Sixty-Airborne

Sixty-Airborne

A Chapter by Sophie

Chapter 60


Airborne


How did I not notice Ray's... disfigured-ness when I hugged her? Didn't it hurt when we jumped up and down? How did I not notice all the blood on me? I guess I just thought it was my own. I feel so horrible, like it was our fault for what happened.

I can't imagine how Nox must feel, because they were fighting together when she got all her injuries. Nox comes out of her hospital room. He won't look at us.

“How is she taking it?” Marina asks. He just shakes his head. “She told me to leave so she could cry.”

Ray took most of the injuries, she was the only one who was really bad. I had to get stitches on my arm, and Ash broke his finger, but that was from a high-fiving mishap with Wren. The doctors were very... confused as to how our injuries came to be, or rather, why we were fighting the monsters. Ash had to give them a demonstration, and they were a little too interested, so Nox braved the blood and gore and watched the doctors operate on Ray to make sure they didn't dissect her.

As we sit there in silence, we hear the first wail from Ray's room. Think about something else, think about something else...

The doctors were kind of pissed when Wren and Marina healed most of our burns and Ash's finger, but we thought it was funny. We made the doctors swear to secrecy of our abilities because we didn't want it to get out, though our whole town will never look at us the same. A friendly acquaintance from school already came up to me and asked for a demonstration, at which I didn't know what to say, so I flew away. I'm pretty sure that was demonstration enough.

Nox gets up roughly as another sob sounds from behind the door and walks down the hallway and through the double doors. Jasper gets up silently and follows him. Something about having loved the same girl gave them a bond. Eventually, none of us can stand it anymore, and we walk down the the cafeteria and eat in silence.

After a few minutes the door opens, and a wheelchair is rolled in by a doctor, with Ray sitting in it.

“You're eating without me?” She says, sounding mock offended. It's so hard not to stare at the scars and burns patching the left side of her body, at the bandaged stump where her arm would have begun from her shoulder.

“So... pretending nothing's different isn't the way to go?” She says when we don't say anything.

We nod. She carefully spoons soup into her mouth, trying not to open the left side of her mouth too far. Her hand is visibly shaking.

“I was a lefty.” She explains, putting down the spoon in frustration. “I'm, uh, I'm really not that hungry.” Nox gets up from his seat and taps me on the shoulder, “Can I sit there?” He asks. I nod and move to his spot. He picks up her spoon and feeds her the soup. We all look away, not wanting to intrude, I guess. We finish eating and Nox takes Ray back to her room.

“I really hope it works.” Jasper says.

“I know, we can't fight without one member.” Bry agrees.

“Hey, she's still alive, isn't she? We still have our eighth member.” I say.

“It's true, but only sort of, and you know it.” Wren argues. I shrug.

“Why are we waiting for her to try? She's obviously upset, why not see if we can fix it?” Marina says.

“I really don't see why not, I think the doctors just want us to stay, and we can't afford that.” Bry says. We go up to Ray's room and knock on the door.

“Come in.” Bry opens the door and pokes her head in.

“Hi, we just had an idea.”

“We were actually just talking about that, I want to try.” Ray nods. We all squeeze into the room.

“Hey, we met in a hospital.” Wren whispers to Marina.

“Let's not talk about it.” Marina laughs, “Not the best memory I have. I can't say I enjoyed being sedated by police.”

Ray stands up and leans on Nox. She wobbles and I rush over, my shoulder is the perfect height for steadying yourself she rests her hand on my, closes her eyes and melts. We turn off the lights so we can see her, even only as a faint white cloud.

“Okay,” We hear her whisper-y voice, “Get ready to catch me if it doesn't work.” She starts to appear, thankfully in her underwear and bra, with two arms, two eyes, two ears, and two legs, but she falls anyway. Nox catches her and she looks up in happiness. There are no more scars and burns on her face but for the main one that still tugs down the corner of her mouth, but it's healed.

“Can you sit me down?” She asks Nox. He guides her into the wheel chair just as the doctor walks in.

“What the hell!?” The doctor exclaims in a very non-doctor like manner. He regains his composure and asks a nurse for a hospital gown. Ray grins at him, seems to notice her mouth is still off, but doesn't complain.

“Well, why don't we see how everything's working now that its... back.” He says.

“Can you cover your right eye please and tell me what you see?” She lifts up her right hand and covers her right eye, I notice she doesn't use her left, and she frowns slightly.

“Um... it's really, really blurry.”

“How many fingers am I holding up?” Ash asks, holding up his middle finger. Both the doctor and Ray look at him with a look of disapproval, and I try not to laugh at his look of disappointment.

“One.” Ray answers.

“Okay, you'll probably need glasses, but your vision might come back, I don't know how this will work, because it's never happened before. Now can you wiggle your fingers for me?”

Ray looks down at new left hand (which is lacking a tan and nail polish) in concentration. After about a minute, her fingers lift the slightest bit and then fall back down. Ray pants in exhaustion. I let out the breath I hadn't realized I was holding.

“Okay, can you wiggle your toes?” The doctor asks. Again there's the struggle but they twitch.

“Do you mind?” He asks, reaching for her hand. She shakes her head and he bends her fingers in different directions.

“They're stiff, so that, combined with your body needing to rework itself, you will get most of your abilities back in time. For now, I suppose you're free to go I'll start the paperwork.” A grin spreads itself on Ray's face, slightly obstructed by the scar. The doctor leaves. Nox leans down and kisses her.

“Right, I've been meaning to ask, are you two...” Ash asks when the break apart, pointing to each of them and making a 'together' hand motion. They shrug, and Ray laughs.

“Can I have a mirror?” She asks. We look around, but her mom left with the doctor to do stuff. Marina makes a flat sheet of ice and holds it up for Ray. She inspects the scar that runs from her temple to just below her mouth.

“I like it.” She decides, “It gives me character.” She smiles, but I can see she's still a little upset, but completely grateful.

Her mom comes back in and hugs her, then goes to wheel her.

“But we're not allowed to have the wheelchair...” Ray protests.

“Well, I can't carry you.”

“I got this.” Nox says and scoops her up. She laughs. I'm sure its been a while since there was laughter in this part of the hospital. We get to town by various means of transportation, and when we get there we finally take in the scene. The town isn't completely destroyed, a few buildings burned down though, and bodies of both Sine and human. Behind me I hear Wren take a huge intake of breath. I turn around. He's stopped and he's staring at a particular body. A dog.

Wren walks slowly over to it and presses a hand to his fur.

“He's alive, guys, he's alive. Marina, you gotta help me.” He says, his hands roaming over the dog, trying to find it's injuries. Marina kneels down beside him and soon, the dogs eyes open and his tongue lolls out, and after a few minutes he's on his feet, licking Wren everywhere.



© 2012 Sophie


Author's Note

Sophie
I would have killed off the dog and made everyone depressed like i planned on...
but I couldn't do it! It was too sad... Killing Marina or Ray when the time came, I could've handled, but that didn;t go well with the plot. But animals? Much harder to kill.
reviews please!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"Get over it, man. It's just a dog," Nox said flippantly. Wren looked like he wanted to beat the s**t out of him, but his eyes strayed back to the bloody mound of fur on the charred ground. :P

Good chapter, still wishing that two of your characters would get together and from Double A....

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amanda

11 Years Ago

Just at least make it less awkward between them please? :P and you don't have to change it, i was ju.. read more
Sophie

11 Years Ago

ahh
and I don't know exactly what's going to happen...
Amanda

11 Years Ago

yes you do >:P




Reviews

Hey sophie! great chapter! :D I would have killed the dog tho, just cuz. yep, I'm that evil. >:) And You should kill one of the characters or something! My bet's on Jasper... or Bry, because she got the group together to start with. sorry about being so 'kill something!'. I'm in a mood for killing, and I haven;t the slightest Idea why... :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Abbie

11 Years Ago

:P idiota ya tenías cinco años? He estado tomando desde el quinto grado, y sólo voy a octavo
read more
Sophie

11 Years Ago

I'm not replying!
Abbie

11 Years Ago

muahahahaha! you don't even know what I said! :P go on google translate if you wanna know! XD
No! Killing anything right now, would be terror! I think killing off one of the members later on, in a bigger battle maybe, is acceptable ( ;P ). But no animals. I almost choked thinking that the dog would have been dead! Very well written. (I'm glad all her parts came back.)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sophie

11 Years Ago

Everyone's telling me to kill someone off, but I can't do that! Sure it would be a good twist, but t.. read more
Wild Willow Blue

11 Years Ago

True, true. But you don't have to write in a depression. If you do kill someone off, which I think y.. read more
Sophie

11 Years Ago

lol thanks :)
"Get over it, man. It's just a dog," Nox said flippantly. Wren looked like he wanted to beat the s**t out of him, but his eyes strayed back to the bloody mound of fur on the charred ground. :P

Good chapter, still wishing that two of your characters would get together and from Double A....

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amanda

11 Years Ago

Just at least make it less awkward between them please? :P and you don't have to change it, i was ju.. read more
Sophie

11 Years Ago

ahh
and I don't know exactly what's going to happen...
Amanda

11 Years Ago

yes you do >:P


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

612 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 31, 2012
Last Updated on July 31, 2012

We Are the Children


Author

Sophie
Sophie

-, MA



About
I'm 16 in my sophomore year of high school, I started on this site when i was 14, took about a year break and now i might be back, im just fixing my description because i was annoying as f**k last yea.. more..

Writing
untitled untitled

A Poem by Sophie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Fifty-Nine- Ray Fifty-Nine- Ray

A Chapter by Sophie


Thirty-Six- Ray Thirty-Six- Ray

A Chapter by Sophie


Forty-Five- Ray Forty-Five- Ray

A Chapter by Sophie


Sixty-Two- Jasper Sixty-Two- Jasper

A Chapter by Sophie