Late Extra Time Goal Sees Russia Fall Against Belgium (GFWC Quarter Finals Match 57)

Late Extra Time Goal Sees Russia Fall Against Belgium (GFWC Quarter Finals Match 57)

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following articles highlight the process of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and their demise from the governance of international football and the rise of Global Futbol.

"

July 6th, 2018 (GFWC Quarter Finals Match 57)

Late Extra Time Goal Sees Russia Fall Against Belgium

Russia 1-2 (et) Belgium

 

In a mirror image to their Round of 16 match, Russia has given away a late goal against Belgium to bow out of their own World Cup at the Quarter Final stage.

 

Prior to today, Russia and Belgium had not met recently in the Men’s format of Global Futbol. In spite of this, neither team made changes to their starting eleven, with both coaches aware of their winning combination.

 

Belgium dominated long periods of play in the first half, resulting in two missed shots by Lukaku and an early Hazard goal. The lead up to the goal started when Witsel had played the ball from midfield. Hazard won the foot race, outmuscling defender Granat. Tapping the ball from his left to his right, Hazard fired a low shot into the goal and Belgians had the lead.

 

Not satisfied with one goal, Hazard searched for another from a free kick. Russia needed a typical Akinfeev parry and a clearing header by Cheryshev. Lukaku then came close twice, the second his best chance as he nearly slid onto a low cross from Hazard. Once again Akinfeev stopped the ball from progressing too far off Lukaku’s boot.

 

Courtois also needed to save a Russian shot, but it was Belgium who kept attacking. Right before the break, Fellaini’s run found the tall Belgian midfielder with the ball in the box. Zhirkov managed to pressure him enough for the shot to peter out and be collected easily by Akinfeev. 

 

Not much took place aside from turnovers, interceptions and dogged tackling (mostly from Belgium, who won the tackling count 33 to 20) for twenty minutes of the second half. Then, substitute Smolov stole the ball from Meunier after the defender received the ball off a free kick. Alone, Smolov streaked into the box and scored, sending the home crowd into pandemonium. It was not expected, but suddenly the world had a game of great significance. 

 

Dzyuba tried for Russia’s second, only to be stopped in the process of shooting. Towards the end of full time, Akinfeev kept Russia in the game when he won a one-on-one battle with Belgian substitute Batshuayi by sticking up his right hand and parrying the shot away.

 

For the second time in a row, Russia would head into extra time. Like last time against Guinea, Russia wanted to win the game and avoid penalties. Zhirkov had a chance, but fired overhead. 

 

At the other end, substitute Mertens was dominating down the left wing, having all the energy from coming on at the start of extra time. His cross to Batshuayi was perfect, only for the volley to be saved, and then Hazard was unable to follow it up with his head.

 

Russia charged again and won a free kick dead in front of goal. Cheryshev’s shot, however, thudded straight into the wall. Immediately Belgium countered. Fellaini ran half the length of the field with the ball before his shot was cut off right at the end.

 

In the second half of extra time, both teams struggled to bypass the defensive line. Russia felt the need to play for penalties whilst still attempting to score. In doing so, Belgium countered and caught the Russian defence in slight disarry. Batshuayi sent a through ball to Hazard, but once again Man of the Match Akinfeev saved the shot for the ninth time. Kudryashov tried to clear the ball, only for it to bounce off Akinfeev’s head. The ball landed in front of Batshuayi, who quickly passed Hazard into space. The Belgian captain struck with his left before Akinfeev had time to dive after rushing back into position. The Belgians had escaped a penalty shootout by the narrowest of margins. The players all breathed a deep sigh, knowing they had gone close to losing to the hosts.

 

Russia, on the other hand, can be proud of taking Belgium all the way, despite Belgium clearly dominating the game for long periods. Their attacking style is to be commended, starting all the way back in their 5-0 drubbing of Mexico in the World Cup’s opening game. Dzyuba may win the Golden Boot with his 6 goals amassed, though Jesus, Diego Costa and Werner (and now Hazard) are close behind. Though Gazinskiy and Cheryshev did not shine in this Quarter Final, they showed brilliance throughout the previous matches and gave their fans the kind of football to feel excited about.

 

 

 

Russia

1-1 (1-2 et)

Belgium

5

3

52

20

2

0

60

82

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

12

7

48

33

2

3

58

78

 

 

 

 59’ #6 Gazinskiy off, #10 Smolov on

 67’ #19 Samedov off, #11 Dzagoev on

 68’ #10 Smolov

 90’ #13 Golovin off, #22 Kudryashov on

 

 

 

 

 

 12’ #10 Hazard (#6 Witsel assist)

 53’ #11 Carrasco off, #19 Dembélé on

 59’ #9 Lukaku off, #21 Batshuayi on

 

 

 

 

 90’ #7 De Bruyne off, #14 Mertens on

 120’ #10 Hazard (#21 Batshuayi assist)

 

 

 

 



© 2018 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
Added on July 5, 2018
Last Updated on July 5, 2018

Global Futbol


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing