Five- Wren

Five- Wren

A Chapter by Sophie
"

chapter 5 of airborne

"

Chapter 5


Wren


Have you ever felt the sea

The sea of uncertainty

And questioned whether

To let the tide wash you away?

Excerpt from “the Runner” By Brooklyn Anderson


What. The. Hell. I have some random chick I don't even know staying in MY room! I have to get up there and hide some stuff...

“You live on the beach?” She asks, slightly breathless.

“Yeah.” I say, not looking at her. She doesn't say anything or move, so I turn to see what she's doing. I have never seen a look of sheer elation like the one on her face, especially because her parents just died. Her eyes sparkle, whether from the reflection of the setting sun on the water or from their own shine. Her mouth quirks up in a smile and two suitcases hang limply at her sides, wind blows her hair sideways and she inhales the smell of seaweed and salt deeply.

“You've never seen the ocean, have you?”

“Never even a lake.” She replies lightly, like she was afraid if she spoke it would all disappear.

“Hold on.” I smile. I might as well cheer this girl up, and I don't want to miss her reaction when she dips her toes into the water for the first time.

“Dad, do you think you could take Marina's bag? I want to take her to her name's sake.” I grin.

“Sure.” He answers. Mom smiles.

“C'mon!” I laugh and grab her hand, pulling her toward the path that leads to the beach. We reach the end of the path where the sand starts.

“Okay, take off your shoes and close your eyes.” I instruct her. I do the same, except I keep my eyes open. I lead her, holding her right hand, her ballet flats in her left, and step onto the sand. Before I take another step, I let the warmth of the still slightly damp sand soak into her feet. Her toes curl and she breaks into a grin. I lead her further and the sand starts to dampen, she starts to walk faster, pulling me now, with her eyes still closed.

“Stop!” I say, “Wait a second.”

She listens to the sound of the waves and one rushes up and laps at her toes she gasps and opens her eyes.

“Marina: of the sea.” I say.

She smiles, “I've been told.” We stand there for a while, just looking at the shimmering blue grey waters. Until I realize I'm still holding her hand. I try to pull my hand free, but she grips it tightly, and only then do I realize she's crying. Crap.

“Hey, it's okay, you don't need to cry anymore.” I try to sooth her.

“It's not because of that, not for now, anyway. Well, it might be, sort of, but what I think I'm crying about is just in... gratitude. First your parents take me in, then, even though you seriously don't want me in your room, you still bring me to the sea. I just, just... thanks.” She says.

“No problem.” I reply. “We should probably head up, give you the tour.”

“You can, I wanna stay here a minute, just feel the ocean, you know?” She smiles through the tears.

“Yeah, see you soon.” I pry my hand from her fingers gently and turn and walk up the beach. Before I reach the path I turn around in time to see her sit down at the water line and put her head in her hands.

Yeah, not crying because of that.

I walk up the path shaking my head slightly.

“Where is she?” Mom says when I walk into the kitchen.

“Still down by the water, she'll be up soon. I'm just gonna go open the bed for her.” I walk up the wooden stairs into my room. I throw open the windows and let the wind fill the room. Then I turn to the blue and green couch with patterns of grey waves that looks like the ocean. She'll like that. I take the cushions off and pull out the bed. I get some sheets from the hall closet and pull them over the bed. I grab some extra pillows off my bed then throw them on hers. Now I pick up trash, underwear, dirty clothes, and random stuff from the floor and put it away. Finally, my room is at least presentable and I head downstairs and sit at the counter waiting for dinner.

Marina walks in with no sign of tears on her cheeks. She beams.

“The ocean is so beautiful!” She exclaims, it's obviously fake, but parents can be pretty clueless and they don't seem to pick up on it. She sits down next to me, and puts her sandy blonde hair up in a high ponytail. Soon dinner is ready and Mom sets the chicken and mashed potatoes and corn down on the table.

“Thank you.” Marina says. Marina starts to serve herself the sees what we're doing. Dad takes my hand and Mom's, Mom reaches for Marina's and I take hers. She looks confused, then recognition registers on her features.

“Oh, I-” She starts, then stops, not really knowing what to say. Dad raises one eyebrow, waiting for her to continue, then seeing that she doesn't, bows his head and starts to say grace. Once Mom has done the same, I raise my head and open my eyes. Marina looks kind of shocked and confused, like she doesn't know what to do. She looks at me like a fish out of water. Ha, that was funny. Dad says amen and I pretend to be just raising my head.

“Well, let's dig in!” Mom smiles. Marina's hand feels clammy in mine. I let go and grab the corn. We eat dinner. It's great, filling. After dinner I take a shower, Marina sits downstairs making awkward smalltalk with my parents. I get out and wrap a towel around my waist, I walk into my room and drop the towel.

“Oh my god!”Marina screams.

“Crap! Why are you in here?” I yell, scrambling for the towel.

“Oh god! I sleep in here! Oh my god!” She blocks her eyes. I get the towel back on me.

“All good.” I say. She takes her hands away from her face. “Sorry about that, not used to it yet.” I explain.

“No problem. I'll just go in the bathroom, tell me when you're in your pj's.”

S**t. Pj's. Now, where do I find those? I don't sleep in pj's... She leaves the room and I rummage through my drawers. Nada. Boxers and a t-shirt will have to do. I pull both the things on and call her in. “Sorry, I didn't have anything else.”

“What? Why not? What do you sleep in?”

“Um...”

“Oh. Well, I'm tired, I'm gonna go to bed.” She says.

“Yeah, me too.” We both turn off the lamps at the same time. Her back faces me, and I face her, and I wait for my eyes to adjust to the darkness so I can see if she's crying. She's not.

“Wren?” She says into the dark, turning over.

“Yeah?” I answer.

“Do you guys go to church?”

“Every Sunday.” I say gloomily.

“Oh, okay.”

Five minutes of silence pass. “Wren?”

“Yeah?”

“I need to cry now, sorry if I keep you up.” Her voice cracks on the last few words.

“No problem.” I say, not really knowing what else to say. I hear the sheets rustle as her shoulders shake, and I hear gasps when she inhales, and a few choked in cries. This is agony, not knowing how to console her. Soon her cries stop and she falls asleep.

I get up from my bed, the cold air hits me and I shiver. I walk over to Marina's bed, I bend down and pick her up. I carry her sleeping body to my bed where I tuck her in. I wipe her tear stained cheeks and settle down on the pull out for the night.

You know what else is agony?

I've fallen in love with a girl who is practically now my sister.



© 2012 Sophie


Author's Note

Sophie
thoughts? hardest criticism please!!!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You have a few spelling mistakes in the first few paragraphs. Read over it and you'll find them.
Haha, well then. I kind of believe that he fell in love a bit too quickly, but what do I know about love? xD
Good write, nevertheless. I'm waiting for more~

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Getting better Sophie. I think Wren would be far more stand offish for a while longer. It would take more than her crying to make him fall in love with her.

Posted 12 Years Ago


yeah, i believe also that he may have fallen in love a bit to quick, although who am i to say how people fall in love? you have a few mistakes here and there but other wise, good job! ;) keep writing! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


i agree that he fell n love too quickly but is sooo cute:) i love it


Posted 12 Years Ago


You have a few spelling mistakes in the first few paragraphs. Read over it and you'll find them.
Haha, well then. I kind of believe that he fell in love a bit too quickly, but what do I know about love? xD
Good write, nevertheless. I'm waiting for more~

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i loved it and it was wonderful great write thanks for sharing this with me keep up the good work i give you a 100 on rating

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

489 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 15, 2012
Last Updated on June 18, 2012

We Are the Children


Author

Sophie
Sophie

-, MA



About
I'm 16 in my sophomore year of high school, I started on this site when i was 14, took about a year break and now i might be back, im just fixing my description because i was annoying as f**k last yea.. more..

Writing
untitled untitled

A Poem by Sophie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Two- Ash Two- Ash

A Chapter by Sophie