!?" She shouted.
"Ashei!" Telma frowned. "You know better than that, have some respect!" She defended Zelda but looked a bit confused herself.

"No, Ashei. I don't think I am," Zelda spoke, running a hand down Midna's side. An air of confusion was swarming the room, but Link merely whined at Midna, as everyone mutter, scared. 
"Oh?" Ashei spat suddenly. "Then prove it!" 

"Ashei!" Telma frowned in surprise the girl was acting so disrespectfully towards her princess. Zelda looked up at the woman. At this moment, Link knew, he couldn't switch over back into his human form, with Midna being too weak to use her magic. 

Zelda removed her yellow glowing hand from Midna's side to Link's head, and after a second or so, he immediately felt the familiar feeling of a beast switching back into his fleshy form.

Gasping, he stood up. Something about it felt jolt-like, and he almost fell backward, standing on two legs. Everyone in the bar gasped once again.
"Oh, my Gods!" Telma yelled. "Link, are you okay? How did this happen?" she asked.

Link shook his head, dazed at everything that had happened and was happening. "Woah..." Shad breathed. "Excuse me, what?" Ashei frowned, but her eyes looked more surprised and wide now, rather than disbelieving and sassy.

Her brown eyes stretched wide, and Auru face was a bit surprised, but maybe Link was misreading it, because he also seemed calmer then ever, as if he'd guessed it,  all along. "I-" Telma stuttered again, and a door flung open. Rusl was here. "I'm sorry, am I late-?" He paused, gazing at Link. "Link?" He asked. "Is everything okay?"
Link stared at his father-like figure, completely unsure of what to say. 

That was when Rusl gaze bore down to a helpless imp on the floor. "Link is that-?" He trailed off, still staring. Link wanted to glare at him. He better not be staring because she was a different creature, not human. But he nodded. Link had never specifically brought up Midna to anyone, but he must've known Link was looking for someone, regarding his emotions. Someone he loved...

"So, you found her," he said, finally bringing his own blue gaze to Links. The only thing he found he could do, was nod slightly. There was silence until Shad spoke. "Excuse me? What's going on?" He asked. "Obviously, something's been going on, that we have no idea about, since-" he paused, then almost looked accusingly at Link. "Since when, Link?" he asked.

Link turned down to Zelda, who was still healing Midna it seemed. She nodded. "We should tell them Link. We're gonna have to anyway, if we wanna survive."

Link turned to his friends, he'd been lying to since he met them. This was gonna be a long night.

-----

"Why didn't you ever tell us?" Ashei spat suddenly. "Do you not trust us, or something?" she asked, raising a thick eyebrow. "No, no," Link shook his hands, "it's nothing like that, I was just worried, about the safety of Midna and such, though you might-"

"Might WHAT? Link?" She growled. "Hey, Ashei, calm down," Telma said. "He told us now, and I'm sure there's a reason he-"
"Won't!" She shouted. "You didn't tell us, because, for some reason, you don't trust us! Maybe we shouldn't trust you!" she shouted, then paused. The woman turned to Telma. "Hey, we should kick him out," "Wha-" "C'mon, it's your bar, do something about him! You shouldn't tolerate liars!" she said. "Ashei, I-"

"What?" she hissed. "Ashei, calm down," Telma said, raising her voice a bit. "He had his reasons, and we should forgive him for that," the woman frowned. "Yes," Auru said, looking thoughtful. "But... what exactly we're your reasons, your motives?" He asked. 

And Link was thankful it was ever so softer then Ashei's demands. "I wasn't exactly sure how you'd feel if your views on Twilit's were- like... bad," he mumbled, and when he did, he heard Midna let out a grumpy, 'pah,' of disapproving matter. 

Link smiled when he heard it, and swore a few other giggled too. "And... I needed to protect Midna."

"Because she was protecting us?" Rusl asked kindly. Link wasn't sure how to answer. "Well, not... not just that. She's my greatest friend and-"
"What about that blonde, pretty friend back in Ordon?" Shad raised an eyebrow. 

Link sighed. They were putting him in an uncomfortable situation, but he had to be honest. "Well, Midna is- like I said, my greatest friend, no question about it, but Ilia's a good friend too." 

"So you put Hyrule- ALL of us in danger-" Ashei emphasized, "for a friend?" She folded her arms, tighter then should be possible. "Well, see, I didn't think this would happen-" 

"But you did it," she frowned. Suddenly an erupting screech came from the floor. "RrrrrrraAAAAH!" Midna wailed. "Let the poor man talk, you loud-mouthed jibber-jabber!" She yelled, turned away.

Link smiled. "You're feeling better, Midna?" he asked. She nodded silently, turned away. Relief filled his heart. 

"Midna is a rather pretty name," Rusl commented, as Link wondered why they're always felt as if there was a restriction against telling people about Midna, about the Twilight Realm. Maybe the Gods had... subconsciously put this restriction over his mind. He'd never thought of that... Had he made up those reasons?
Confused with himself, he shook his head. "It's a beautiful name," he put out honestly.

"It really is," Telma smiled. 

Link blushed and turned away from Telma's all-knowing eye. There was a pause of silence, and suddenly Zelda nodded. "She's gonna be alright," the princess said. Turning to Telma she asked, "do you have any sleeping beds for her, perhaps...?"
Telma nodded immediately. 
 
"Oh yeah, of course..." she said. "Would you like me to take her up there?" the woman asked. "I really don't wanna hurt her,"
"Can I-" Link stuttered, but Zelda already held her. "She'll- we'll sleep here overnight, but tomorrow, hopefully, Midna will be strong enough to travel to Kakariko. It's too dangerous for all of us here."

Everyone silently nodded, and Link stood confused. "Too- dangerous? Does this have to d-do with those rioting people, Princess?" Link asked nervously. "Please, call me Zelda. You're all my friends here. But yes... it does."

"Something in them really... exploded recently. Not too soon after you left, actually," Zelda continued, handing Midna over to Link, who seemed sound asleep.

"I don't quite understand why, but- not all of them are against me."
Link nodded, his brain ticking. "So, that's why when I came here, the streets were so full," Link said, holding Midna tight and close to his warm chest. Zelda nodded silently, and the room was suddenly quiet. 

The only sound made was Midna's heavy breathing and the pitter-patter of rain.
"Gee, I thought they'd gone home by now," Telma spoke up. Link shuffled uncomfortably. "So, what exactly is going on?" Rusl asked. Link nearly sighed but held his breath. He turned to Ashei, who was about to open her mouth. With bags under his eyes, he glared at the rude woman.

"Sorry, Rusl. I'm sure Shad can explain it, or even Ashei," he said turning to his father-like figure. He turned to the stairs and now turned his head to Telma. "Is anywhere okay?" He asked.

She nodded. "Anywhere. No one's here as far as I know unless we have a squatter," she chuckled, probably hoping to lighten the room. Link smiled at her, and said, "don't worry, my sword's still on me."

He trudged upstairs, as he did, he heard Rusl say "Sooo...?" then heard Ashei sigh in response. In Link's exhaustion, he smirked a bit. Damn, he didn't know what crawled up her and died, because she was sassy, independent but never so angry. Maybe what he did was out of line, more then he thought, in his exhaustion, but... that also didn't give reason to why the others seemed calm...

Forget Ashei, he shook his head. She could deal with her own problems, if she was so selfish to yell and scream like a ten-year-old while someone was in serious danger, life threatened, as far as Link was concerned, she could deal with it herself.

Making it into the dark hallway, he went for a middle right room. Luckily, as Telma had said, it was free and empty in there. Sighing in delirious exhaustion, he made his way through the darkroom and laid Midna gently as he could on the bed. She snored a bit, turning it into a coo, and then mumbled his name. "Mm, Link..." she muttered.
Link's face lit up, and he grinned. Suddenly he remembered what happened earlier that night.

It felt like weeks, months ago. Now he was very unsure whether to smile or not.
Shuffling, he felt his eyes drooping. Goddesses he was exhausted yet also hungry. But... food could wait till the morning. And not to mention they even had a big morning ahead of them. He'd be traveling again with Midna, and he was back in familiar Hyrule...

Midna... Link's very heart convulsed at the thought of her, unnerved by what would happen between them next. Maybe she hated him? After all, he had been the one to kiss her. Rather than turn around and go downstairs, he stood where he was, falling asleep on his feet. Slightly embarrassed though no one was there, he turned his head away from Midna, sudden tears at the bay of his eyes.

What if he ruined everything?

Sighing heavily again, he dropped next to Midnas bed and just thought. Thank god she was okay. If she hadn't been, it would've been all his fault, and he would've never forgiven himself. And speaking of which, had they come because what he'd done? 

Or did they sense the Twilight Sword had been pulled and released? And wait- weren't they able to travel out of Hyrule, and so far? Perhaps the Mountain was a very spiritual area...
Remembering Harold, ideas suddenly started bouncing around in his head.

No, no... It was time for him to rest, and find his own room. He couldn't fall asleep here. He pulled himself up and knew his thoughts may be unresolved till the morning, and that was truly the worst feeling. But he pushed them away for now. What needed to be resolved most, had simply been.
Midna was okay.

As he turned to her, he smiled, despite his heavy head. 

And that was all that mattered.

Walking out of the room, he shut the door, and Midna's snores quieted. He glanced out the window, where it stormed all across Hyrule. He, and two princesses, and even maybe a possible upcoming Resistance may be rebelling against whats 'right', but the rain comforted him.

The sky was... dark... But free of the Gods.

For now.


© 2020 Vertigo Cat1111


Author's Note

Vertigo Cat1111
Please review and tell me what you think! And yes, the Resistance is here. But they're gonna have to get bigger, right?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

Stats

16 Views
Added on October 13, 2020
Last Updated on October 13, 2020
Tags: Link. Midna. Zelda. Twilight Pri

Legend Of Twilight: Everlasting Dawn


Author

Vertigo Cat1111
Vertigo Cat1111

About
🐱💙My biggest writing inspirations are Lorde, Gabbie Hanna, and Phoebe Bridgers. If you like any of them feel free to talk to me about it! Never be afraid to go on tangents to talk abou.. more..

Writing