Forty-Five- Ray

Forty-Five- Ray

A Chapter by Sophie

Chapter 45


Ray


Nox is lying face down on the ground, I didn't want anything getting into his wounds. Every once in a while my hand will twitch in a whipping motion, but I manage to control it. He wakes up, his eyelids opening slowly and weekly, he's lost a lot of blood.

“Ray? Where are we?”

“In the woods, about a mile from Malum's manor.” I answer, helping him sip some water from a water bottle I had.

“How?”

“I-I- I blew it up. I exploded the entire manor.” He practically chokes on the water, he coughs and splutters, “You did what?!”

“The manor exploded because of me, I don't know what I did, I think... I may have had a solar flare. Like the sun does, except it came from me, every pore, I grabbed you, and somehow I could carry you, and, on fire, I ran here.” I look guiltily at the smoldering forest behind us, it burned so hot, there was no fire, only ashes.

I guess that's why the phoenix took me, because I'm similar to fire and she didn't know what to do, fight me or leave me, so she combined it.

And I didn't blow up on purpose, I took one look at what I had reduced Nox to, the memories of what he did to wake me up came rushing back, what he said to me, and I don't remember much after that, only emotion, only light, only screams, only Nox's blood staining me.

“Nox, I have to set your arm.” I say. It's broken at an angle, so if it heals like that, he will never be able to use it again.

“Have you done that before?”

“Let's go with yes, okay?” Before he can protest I continue, “You know, if we had Wren, he could probably do it, but we don't so just shut up.” His jaw snaps shut. “It's gonna hurt, probably a lot, and you're weak, but it'll be okay.” I bite my lip uncertainly, “You'll be okay.” My hands still quiver slightly and they are sweaty and I'm worried I'm going to do this wrong.

I hold his arm on each side of the break, take a deep breath, and pull. I hear a satisfying pop over his scream of pain. We are both panting, me from stress, and him from pain.

“Now that wasn't so bad, was it?” I say sheepishly, knowing that it was. His eyes are squeezed shut, his breathing ragged, after about a minute he nods, letting out his first free, un-strangled breath. I find two very straight branches and lay them next to his arms, then look for something to wrap it in. His shirt is gone, I remember taking if off to whip him. So instead, I take off my shirt, revealing only a sports bra. Could my life suck any more than this? Well, it could be just a normal bra. I rip the shirt to pieces, get the splints in place and wrap his arm so that it's immobile.

“Okay, do you think you can walk?” I ask, standing up and brushing off my shorts.

“Yeah, I think so.” He says, rolling over so he can get up. He stands, wincing in pain as his wounds ooze blood. We walk in silence for a bit.

“H-how many times?” I ask quietly. He knows what I'm asking.

“167.”

“I'm so sorry, I don't know what they did to me, they put me to sleep, and when I woke up, I felt like I was still in a dream.” I say, my voice catching. 167 times. I hurt Nox 167 times. Actually more than that, but I physically hurt him 167 times.

“What's been going on back with the others?” I ask a minute later.

“Well, I'm not sure, with out me there, it's only Bry, Ash, and Airborne back at camp.”

“What?! Why? Where are the others?”

“After you were taken, Marina was, then Jasper, then Wren, and then me. We don't know where they are, or who's next.” Nox explains.

“Wow.”

“Wren was bleeding badly when he was being carried away by a griffin. And...” He pauses, then the words tumble out of his mouth, “Jasper had just kissed Bry when he was taken.” I'm stunned into silence, and then: “O-oh! That's great!” I say shakily, I think possibly genuinely feeling that it's great. “Really, it actually is great, I'm just surprised.” More silence.

“What do you, um, remember of when you were brain washed?” Nox asks hesitantly. I turn to face him, “Everything.” I whisper. He's about to say something when he inhales in pain and grimaces, at least three of the slashes are gushing blood again, having been slowly reopened from walking. Thankfully we've just reached a river. I rip a piece of denim from my shorts and soak it in the water, and then wash the cuts. There are a few on his chest as well when my am was shaking and I couldn't aim very well, or maybe when he passed out the first time, I don't know. I wash those too, and I look up, inspecting his face for any stray cuts, or any burns from the explosion. He seems to be getting closer, why? Did I lose any blood? Am I over tired? Well, I could see that, but why is he leaning- oh. Oh no. No. Not yet, I'm not ready for that yet, no no no no no no no no no no no no. He is centimeters from my lips when I turn my head away, embarrassed.

“I'm sorry, I'm just, um, not ready, I guess.”

“It's fine.” He sounds dejected.

“I'm sorry.” I repeat.

“Really, it's okay.”

“I'm sor-” I start again, really awkwardly.

“I get it.”

“Okay.” I say, dipping the denim in the water again and starting on a new slash, by face hot, with embarrassment or held back tears, I don't know.

The reason I want to cry, is because I'm longing desperately to guide his lips to mine. I want so badly to kiss him like I've never kissed anyone else. But he shouldn't love me, not after what I did to him.

167 times.

I'm going to cry for 167 nights before I can forgive myself. At least, I hope that's what it will take.



© 2012 Sophie


Author's Note

Sophie
reviews please!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This chapter, Sophie, this chapter.
It was wonderful, it was realistic, it was sad, and I liked how they didn't kiss.
I liked everything.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Hi Sophie,
I don't know how you keep producing quality work over and over again. Very good chapter. The way you take a different vantage point each time, makes for a very interesting read.I think you got the ending right with them not kissing. Maintains the sexual tension between them for a bit longer.
Regards
Shawlyn

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aw man, they shoulda kissed. then it'd be all loveydovey and okaaaay :')

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

awww! I love it! total cuteness, between nox and ray! but nox just got rejected! XD I can see why ray feels so bad though, I'd feel HORRIBLE! Great chapter, and keep writing! :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

578 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 27, 2012
Last Updated on June 27, 2012

We Are the Children


Author

Sophie
Sophie

-, MA



About
I'm 16 in my sophomore year of high school, I started on this site when i was 14, took about a year break and now i might be back, im just fixing my description because i was annoying as f**k last yea.. more..

Writing
untitled untitled

A Poem by Sophie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Soldier Soldier

A Poem by Sophie


Forty- Ash Forty- Ash

A Chapter by Sophie


Fifty-Nine- Ray Fifty-Nine- Ray

A Chapter by Sophie


Thirty-Six- Ray Thirty-Six- Ray

A Chapter by Sophie