Belgium Win Over England in Extra Time (GFWC Semi Final Match 61)

Belgium Win Over England in Extra Time (GFWC Semi Final Match 61)

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following articles highlight the process of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and their demise from the governance of international football and the rise of Global Futbol.

"

July 10th, 2018 (GFWC Semi Final Match 61)

Belgium Win Over England in Extra Time

Belgium 1-1 (2-1 et) England

 

Belgium has defeated England with a Witsel extra time goal to progress to the Global Futbol World Cup Final.

 

Neither team made any significant changes, though England played Trippier down right midfield more than in previous games.

 

Belgium started strong early in the game, with multiple chances not taken. Hazard’s miss was woeful as Fellaini’s pass found him unmarked. Shooting from the penalty mark, he cut with too much effort trying to hit the bottom right hand corner and instead missed by a foot.

 

In the 10th minute, Lukaku managed to jump over Dele Alli and header for goal, only for the English midfielder’s head to get in the way of the shot and send the ball out for a corner.

 

The first of Belgium’s free kicks for the match led to nothing. Later, Belgium had a shot on goal, only to be called offside. Still they kept penetrating, with Fellaini at the forefront, though one of his advances to score was closed down by the English defence. 

 

England had few chances to advance in the first half, hardly entering their opposing box. The only real opportunity resulted in an offside. Immediately Belgium countered and found Fellaini, who passed to Lukaku. The Belgian striker sent the ball straight back as there was no avenue for goal. Fellaini dinked both ways, then found Hazard free, who hit the ball first time and Belgium had the upper hand at half time.

 

After the break, Belgium kept attacking. Fellaini had a near chance after receiving a cross from De Bruyne. During this time, England finally had a good shot that needed Courtois’ saving skills. 

 

Then, against the momentum, England scored, thanks to two substitutes. Loftus-Cheek, a surprise inclusion in the second half, outmanueovred Vertonghen on the right wing. He crossed the ball to the back post. Welbeck took the front position before Carrasco, who was ball watching, and headed firmly into the goal.

 

Sensing an English uprising, Belgium took charge across the park and tried to regain the lead. Hazard missed in front of goal but from long range. Lukaku had two shots saved. In the resulting corner from the second shot, the header by Vermaelen smacked the crossbar. Soon after, the referee blew the whistle and once again, Belgium and England were heading to a second extra time this tournament.

 

Belgium once again controlled long periods of extra time, seeking that second goal and thus avoiding the dreaded penalties. That goal came in the 103rd minute, thanks to a brilliant Hazard cross from the right wing. That cross found Witsel, who had shifted to attacking midfielder after Fellaini’s substitution, and he hit it first time before Pickford could close him down. The ball bounced off the back of the net and Belgium stepped closer and closer to a World Cup Final.

 

Belgium kept seeking more chances over the following ten minutes, resulting in three corners in a row. Later, a shot was half-blocked, while Pickford needed to save the Vermaelen header from the corner. As the clock ticked closer to the end, Belgium maintained possession at the back, before they could celebrate a mighty victory and a place in the greatest match of the tournament.

 

Man of the Match Witsel looks set to rival for the Golden Ball award. As for Hazard, he is now one goal behind Werner and has more assists than anybody else in the tournament.

 

Meanwhile, England played too defensively and did not create enough chances, only managing three shots. Could they have done more? The English fans think so. The team will now look to the Third Place Playoff and claim a bronze medal against the loser of Colombia and Germany.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Belgium

1-1 (2-1)

England

14

7

53

15

3

5

50

85

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

3

3

47

23

2

1

100

74

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:stephenclark:Downloads:G.png 45’ #10 E. Hazard (#8 Fellaini assist)

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:stephenclark:Downloads:YC.png YC 52’ #9 Lukaku

 

 

 

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:stephenclark:Downloads:SO.png 64’ #16 Meunier off, #3 Vermaelen on

 

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:stephenclark:Downloads:SO.png 90’ #7 De Bruyne off, #14 Mertens on

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:stephenclark:Downloads:SO.png 90’ #8 Fellaini off, #15 T. Hazard on

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:stephenclark:Downloads:G.png 103’ #6 Witsel (#10 E. Hazard assist)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:stephenclark:Downloads:SO.png 53’ #6 Lingard off, #21 Loftus-Cheek on

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:stephenclark:Downloads:SO.png 60’ #10 Young off, #15 Welbeck on

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:stephenclark:Downloads:G.png 64’ #15 Welbeck (#21 Loftus-Cheek assist)

 

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:stephenclark:Downloads:SO.png 90’ #7 Sterling off, #17 Dier on

 

 



© 2018 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
Added on July 8, 2018
Last Updated on July 8, 2018
Tags: Alternate History

Global Futbol


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing