Chapter 30

Chapter 30

A Chapter by Tina Kline
"

Louise suffers disappointment and confusion.

"

      I walked back through the Douglas Fir and Broadleaf Maple forest with Mr. Black. Coyotes sang from some where nearby. Owls called back and forth in the shadowy canopy above. It was warm without the cooling benefit of a breeze.

      I didn't know what to think. I was alone with Mr. Black. Pine had gone off somewhere. I assumed back to our Village. Mr. Stalker had taken Miss Snow off with him. Once again I was assuming back to the Village.

     Cerise went off with Mr. Stonevalley. I assumed back to their village. I briefly wondered what Mr. Stonevalley and one of his Wolf People were doing here. How did they know about our meeting?

     Miss Rose scattered as soon as she could the instant Mr. Black had shown up. Who could blame her? I didn't, that's for sure.

     How did Mr. Black know? I had kept my mind blocked so he couldn't read my thoughts. Not good enough, I supposed.

     So, all was lost for Michar and Miss Snow. I didn't want to think about that anymore.

     I felt like a failure and that hurt. I felt sick.

     We didn't talk as we walked through the forest back to the Village. We went in our Human Forms so it took a little longer. At one point Mr. Black reached out and took my hand.

     I fought the impulse to jerk my hand away but I didn't. What good would it do?

I had to live here in this world now. I knew there would be no returning to the Human World to live as a werewolf of human myth and legend like I had once believed.

     How naïve and childish I had been then. But I had been much younger in my werewolf nature. And why would I want to leave? These were just foolish thoughts born of my upset and disappointment.

    I sighed.

    We kept walking in silence.

    Daylight was sweeping across the Village, the shadowy forest and my world as Mr. Black and I reached the village.

    All seemed normal as we stepped out of the forest and headed toward our house.

    Maple was waiting at the door for us. She smiled a happy smile of greeting at us as we came up the steps to the door. “They're all asleep Mr. Black.” She said.

     “Thank you Maple. As always I appreciate your help at a moments notice.” Mr. Black said.

     “I'm happy to be of help. Keeps me feeling useful.” Maple said, beaming at Mr. Black who was also her Pack Leader.

     “Maybe soon we'll get our lives in order and won't keep needing you at a moments notice. And I too, thank you Maple.” I said then walked past her into the house.

     “Bye Maple.” said Mr. Black. “We are grateful.” and Mr. Black followed me in.

      I heard Maple as she walked off into the Village to her home.

     Armand, Miss Starfire and Mr. Hunter were all asleep in their beds. A quick check told me they were all just fine.

     I went back into the living room. Mr. Black was waiting for me on the couch. He watched me out of his off white eyes. I knew there was no avoiding this so I sat down beside him on the couch.

     I pushed thoughts of Michar and Miss Snow out of my mind. This had been one sorry affair, I thought.

     Mr. Black turned his head to look at me. “Well, Louise?”

     I looked at him looking at me. “You wouldn't listen to me earlier.”

     “I didn't want to.”

     “Why listen to me now?”

     I saw something like anger flash for a moment in his eyes. Then he was smiling. And the smile went to his off white eyes making them sparkle.

     “My sweet plaything, wanting to change her world to suit her.”

     I didn't know what to make of his behavior. I was feeling upset and sick inside.     And he was smiling and genuinely in a good mood after that one moment of anger.

     I sighed. “Well, I didn't change anything.”

     Mr. Black chuckled. “Smile Louise. Don't be so somber.”

     I let out a loud rush of air. “I don't understand.” I said.

     “What's there to understand?”

     “Miss Snow is devastated. She is going to be broken because Michar is going to die.”

     “Is that what this is all about? What that gathering of females was all about? How surprised I was to see you with Miss Rose.” He said, smiling.

     I knew he didn't at all mean what he was saying. I started to get up but he grabbed me by the arm and pulled me back down.

     “And where do you think you're going?”

     “No where. I was just going to pace.”

     “Don't.” Mr. Black said.

     “Michar is going to die.” I said in a tired voice. “How am I going to help Miss Snow to deal with this?”

     “Miss Snow has been alive a very long time. This is not the first love she's lost.”

     “That's not nice.”

     Mr. Black chuckled.

     “What's going on?” I asked. “Why is this so amusing to you?”

     “I do love you Louise.” Mr. Black said suddenly.

     I wasn't expecting to hear him say that. I looked at him. He had a serious look on his face now.

     “You do? You do love me Mr. Black?”

     “I do.”

     “Then why wouldn't you help Michar?”

     “I did. I explained to the Pack and Mr. Stonevalley's Wolf People why Michar betrayed his People and allowed a vote. They chose the Lesser Punishment and that was what Michar received. I did what you wanted Louise. I did what you asked me to do.”

     That was true. I couldn't deny it. He had done what I wanted.

     “But what about now? Michar needs our help again. He was defenseless when Miss Rose's Pack picked him up.”

     “How many times does Michar need rescuing? How many times must this Pack come to his rescue?”

     “As many times as necessary for Miss Snow's sake.”

     Mr. Black laughed. Then he threw back his head and gave into his laughter. But I didn't laugh. I didn't at all see what was so funny.

     “My sweet Louise. You are a force to be reckoned with. You are determined to change Pack Traditions, aren't you?”

     I didn't smile at all when I answered. “Just the ones that aren't any good.”





© 2010 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Louise didn't really get anywhere with Mr. Black. Hopefully that will change or some other miracle helps Michar. I wasn't sure if Mr. Black had seen Miss Rose but he did and I'm surprised he wasn't more upset at Louise for that. She was the reason Miss Rose was removed from their pack. I agree with Evan I have no idea what is going to happen next. My thoughts are in all different directions. Love that. Such a great story.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I'm wondering what is up with Mr. Black. He's a hard one to figure out. What is going to happen to Michar? The other Pack will probably tear him apart.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great mystery here. Awesome book I repeat myself. But it is!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Louise didn't really get anywhere with Mr. Black. Hopefully that will change or some other miracle helps Michar. I wasn't sure if Mr. Black had seen Miss Rose but he did and I'm surprised he wasn't more upset at Louise for that. She was the reason Miss Rose was removed from their pack. I agree with Evan I have no idea what is going to happen next. My thoughts are in all different directions. Love that. Such a great story.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Well... At least he took the time to listen... Not very well I might add.
... This is rare... I suddenly can't seem to foresee any events that might happen later in your story... lol.
Fantastic story so far.

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

528 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 3, 2010
Last Updated on February 3, 2010


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 16 Chapter 16

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 18 Chapter 18

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 25 Chapter 25

A Chapter by Tina Kline