Six- Ray

Six- Ray

A Chapter by Sophie
"

chapter six of Airborne Ray's POV

"

Chapter 6


Ray


I think you are a light

Shining in that hole

As dark as a moonless night

And the stars

That dot the sky

Excerpt from “Flowers that Never Die” by Sophie Lynch


So, I'm not exactly fond of pitch blackness. No human is, it's hardwired into their brains to be terrified of it. So when I was trapped under a heap of rubble of my old school, smoke flowing in and the heat unbearable, AND in the pitch dark? Yeah. I panicked. And then, get this.

I started glowing. Sunshine seemed to erupt out of my pores, and I illuminated the darkness.

I panicked more, my rapid breathing didn't help with the minimal oxygen under the rubble. I frantically pounded against the hot rubble burning my hands in the process. But there wasn't any flames. If there was no fire, there was no oxygen. I have one more moment of, I'm GLOWING? before I blacked out.


I woke up in someone's arms, a mask was strapped around my face and my hands hurt, they still do, but less. I looked up, a fireman carried me and set me down in the grass. He pulled off his mask.

“Are you okay?” He asked.

“Yeah.” I rasped, my lungs burned. He waved over a paramedic and she knelt down in front of me and wrapped my blistering hands in a bandage. I coughed violently and she gave me another oxygen mask.

“Did you have a flashlight or something down there? We found you because of a weird glowing.”

“No. I didn't.” I rasped, refusing to tell anyone and be committed to a mental hospital.

“Huh. Okay.” They let me go after a few hours and I locked myself in my room, and turned off the lights and drew the curtains closed. I thought, glow, glow, glow and suddenly, light filled the room. I turned my head toward my mirror. Light shone in my eyes, the tips of my hair shot thin strands of light out into the room, light enveloped my hands and shot from my fingertips, my pores dispelled light. I looked like an angel.

I asked myself, was I? Was I suddenly an angel? And how would I find out if I was or wasn't?

Well, it's three days later and I still don't know.


I'm sitting in the local Dunkin' Donuts happily sipping my iced caramel swirl with Jasper across from me. Jasper was Missy's boyfriend before the tornado dropped her in Connecticut. Missy was my best friend, but she was a b***h to me, I feel bad she... died... but I don't have to deal with her anymore. Jasper is pretty torn up though. No more sex until he gets a new girlfriend.

“So how are your hands?” He asks.

“They're getting better,” I say, pressing them through the bandages to the icy, sweating plastic cup.

“That's good. So I was wondering, do you wanna go out sometime?” He asks. I throw back my head and laugh hysterically. I wipe tears from my eyes, “No! And become your sex toy? Your gonna have to deal with your hand for a while.”

He runs his hand through his brown hair in embarrassment, his brown eyes not meeting my gaze. “Okay then.” He clears his throat, “I, uh, gotta go now.” He picks up his almost completely full black coffee and dumps it, walking out.

I lean back in my chair, feeling like a horrible person. I take my coffee, get up, and start going home. I'm just so mad! I feel horrible! Like I broke his heart, but I couldn't have, because he doesn't have one, his heart is where his dick is. I see him a few yards in front of me, head bowed, hands in his pockets, not a cocky (literally) usual pose for Jasper. I feel my hands tingling, oh no, not right now! I've figured out that strong emotions bring on my light. That is one sentence I never thought I'd hear or say. The tingling turns to a warmth and I shove my hands in my jacket pockets. I look down, the light shines through the fabric. Crap crap crap! I clench my hands into fists, but I look down and realize the tips of my golden hair are starting to blink. S**t. I look around frantically for some alley to duck into. I see a girl from school looking at me quizzically, suddenly I burst into,well, a ray of light and I zoom at “light”ning fast speeds into a space between stores. She follows me.

“Ray?” She calls into the space, “is that you? It's Briar-Rose, I go to your school? Or, did? Are you turning into light right now? You can tell me, I understand, and I can help you understand.”

I need help, why not take it when it's offered?

“Yeah, yeah, that'd be nice.” I say coming out from behind a dumpster. She shields her eyes. “But how do I know I can trust you?” I add.

She waves her arm at a patch of grass. The blades grow upward and twine together in a thick band it twines around a rusted pipe and breaks it.

“Oh. Okay.”

“Can you turn off your light?”

“Um, maybe?” I try to at least dim it, and it blinks and dies. “There.”

“Okay, why don't we go sit in the park and talk?”

“Okay.” I walk out of the recently darkened alley. We walk to the park in silence, not knowing each other, because we're on opposite sides of the spectrum of the social classes in school. We reach the park, the little kids have all gone to eat lunch, so it's momentarily quiet. We sit under a tree. Briar-Rose has her back to the tree, she leans back, closing her eyes and smiling happily.

“So...” I start.

“So, yeah. You have light, correct? Well, judging by the boy who has darkness, you can probably turn into light, the equivalent to being invisible in the daytime.”

“But, how?”

“Well, long ago there was a prophecy...”


Sweet baby Jesus. My life. Has been turned upside down. I just don't even know how to comprehend this, that I'm the result of a scientist experiment/ witchcraft. What is my life now? A science fiction movie?!

“So I can turn into a cloud of white? How is that useful?”

“Spying.”

“But... can I tell anyone? And who are the others?”

“NO! You cannot tell ANYONE! Well, there's myself, Nox, who's your opposite, darkness. Airborne, my best friend, and Ash, he has fire. There are more, but I don't know who.”

“No one?” I say, my mind flicking to Missy, but no she's dead. And she'd just tell anyway.

“No one.” She repeats.

“Okay... I should probably go home now, let it soak in, try things out, you know?”

“Yeah, okay, I'll see you soon, we should have a training session. Saturday, noon?”

“Um, sure.”

We say our goodbyes and I start heading home, my head pointed towards my flip-flopped feet. The sun is setting and the crickets start their nightly song. Mosquitoes buzz around my bare arms and legs and I slap at them, annoyed. I focus on just my finger lighting up and it flickers to life, like sunlight streaming from the tip. I point it ahead of me, like a flashlight, though I don't need it. The sunset isn't very extraordinary today. I wonder if I can fix that... I turn to the sun and close my eyes I picture the sky turning to hues of red, gold, and pink. I picture the few clouds in the sky turning purple. I open my eyes and he scene gazes back at me. I feel like an amazing artist, or mother-nature, or god or something. I created a sunset.

I painted the sky.




© 2012 Sophie


Author's Note

Sophie
is the dialogue believable? Would a person (if this were to really happen) have this conversation?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm reading this whole story. I am really into it so far. That last little bit there reminds me of a poem I have. "The Artist" You should check it out. And the dialogue is very believable.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a amazing story. You have quite the imagination. You have create powerful and interesting characters. I like the conversation and how you ended this chapter. Thank you for the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


Pretty good Sophie

Posted 12 Years Ago


The dialogue is great, I have a feeling its waaaay more believable than mine. xD So good job.
Anyway, with so many characters, I think it would be nice if you could add in the description or something of who has what power, because I forget constantly. X:
It was a great chapter, just like the other five. Keep going. (:

Posted 12 Years Ago


wonderful work i loved it great job keep it up thanks for sharing this with me

Posted 12 Years Ago


I think the dialogue is great :) and yes to me it is believable

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

617 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 17, 2012
Last Updated on May 15, 2012

We Are the Children


Author

Sophie
Sophie

-, MA



About
I'm 16 in my sophomore year of high school, I started on this site when i was 14, took about a year break and now i might be back, im just fixing my description because i was annoying as f**k last yea.. more..

Writing
untitled untitled

A Poem by Sophie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Soldier Soldier

A Poem by Sophie


Far Beyond Far Beyond

A Poem by Sophie


Train Whistles Train Whistles

A Story by Sophie


Crescendo Crescendo

A Poem by Sophie