Forty-three-Ash

Forty-three-Ash

A Chapter by Sophie

Chapter 43


Ash


Today is July 4th. It's night Airborne and I sit in a tree (k-i-s-s-i-n-g, just kidding, not really... yet.) I plan that in the finale of the fireworks I'm going to kiss her. I realized a few nights ago when she was asleep and her face was relaxed, and she was just her, all traces of make up gone from traveling, that I liked her, that I wanted to kiss her. And now that either of us could be taken any time, I want to do it, so if we never see each other again, I won't regret not doing it for the rest of my life, even if the rest of my life is only a few days.

I suppose that's what's happening to us. The other's say we're just being captured, but I think we're being killed. I just hope I'm wrong...

The fireworks start and butterflies start flapping in my stomach, having a freaking party. A******s. Do they enjoy my nerves?

I'm surprised no one from nearby towns comes to the field to watch, it has a great view of the show. Then again, we're in a tree.

The show continues as my hands grow steadily sweatier. I wipe them on my jeans a few times, and my stomach gurgles; the butterflies being digested, only after laying eggs.

I remember when I was little when my family was still pieced together as a whole. I had a school production, I was rock and all I had to do was laugh when the main character tripped over me, but I was nervous.


“Got butterflies in your tummy, Bud?” My dad asked, looking at me in the rear view mirror.

“No, I stopped eating caterpillars when I got sick, remember?” I answer, confused.

Dad laughs, “Not literally, 'butterflies in your stomach' means you're nervous, it feels like there are butterflies flying in your belly.”

“Oh... yeah, I guess.” I say, watching the drops of water fly off the car window. “Jack, you got butterflies in your stomach?” I ask him eagerly, hoping he doesn't know what it means and I'll have to explain. Making me smarter.

“No, I'm not even in the play.” He says. Eleven year olds are booorriing! He never wants to play, if only he was six, like me. Maybe then he'd play. We get to the school and the butterflies fly faster...

“None of my friends ever wanted to do this with me, or my dad, so I'm glad I finally have a friend to...” She starts, jarring me from the memory, but then trails off at a particularly pretty firework.

“Um, hello? Air? You were saying?” I say.

“Oh, yeah, I was saying, you're so nice and you can talk about everything, you're such a great friend, I wish I had a guy like you.” There's a moment of silence.

“Air, I AM A GUY LIKE ME!” I say, rather desperately and loud. Then the finale starts and I jerk my body into motion and awkwardly turn Air's face to mine. My body gets used to moving again as I tilt up her chin and bring my lips tentatively to hers.

They are soft and compliant, kissing me back quite skillfully, I should add. I pull back and before she can say anything I say, “I would have asked you out first, but considering we're on the run, I thought it was unnecessary.” I talk way too fast, way too rushed, and way too smiley. The fireworks stop above us.

“Um... um. Um.” She manages, that seems to be all she can say.

“Was our first kiss that bad?” I ask, now worried, the butterflies back.

“Um, no,” her voice shakes, “it's just- I-” She flies off away from me, leaving me alone in the tree, wondering what I did wrong.


After the fireworks I land in the camp, Airborne sits on her sleeping bag and looks away. I feel myself practically deflate.

“Airborne Marie Casey, I need to talk to you this instant.” Bry demands, catching the glance, the looking away, and my sadness.

Maybe she's just confused or... what if she likes someone else! I think I was her first kiss, though she was, ahem, quite good for her first kiss. A natural really. I had to read articles online and girly magazines to see what girls liked and how to do it before I even tried when I was thirteen. I had a Justin Beiber haircut back then, what was wrong with me?! It was before J Beibs, so I wouldn't have known. Now when I look at the school picture from that year, I shudder.

Maybe she'll come around.

If so, how are we going to break it to Air's dad that I'm not gay? That'll be awkward. I can see it now:

“Hey, um, Mr. Casey, so I'm not gay and I've kissed your daughter, I hope you don't mind... Also, I didn't kidnap her for (insert amount of time here) we were on the run from an ancient 10 foot tall red guy who wants to control the human race and/or turn them all into different sorts of monsters. And we had to do that 'cause I could just burn you to death with my hands, and Air can fly... Yeah, so... sorry for lying.”

That would go over well.



© 2012 Sophie


Author's Note

Sophie
reviews please!
I've been waiting for it to be July 4th in this book for so long.
So. Long.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You've crushed my dreams.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Haha lovin' it still

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

300 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 27, 2012
Last Updated on June 27, 2012

We Are the Children


Author

Sophie
Sophie

-, MA



About
I'm 16 in my sophomore year of high school, I started on this site when i was 14, took about a year break and now i might be back, im just fixing my description because i was annoying as f**k last yea.. more..

Writing
untitled untitled

A Poem by Sophie