(GFWC Match 19) Mexico Unable to Win Against a Fighting Faroe Islands

(GFWC Match 19) Mexico Unable to Win Against a Fighting Faroe Islands

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following articles highlight the process of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and their demise from the governance of international football and the rise of Global Futbol.

"

June 20th 2018 (Match 19)

Mexico Unable to Win Against a Fighting Faroe Islands

Faroe Islands 1-1 Mexico

 

Mexico has drawn against a hardened Faroe Islands side after taking the early lead, only for the European side to work their way back into the game and hold in defence to take one point all.

 

For the first fifteen minutes, Mexico went on the attack, needing multiple goals after losing five to Russia. An early corner after Nielsen’s save from Salcido’s shot led to an impeccable Layún header after 6 minutes. Mexico then continued pressing, hoping to gain a second, much in the same way Russia did against them.

 

It was not to be as over the next fifteen Faroe Islands fought back into the contest. Against the run of play, new starter Færo slid a ball to a leading Jógvansson-Hansen, whose first touch found the bottom left side of the goal. 

 

Faroe Islands continued pressing, with another chance by Benjaminsen on the half hour, but the shot flew overhead.

 

Mexico then attacked for the final fifteen minutes. The half finished with an attack by Salcido, only for Nielsen to poke out his right boot and stop the goal.

 

Faroe Islands shifted to a back five to preserve the scoreline and attack on the counter. Conversely, Mexico removed one of their 5 defenders and brought on Ayala with his run from right back.

 

Eleven minutes in, Salcido had a chance, but the shot was poor. Then Jógvansson-Hansen was one-on-one with Ochoa, who managed to get enough of his body on the shot. The same happened eleven minutes later, with Ochoa keeping the Mexicans in the game.

 

Two minutes later, it was Nielsen’s turn to deny Hernández with the goalkeeper’s eighth save.

 

The last attempt on goal was by Man of the Match Guardado after a long cross found him. Guardado cut back inboard to the free space. The shot, however, flew over the goal and Faroe Islands half-celebrated as they gained a point from a game they thought they would struggle in.

 

Mexico now look to their final game against the Solomon Islands. To make it through to the Round of 16, they must comfortably defeat the Oceanian side and hope Faroe Islands encounter a Russian side set on adding to their twelve goals. The goal difference of seven is not impossible, but today’s draw makes life difficult for the CONCACAF team. They will go all out attack against the Solomon Islands. Meanwhile, Faroe Islands, riding high, hope to produce their best game so far against the hosts. A draw will see them progress to the next stage, while a win will mean topping the group.

Faroe Islands

1-1

Mexico

5

4

52

21

1

1

80

80

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

11

9

48

20

1

2

81

78

 

 26’ #22 B. Jógvansson-Hansen (#17 Færø assist)

 

 56’ #17 Færø off, #15 Vatnsdal on

 

 74’ #20 K. Olsen off, #21 G. Vatnhamar on

 76’ #16 Benjaminsen off, #18 Baldvinsson on

 

 

 

 

 

 6’ #7 Layún (#18 Guardado assist)

 

 45’ #2 Alvarez off, #22 Ayala on

 

 

 74’ #15 Moreno off, #11 Aquino on

 

 

 83’ #3 Salcido off, #19 Peralta on



© 2018 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
Added on June 23, 2018
Last Updated on June 23, 2018

Global Futbol


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing