Two Goals From Jesus Allow Brazil into Quarter Final (GFWC Round of 16 Match 53)

Two Goals From Jesus Allow Brazil into Quarter Final (GFWC Round of 16 Match 53)

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following articles highlight the process of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and their demise from the governance of international football and the rise of Global Futbol.

"

July 2nd, 2018 (GFWC Round of 16 Match 53)

Two Goals From Jesus Allow Brazil into Quarter Final

Brazil 2-1 Lithuania

 

Brazil has progressed to the Quarter Finals after seeing off a counterattacking Lithuania, with Jesus scoring a brace.

 

Brazil had previously beaten Lithuania twice in their last two games, which were 2018 home-and-away friendlies.

 

Neither team made significant changes to their third game’s list.

 

Lithuania started the advances early through Žulpa and Novikovas. However, both shots were soft, and thus easy pickings for Brazilian goalkeeper Alisson.

 

Brazil then made a couple of advances, including Neymar shooting on the left wing and hitting the side netting.

 

Down the other end, Lukša provided a great cross, the only Lithuanian cross of the match, but the resulting header flew straight to Alisson.

 

Brazil soon penetrated the Lithuanian defence and scored two goals within five minutes. Neymar cut a low pass to Jesus in the box, whose marker was not tight enough on him. Jesus ran parallel with the 18-yard box line before firing with his right into the goal. Gertmonas may have touched it, but it did not matter. Jesus had a brace when he counterattacked and collected a long ball from defence. No defender could catch him as he ran into the box. As Gertmonas started to dive, Jesus tipped the ball over to his right and shot past the keeper. 

 

Not to be outdone, Neymar joined in the shooting. After a great series of passes, Neymar had the ball in a similar spot to Jesus’ first shot, only to send the ball way over the bar. Then in another attack, Gertmonas was needed to save the ball twice before the halftime whistle sounded.

 

After the break, Brazil tried to finalise the result early with a third goal. Jesus had a half-chance after stealing from the Lithuanian defence before they could properly clear, only for the attack to stop. Coutinho also took a shot from a great distance, but Gertmonas covered the soft shot easily. A few minutes after and Brazil was caught offside trying a through ball beyond the defensive line. Willian had a chance after Jesus found him free and running directly towards goal, though his shot missed the post by less than a metre.

 

On the counterattack, Lithuania found the Brazilian defence wanting. Novikovas cut the ball into the box from the right wing. Substitute Ruzgis had to backtrack, but quickly advanced the ball towards goal and shot from near the penalty spot.

 

Sensing a comeback, Brazil took charge of the possession and allowed the Lithuanians little of the ball. There were a couple more chances by Brazil, but both provided Gertmonas with easy saves. One shot that was not easy came from Willian after Girdvainis only half-cleared the ball. Willian’s header was about to tuck inside the goal until Gertmonas managed to dive and deny Brazil a third goal. In total, Gertmonas saved the ball 13 times, a great feat that saw him take Man of the Match honours over Jesus’ double.

 

Brazil now look to their game against Chile or England in the Quarter Finals, while Lithuania will hold their heads with some pride in taking the South American giants on and nearly beating them at their own game. They face Norway, Kazakhstan and Israel in the inaugural Nations League and will look to advance up the rankings further. Gertmonas will be at the forefront of this next challenge.

 

Brazil did not look convincing at times in this match, especially Neymar. They will need to sharpen their scoring when facing their Quarter Final opponent. Other areas including spreading the opposition’s defence to create gaps for the likes of Coutinho to lead into, rather than relying on the front three to score.

 

Brazil

2-1

Lithuania

18

10

51

21

1

2

55

85

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

5

4

49

15

0

2

80

78

 28’ #9 Jesus (#10 Neymar assist)

 33’ #9 Jesus 

 

 

 65’ #15 Paulinho off, #17 Fernandinho on

 

 

70’ #2 Thiago Silva

 70’ #9 Jesus off, #20 Firmino on

 82’ #22 Coutinho off, #18 Renato Augusto on

 

 

 

 

 

 45’ #9 Matulevičius off, #19 Valskis on

 57’ #10 Žulpa off, #14 Ruzgis on

 

 65’ #15 Chvedukas off, #4 Klimavičius on

 70’ #14 Ruzgis (#11 Novikovas assist)

 

 

 



© 2018 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

46 Views
Added on July 4, 2018
Last Updated on July 4, 2018

Global Futbol


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing