Faroe on Top in Islander Showdown

Faroe on Top in Islander Showdown

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following articles highlight the process of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and their demise from the governance of international football and the rise of Global Futbol.

"

June 15th, 2018

Faroe on Top in Islander Showdown

Solomon Islands 1-3 Faroe Islands

 

Eight minutes and three goals saw Faroe Islands defeat Solomon Islands in their first World Cup game, including a brace from Jógvansson-Hansen.

 

Solomon Islands went on the attack early and penetrated the box on multiple occasions. Nielsen, the Faroe Islands goalkeeper, needed a double save in the 22ndminute as Feni drove into the box, before Nawo fired into Nielsen’s left arm. Nine minutes later, he was needed again as Waroi shot from just outside the 18-yard box, only for it to deflect off Nattestad and slow enough for Nielsen to adjust his dive.

 

Solomon Islands’ momentum paid off when Fa’arodo received the ball from left midfield. His quick peel to Nawo, running forward from right midfield, found him without a marker. Nawo’s quick flick with his right foot unbalanced the Faroe Islands defender, while switching the ball over to his left boot. Firing from the edge of the box, right in front, the ball hit the top left corner, sending the Oceanian side into a frenzied celebration. As the whistle blew for halftime, the sense around the stadium was if a 1-0 lead was enough, as Faroe Islands were known for their second half attacks.

 

When play resumed after the break, with the Solomon Islands coach substituting Fa’arodo at half time. His assist in the first goal for Solomon Islands showed how pivotal the captain is to the team. Immediately, the Faroe Islands took control of the midfield and attacked. Vatnhamar broke down left midfield, before passing to Olsen. He took two touches, then firing with his right, the ball reached the top right corner before goalkeeper Bird had finished his dive.

 

With the scores level, Faroe Islands took charge of all momentum. Five minutes later, Vatnhamar again cut a through ball to Jógvansson-Hansen, who took a left-footed shot on the first touch. Bird ran out, but with the first-touch shot, he had no time to stop the ball. 

 

Faroe Islands then picked up the pace and attacked the struggling Solomon Islanders. Three minutes after his first goal, Jógvansson-Hansen scored another. This time the assist came from Benjaminsen, again from left of centre midfield. Benjaminsen won a 50-50 ball against Donga. He cut the ball with his left to Jógvansson-Hansen, whose right boot trapped the ball perfectly. He shot between two defenders and scored, effectively winning the game with the brace and receiving Man of the Match honours.

 

Solomon Islands did not lower their heads, and Nielsen again was needed for a glorious save in the 69thminute. A 90thminute shot from Donga that went wide summed up the Oceanian’s second half, and thus the final result.

 

The main difference between the two teams was the through balls to the strikers, and the strikers’ abilities to convert shots on target into goals. Solomon Island’s Feni had a poor game up forward. It would be wise for the coach to switch around for Molea with Waroi for their second game. On the other hand, the Faroe Island strikers scored 3 goals from 3 attempts. Olsen and Jógvansson-Hansen, along with the midfielders, will be confident they can penetrate the Mexican defence as the Russians did in Game 1, leaving a one-on-one against a struggling Ochoa.

 

Solomon Islands face a roaring Russia on Tuesday night, while Wednesday’s second game will see Mexico trying to accumulate their first goal and win against Faroe Islands.

Solomon Islands 1

 

Faroe Islands 3

7

2

48

20

0

1

28

75

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

6

4

52

17

1

1

66

70

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:stephenclark:Downloads:G.png35’ #8 Nawo(#18 Fa’arodoassist)

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:stephenclark:Downloads:SO.png45’ #18 Fa’arodo off, #15 Donga on

 

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:stephenclark:Downloads:SO.png 54’ #16 Waroioff, #10 Molea on

 

 

 

 

 

 

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:stephenclark:Downloads:SO.png70’ #9 Totorioff, #13 Naka on

 

 

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:stephenclark:Downloads:G.png51’ #20 K. Olsen (#10 S. Vatnhamarassist)

 

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:stephenclark:Downloads:G.png56’ #22 Jógvansson-Hansen (#10 S. Vatnhamarassist)

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:stephenclark:Downloads:G.png59’ #22 Jógvansson-Hansen (#16 Benjaminsenassist)

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:stephenclark:Downloads:SO.png 70’ #16 Benjaminsenoff, #18 Baldvinsson on

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:stephenclark:Downloads:SO.png 70’ #20 K. Olsen off, #21 G. Vatnhamaron

 

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:stephenclark:Downloads:SO.png 87’ #11 J. Edmundssonoff, #17 Færø on

 



© 2018 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
Added on June 10, 2018
Last Updated on June 10, 2018

Global Futbol


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing