Excerpt 9.

Excerpt 9.

A Chapter by Glen Yumang Manese

Through the Eye of the Lens.

Excerpt 9.

Let's get to the heart of the matter. You can drive there. May be even walk the streets; if you're brave enough. Courage is always a welcome guest. You see them come and go like fish in an aquarium. A grungy man with long hair and beard. A tattoo reads: Triumph is fleeting. Torn and shedding into decay. Like a leaf who has fallen off the tree of life; to wither from the heat of the sun. He would be a bum by any words of the imagination. A hobo gone from train ride to every city willing to have him. He picks up a left over butt of a cigarette; still burning and half used. Exited from a red candy apple Bugatti window. Takes an inhale and exhale. You see the emptiness of his soul filter the air. Much like the woman who comes to join him for a quick hit. Dress to kill would be an understatement of her once youthfulness to society. Her purse traded-in on a shopping buggy from the local market. Filled with all her dreams now. Treasures people have left behind as useless as her existence. Carrying her purple heart on her chest. She breaks with a smile for a moment. Only to succumb back to the leatherneck skin of beaten hopes. They converse for a time. Sitting on the corner sidewalk. Passing time away; no one bothers them. Cars, trucks and buses go back and forth. The homeless set their camp and put up signage. Panhandling has become a way of life. A lifestyle change from the military uniforms; they once proudly served to protect and defend. The dirty soil is now a temporary home. They were use to in the battlefields. Simplicity at best comforts them; a country has all, but forgotten them. Posted: We only want your time for a moment; if can you spare. You drop a few pennies, nickels and dimes. A couple quarters and tuck President Jackson under them. At the bottom of their sign says; thank you in advance. As you hitch a ride on the next city bus. You see them in the corner of your eye. There is hope after all. If only for a moment of your time.


© 2020 Glen Yumang Manese


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I have enjoyed this story my friend. I will return later to read more. Thank you Glen for sharing the outstanding words and thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 2 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5492 Views
1 Review
Added on February 16, 2020
Last Updated on February 16, 2020

A.K.A. FAD Series V: Through the Eye of the Lens


Author

Glen Yumang Manese
Glen Yumang Manese

Follow me at Twitter tag: @GlenManese, St. Petersburg/Pittsburgh/Makati, Philippines



About
Me in a nutshell: I am currently, done with my first book of verses: The Onyx - Vena Amoris. Friesen Press finished in December and is out for release before the holidays at the end of the year 20.. more..

Writing