Thirty-three- Nox

Thirty-three- Nox

A Chapter by Sophie
"

now, for what you've all been waiting for...

"

Chapter 32


Nox


We all stand together, watching the Fire Children take form and grin their terrifying grins at us, the drill- like teeth whirring dangerously.

“Remember everything we just practiced, we'll be okay.”

Ray glances at me with pleading eyes, her nonchalant-ness gone, replaced with hope that I've changed my mind. I don't really plan to fight for either side. Then I see Satelles. He'll report me if I don't turn on them. Can I make it seem like I'm fighting for the Eight while actually fighting against them? Yeah, I think I can. I melt to smoke. When I'm smoke, fighting fire really does nothing, it doesn't feel like a punch when I rush over the face of a Fire Child, only a cool breeze. But no one else knows that.

Marina makes water swirl around her hands, ready to go, Airborne floats a few inches off the ground, Wren growls, starting the transition. The fire advances, and hell breaks loose. Marina makes a huge wave collapse on part of the fire, extinguishing it, but it quickly relights. Air sends a blast of air, the Fire Beast's cheeks flap in the wind, but nothing more.

The sad thing is, I probably actually threw these once-people into the fire pit that would turn them into this. And they have no idea. Ray sends a shaft of sun down on them, but they just grin and their flames grow higher and stronger. The ring separates and sixteen Fire Children take to their chosen One of Eight, only one goes to Airborne, and I “smile” (being only smoke) at the surprise he's going to get from her tiny frame, how much ferociousness comes from her, after all Airborne is what started this entire thing.

Fire Children have about the same intelligence as a ten year old human, so commands are usually taken. So when I flood myself over one and whisper Pretend you were just punched really hard in the face, he does. I continue this, while one of my particles watches for weakness in the other Seven.

I continue to “fight” the Fire Children, I watch as Airborne confuses one by flying above it, then slicing off it's arm with a blade of air, it turns to ash and blows away in the wind. A Fire Child, standing back, waiting for an opening to fight seizes it's chance and charges at Airborne with his ax, but she's too high up but he manages to slice a deep gash in her ankle with the rusty weapon. Briar-Rose and Marina fight a Child together, Marina repeatedly douses him with water so often that he can't relight and Briar-Rose strangles it with vines growing from the sand. With it's last breath it roars flame at them, completely burning Bry while only singeing Marina's hair, which she quickly puts out.

The Fire Child blends with the sand, turning into tiny grains of glass.

“Nox! Change back and just suck them out of existence!” Ash yells over the incredibly loud crackle of fire.

I can't! They're too big!” I yell in my whispery voice. They aren't really, I could easily end this battle right here and right now, but Satelles is here, and I don't know how sucking him into oblivion will go...

Then I notice a weakness in Jasper. I pretend to hit another Fire Child. Now, see the brown haired boy? He's too busy protecting the blonde girl, send a fire blast at him. The Child does, but having the mental capacity of a child, aims too far to the left and the torrent of flame heads straight for Ray.

“NO!” My real voice roars out, I'm human in the fastest transition I've ever done. I throw myself in the path of the flames, but Jasper reaches it for me, his body completely engulfed in fire. Without even thinking, the remaining Fire Children are crushed in a wall of shadow, so opaque it looks like a building just dropped on them. They are all dead within less than a second. Then I realize my underwear (the really tight kind) transitioned with me.

Satelles still stands, “Nox. What have you done?” I know full well that Satelles could easily kill us all within seconds, but he'll pretend to give us a fighting chance.

“I don't fight for Malum anymore. I am not your slave any longer. I am one of eight, and I'll fight for that.” The others look confused and Ash whispers, “What?!”

“It looks like seven.” Pause. “The eight looks more like.” Pause. “Meat than a human.” He spits the word.

“Whatever the numbers, whatever the odds, I have made my choice.”

Ray beams at me, in her sunshiny way, her eyes shining in the way I memorized.

“Suits me.” “I never liked you.” Then he turns to Briar-Rose, lifting up her chin with two fingers. “Now you, my pet.” “You I liked.” Bry shakes like a flower in the breeze and a sob rips from her throat, but she manages to keep defiant eye contact. “I will be back.” “My pet.” Tears well over in her eyes, he must have called her that when she was in Malum's custody.

He steps back, the ashes of his army swirling behind him, and then he's gone.

“Thank you, thank you for choosing right.” Ray says and kisses my cheek. Behind her, Bry collapses to the ground in shuddering sobs. Air limps over and hugs her, leaving a dripping trail of blood, and whispers soothing words.

“Let's tend to injuries and then Nox, you have some explaining to do.” Ash says. We kneel next to Jasper who is unconscious... very.

“What can we do?” Ray asks.

“Ash, can you take the fire out of him?”

“Probably...” Ash says. He places his hands above Jasper, but not touching the charred skin. Then when he moves them away fire follows them and then extinguishes, in his sleep, Jasper sighs.

“Hey, the first time he got burnt, did Bry say something about water being able to heal him?” Ray remembers.

“Oh yeah!” I nod, “Marina, get enough water to cover his body.”

“Okay.” She motions to the water and it balls in front of her hands, ready to go.

“Just, like, put on him... and focus I guess...” Ray says. Marina spreads it over him, except his face, and then closes her eyes. Her nose scrunches up and her brow furrows. Next to her one side of Wren's mouth quirks up. I find myself smiling like that at Ray in my head and quickly dismiss the image.

The blisters on his skin fade and the blackness turns to red. Eventually, he resembles himself. And luckily his face missed most of the blast. He opens his eyes and groans.

He says, snapping me out of the fantasy I let myself slip into again, where the smiles progressed into something else with our lips, “Is Ray okay?”

Then I remember I'm in my underwear.



© 2012 Sophie


Author's Note

Sophie
:D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Haha Nox in tighty-whities

Posted 11 Years Ago


YES! I knew Nox was awesome and on the good side!!!!! poor Jasper though! I feel so bad, even if he is mostly healed...and Thank you for uploading this chapter!!! It was total awesomeness!!!! Keep writing!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nox choose the good side...
Can't wait to see what happens next.Nice chapter.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Amazing(:

Posted 11 Years Ago


jdihdf so amazing! I can't wait to see how the rest will go, now that Nox chose the good side. I wonder if all this "romance" will distract them... but who knows?

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

458 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 6, 2012
Last Updated on June 6, 2012

We Are the Children


Author

Sophie
Sophie

-, MA



About
I'm 16 in my sophomore year of high school, I started on this site when i was 14, took about a year break and now i might be back, im just fixing my description because i was annoying as f**k last yea.. more..

Writing
untitled untitled

A Poem by Sophie