Fifty-One- Ash

Fifty-One- Ash

A Chapter by Sophie

Chapter 51


Ash


Being burned was weird, because I wasn't expecting it, and it didn't really hurt, like my nerves weren't programmed to process that sensation. But the dragon healed me and we just hung around for a bit. Then he told me it was time to go back. It was really strange at how easy it was, I'm just glad I was wrong about the part where we were being killed.

I fall into dreams without any images, just swirling emotions like: rejection, hopelessness, confusion, pity... All from the past few days.


Everyone is awkward, and its really hard to be around Wren and Marina or Bry and Jasper, they're all love-dovey and it just reminds me of Air. Reminds me of how she ran off after I kissed her. Ray and Nox aren't talking, like, more than usual, and if you're ever near both of them at the same time, it's like solid awkward, like you could hold it and say, “This is what awkward looks like.”

I wonder if that's what it's like with Air and I, because no one comes near either of us if we're close to each other. Bry shoots me pitying glances every now and then, and I want to know what Airborne said to her that night.

I'm looking around in bushes for berries with Marina when a thorn pricks me.

“Mother hugger.” I mutter.

“What?” Marina asks, laughing.

“Well, instead of swearing, I say 'mother hugger' its funnier.” I say.

“I think you're the first boy who has ever not taken an opportunity to swear. Ever.” She says, using a hand motion at the end. The drop of blood that had squeezed from the tip of my finger rises and Marina's eyes widen.

“Go ahead, try again.” I say, just as curious. She raises her hand and a little stream of blood follows it, but she quickly guides it back into my finger as she sees me wince.

“That's so weird, blood isn't water.”

“Isn't it like, 75 percent or something?” I don't pay attention in health class.

“Yeah... Hey, would you mind being a test subject again?” She asks.

“Sure. What do you want me to do?” I ask.

“Just... stand up.” She says, looking nervous. I stand up and she puts both hands out in front of her, and suddenly, everything inside me stops. I feel my blood stop in it's tracks. It hurts. It hurts really bad, but I can't move to say anything about it. I'm like a statue. Marina raises her hands, a lot of the blood rushes to my head, but continues to rise. I lift into the air. My head pounds and I manages to let out a strangled cry, and she immediately drops me.

You know how when you've been lying on one arm for a while and it goes numb, and then you move and all the blood pumps back into it and it hurts like hell? Well imagine that, times ten, and in your whole body. I groan as I lay on the forest floor.

“That really hurts.” I cough.

“I'm sorry!” She exclaims with a little southern accent.


We return to the camp empty handed, there were no berries, but we tell them of our discovery. We've run out of food and we're all starved.

“Do you think we could go into a nearby town, get some food? I have money.” Ray groans after we hear her stomach make a very loud whale's song.

“I don't see why not.” Wren shrugs.

“Sure, why don't we just all try to look human.” Bry says. And a few of us wince, I know I'm sensitive about that word now. I want to know what I am. “Sorry.” Bry mumbles, realizing what she said.

We spend the next few hours washing in the stream, putting on not ripped and dirty clothes, the girls brush their hair and put on make up, and we set off for a town.

It takes a bit of walking, but eventually we reach a town. It's so empty, and so quiet. The only sound is a few car alarms. And that's alarming. (See what I did there?) We walk farther down the road, and I notice a car in flames, and a few scorched houses and tree posts.

We walk into a convenience store, the news on.

“An epidemic is arising.” The news reporter starts. “Entire towns, country wide are becoming ghost towns. All of the people: gone. At the scenes there are signs of fire and struggle, as well as a few bodies. This is believed to have all started with eight teenagers in Maine, only a few weeks after the local high school burnt down.” Our pictures appear on the screen, except for Nox, “The eighth is a male and described with black hair, black eyes, about 150 pounds, and about 6 feet tall. Then, the next disappearance was a wedding in California, the location was kept a secret to those who weren't able to attend. None of the over 100 people have been found. Then a couple on a camping trip disappeared and were never seen again. Now entire towns are missing, and there's no explanation. No trace. I am Mary Higgins, and this is the-” Then she screams as a Fire Child grins into the camera, grabs her, and disappears.

“Raids. They do it when they need to create more creatures.” Bry says.

“But so many?” Wren asks.

“Ray did blow up the head quarters...” Jasper says.

“This is not my fault!” Ray's eyes widen, tears threatening to spill over. We walk out of the store in a daze, holding bags of food. We're still hungry. We did leave some cash though, we felt bad about stealing. We're walking back to camp when Airborne stops dead and claps a hand over her mouth, holding in a sob. She bends down and picks up a Raggedy Ann doll, it's worn and obviously loved. The ends of its orange hair is singed.

Tears spill over Airborne's hand.

“Kids are taken too.” Bry says, her voice catching. Then Airborne regains her composure and lifts her head solemnly.

“We need to fight back.”



© 2012 Sophie


Author's Note

Sophie
reviews please!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ugh bry should tell Ash what Air said...but I know she won't. That's another thing we can add to the memories lists, my swearing problem. Anyways good chapter, I think Ash is my favorite character. Also! I'm thinking you might bring families into this...maybe??

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love how this chapter ends. Great visual. (Nox is very skinny. 150 lbs for a 6 foot tall guy is extremely thin)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sophie

11 Years Ago

really? What's a good weight? I was debating for like 10 minutes :P
Wild Willow Blue

11 Years Ago

:D Well, I would say about 180-195 for a man who is 6 feet tall. That's still thin, but a very healt.. read more
Sophie

11 Years Ago

okay, thanks! I'll fix that :P
Ugh bry should tell Ash what Air said...but I know she won't. That's another thing we can add to the memories lists, my swearing problem. Anyways good chapter, I think Ash is my favorite character. Also! I'm thinking you might bring families into this...maybe??

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

An interesting new discovery with Marina's power when it comes to blood.
I can see a VERY interesting part coming ahead~ I love how the news makes it sound as if the 8 kids are the bad guys instead.

remind me again, how old is everyone now?

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sophie

11 Years Ago

They're all either 17 or 18, going into Senior year
Sylvana

11 Years Ago

Alright, thanks ^-^
Sophie

11 Years Ago

no problem :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

588 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 7, 2012
Last Updated on July 7, 2012

We Are the Children


Author

Sophie
Sophie

-, MA



About
I'm 16 in my sophomore year of high school, I started on this site when i was 14, took about a year break and now i might be back, im just fixing my description because i was annoying as f**k last yea.. more..

Writing
untitled untitled

A Poem by Sophie