Fifty-Two- Wren

Fifty-Two- Wren

A Chapter by Sophie

Chapter 52


Wren


We get back to camp in a much worse mood than before. Are my parents assuming I'm dead? Is the world assuming we're dead?

And worse, how are we going to defeat Malum?

We sit down on the boulders and open the eight salads we 'bought'. We all wanted something other than junk food. I would've eaten brussel sprouts if I had to. They come with plastic forks and we all dig in, its a few minutes before anyone can speak.

“So,” Ash starts around a mouthful of lettuce, “how do we do this?”

“We don't know where Malum is anymore, we can't attack him. But I have a feeling they're coming to us.” Nox says.

“We need to train then, practice. Bry and Nox, you guys need to tell us anything that might be helpful.” Marina says. “Like how the Fire Children fight, what's the best technique and Sine's, do they all have swords?”

“Okay.” Bry nods.

“And what is Satelles?” I ask.

“Satelles is the original formula. The scientist who created us, way back when, made a first formula. But it was stolen.”

“So... without Satelles, we would never have existed?” Marina asks. Nox nods.

“Doesn't that mean he can defeat Malum?” Air pipes up.

“Yeah, but he won't turn, he's evil through and through.” Bry says.

“Okay, so strategy.” Jasper says.

“Yeah, so, Fire Children are cocky. In the first fight, they only sent one to Air because of her size, but she easily defeated him, so if we act weak, maybe less will attack?” Ray suggests.

“Maybe, but more can just show up on command too.” I remind her.

We talk strategy for a while, only to realize there's nothing we can really do, only hope for the best. Nox has a feeling it's coming within the next few days. I only have a few days to enjoy life. I'm not very optimistic about the whole thing, I don't think we're going to win, and I think Malum will control the planet.

It's night. I feel something is coming tomorrow. Everyone's on edge, sleeping fitfully. Neither Marina and I can sleep, so we go for a walk.

“I've been thinking about the prophecy. And I have an idea as to what the last part means.”

“What?” I ask.

“Well, I think it means, will our, um, love help us or destroy us in the end? Like, if-” She stops suddenly. “Wren, promise me something.”

“Promise what?”

“Tomorrow, if-if I'm injured or in trouble... Don't- just don't try to help me.”

“Marina, I don;t think I can do that.” I say quietly, turning her to face me.

“You have to promise. The world is more important than- than us. Just promise me, please! If I don't... make it. Just, keep fighting.” She whispers.

“There is nothing more important than the world, because you are my world, Marina, I can't not worry about you. I- I love you.” I say, looking down. “And we will survive this. We have these abilities for a reason, you know? It's... destiny for us to win. We have to.” I say, but really I'm not sure.

“Wren, I love you too. But destiny isn't set in stone.”

“Well, ours is.” I say with conviction, though I feel the same as her.

“'When the tight knots turn to loose strings, the bird learns to flap his wings.'” She recites. “Wren, you need to learn to fly, and I'm keeping you down. Water logging your wings... I'm the tight knot, and I have to untie.” Tears roll down her cheeks and she wipes them away before I can. “No, Wren, fly.” She whispers, and runs off, turning into water vapor. And invisible to me.

I walk back to camp, dejected. She's in the sleeping bag, her shoulders shaking, crying, like all the times before I moved her to my bed and tucked her in. I lie down in the grass and ball up a shirt under my head as pillow and fall into a restless, dreamless sleep, with one thing swirling around my head: How can I fly when I feel so heavy? How can I possibly learn to sing, when she was my voice?



© 2012 Sophie


Author's Note

Sophie
AHHHH!
reviews please!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

One thing: the lines in the prophecy that she said don't match the one in the prologue...you forgot to change it

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sophie

11 Years Ago

I know, ina previous chapter's author's note I explained that and I was too lazy...
great chapter sophie! I wanna read more! :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very nice.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

:P

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love how poetic the ending of this chapter is xD I think I'm ready for any surprises that come next!
And omg. You won't believe how difficult it is to read when you're listening to a catchy Korean song. >_<


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sophie

11 Years Ago

Why are you listening to Korean music?
Sylvana

11 Years Ago

Because it's a boy-band full of young beautiful men. xD And I don't like pop music where I can under.. read more
Sophie

11 Years Ago

XD

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

410 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 11, 2012
Last Updated on July 11, 2012

We Are the Children


Author

Sophie
Sophie

-, MA



About
I'm 16 in my sophomore year of high school, I started on this site when i was 14, took about a year break and now i might be back, im just fixing my description because i was annoying as f**k last yea.. more..

Writing
untitled untitled

A Poem by Sophie