Pretending to Know

Pretending to Know

A Chapter by Emunah June.

"Wake me up next time you want breakfast," an overannoyed Winry said as she threw away her napkin.

 

I sighed and smiled nervously. "Hee hee. Sorry. I was so tired that I forgot I started to steam the rice," I said as I scratched the back of my head. Winry, Kirrah, and Al helped me clean up the rice on the floor, and Grandma opened the kitchen window to let out all the steam."Geez Koda," Kirrah breathed as she sat at the table. "I...I'm sorry, it's partially my fault. I distracted her by talking and..." Al began, looking upset. Grandma pat his shoulder. "Now now Alphonse. It wasn't your fault. Koda should be more aware of what she does while she's half asleep," Grandma said. Al breathed a sigh of relief. "Well, what am I supposed to do while I wait for our ride to Central?" he said a moment later. You could hear the boredom in his voice. I smiled, holding in my giggles.

"Why don't you and Koda start on your alchemy training?" Grandma suggested, and I found I wasn't smiling anymore.

"That's a great idea! C'mon Koda! Let's go!" Al said as he grabbed my hand. Soon, I found myself being pulled into the backyard. "Oh boy," I whispered.

 

Al sat excitedly in the grass looking up at me. I found myself deeply confused, and had no idea where to start.

 

"Um...okay...you ready Al?" I asked, hoping he'd become reluctant and say no. "Ready as I'll ever be!"

 

Great....Ed, please help me out here....he's your little brother, not mine!

 

"Alright...um..we'll start with..." I started to say. In the corner of my eyes, I could see Winry, Kirrah, and Grandma in the back doorway, staring at me and anticipating my next move. I looked back down at Al, who had the biggest smile on his face.

 

"Um...we're going to...err....um...ugh....we are going to...to brush up on our basic alchemy! Yeah!" I said shakily as I passed Al a long stick. "Transmute that into something. Anything at all," I instructed as Al fingered the branches. "Alright! Watch this!" Al said as he clapped his hands together. In a bright flash of light (along with the amusment of hearing Kirrah scream in surprise) Al was no longer holding a stick, but a flute. "Is this good, Koda-Sensei?" he asked.

 

Oh great. He's adding honorifics to my name. How can this get ANY better? Sigh...

 

"No 'sensei' please. And this is wonderful, absolutely wonderful," I said as he handed me the flute. It was a shinning silver, and the reed was handcrafted beautifully. All the fingerholes smelled of pine oak, and when I tried it out it played music beautifully. "Amazing work Al, absolutely amazing," I said as I passed him back his flute. With a not-as-brilliant flash of light, he turned the beautiful flute back into a stick and threw it on the ground. Kirrah came over and tugged at my sleeve. "W-W-Woah! Did you see that? What did he just do?" Kirrah asked me in utter amazement (and I sensed a tinge of panic in her voice). "Al used alchemy. It's something we do alot," I explained cooly, and Kirrah puffed up her face in frustration. "Alchemy....sounds more like magic to me! Koda, your friend is a genius! An absolute genius!" Kirrah said a moment later before clinging onto Al's arm. He blushed, then laughed nervously. "A genius? Nah.." he said humbly. "Kirrah, you must live under a rock. Alchemy is used all over the world. Nothing unique about it," I said, waving her off. Al sighed. "Hey, you didn't have to put it that way..." he said sadly as Kirrah let go of his arm. "Really? Koda, I want to see you do it!" Kirrah said excitedly, clapping her hands together. Grandma and Winry snickered, and Al looked at me. "Alright, Koda, let's start my lesson for real. Show me what I need to know," he said happily as he sat back down in the grass.

 

Somehow this all revolves around to me. Alright...well, I better give it a try.

 

"Um...okay. Well, let's see now. Oh! Al, before I begin, I just want you to show me one thing," I said matter-of-factly.

 

Thanks for the idea Ed. This will hopefully work.

 

"Alright. What do I do?" Al said, eager to start learning. "If someone doesn't know alchemy, and they want to learn how, what do they do to start?" I asked. Al laughed. "Well, Koda, you should know. Oh! Is this a test?" he asked, clentching his fists.

 

A test? ...yeah, let's go with that.

 

"Yes it is Al. If you don't know the basics, then how can I teach you? I won't teach someone that has forgotten everything," I said, folding my arms, and shaking my head. Al gasped. "No! No! I do know! I'll show you!" he said in fear.

 

With the stick from earlier, he began to etch something in the ground. Triangles? No. Circles? No. A big circle...yes. A big circle with signs and symbols.

 

"Behold! A Transmutation Circle!" Al shouted.

I smiled, then swallowed hard.

 

Transmutation Circle? Didn't Ed say something about that to me at one time?

 

"Now what Al? Do you only know how to draw one? How is it properly used?" I asked, trying to sound like I was interrogating him. Al smiled, then placed his hands on the circle. He closed his eyes (I figured he was concentrating) and soon you could feel the energy in the air being twisted and bent. Soon, light and energy flew from the circle, and sparks began to arise. Al cinced his eyes tighter, and the light got brighter. Soon, everything died down, and in the center of the circle lay a large samurai sword. Al picked it up and felt the tip of the blade. "Darn, I never get the blade correct. Oh well," he said as he showed me his creation. I smiled.

 

Such a hard design...I guess I'm not taking the easy way out of this am I?

 

Just as Winry was about to speak, a honk came from the front yard.

 

Yes! Saved by the Havoc!

 

"Al, c'mon! This is our ride!" I said as I dropped the sword and grabbed his hand. Al, who looked confused, simply shrugged and ran with me.



© 2010 Emunah June.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
Added on September 24, 2010
Last Updated on September 24, 2010

Reverse 2: Resembool X Shamballa


Author

Emunah June.
Emunah June.

Inside My Own Mind, Amestris



About
Shalom Alechiem! Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Emmy, and I've been on this site for a long, long time. There was an admitted period of absence, and for that I apologize, but I am back no.. more..

Writing