One- Airborne

One- Airborne

A Chapter by Sophie
"

Airborne's POV

"

One


Airborne (Air)


The thunder roars:

A starved lion caged

The trees sway

As though they wish to run

But cannot brake the earth’s grip

Mother Earth cries

And raindrops plummet to the ground

(An excerpt from “Storm”, by Brooklyn Anderson)



I'm your average teenage girl. I'm obsessed with Taylor Lautner, I listen to music way too loud, I wish my hair was perfectly straight, I have self-esteem issues, and there is one girl who I despise.

And I'm about to find out I'm NOT so normal, let's take a looky, shall we?

“Hey! Hey, Small-Fry-” Really, that's the best insult she could come up with? Dumb fake-blonde. “- Wait up!” Missy catches up with me. She looks down at me pointedly.

“I get it, I'm short, you would be too if you were born four months early on a freaking plane.”

“And that's also the reason for your freakish name, Airborne?”

“I don't know, ask my mom, IN HELL!” I say and walk away with my best friend, Briar-Rose. Her parents have sick sense of humor too. Naming her something out of a fairy tale, and because of a rose shaped birthmark on her palm. The funny thing is, she sleeps like a rock.

“Ugh, sometimes I wish a tornado would snap her up and bring her to a fairytale! Oz! But The

wizard has left with his balloon, so she better stay there.” I say angrily.

“Such a nerd.”

“Ha, thanks.”

Bry is the sweetest person I know. She's waiting for marriage to have sex, she never groans in class when the teacher says that we have extra homework, and she never goes out with a guy her dad doesn't approve of. It's like she's too perfect. But even she hates Missy. Bry even looks perfect. She has perfect strawberry blonde/brownish hair that falls in big thick, swirling curls. Her leaf green eyes sparkle and are framed by long eyelashes. Her only imperfection is that birthmark, and it's a flower!

The sky had been darkening lately, and I hear someone scream. I look behind me and a boy is pointing at the clouds. A dark, swirling funnel shape extends toward the ground, a hand reaching out menacingly, and Missy is too busy practically humping her boyfriend, Jasper, to notice. It stretches out and suddenly, she's ripped into the air, gone. Leaving only a lingering scream in her wake.

“Oh my God, I didn't mean it.” I whisper. Strands of hair whip into my face and the sky opens up and pours. The landscape in the distance blurs from the falling rain.We all stand there staring at the spot where she stood, suddenly a collective cry escapes many of the people, even I have tears streaming down my face.

“WHAT THE HELL, UNIVERSE?!” I yell, though no one can hear me over the wind and the sobs.

Bry is staring at me quizzically. “We need to talk.”

Now?” I reply, incredulous. She nods. We hurry into the school and stand in the bathroom, dripping on the dirty pink tile floor.

“You did that.”

“I-I, it was, I-I, I couldn’t have, it was coincidence, a very specific-c coincidence. I-”

“Not on purpose. Let me see your palm.”

“O-Okay.”

“DAMNIT!” She exclaims. Briar, swear? This is officially a dream. She gives me back my hand, “Do you see that?!” She points to a blue swirl of lines, straight and then curls, right in the middle of my hand.

“Whoa, that was not there five minutes ago...”

“We have to go. Ah f**k! F**k, f**k, f**k!”

“What, why? I'm so confused! Explain what's going on, please!” The wind is picking up outside, I can hear it. Suddenly fire alarms go off, Bry let's out another cuss.

“I will later! Follow me!” She shouts over the howl of the wind and the screams of people. She opens the door. I feel immediate heat and look to my right, flames lick up the walls and encroach slowly on where we stand. Smoke crowds on the ceilings, trying to escape. Briar runs to the left and I follow her, as fast as my short legs can carry me, if they're half of my height, they're only 2'5”. I cough as smoke fills my lungs. I never thought I'd die of suffocation, considering I was born in the air. All the exits are blocked by flames or by kids trying to push their way out of the destructing high school. We rush up the stairs, she takes two at a time.

“Smoke-” I splutter, coughing more, “rises, dumb a*s!”

“That's the least of out problems!” I hear a boom and Bry skids to halt. “Oh no. RUN!” She takes off even faster. Why did we even stop in the first place?

“What's the rush other than the fire? There's no way out up here!” By this time we're on the fourth floor. The flames are on their way up the stairs, and I see something. Maybe it's that. It looks like a person, kind of. But it's eight feet tall and it's mouth splits it's face in a terrifying grin, spikes poke out of the tips of it's fingers and it's teeth look like drills. Oh god, I'm hallucinating.

Fire and the beasts made of flame now surround us, our backs are up against a wall of windows. Briar turns around and kicks one, glass rains onto the ground below and is swept away by the flash flood in the road.

“We have to jump!” The wind roars in our ears and mixes with the crackle of fire.

“ARE YOU NUTS?” I shriek.

“DO YOU HAVE A DESIRE TO BE CHARCOAL?”

“NO! NOR DO I WANT TO BECOME A PUDDLE ON THE SIDEWALK!”

She puts one leg on the ledge out side. “Do you trust me?”

“THIS IS NOT F*****G ALADDIN!” I scream as I take her hand hoping and praying she won't let go. We stand on the ledge, our toes poking over the edge. Water rushes down the street below and where trees once stood is dirt in strange designs, where the roots were.

“On three.” She says. “One-” She pushes me off the ledge and grabs onto me, piggy-backing me as we fall to our deaths.

“WHAT THE HELL?” I scream.

“JUST FLY!” She yells back. What the f**k? How!? I can't f*****g fly, oh my god, we're going to die. And we stop falling. Bry grins at me and a standing tree's branch stretches out to us, pulling us in like a mother would to her frightened child.

We sit in the branches, sheltered from the rain by the leaves that recently turned their darker green in preparation for summer. I sit against the trunk, my heart pounding and my head spinning. My hands shake violently and I realize I'm crying out of fear. I calm down after about ten minutes.

“What just happened?” I say, my voice catching.

“My god! Dude! That was amazing!”

“What was!? I think I was hallucinating!”

“Nope. Okay, let me explain. You are one of eight children that long ago were prophesized to defeat great evil. Then, a scientist came up with this new formula, a new “potion” everyone called it. It was to transform one into a powerful creature. Back then this was considered witchcraft and he was run out of town. But not before he drank it. In three days he grew to be ten feet tall, his mouth spread across his face and he experienced excruciating pain. Soon he was a bigger, stronger replica of those monsters you saw in the fire. You did see those, right?” Bry says.

I nod, waiting for my explanation.

“He created those of human prisoners he took, they didn't grow to be as powerful as him, and they're even more stupid. He's not a genius anymore. They were humans that were burned alive directly after drinking the potion, and they became his Fire Children, but we call them Fire Beasts. He takes more people and tortures them to sentence them to a life of pain, stupidity, and a four year life span. Though his is never ending.

“Then a new scientist came along, he was a childhood friend of Malum's, though that wasn't his birth name. He came up with a serum that would give one person the power to defeat him. They wouldn't grow, they wouldn't become a monster, but they would have unimaginable power. But the formula was stolen, and irreplaceable. He attempted to make it again, and give four people the powers, to have a better chance. But it didn't work. The powers never showed, but then a witch had a prophecy. She said that eight children, the sons and daughters of the four that drank the potion, would have the powers. But less absolute, less great. They would each have one power, because the four who drank's power was diluted because of their human mates. And the result... is us.” She finishes.

“So, I can do... what, exactly?”

“You can control the air. You made the tornado, and mother nature followed suit with the storm. The Fire Beasts look like fire to humans and they came from Malum's lair and set the school on fire, attempting to kill at least some of us. I don't know who is one of us, I'll only know when they use their powers or tell me. I suspected you, because of your name. We are all named something kind of ironic, but just because someone's name is Bunny, doesn't mean they have animals, so I can't assume anything.”

“And why do you know everything?”

“I was captured once, by Malum. He told me, made me realize my powers, and tried to make me evil. But with the help of the plants I escaped. Now, why don't we go pretend we escaped trough the door, eh?”

And that, my children, is how I found out I was anything BUT average.



© 2012 Sophie


Author's Note

Sophie
reviews and criticism!!!! Grammar and spelling mistakes greatly appreciated!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

soooooooooooooooooooo good! I really want you to post the next chapter!!!!! I agree with @SuicidePact. I believe that your missing the word "wish" right before 'a tornado'. I kinda wanted to know some more about missy and airborne and briar-rose. and can you describe the school a bit more, if it is not too much to ask? :) sorry, I'm inquisitive :P thank you for writing great stuff!
~Abagail~

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Insaaaaane!
You've got this crazy mind wave going on that I can't capture, but love riding on. This is mind-boggling and gripping and I can't wait to move on to the next chapter, and the next, and the next...
Great work
Of course
Koodoos

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lol, I love the "WHAT THE HELL, UNIVERSE?!" line, it made me laugh XD. This pretty good, I love the way you incorporate your attitude into your writing, it makes it more enjoyable (and a hell of a lot funnier) to read. Good work, Sofie.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sophie

11 Years Ago

Thanks :D
you curse?

...aside from that shock, it was really good

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sophie

11 Years Ago

no prblem :P
and I'm not :P
Grace

11 Years Ago

i'll keep that in mind
Sophie

11 Years Ago

okeydokey :P
I like the beginning. Allow the character to be real with normal life. I like how you added strength and power to them. I like the strong ending. Gave reason and purpose for the story. A excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is so totally Sophie


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Much better than your other work. This seemed more fluid a better read as if you were closer to this story not as forced. I like it

Posted 12 Years Ago


THAT BOOK WA SO GOOD! YOU SHOULD KEEP ADDING IT WOULD BE A GREAT BOOK TO BE PUBLISHED

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cool =D But really, was that amount of cussing REALLY necessary? And when Bry explained the plot thingy, it was a little choppy. Try and make it more fluid, also, if you look at my first chapter, you'll notice that the whole plot isn't written out right there. There should be less information so quickly. I understand that you're supposed to draw people in, but you could have done that even by just ending it with, "You're not normal, you're-" then have something stop the explanation so the reader has to read the next one to figure it out. Keep up the good work!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like how Airborne (which by the way I think is a really cool name), introduces her story at the start and then ends with restating that. However, there were times when things happened quite suddenly, and it made it a bit confusing to understand. Such as when Missy is taken by the tornado it just... happens, like bang. And although it is meant to be sudden, it was all too sudden and I had to question if I was reading it right. I think it needs a little building up to. The conversation also, was a little bit hard to follow who was talking.
Apart from that, I like where this is going, it really does look interesting, and there seems to be some intriguing characters.

Posted 12 Years Ago


soooooooooooooooooooo good! I really want you to post the next chapter!!!!! I agree with @SuicidePact. I believe that your missing the word "wish" right before 'a tornado'. I kinda wanted to know some more about missy and airborne and briar-rose. and can you describe the school a bit more, if it is not too much to ask? :) sorry, I'm inquisitive :P thank you for writing great stuff!
~Abagail~

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

953 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on March 8, 2012
Last Updated on April 16, 2012

We Are the Children


Author

Sophie
Sophie

-, MA



About
I'm 16 in my sophomore year of high school, I started on this site when i was 14, took about a year break and now i might be back, im just fixing my description because i was annoying as f**k last yea.. more..

Writing
untitled untitled

A Poem by Sophie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Soldier Soldier

A Poem by Sophie