Forty- Ash

Forty- Ash

A Chapter by Sophie
"

wrote this scene about a week ago i think, I'm in love with it.

"

Chapter 40


Ash


It's the day after Ariel appeared and everyone is still shaken, especially Bry, of course. We sit around the fire I lit for us, just talking and trying to ignore the empty gnawing feeling in out stomachs when Nox points in horror. “Phoenix.” He chokes out. We turn, getting up and standing in a line, facing the creature. All I can see is huge black wings beating steadily against the dark sky. The creature lands about 10 yards away and I study it. The wings are black and glossy, like a crow's but much, much larger. It is a woman. Black feathers cover all her private areas, but that's it, everything else is bare. Her skin is also glossy and has faint grey feather patterns, looking like tattoos etched all over her body. But what is more frightening than the blood red talons erupting from where her fingernails should be is her face. She looks perfectly human, except for the feather design, but then she smiles. Her teeth are like a vampire's poking into her bottom lip, except every single tooth is like that. The canines are only slightly longer and seem to curve inward slightly.

“For tearing.” Nox shudders next to me.

What else is scary is that when she smiles, you notice her eyes. Her eyes are black. All of, there are no whites to them, just pupil. And the scariest thing? All I want to do is throw myself in her arms. Being torn to shreds by her sounds like heaven. This is how she must get prey: seducing men.

“Ash, she only fights those who wield fire, if you don't fight her, she'll kill us instead.” Nox says to me.

“What?” I whisper. She takes a step forward, her motions jerky, like a bird's. She shrieks how I guess a pterodactyl would and flames burst out of her feathers, talons, and eyes. Then go out when the shriek ends.

What?!” I repeat.

“She's going to sniff us, okay? She's looking for whoever controls fire, that's who she'll fight.” Nox says, loud enough for us to all hear. Air's hand tightens it's grip on mine. When did that get there? The phoenix starts at the end of the line and sniffs Marina, then pulls back, a look of disgust on her face.

“Fire doesn't like water.” Nox explains. Then she moves on to Jasper who stiffens. She moves on then to Airborne. Her hand squeezes mine, I loose all feeling in my fingers. Then she reaches me, sniffs once and smiles, backing away, motioning with one claw for me to follow. I step out of the line and pry my hand from Airborne's.

The phoenix screeches again. And bursts into flames that don't die down this time. She beats her wings in challenge and squawks again. I summon flames to my hands. They swirl around ready for action. She screeches again, but this time sends a stream of fire toward me. I stand in the middle of it, feeling as if it's winter. The blast ends and I see a triumphant look on her face, then she sees I look perfectly un-charred, and shivering with cold. More flames erupt from her feathers in anger. She flies up and I do too, not letting her have an advantage. She swipes her hand at me, the talons grazing my arm, cutting four parallel lines into it. They well with blood. Hellfire appears in my hands and I swipe at her mid section, cutting a line in her stomach. Fire wells in her throat, and I realize that she's not fire resistant except for the places fire comes from. I hold out my hand, not letting the fire pass the threshold of her mouth. Then I move my hands down, and I see the flames go down her throat, being swallowed. Her black eyes widen and I see a ring of white around it, like a cat has whites, but you can see them. She squawks in sort of a plea, then roars in pain as the fire reaches her stomach.

“Surrender.” I command, proud of my voice for not shaking or choking. I'm not a murderer, this was once a human. She nods, tears colored grey with charcoal leaking out of her eyes. I extinguish the flame in her stomach, the flames on her wings go out and she lands, as do I. She bows to me, then speaks in a smoker's voice, “You are worthy.”

“Now she's going to smell the rest of us, make sure there's no one else she needs to fight.” Nox says as she walks, pained, over to him. She moves on then to Bry, then Wren and finally Ray.

At Ray she rears up, shrieking and grabs her in her feet, which look like a bird's, along with her legs. Before we can react she's in the air, flying away at top speeds. We hear Ray's scream.

“NO!” Nox screams, shooting a black arrow from his bow, even though the phoenix is out of sight.

“No...” His voice cracks.



© 2012 Sophie


Author's Note

Sophie
sorry its so sort, but how was my description? Any suggestions on what should happen next? Cuz I suck at down time.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Honestly I just want Ash and Air to get together. I'm kind of confused about the whole Ray/Jasper relationship (are the over/not over). Other than that, keep them coming Sophie :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love how you made your own version of a phoenix. It was unique. I liked the description, but I think there could have been more to it, it felt just a tad rushed. I want to know what happens to Ray. Was she taken because she's Light? It would make sense. Or maybe it's because Nox, who used to be on Malum's side, is in love with her...? Write that next chapter! :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


Nice way to end this and keep me waiting. :D I've read everything, so, far, and I have to say that I am really wanting more.

Posted 11 Years Ago


really cool chapter! I really think that was an awesome fight scene. Ash kicked phoenix a*s! and what does the Phoenix want with Ray?????? is it because light is close to fire, or is there another reason... I really want to know! keep writing! :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

611 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 18, 2012
Last Updated on June 18, 2012

We Are the Children


Author

Sophie
Sophie

-, MA



About
I'm 16 in my sophomore year of high school, I started on this site when i was 14, took about a year break and now i might be back, im just fixing my description because i was annoying as f**k last yea.. more..

Writing
untitled untitled

A Poem by Sophie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sixty-Airborne Sixty-Airborne

A Chapter by Sophie


Soldier Soldier

A Poem by Sophie