(GFWC Match 12) Attacking Game Between Kenya and Lithuania Ends in Draw

(GFWC Match 12) Attacking Game Between Kenya and Lithuania Ends in Draw

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following articles highlight the process of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and their demise from the governance of international football and the rise of Global Futbol.

"

June 18th, 2018 (GFWC Match 12)

Attacking Game Between Kenya and Lithuania Ends in Draw

Kenya 1-1 Lithuania

 

Kenya and Lithuania have ended their first World Cup game with one goal a-piece, with goals from Olunga and Matulevičius respectively.

 

Lithuania started with an irregular team to their warm up friendlies, with intent on attacking from the back as often as possible. Freidgelmas, Česnauskis, Valskis and Andriuškevičius saw no game time as the Lithuanian coach, Edgaras Jankauskas, psychologically messed with Kenya’s pre-tournament plan by including Lukša, Černych, Grigaravičius and Verbickas. 

 

Both teams attacked hard in the first half. The Lithuania goalkeeper Gertmonas made important saves, including a mighty shot by Olunga. The match soon became end-to-end attacking, with the majority of turnovers resulting in fast breaks. Kenyan goalkeeper Oluoch would not be outdone by his counterpart. His save kept Kenya alive, where Grigaravičius’ pass found a free Lukša, only for Oluoch’s leg to halt the shot.

 

Kenya was first to score with Olunga’s great goal. Shakava passed a through ball to a leading Olunga. Free of the marker Kuklys, Olunga strode into the box and fired with his left boot across goal. The Africans took the lead, and hoped to hold onto that momentum.

 

Just before halftime, another opportunity came. Olunga crossed the ball from left wing, finding Omolo running into the box. His header, though, was too easy for Gertmonas. Akumu also had a chance from in front of goal, but the ball rose high above the goal. With the halftime score 1-0, the players left to collect a much-needed breather.

 

After the break, Kenya switched to having five players at the back to protect their lead. This meant there were less fast breaks than the first half, but it also helped Lithuania wrestle back a little of the momentum. Žulpa passed a through ball in the 52ndminute to a great lead by Man of the Match, Grigaravičius, but the resulting shot went so wide that another goal might have been required side-by-side.

 

Eight minutes later, Lithuania’s greatest chance came. Verbickas drove down the field with pace. At first it seemed he was going to pass to striker Matulevičius, but then kept running to goal. Then, as the goalkeeper ran towards him, he placed the ball in front of Matulevičius, just out of the sliding reach of Kenyan defender Mbongi. Matulevičius took it first touch with his left and drew level with the Africans.

 

The high percentage pass rate continued as both teams looked for a winning goal. Lithuania had closer opportunities. Chvedukas’ power left boot needed a save from Oluoch and a clearance by Mbongi. Then Matulevičius guided a shot wide of the goal, before his final effort of the game flew over the goals. The game soon ended, and both teams were content with the draw, though Lithuania will rue the extra chances they had at the end.

 

The European team will now take on South Americans Colombia, while the next day, Kenya will look to improve their game against France. With all teams on one point, these next two games will affect who progresses to the Round of 16.

 

Kenya

1-1

Lithuania

5

3

52

24

0

0

60

81

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

8

4

48

16

0

1

50

84

 33’ #14 Olunga (#5 Shakava assist)

 

 

 74’ #14 Olunga off, #10 Wanga on

 

 

 90’ #2 Wafula off, #4 D. Ochieng on

 

 

 

 

 

 60’ #9 Matulevičius (#13Verbickas assist)

 74’ #10 Žulpa off, #6 Slivka on

 

 83’ #18 Grigaravičius off, #11 Novikovas on

 



© 2018 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
Added on June 17, 2018
Last Updated on June 17, 2018

Global Futbol


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing