Forty-Seven- Wren

Forty-Seven- Wren

A Chapter by Sophie
"

Finally! I broke away from One Direction! For a little while, anyway.

"

Chapter 47


Wren


I wake up to the griffin prodding my face with a talon.

“What?” I grumble. Above me is a blue sky rimmed with green leaves and branches. A few clouds puff there way across.

“Master.” It says, bowing.

“What?” I say this time, in astonishment instead of annoyance, propping myself up on my elbows.

“May Griffin speak?” It asks, still bowing, it's black feathers moving in the slight breeze, bringing relief to the hot day.

“Um... yeah...”

“Griffin has healed you. Griffin is sorry, but he had to hurt Master. Griffin speaks for other creations. Creations don't like Malum. Creations want freedom. Or death.”

“Then why are they taking us?” I ask, ignoring what he said until later.

“Some follow Malum. The Phoenix changed later because of Fire's mercy and tried to save Light. But Light was gone.”

“Gone?” Ray's dead?

“Gone.” The griffin nods.

“And Water, where is she?” I ask, urgently, hoping he knows.

“Hippocamp has her, we save, if that pleases Master.”

“Yes, we'll save her, and stop calling me Master, call me Wren.” My god I'm introducing myself to a griffin... The griffin bows in a signal to get on. I climb on its back and it's huge wings beat and we rise into the air. The griffin veers off toward the ocean sparkling in the sunlight. We fly over it until land is far out of sight, and we land on a black rock, jutting out of the water, a few yards away is a perfectly circular white dome, the top juts peeking from the waves.

“Water is in there.” The griffin tells me.

“Thank you.” I say. I jump into the water and visualize a dolphin, and when I open my eyes, I am. All my dread seeps away, any negative feelings melt, all I want to do is jump and play and swim and be with my friends. Oh my god, we could eat fish together! And we could swim! And we could jump! And swim some more! And do tricks! Make a shark mad!

The dolphin's mind is influencing me, I shake it off and swim toward the dome. I find the entrance, and before entering, I plow the water from my blowhole and take a breath. Being born a human, breathing out of my back is one of the weirdest things I will ever experience.

I dive back down and into the dome. I hear a noise and hide behind, surprisingly, a piece of furniture. I see Marina, and she's crying, but obviously no tears come out of her eyes, as I see her whip tighten around the hippocamp's throat.

Turns out I didn't have to save her, she saved herself. The hippocamp's tentacles go limp and start to float, and his eyes close. After a minute for good measure, she takes the whip off and it disappears. The beast floats grotesquely to the top of the dome and Marina brings her hands up to her face. I swim over to her and nudge her hand. She opens her eyes and looks into mine.

“Wren?” She says, it sounds weird, whether because I'm a dolphin or because of the water, I don't know. We swim toward the entrance and swim upward to the surface. I spurt water through my blow hole and then change back into a human, we climb on the rock, and her tail changes back into legs. She notices the griffin and screams.

“Marina! Calm down, he's an... an ally.” I explain. “Many of Malum's creations are turning to us for help, they want freedom. But not the hippocamp.” I say at her look of pure anguish, looking back at the dome. A few tears slip down her cheeks. The griffin bows and we climb on his back, a few feathers floating off. As I look back at the dome, which I now realize is made of ice, I see the faint outline of the hippocamp pressed against the glass.

It's getting late and so we stop for the night in the forest, the griffin covers Marina and I with it's wings and she quickly falls asleep.

Both of our stomachs grumble loudly, shrinking from the lack of a decent meal, but that's what happens when you have magical power and you're trying to defend the entire human race. It's a difficult life, but someone has to do it.

Marina clutches my hand even in her sleep and she talks a bit, sounding like, “I'm sorry, I'm sorry.” I pull her close to me and squeeze her tight, while tears leak out of her eyes, which are moving rapidly back and forth. I press my lips to her forehead and fall asleep.



© 2012 Sophie


Author's Note

Sophie
reviews please!
This is for Casquatch, thank you for helping me remember I had another book going :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Yay! *claps hands and spins in circles because I feel utterly happy*

"The dolphin's mind is influencing me" Sorry Wren, but you had a cute girly moment going on there. ;D
The way you described it, the Griffin sounded really beautiful. I'm glad he's an ally. anyway, it took me by surprise, having the griffin being on the "good-side". I like the change. (: And kudos to Marina for being brave and strong enough to save herself from the hippocamp.

*bows deeply* Thank you. :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sophie

11 Years Ago

haha, that's what I was picturing, one of my friends really hyped up on sugar when I wrote that part.. read more
Sylvana

11 Years Ago

I can see (; haha



Reviews

I liked when the wren wanted to eat fish and play. Heroes deserve those kinds of things :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yay! *claps hands and spins in circles because I feel utterly happy*

"The dolphin's mind is influencing me" Sorry Wren, but you had a cute girly moment going on there. ;D
The way you described it, the Griffin sounded really beautiful. I'm glad he's an ally. anyway, it took me by surprise, having the griffin being on the "good-side". I like the change. (: And kudos to Marina for being brave and strong enough to save herself from the hippocamp.

*bows deeply* Thank you. :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sophie

11 Years Ago

haha, that's what I was picturing, one of my friends really hyped up on sugar when I wrote that part.. read more
Sylvana

11 Years Ago

I can see (; haha

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

455 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 2, 2012
Last Updated on July 2, 2012

We Are the Children


Author

Sophie
Sophie

-, MA



About
I'm 16 in my sophomore year of high school, I started on this site when i was 14, took about a year break and now i might be back, im just fixing my description because i was annoying as f**k last yea.. more..

Writing
untitled untitled

A Poem by Sophie