Sixty-Five- Airborne

Sixty-Five- Airborne

A Chapter by Sophie
"

finally! I had the woooorst case of writer's block that started after I wrote the word 'demonstration' for the last time.

"

Chapter 65


Airborne


When I get home from Bry's I open my laptop and check Facebook. I have twenty-eight notifications. I click on them and the tab slides down, all wall posts. I start on the first one, its one of the people I've never said a word to, one of the popular people: Oh my god, what you did is amazing, thank you so much.

And another one: Thank you, you saved my little sister.

They are all like that, almost, there's a few calling me an 'abomination' or a 'freak', some telling me I should die, but I over look those.

I hear the doorbell ring and my dad goes to open it, “Ash, Air, you have a few visitors!” He calls. I close my laptop, quickly run my fingers through my hair, wishing I had time to change out of pj's, but I don't. I open the door to my room and walk out. There's a group of kids from school standing in the doorway. I look at Ash for an explanation, but he just shrugs.

“Hi.” I greet them.

“We just really wanted to say thank you, you guys saved our families and us personally.” One girl, Tyra, says.

“It's amazing, really, Ash, you put out the fire in my dad's store.” Someone else says, “With your mind.”

“It's no problem.” He says, scratching the back of his neck and looking awkward.

“When you guys left, everyone thought you ran away or were kidnapped or something, but to find out you're actually trying to save the world with magic powers... its so cool.” Another girl, Illiana, says, batting er eyelashes at Ash,obviously flirting. I can't help but want to blow her head off.

“Could we see the powers?” A guy asks. Ash and I look at each other and shrug, “Sure.” He says.

“But outside, I'd rather him not burn my apartment down, you know?” I say, everyone laughs. It wasn't that funny... This is so weird. We go down the stairs and to the street, where down the block I can see some kids at Wren's house, ringing the doorbell and whispering excitedly.

“What's going on?” I ask.

“Oh, well, everyone is just so grateful, and honestly really curious too, so we kind of all wanted to see a demonstration, and then give you guys something. We're also thinking about organizing something with the town, like a celebration or something.” Tyra explains, waving the group over which now has a confused Wren and Marina in their clutches.

“So... what do you want to see?” Ash asks.

“How did you get to... wherever you went?” Someone pipes up.

“We went to California.” Marina informs her. Ash kicks off his shoes and I focus on rising into the air. Wren shrinks down and feathers grow on his skin, and soon he's a hawk. And Marina's gone, turned to water vapor. Ash and I rise up, to give the fire that streams out of his feet more room so it doesn't burn the grass.

“Where'd Marina go?” Someone asks.

“Right here!” We hear her reply, she's giggling, “I'm water vapor.”

“That's so cool.” Someone sighs, staring at Wren as he takes off in hawk form.

“Look! Airborne is airborne!” Someone laughs. Oh, wow. That's clever. Not. Wren lands and puts his bird feet into his pants and wings through the sleeves of his shirt, hoping when he reforms as a human, the clothes with go into place. It works and he looks relieved, and I notice a lot of the girls staring at him longingly. Marina's reformed at this point, in a bathing suit and she glares at them, noticing the stares too.

Another group of people comes along, with Ray limping beside them, just as confused. No one asks her to do anything though, which makes her sad. No one looks her in the eyes either, always at the scar and her left arm which sways when she walks, and that's when they realize it came with a price, and that it wasn't just flying and turning into mermaids. Eventually, everyone is brought here, like in front of my apartment was the set place for the demonstration.

“So what is it you wanted to give us?” I ask.

“Just a cake.” Tyra says and one girl goes to get it from her car. When she takes it I see it has our faces printed on the frosting.

“That's slightly terrifying...” Bry whispers to me. I giggle and nod, but we all eat (including the people from school, its a huge cake.) While we eat we talk and joke and stuff, still feeling a little strange with the people. I'm talking with Ray and a guy named Lloyd (who is completely and totally gay) when I notice Illiana slip Ash a folded piece of paper. Okay, now I really want to blow her head off. After we eat we all kind of awkwardly slip away, just feeling weird about the people who are practically worshiping us.

When Ash and I are safely back in my apartment we burst into laughter, then remember about the awkwardness between us and stop. I retreat to my room, a little upset.

It would be so easy to be with him, we both want to be together, we're perfect together, but I can't. I just can't ruin someone like that. I change into pajama pants and a comfy sweater, even though it's summer I'm always cold.

Ash could warm you up. Shut up, brain! Damn unwelcome thoughts. After a little bit of laptop-ing and contemplating the universe, I start to get bored, which means I'm hungry. Because who doesn't eat when they're bored? I venture out of my room in my fuzzy socks and see Ash staring at the piece of paper. I can see what's written on it, a number, as I had thought. He picks up his phone and stares at both of them. Horror grows as I watch him dial the number.

“Hey, Illiana, it's Ash.”

Pause.

“Yeah, I was wondering if you wanted to go out sometime.”

Pause.

“Great! What day is good for you?”

Pause.

“Okay, Friday, six o'clock. Just text me your address.”

Pause.

“Bye.”

I watch as he hangs up, my appetite completely gone. He leans over and turns off the lamp. I hear rustling as he settles down under the blanket. He picks up his phone and stares at the screen for a bit.

“If only that had been her.” He sighs and puts the phone down. I don't know whether or not to say something or not, but eventually I decide on saying something. “If you wished it was me, why did you make a date with her?!” I hear a thud as Ash falls off the couch, startled.

He turns on the lamp, “You scared the s**t out of me!” He says.

“Sorry.” I shrug.

“And who says I meant that? I meant I wish I was in love with Illiana, because at least she could give me a chance.” He spits.

“I didn't choose to be like this!” I yell and then run back into my room.

It would be so much easier if I was just normal. That's all I've ever wanted, first it was to have a normal name, then to be a normal height, and now to actually be a human would be freaking great.

I just want the final battle to come so I can stop using my powers, and at least pretend I'm normal.



© 2012 Sophie


Author's Note

Sophie
sorry it took so long!
reviews please!
Also, I'm rethinking the title "One of Eight", any suggestions?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I didnt see any mistakes. Not my thing but it was written well :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


I can't wait for the next chapter. I thought you were done with this book I have loved so much. I was cheaking writers cafe on my phone, almost dropping it when I saw airborne!!!!! Can't believe air and ash are fighting, it makes me so sad.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sophie

11 Years Ago

Glad you like it so much!
>:(

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

402 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 17, 2012
Last Updated on September 17, 2012

We Are the Children


Author

Sophie
Sophie

-, MA



About
I'm 16 in my sophomore year of high school, I started on this site when i was 14, took about a year break and now i might be back, im just fixing my description because i was annoying as f**k last yea.. more..

Writing
untitled untitled

A Poem by Sophie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Present Present

A Chapter by Sophie


Captured Captured

A Chapter by Sophie


SOME NIGHTS SOME NIGHTS

A Poem by afra