Bronze To England With Lingard Penalty the Difference (GFWC Third Place Playoff Match 63)

Bronze To England With Lingard Penalty the Difference (GFWC Third Place Playoff Match 63)

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following articles highlight the process of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and their demise from the governance of international football and the rise of Global Futbol.

"

July 14th, 2018 (GFWC Third Place Playoff Match 63)

Bronze To England With Lingard Penalty the Difference

England 2-1 Germany

 

England has taken third place in the Global Futbol World Cup with a second-half penalty the difference over Germany.

 

Gareth Southgate made no changes to England except in formation, with three at the back for long periods of the game. Germany made two changes with Rüdiger in for Hector and Brandt in for Reus.

 

England looked more dangerous early with multiple attacks, including when the Germans cleared off the goal line, and later a ter Stegen save against Lingard’s shot. Young also had a chance from a tight angle, but he was caught in two minds whether to shoot or cross. In the end, the ball flew across the goal and out of danger.

 

Germany, meanwhile, worked their way forward on the left, with Brandt having the best opportunity, only for his shot to be blocked.

 

England then opened the scoring after Sterling received the ball from Lingard. He outclassed the Boateng challenge, and then stole the ball off Rüdiger, before shooting for goal beyond ter Stegen.

 

Germany had two shots in the half to level the match. First, Draxler’s fire found a blocking English defender, before Özil’s blast needed the touch of Pickford.

 

After the break, Germany carried on the momentum and had the better chances. The best was Rüdiger’s header that fell to the right of goal. Then, Gomez made a long run down the right wing before finding Werner jumping over Stones and levelling the score at 1-1 with his eighth goal for the tournament.

 

England immediately sought to regain the lead. In the same run of play, Dier’s shot was blocked before ter Stegen needed to save the following shot. Still England peppered, with Sterling receiving a penalty, much to the dismay of the Germans. Man of the Match Lingard stepped up and ensured the English had the lead. 

 

Hoping to gain a second goal, Germany had two more chances. The first was a Werner shot that Pickford kept out before Cahill cleared the ball. Another shot was blocked, and immediately England countered. Dele Alli found himself with the ball down the right wing. He crossed the ball to substitute Rashford, only for the shot to fire wide. The referee soon ended the match and England celebrated the win, albeit slightly subdued, for the grand prize went missing after losing to Belgium.

 

England now peers forward to their first Nations League match against Spain in September. Germany, however, will have to adjust certain aspects of their play, but can take pride in Werner on the cusp of taking home the Golden Boot with his eight goals. Only Hazard can take it from him, but the Belgian needs two goals to draw level with him.

 

 

 

England

2-1

Germany

8

6

53

19

1

2

75

78

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

7

4

47

13

3

1

57

81

 39’ #7 Sterling (#6 Lingard assist)

 

57’ #12 Trippier off, #17 Dier on

 


 65’ #10 Young off, #15 Welbeck on

 

79’ #6 Lingard (pen)

85’ #9 Kane off, #22 Rashford on

 

 

 

 

 

 

45’ #18 Kroos off, #15 Gündogan on

 

61’ #10 Werner (#23 Gomez assist)

65’ #11 Brandt off, #19 Rudy on

 

68’ #14 Draxler off, #6 Khedira on

 

 

 

 

 



© 2018 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
Added on July 10, 2018
Last Updated on July 10, 2018
Tags: Alternate History, Sport

Global Futbol


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing