(GFWC Matches 41/42) Lithuania Surprise France and Join Colombia in the Round of 16

(GFWC Matches 41/42) Lithuania Surprise France and Join Colombia in the Round of 16

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following articles highlight the process of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and their demise from the governance of international football and the rise of Global Futbol.

"

June 27th, 2018 (GFWC Matches 41/42)

Lithuania Surprise France and Join Colombia in the Round of 16

Lithuania 2-0 France

Colombia 3-1 Kenya

 

Lithuania has stunned a disappointing French side to proceed beyond the group stage, while three early goals ensured top of the group for Colombia.

 

France needed to win to ensure top place, while Lithuania needed a victory to overtake France and progress to the Round of 16.

 

France attacked for periods of the first half, but they looked unable to bypass the Lithuanian defence. Their best chance came in the 8th minute, where Gertmonas needed to parry away Lemar’s solid shot. As the half progressed, France had a few more chances, including three misses by Mbappe and a hit of the bar from a solid shot. Meanwhile, Lloris came into play in smothering a Lukša advance.

 

Didier Deschamps made two substitutions at halftime, with the hopes of Giroud and Fakir to inject directive attacks. It would prove unfruitful, for Lithuania played for possession and worked their way on top of the French. 

 

Nearing the hour mark, Lukša received the ball from Matulevičius and ran towards goal with purpose. He flung a shot, which turned into a perfect opportunity as the ball sailed past Lloris.

 

Lithuania continued to dominate much of the possession as they realised their chances of progressing increased as time ticked down to the final whistle.

 

Meanwhile, France offered some last ditch efforts. The Lithuanian defence, however, remained steadfast, not allowing the French to score.

 

Against the run of play, switching from attacking down the right and using substitute Česnauskis, Lithuania came down to the left wing. Kuklys passed the ball inboard to Matulevičius, whose steady dribbling up front was integral to the Lithuanian defiance. The striker tapped with the outside of his boot away from Umtiti and in front of Man of the Match Lukša, who had no marker. His low shot caught Lloris off guard as he was running out to meet Lukša, but had no time to lower his body to save the goal. Elation erupted around the stands as Lithuania suddenly realised they had beaten France, and the knockout stages were in their hands.

 

Lukša had one last attempt in injury time, but the miss did not matter. 

 

The French, devastated, turned their attention to the result from the other Group F game.

 

Colombia went all out early, with plans to win and win big, hoping to snatch first place in the group as well as grab a greater goal difference than Lithuania. Rodriguez’s shot needed a save by Oluoch and a clearance by Ochieng stopped Izquierdo. Two minutes later, Cuadrado sent a straight pass to Izquierdo, who hit first time, only to miss to the right of goal.

 

With this sort of pressure, Kenya’s defensive structure buckled. Murillo found the exploited gap in the middle after cutting in to Carlos Sánchez, whose left foot thundered into the top right corner.

 

Colombia kept attacking, hoping to score a second. Rodriguez, deep in the box, turned and passed back to Uribe, who fired off the mark and into the crowd.

 

Kenya tried to catch Colombia on a counterattack. Olunga made a run into the box and shot with his left after cutting back. Ospina managed a lucky save. Olunga shot again, this time right in front of goal, only for Fabra to somehow block the shot.

 

Colombia wrestled back the momentum and attacked constantly down the right wing. Uribe, with the ball back in the centre of the field, played a through ball for Cuadrado. His powerful shot found the net, and Colombia could sense a win, and thus, progression to the Round of 16.

 

On the stroke of halftime, Uribe teamed up with Cuadrado to score Colombia’s third. After peppering the defence, the ball fell into open play 30 yards out. Uribe backtracked and passed to Cuadrado running past. This time, Man of the Match Cuadrado scored with his left foot, and thus ended any hope of Kenya winning.

 

After the break, Colombia consolidated their lead by continually catching the Kenyan attackers offside. Kenya tried valiantly, though their attempts amounted to very little.

 

Uribe, not content with two assists, sought his own goal. Two consecutive shots required two great saves from Oluoch. 

 

Meanwhile, Kenya threw caution to the wind and made their second substitute Wanga, and placing him up as the main striker. Two minutes after coming on, Omolo found Wanga from a cross. His volley tapped into fellow substitute Davinson Sanchez and popped into space. Stepping back, Wanga shot again, this time nudging the hip of Sanchez, followed by his hand, and trickling into the goal. 

 

It was not enough as Colombia ran out 3-1 winners and took top spot in Group F, thanks to scoring five goals to Lithuania’s four. Colombia face runners up in Group E, while surprise packet Lithuania have momentum going into their game against Group E’s winners.

 

 

 

Lithuania

2-0

France

4

2

55

24

1

0

50

77

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

6

1

45

20

2

1

16

76

 

42’ #10 Žulpa

 

 

 58’ #21 Lukša(#9 Matulevičius assist)

 

 64’ #22 Černych off, #7 Česnauskis on

 87’ #10 Žulpa off, #17 Kuklys on

 90’ #21 Lukša (#9 Matulevičius assist)

 

 

 

23’ #8 Lemar

 

 45’ #10 Mbappe off, #9 Giroud on

 45’ #15 Pogba off, #18 Fakir on

 

 64’ #5 Kante off, #14 Matuidi on

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Colombia

3-1

Kenya

9

6

47

22

1

0

66

80

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

4

4

53

16

0

0

100

78

  9’ #6 C. Sánchez (#13 Murillo assist)

 26’ #11 Cuadrado (#15 Uribe assist)

 45’ #11 Cuadrado (#15 Uribe assist)

 56’ #21 Izquierdo off, #9 Falcao on

 65’ #3 Mina off, #23 D. Sanchez on

 

 77’ #15 Uribe off, #8 Aguilar on

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 65’ #11 Were off, #5 Shakava on

 

 77’ #6 Akumu off, #10 Wanga on

 79’ #10 Wanga (#8 Omolo assist)

Group F

Country

P

W

D

L

GD

Pts 

Colombia

3

1

2

0

+2

5

Lithuania

3

1

2

0

+2

5

France

3

1

1

1

+1

4

Kenya

3

0

1

2

-5

1

 

 



© 2018 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

54 Views
Added on July 1, 2018
Last Updated on July 1, 2018

Global Futbol


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing