Forty-One- Marina

Forty-One- Marina

A Chapter by Sophie
"

new and improved chapter 41!

"

Chapter 41


Marina


Tomorrow we plan to search for Ray, it's been two days since the phoenix came and Bry has just recovered from her encounter with Ariel. It's night now, and I can't sleep again. But Wren's arms are loose around me and his breathing is deep and rhythmic. Carefully, so I don't disturb him, I wriggle out of the sleeping bag and go sit by the stream.

I take off my shoes I put on to avoid any bugs in the grass walking over here and stick my feet in the water. Then I take off my necklace my parents gave me last year for my birthday in case it got splashed or something. I relax in the moonlight, just enjoying the feel of the cool water rushing against my skin.

I look down at my reflection in the water. I was always told I looked like my mother, but I'd never noticed. I search my image for a resemblance. Her hair was darker than mine, dirty blonde instead of beach blonde, I have her nose, small, straight, and thin, her hair was much curlier though, more corkscrew than spirals, my eyes are my fathers though: sea green then blue in fluorescent lights. My mouth is my own, it seems, far to full to be my mothers, and my dad didn't have a cupid's bow, and I do. I look closer, maybe I can actually see them, but something shimmers underneath and I look closer. A different face smiles up at me. I jump back and pull my feet out of the water, but spindly grey hands with long nails grab one ankle. I open my mouth to scream, but before any sound can escape me a black tentacle reaches up and slaps over my mouth. It feels like solid fire is touching me wherever the monster does.

I will the water to help me, but this creature being of the water as well, nothing happens.

More tentacles wrap around me and start to pull. As I'm dragged into the water, I write help in the mud with my finger. I continue to struggle but my wrists and ankles are bound by living ropes, my mouth still covered, and there's nothing I can do but hope.

The monster pulls me under the water completely and I can fully see it. So picture Ursula from the little mermaid, except the human part is a really, really hot guy. He smiles and winks at me, then wraps a tentacle around my waist, pulling me to him. I smile in content, but then realize the burning where the tentacle is is not from his touch, but an actual burning. I struggle again, my hands having been released, and realize another burning, one in my lungs, in need of oxygen. I will my gills to appear but her wraps a tentacle around my neck, prohibiting access of oxygen.

Then strong fingers wrap around my wrists, with callouses on the tips of each finger, the type of callouses you get from guitar. Wren. I see his face distorted by the water, but from what I can tell, he is screaming and possibly crying. Black spots swim in front of my eyes as the creature cradles me with his tentacles, and then the feeling of water rushing at super fast speeds, and then nothing.


I wake up to fingers stroking my face, the fingers of the monster. Out of the water, his hands are gnarled and grey, but under they appear to be normal human hands, but it shimmers and underneath you can just make out the outline of his real hands. He leans down to me as if he's going to kiss me, but then smiles, revealing piranha like teeth. Then pulls back and swims away.

I take in my surroundings. I open my mouth and salt water floods it. I'm in the ocean. In a house. Beneath me is a large circular bed out of a fairy tale, the clam shell fantasy. I'm in mermaid form. I feel like Ariel. (The mermaid, not Bry's deranged twin.) Oh! Briar-Rose from Sleeping Beauty and Ariel from the Little Mermaid... I just got that.

The walls around me are intricate and seem to be made of white stone. The only furniture other than the bed is a mirror.

The monster comes over and sits on the bed, where I've sat up. He hands me a glass of some beverage that seems to be able to exist underwater, but when he's not looking I turn over the glass and it dissipates into the water.

How do I get out of here, and more importantly, how do I find my way back to the others?



© 2012 Sophie


Author's Note

Sophie
reviews please! Sorry it's so short.
Why did no one tell me the title was all wrong?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I hope they find at least one of the girls.

Posted 11 Years Ago


It's really good, busy, but it feels rushed. I don't know why, but this chapter feels like a story separate from the whole book; maybe because you said "it's been two days since.." or maybe because it's just Marina in this chapter. I like it though, don't get me wrong.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Hi Sophie,
You certainly have a vivid imagination. Good use of description, plenty of action. I like the way you have cliff hangers to keep the story going. Minor point, just need to check your grammar and spelling, but I'm sure you'll catch all that when you edit.
Keep it going.
Regards
Shawlyn

Posted 11 Years Ago


fun

Posted 11 Years Ago


I think it could have used a little more detail, but I really like the idea of all the "fairy-tale" creatures coming in to play. I want to know what happens next!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

498 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 26, 2012
Last Updated on June 26, 2012

We Are the Children


Author

Sophie
Sophie

-, MA



About
I'm 16 in my sophomore year of high school, I started on this site when i was 14, took about a year break and now i might be back, im just fixing my description because i was annoying as f**k last yea.. more..

Writing
untitled untitled

A Poem by Sophie