(GFWC Matches 43/44) Cyprus in Knockout Stages With Brazil After 8-Goal Match Over Poland

(GFWC Matches 43/44) Cyprus in Knockout Stages With Brazil After 8-Goal Match Over Poland

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following articles highlight the process of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and their demise from the governance of international football and the rise of Global Futbol.

"

June 27th, 2018 (GFWC Matches 43/44)

Cyprus in Knockout Stages With Brazil After 8-Goal Match Over Poland

North Korea 0-3 Brazil

Cyprus 5-3 Poland

 

Cyprus has stunned a lacklustre Polish side with a comprehensive 5-3 victory, while Brazil’s three-goal first half against North Korea kept up their winning streak at the 2018 World Cup.

 

Brazil attacked from the outset, knowing a win would cement top spot. Jesus was the first to attempt on goal, hitting the upright. Firmino then missed to the right in the same run of play.

 

Soon Brazil had their first through Jesus. Willian made a great run down the right wing. As he neared the 6-yard box, he slid the ball across to Jesus who left-footed it into the open goal.

 

Firmino was the next Brazilian to streak for goal, but ran into a fast approaching goalkeeper in Myong-Guk Ri.  

 

In the 35thminute, Coutinho sent a long through ball from near the middle circle into the box. It found Willian, whose first touch sent the ball into the top left-hand corner.

 

Coutinho wanted to get in on the action and shot from long range, only to hit post after Myong-Guk Ri pulled off an unbelievable touching save.

 

Instead, it was Firmino who scored Brazil’s third goal. Willian played Jesus out near the right wing baseline. The striker chipped the ball over two North Korean defenders, straight to Firmino, who volleyed across goal and over the dipping goalkeeper.

 

Seeking a fourth, Jesus smacked the ball from the edge of the box, only for Myong-Guk Ri to save yet another goal. 

 

After the halftime break, little took place as North Korea tried in vain to score. Instead, the only attempt near goal was not classed as a shot, but merely an Alisson save as he pounced on the ball. 

 

Brazil had four chances in quick succession, though Jesus and Willian were unable to outsmart the goalkeeper this time. 

 

Brazil ran out 3-0 winners and immediately began preparing for the contest against Lithuania. Meanwhile, North Korea, without a World Cup point, will seek what went wrong and prepare for the Asian Nations League, before attempting to qualifying for the 2022 World Cup.

 

Across the country, Cyprus took on Poland and within ten minutes had amassed three goals.

 

The first goal, by Mytides, came off the bar and in the goal. Charalambidis had Cyprus’s second with a long range shot on his left. His second goal assisted by Christofi came off the right boot and into the top right corner.

 

The game effectively over in the eyes of many, Cyprus saw possession result in more attacking chances. Soon Cyprus had a fourth, thanks to Mytides’ assist to Efrem, who slotted easily past the goalkeeper.

 

In the 34th minute, Charalambidis claimed his hat trick with a one-on-one challenge and a low shot staying clearing of Szczęsny’s advances.

 

By this time, Cyprus could feel the Round of 16 calling, however, Poland set about a potential comeback. Their half-chance before the break shifted a little momentum in their direction.

 

Poland continued attacking, hoping to get their first goal and start a fight back. The Cyprus defence, even without injured Antoniades, kept up the passion and blocked two of Poland’s shots, including the latter by Peszko. When the resulting corner met a Polish head and flew over the bar, pundits began to call the result.

 

However, Lewandowski, whose World Cup has been quiet aside from scoring two goals, stepped up. He stole the ball twice to fire two goals in a minute and wrestle back a slight chance of hope of gaining three more.

 

Grosicki joined in and attempted for a third goal, but only gained a corner. The resulting header flew left of the goal, much to the dismay of the Polish supporters. Then substitute Teodorczyk fired on goal, only for Georgallides to save it. From the corner, Lewandowski had a clear header chance, but it petered out to the right of goal. Another substitute, Kownacki, who came on for an injured Krychowiak, tried to gain the third, only to miss by the wayside. 

 

Finally, after the game was all but over, Błaszczykowski managed to score in injury time after Georgallides saved Lewandowski’s initial shot and the goal was relatively open for Błaszczykowski to score. Cyprus finished the game 5-3, glad for their goalkeeper and their defence to hold out a fired-up Polish attack.

 

Cyprus progresses to the knockout stages in a similar vein to Lithuania, and now take on Colombia, who topped their group. Can Cyprus pull off an upset and follow in their fellow Mediterranean brothers, Malta, who won the last World Cup? The signs are there, but we shall see if their defence can hold out against the likes of Colombia. However, will Antoniades be back, and who is going to take the place of Artymatas in defensive midfield, as he also picked up an injury late in the game?

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cyprus

5-3

Poland

7

6

47

17

0

0

85

79

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

17

10

53

21

2

4

58

78

  6’ #10 Mytides

  9’ #7 Charalambidis (#9 Christofi assist)

 10’ #7 Charalambidis (#9 Christofi assist)

 22’ #17 Efrem (#10 Mytides assist)

 34’ #7 Charalambidis (#4 Demetriou assist)

 45’ #9 Christofi off, #14 Soteriou on

 55’ #17 Efrem off, #21 Laban on

 

 

 

 


 

 66’ #10 Mytides off, #23 Nikolaou on

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 55’ #17 Peszkooff, #7 Milik on

 55’ #19 Zielinski off, #14 Teodorczyk on

 57’ #9 Lewandowski

 58’ #9 Lewandowski

 66’ #10 Krychowiak off, #23 Kownacki on

 

 90 +3’ #16 Błaszczykowski

 

 

 

North Korea

0-3

Brazil

0

0

47

21

0

0

0

76

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

13

7

53

20

1

0

53

85

  

 

 

 

 62’ #11 Il-Gwan Jong off, #3 Kuk-Chol Jang on

 62’ Hyon-Jin Sim off, #16 Son Thae Il on

 

 

 

 17’ #9 Jesus (#19 Willian assist)

 35’ #19 Willian (#22 Coutinho assist)

 44’ #20 Firmino (#9 Jesus assist)

 62’ #17 Fernandinho off, #15 Paulinho on

 

 

 64’ #5 Casemiro off, #18 Renato Augusto on

 72’ #9 Jesus off, #7 Douglas Costa on

 

 

 

Group E

Country

P

W

D

L

GD

Pts 

Brazil

3

3

0

0

+5

9

Cyprus

3

2

0

1

+2

6

Poland

3

1

0

2

-1

3

North Korea

3

0

0

3

-6

0

 

 



© 2018 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

48 Views
Added on July 1, 2018
Last Updated on July 1, 2018

Global Futbol


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing